PDA

View Full Version : Finance Removing a name from a joint bank account in Tenerife

Jackie
20-04-2012, 16:49
Is it possible to remove a name from a joint bank account in Tenerife if the person being removed from it is no longer in Tenerife, or is there going to be a lot of hassle because they need to sign something?? Thanks

Medman
20-04-2012, 16:54
Is it possible to remove a name from a joint bank account in Tenerife if the person being removed from it is no longer in Tenerife, or is there going to be a lot of hassle because they need to sign something?? Thanks

As long as you don't expect any hassle from joint holder, then just transfer all the money into a new account. Otherwise you will need both signatures to either close it or remove a holder. (that's UK anyway)

Red Devil
20-04-2012, 16:56

If its an account where either can sign, rather than any hassle it might be easier drawing most of the cash out of it and put it straight into a new account in one name only.

Added after 2 minutes:

Snap Medman!:laugh:

mike in chayofa
20-04-2012, 17:02
Whilst I agree with removing the money and opening a new account, when I was in this situation (10 years ago), I went to the bank and asked them to remove the other person's name from the account ... and they just did it, there and then!!!

Medman
20-04-2012, 17:09
Whilst I agree with removing the money and opening a new account, when I was in this situation (10 years ago), I went to the bank and asked them to remove the other person's name from the account ... and they just did it, there and then!!!

Really shouldn't happen, but perhaps you have a persuasive manner ........ :gun:

Jackie
20-04-2012, 17:19
As long as you don't expect any hassle from joint holder, then just transfer all the money into a new account. Otherwise you will need both signatures to either close it or remove a holder. (that's UK anyway)

If its an account where either can sign, rather than any hassle it might be easier drawing most of the cash out of it and put it straight into a new account in one name only.

Added after 2 minutes:

Mike would you mind if I asked what bank that was please?
All well and good removing money from said account and opening a new one in one name only but then there are still going to be charges on the joint account that will no longer be used and also all direct debits are paid from that account so going to be the hassle of changing all of those :(

Really shouldn't happen, but perhaps you have a persuasive manner ........ :gun:

Maybe it shouldn't happen but now I have another question lol...what if the person that wants to remain on the account can prove that for the last three years any monies that have gone into that account was theirs and not the persons that they want removed from the account?

Medman
20-04-2012, 17:24
All well and good removing money from said account and opening a new one in one name only but then there are still going to be charges on the joint account that will no longer be used and also all direct debits are paid from that account so going to be the hassle of changing all of those :(

Maybe it shouldn't happen but now I have another question lol...what if the person that wants to remain on the account can prove that for the last three years any monies that have gone into that account was theirs and not the persons that they want removed from the account?

Probably at the bank's discretion but not normal banking practice.

Suej
20-04-2012, 17:37

Added after 2 minutes:

This would be the best option IMO! should be hassle free!

Added after 4 minutes:

The bank won't be interested who's paid the money in or which one of the account holder's the money has came from! It's not their business!

garlicbread
20-04-2012, 17:51
Assuming your original question was not just hypothetical, why don't you ask your bank manager what the procedure is?

Jackie
20-04-2012, 18:01
Assuming your original question was not just hypothetical, why don't you ask your bank manager what the procedure is?

Because as the bank is only open while I'm at work and every time I phone there is no one available to answer my question I thought before I actually take time off work and lose money to visit them I would ask on here first if anyone knew the answer. :)

Medman
20-04-2012, 18:02

You're forgetting that Jackie is a woman ......... :female: :D

Jackie
20-04-2012, 18:04

..one on a mission at that so watch it haha ;)

Suej
20-04-2012, 18:11

That is why she is doing her research first! very thorough us ladies!:neener:

Jackie
20-04-2012, 18:19
if its with one of the cajas i would move to a ´´real ´´ bank and put the money in .if you got a cash card just take it out bit by bit .

one thing to remember if the other person has there NIE attached to to it the social can just nick ALL the money in that account if he owes any taxes etc IN ALL OF SPAIN

Other person doesn't live or work here, only had NIE for purchase of house, all their taxes are paid in the UK

