PDA

View Full Version : Other Is there anyone happy living in Tenerife?

Sundowner
22-04-2012, 17:27
We hear all the stories of what went wrong......people out of work......pets abandoned......people going back to the U.K. tail between their legs etc'

There must be some people who are happy in Tenerife? Or is it all an illusion?

Or has everyone been blinded by the sea and sun!!??

lesbroz
22-04-2012, 17:40
We hear all the stories of what went wrong......people out of work......pets abandoned......people going back to the U.K. tail between their legs etc'

I'm very happy in Tenerife. However, I only spend the winters here (along with the odd few weeks in the summer). If I didn't have children and grandchildren here in the UK, I would spend all my time in Tenerife. Yes, I love the sea and sun. However, we have met and made friends with lots of people from a variety of nations which makes each day a pleasure.

TenerifeTeddy
22-04-2012, 18:33
We are very happy with our life here in Tenerife. We keep our heads down, work hard and enjoy what the island has to offer. We run our own businesses, so are reliant on making a success of what we do. This is our seventh year here and we wouldn't change much if we had to do it over again.

Jackie
22-04-2012, 18:41
Very happy living here...although there's something missing for me at the moment I think that's more to do with kids leaving home and nothing to do with Tenerife. I have a great job,mates and social life, I also have one of those abandoned pet things you mention along with one I brought with me lol. Not planning on going anywhere soon :)

golf birdie
22-04-2012, 18:48

you could ask if anyone is happy living in Britain with the amount who say they are leaving to come here. Every where is what you make it but trying to scratch a living here is far from the paradise some think it will be.

anegib
22-04-2012, 19:19
Well and truly totally content here. Love the blue skies in the morning, sun daily and brilliant Spanish neighbours.

bonitatime
22-04-2012, 19:20
Very happy living here with no plan to ever leave

CIM
22-04-2012, 19:47
Same - Have to say I am pleased with the way things have panned out since I arrived here 6 or 7 years ago. Hasn't been easy but it has (and continues to be) a lot of fun! Great place to live if you can sort out the finance/income side and obviously thats a lot of peoples biggest headache at the moment - including the Canarians.

I sometimes whinge when things go wrong but then other times I stop and think what a bloody good job I have - no boss, work with great people, the moneys not bad and some of the clients I have met are now good friends. Whatever problems people have here probably also exist in the UK but the climate/weather here is just fantastic 340 days a year.

A lot dont make it living over here but then again a lot dont listen, dont plan and dont think things through. Whilst anyone can be unlucky and have things go against them some of the ideas people have when they move over beggar belief and I have little sympathy for those who take good advice, ignore it because they dont like it and then struggle when they arrive and later leave blaming and hating the place.

This forum is a great place to start when planning a move and the advice you get for free on here is second to none, non-commercial and from those who have been there and done it. If people utilise this to its full potential they shouldn't go too far wrong. I guess those thinking of moving over have to accept that sometimes the best thing they can do is not move here if the time simply isn't right. Better to wait until things are right for you and then make the move, even if it is 10 years from now. Great place to live but you only want to have to move over here once.

tmfkahs
22-04-2012, 20:05
The Spanish use the word 'Contento(m) a lot.

The literal translation is 'happy' as in the context of the OP, but it is also, in my opinion, the friendly word for a state I have rarely achieved anywhere else in the world I have lived.

The 'improvements in technology' have made living here easier for a foreigner, than when I came to live nearly 20 years ago and I was certainly not a pioneer.

I wonder, if the facilities had not changed, would 'foreigners' still be falling over themselves to come.

No British TV, few British products, newspapers arrived the next day, no Internet and phone calls to 'home' from a cabin in the street.

I don't laugh out loud everyday (Happy!!!!) but I am absolutely CONTENT

golf birdie
22-04-2012, 20:11
No British TV, few British products, newspapers arrived the next day, no Internet and phone calls to 'home' from a cabin in the street.

and IMO those days were a lot better. If you wanted to live and work here you had to jump through hoops for the right to do so. These days its just too easy.

KirstyJay
22-04-2012, 20:16
Been here about 11 years now. Very happy, but not through lying on my laurels and having a relaxing time. It takes hard work to succeed in Tenerife, and a little bit of luck

Treat people well and they will treat you well. People that rip others off, or try to pull a fast one usually find out that the island's a small place and they soon get found out and end up returning from whence they came. Thank god!

marbro8
22-04-2012, 20:18
Same - Have to say I am pleased with the way things have panned out since I arrived here 6 or 7 years ago. Hasn't been easy but it has (and continues to be) a lot of fun! Great place to live if you can sort out the finance/income side and obviously thats a lot of peoples biggest headache at the moment - including the Canarians.