Jackie
20-04-2012, 18:28
well if water or rubbish tax was not paid or house sold and tax paid was not enough they could increase the amount due....dont riisk it

All those bills are paid by direct debit and are up to date...there is nothing in arrears and when the house is sold I would hope whoever is dealing with it will know what their doing....after all that's what I'll be paying them for....mmmm maybe should make sure it's a woman doing the work for me lol ;)

Jackie
20-04-2012, 18:34
its seems you want to do things your way . thats not the way i would do it but thats up to you .
ill be honest i dont see what your point is in keeping the money in the joint account . good luck

So come on then give me your MAN opinion on how it should be done :)
I don't want to keep the money in a joint account, that was the whole point of the original question. The money in the account is MINE, I have earnt it and I will spend it so how do I take another name off the account????? lol

TOTO 99
20-04-2012, 18:40
So come on then give me your MAN opinion on how it should be done :)

Drain the account and spend it on beer......:cheers:

Jackie
20-04-2012, 18:42
Drain the account and spend it on beer......:cheers:

haha it's my money so it will be spent on Vodka not beer, starting tomorrow night lol

mike in chayofa
20-04-2012, 18:55

It was Barclays (San Eugenio, at that time).

I went in and asked what to do to make the account in my name only and change it from a 'non resident' to a 'resident' account.

They did it at once with no question and I kept the name account number

TOTO 99
20-04-2012, 19:13
It was Barclays (San Eugenio, at that time).

I went in and asked what to do to make the account in my name only and change it from a 'non resident' to a 'resident' account.

They did it at once with no question and I kept the name account number

To be fair, you were carrying a gun at the time...:laugh:

Sundowner
20-04-2012, 20:45
if it was me:) if the person being removed did not object I would go to the bank and get it changed. However if there was likely to be a fight I would transfer the money to another account!!

Jackie
20-04-2012, 20:55
if it was me:) if the person being removed did not object I would go to the bank and get it changed. However if there was likely to be a fight I would transfer the money to another account!!

It's not the fact that there will be any objection it's the fact that they are not in Tenerife so if they need to sign something then that's going to be the problem.

bonitatime
20-04-2012, 20:55
If I was to guess it shouldn't be possible but if you have a relationship with your bank they will probably do it anyway.

Peterrayner
20-04-2012, 21:04
Speaking from experience the simplest solution is to ask them to open a separate account in your name only and if the existing joint account allows for either signature then just transfer the balance to the new "single" account.

KirstyJay
20-04-2012, 21:44
Maybe if you inform us what bank it is, a forum member who's with the same bank can possibly make enquiries next time they're in :)

garlicbread
20-04-2012, 21:49
I do all my banking online as I have no desire to visit my bank (Santander) unless I have to. However I know the manager well and will try to talk to him early next week and ask him the same question as I also have a joint (resident's) account. I'll post the answer here.

julia44
21-04-2012, 08:14
I had the same situation 2 years ago, I went into the bank (Bankinter) to ask the procedure and they said no problem we can do it now. 5 minutes later walked out of the bank with all the new paperwork just in my name.

Jackie
21-04-2012, 09:35
Maybe if you inform us what bank it is, a forum member who's with the same bank can possibly make enquiries next time they're in :)

Banca March

1, walk in NEW real bank open account

2. go old bank take out money

3 .go new bank put in money

simples

oh 2a buy shoes :whistle:

being a man i would have done it all by now

But then what do you do with the empty joint account that is still open.. continue paying charges on it? You may be a man and have had it all done by now but you haven't thought it through properly have you lol. Don't worry about shoes, they can be bought in between visiting banks haha ;)

Tom & Sharon
21-04-2012, 11:07
Jackie, can he not go into the Banca March in London and sign? Or scan the neessary forms to him, he could sign them and send them back to the bank?

Other than that, forgery is the only answer!

Jackie
21-04-2012, 11:11
Jackie, can he not go into the Banca March in London and sign? Or scan the neessary forms to him, he could sign them and send them back to the bank?

Other than that, forgery is the only answer!

Why didn't I think of that lol.....I do actually have his signature off to a T ;)

seanocelt
21-04-2012, 11:13
Has anyone ever left an account dormant in Tenerife, then years later been hit with charges acccrued on it? Think that is the O.P..'s worry, and i have a similar query.

Tom & Sharon
21-04-2012, 11:15
Why didn't I think of that lol.....I do actually have his signature off to a T ;)

And me mine! :whistle:

Suej
21-04-2012, 11:32

Might they want to see his passport? NIE? or some form of ID? Just wondering......

Jackie
21-04-2012, 11:34
Might they want to see his passport? NIE? or some form of ID? Just wondering......

I have his NIE here and a copy passport...will that do hahaha..stop putting ideas into my head lol

Suej
21-04-2012, 11:37
I have his NIE here and a copy passport...will that do hahaha..stop putting ideas into my head lol

Take everything that might be necessary! I am with Banca March and they seem pretty easy going I don't think you will have any problems tbh!

Jackie
21-04-2012, 11:39
haha Sue what are you saying?.......I just couldn't do it...I'd feel too guilty ;)

Suej
21-04-2012, 12:04
Not saying do anything shifty! LOL! just take the papers that might be needed and go to the Bank and tell them you want a name removed from from a joint account! Are you with the branch in Los Cris?

Jackie
21-04-2012, 12:07
Not saying do anything shifty! LOL! just take the papers that might be needed and go to the Bank and tell them you want a name removed from from a joint account! Are you with the branch in Los Cris?

Yes I am with the one in Los Cris....to be honest don't think they've ever asked for ID except the first time we went in there lol....originally opened an account at the London Branch and they opened the account for us here.

Suej
21-04-2012, 12:11
Yes I am with the one in Los Cris....to be honest don't think they've ever asked for ID except the first time we went in there lol....originally opened an account at the London Branch and they opened the account for us here.

That's what I mean Jackie! they never ask me or OH for ID either! but the staff there know us by sight, Once seen never forgotten!:laugh:

TIS
21-04-2012, 14:21
AT another bank, otherwise bank may reverse fund transfer if they can be persuaded by former partenr that until a legal judhement has been obtained they need to keep thier dealings clean. They can be liable if they are aware there is a problem between the joint holders.

Jackie
21-04-2012, 14:59
AT another bank, otherwise bank may reverse fund transfer if they can be persuaded by former partenr that until a legal judhement has been obtained they need to keep thier dealings clean. They can be liable if they are aware there is a problem between the joint holders.

Don't confuse things lol, there is no legal judgement, everything is agreed and being put in place legally, all I want to do is take the name of someone who is no longer in Tenerife off a bank account that is in effect my bank account anyway..

TIS
21-04-2012, 15:51
Don't confuse things lol, there is no legal judgement, everything is agreed and being put in place legally, all I want to do is take the name of someone who is no longer in Tenerife off a bank account that is in effect my bank account anyway..
Sorry, the thread read reads as if everybody has assumed there is maybe a problem with ex. If not, then simply ask bank what papers they require, get them signed and returned so his name is removed, with written consent/agreement from ex. Where's the problem then?

Jackie
21-04-2012, 16:22
Let's just say it's not that simple.

Thanks for replies and advice will just have to have time off work and go and speak to them to see if they can do it there and then.

Suej
21-04-2012, 16:35
Let's just say it's not that simple.

Thanks for replies and advice will just have to have time off work and go and speak to them to see if they can do it there and then.
Jackie I'm not 100% sure yet but I may need to go into Banca March next week...I will ask for you!

Jackie
21-04-2012, 16:41
Jackie I'm not 100% sure yet but I may need to go into Banca March next week...I will ask for you!

Thanks Sue would appreciate that x

Suej
21-04-2012, 16:45
Thanks Sue would appreciate that x

I assume it is a Residents current account? I will ask if just one of the account holders can make the relevant changes and see what they say. It deffo won't be Monday as they are soooooooo busy with queues out the door!:eek:

seanocelt
21-04-2012, 16:46
let us know the outcome please.