I sometimes whinge when things go wrong but then other times I stop and think what a bloody good job I have - no boss, work with great people, the moneys not bad and some of the clients I have met are now good friends. Whatever problems people have here probably also exist in the UK but the climate/weather here is just fantastic 340 days a year.

A lot dont make it living over here but then again a lot dont listen, dont plan and dont think things through. Whilst anyone can be unlucky and have things go against them some of the ideas people have when they move over beggar belief and I have little sympathy for those who take good advice, ignore it because they dont like it and then struggle when they arrive and later leave blaming and hating the place.

This forum is a great place to start when planning a move and the advice you get for free on here is second to none, non-commercial and from those who have been there and done it. If people utilise this to its full potential they shouldn't go too far wrong. I guess those thinking of moving over have to accept that sometimes the best thing they can do is not move here if the time simply isn't right. Better to wait until things are right for you and then make the move, even if it is 10 years from now. Great place to live but you only want to have to move over here once.if anyone ever questions your credentials or attacks you on this forum again mate just point to that bit about ex clients becoming your good friends!!! nuf said:wink:

captain beefheart
22-04-2012, 20:19
times are tough for everyone at the moment be you living in the u.k. or tenerife, but as long as we have our health we should all be happy and thankfull. better times will return . keep smiling.

Suej
22-04-2012, 21:44
I and OH have been here 8 years this October! we love our life here...Tenerife is not perfect, nowhere is! but life is good and no plans to leave for the foreseeable!:)

Malteser Monkey
22-04-2012, 21:49
The Spanish use the word 'Contento(m) a lot.

The literal translation is 'happy' as in the context of the OP, but it is also, in my opinion, the friendly word for a state I have rarely achieved anywhere else in the world I have lived.

The 'improvements in technology' have made living here easier for a foreigner, than when I came to live nearly 20 years ago and I was certainly not a pioneer.

I wonder, if the facilities had not changed, would 'foreigners' still be falling over themselves to come.

I don't laugh out loud everyday (Happy!!!!) but I am absolutely CONTENT

and IMO those days were a lot better. If you wanted to live and work here you had to jump through hoops for the right to do so. These days its just too easy.

Oh Lord - those were my days and yes I would still have been there (but for meeting OH) it wouldn't have changed my life in anyway.

Not too sure if it's that easy now tho, can't say as I'm not there

tonypub
22-04-2012, 21:51
:wave::wink:

chifleta
22-04-2012, 22:27
My OH paid for me to move over here with him 20 years ago - I didn't even have the air fair to go back to UK if things didn't work out, so thank goodness it did.

We've had good times, we've had times where we were struggling so much that I had to go back to UK for a couple of months with our son so that OH could re-coup the coffers. We've had times where we were both earning very good wages, and at this moment i'm out of work, but although money is not so abundant, i'm the happiest I've ever been at this precise moment in time.

I'm nauseatingly positive, I gave up smoking 5 years ago, I've taken the initiative these last couple of years whilst unemployed to lose over 6 stone (bragging a bit, sorry, can't help myself, i'm near goal weight, only 8lbs to go :spin:), i've turned into a gym freak AND me and OH have decided to make it legal and get married next year :crazy: how crazy is that?

i'm happy happy happy contentisiisisisisima :raspberry2:

Megaloo
22-04-2012, 22:32
My OH paid for me to move over here with him 20 years ago - I didn't even have the air fair to go back to UK if things didn't work out, so thank goodness it did.

We've had good times, we've had times where we were struggling so much that I had to go back to UK for a couple of months with our son so that OH could re-coup the coffers. We've had times where we were both earning very good wages, and at this moment i'm out of work, but although money is not so abundant, i'm the happiest I've ever been at this precise moment in time.

I'm nauseatingly positive, I gave up smoking 5 years ago, I've taken the initiative these last couple of years whilst unemployed to lose over 6 stone (bragging a bit, sorry, can't help myself, i'm near goal weight, only 8lbs to go :spin:), i've turned into a gym freak AND me and OH have decided to make it legal and get married next year :crazy: how crazy is that?

That is nice to read Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials, and also your weightloss, I need some lessons from you re the weight loss :wink2:

Malteser Monkey
23-04-2012, 10:06

That is fantastic ! Light at the end of every tunnel !

Suerte mujer !

wendylongster
23-04-2012, 10:26
These posts are fantastic to read, I cant wait to move over but now is not the right time for us! It would be so easy to just give up our rented house and business premises and just come over and try our luck but when we make the move we want it to be permanent! I want to be able to say yes its been alot of hard work but oh so worth it, best move we ever made!! So we will keep planning, visiting and saving and we ll see you in a couple of years xx

9PLUS
23-04-2012, 14:08
Yes................

Malteser Monkey
23-04-2012, 14:15
I'm just happy to be living, here, there or anywhere:cheeky:

Simon-M
23-04-2012, 15:03
Very happy. Would not want to be anywhere else right now.