Suej
21-04-2012, 16:49

Will do seanocelt! If I find out before Jackie I will post on here!

Jackie
21-04-2012, 16:49
I assume it is a Residents current account? I will ask if just one of the account holders can make the relevant changes and see what they say. It deffo won't be Monday as they are soooooooo busy with queues out the door!:eek:

Yep resident current account, thanks again x

lesbroz
22-04-2012, 17:57
I had an account with Caja Canaria and they required a signed letter of consent from the other account holder, copy of their NIE, Passport and also his driving license (with signature visible). They were still a bit iffy with me, but did eventually take his name off the account. Hope this helps.

Leam_Lin
22-04-2012, 18:53
If there was only a small balance showing on the account when you enquire about removing second name, would it make a difference to the bank's decision.

Suej
02-05-2012, 16:59

Sorry it's taken so long to get back! I spoke to Banca March today about removing a name off a joint account and they say the best way to do this if one of the account holders is not here in Tenerife is to open a new account - transfer all funds from joint account - the joint account would then automatically be closed. One person of the joint account can do this.:)

Jackie
02-05-2012, 17:03
Sorry it's taken so long to get back! I spoke to Banca March today about removing a name off a joint account and they say the best way to do this if the one of the account holders is not here in Tenerife is to open a new account - transfer all funds from joint account - the joint account would then automatically be closed. One person of the joint account can do this.:)

Sue you are a diamond...Thank You so much:bowdown:

Added after 2 minutes:

Déjà vu (French pronunciation: [deʒa vy] ( listen), literally "already seen") is the feeling of certainty that one has already witnessed or experienced a current situation, :eek:

But Satellite Sue did the job properly because she is a woman and actually found out what happens to the joint account...something I think you failed to answer ;)

Medman
02-05-2012, 17:31
Sue you are a diamond...Thank You so much:bowdown:

Added after 2 minutes:

But Satellite Sue did the job properly because she is a woman and actually found out what happens to the joint account...something I think you failed to answer ;)

Certainly took her long enough .... :raspberry:

Jackie
02-05-2012, 17:32

Because she was thorough and got all the answers :tongue:

Suej
02-05-2012, 17:52

Long queue in the Bank!:neener:

seanocelt
02-05-2012, 18:07
Sorry it's taken so long to get back! I spoke to Banca March today about removing a name off a joint account and they say the best way to do this if one of the account holders is not here in Tenerife is to open a new account - transfer all funds from joint account - the joint account would then automatically be closed. One person of the joint account can do this.:)

Thats what i DIDNT THINK would happen, closure when empty, thought it may stay open incurring charges unless both closed it, thanks.

Suej
02-05-2012, 18:20
Thats what i DIDNT THINK would happen, closure when empty, thought it may stay open incurring charges unless both closed it, thanks.

They said at BMarch that with a nil balance the account would automatically be closed! I did check this point and she confirmed that an account cannot stay open without funds in credit There is a minimum amount that would have to stay in the joint account to keep it open, so every cent has to be transferred.

lesbroz
02-05-2012, 20:02
They said at BMarch that with a nil balance the account would automatically be closed! I did check this point and she confirmed that an account cannot stay open without funds in credit There is a minimum amount that would have to stay in the joint account to keep it open, so every cent has to be transferred.

I think it must depend on which bank you are with, as we were incurring charges, which Caja Canaria took from the account. This put the account into deficit and therefore the charges increased.

Suej
02-05-2012, 22:14
I think it must depend on which bank you are with, as we were incurring charges, which Caja Canaria took from the account. This put the account into deficit and therefore the charges increased.

I agree lesbroz! and I think all the banks work differently! But I would be inclined to make sure that the Bank did close the account rather than just empty it of funds. I would think Jackie would do the same...just to be on the safe side! I don't trust any of them tbh!:)

seanocelt
03-05-2012, 03:56
was called Caja Canaria last year today its called caja civica next week its part of caxia ....
was given away as assets and stock are worthless . looking at 80% branch's closing

and your source is?

seanocelt
03-05-2012, 11:34
i read that post but interpret it slightly less sensationally. Ok off topic as you say.