Malteser Monkey
23-04-2012, 15:07

is that really you ?:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Simon-M
23-04-2012, 17:51
is that really you ?:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Of course not. Don't be silly :)

coffee
23-04-2012, 19:52

Really? ANYWHERE else?

You can be happy here I am sure, you need to get used to a few things, it does have an air of real poverty about it... the loose dogs, hopeless police, plenty of places are run down looking and even the nicer hotels look like they're maintained by 'bodget & legit'. The natural surroundings are beautiful, especially away from the south, and everything looks better with some sun on it.

But if you could be anywhere, absolutely anywhere, let's say you won the lottery - would you choose tenerife?

Its great that people are happy here, but the world is bigger than the uk or tenerife! I think most are here because it suits their budget and in terms of value you can have a better time of it here than the uk. Which is great, but it's not the best place on earth in my opinion.

Jackie
23-04-2012, 20:12
i lived in torquay for 20 years ,and that is the way 创seaside创 resorts go when the bandwagon moves on somewhere else ..please name somewhere better that you are allowed to work without a work permit,that i can sit in my garden 350 days a year and dont get malaria which has low crime ,cheap petrol ,创vat创 at 5 percent...zero pollution ,best coffee you can get for 60c a cup ......anyone else want to add to the list

The eye candies not bad either lol

tmfkahs
23-04-2012, 20:19
Really? ANYWHERE else?

You can be happy here I am sure, you need to get used to a few things, it does have an air of real poverty about it... the loose dogs, hopeless police, plenty of places are run down looking and even the nicer hotels look like they're maintained by 'bodget & legit'. The natural surroundings are beautiful, especially away from the south, and everything looks better with some sun on it.

But if you could be anywhere, absolutely anywhere, let's say you won the lottery - would you choose tenerife?

Its great that people are happy here, but the world is bigger than the uk or tenerife! I think most are here because it suits their budget and in terms of value you can have a better time of it here than the uk. Which is great, but it's not the best place on earth in my opinion.

So, in your opinion, where is the best place on earth to live & why?

coffee
23-04-2012, 20:35
Ok no need to all be so defensive! It sounds like people end up here due to the money situation, if you won the lottery I think you'd rethink.

As to where else, places like sydney, new york, san francisco, vancouver, toronoto often pop up in the quality and interesting places to live surveys you see sometimes. If cities aren't your thing new zealand is a popular one. And of course plenty of north america would be great, no language barrier and enormous variety.

Of course it depends on the individual. If you're all happy as you can possibly be then im happy for you!

But I maintain that the real reason is because it was quite an easy option and due to the economics of it for most.

If you won the lottery... you'd be here? I don't believe you! (well, most of you)

bonitatime
23-04-2012, 21:02
I am never planning to live anywhere else
Nothing to do with money I just like it here
From when I was a child I have always felt at home here
The climate the mentality the way of life are all suited to my mentality
There are sometimes things that drive me mad (Telefonica comes mind) but they are trivial
If I won the lottery I would still live here but I might travel more

And I really don't care if you believe me or not

kathml
23-04-2012, 21:07
So, in your opinion, where is the best place on earth to live & why?

Its not where its your attitude to life If sun and sea were everything in life these places would be overcrowded and the rest of the world would be deserted

Its how you live not where that counts

sunspot
23-04-2012, 21:25
I wish i had never set foot in Tenerife,its been nothing but bad luck and if i could i would get the hell out tomorrow........................

9PLUS
23-04-2012, 21:39
Happiness is a state of mind

x

caroll72
23-04-2012, 22:00
On a thread like this, you're not gonna get people saying that they want to leave the island. Those that leave are probably feeling that their dreams have failed and aren't likely to publicise it.

slodgedad
23-04-2012, 22:05
Is anyone really happy about where they live?

I have lived here longer than anywhere else in my life and still suffer from the 'greener grass' feeling that brought me here in the first place.

Put it this way, I can't imagine living anywhere else

Jelly Baby
23-04-2012, 22:14
there is A SEVEN YEAR WAITING LIST TO APPLY TO LIVE IN AMERICA .

Erm... sorry but that is incorrect. There is a green card lottery every year and 50,000 people will be allowed into America. You can live there if you go on a work visa and you can also go if you buy a business.

Suej
23-04-2012, 22:22
Ok no need to all be so defensive! It sounds like people end up here due to the money situation, if you won the lottery I think you'd rethink.

As to where else, places like sydney, new york, san francisco, vancouver, toronoto often pop up in the quality and interesting places to live surveys you see sometimes. If cities aren't your thing new zealand is a popular one. And of course plenty of north america would be great, no language barrier and enormous variety.

Of course it depends on the individual. If you're all happy as you can possibly be then im happy for you!

But I maintain that the real reason is because it was quite an easy option and due to the economics of it for most.

If you won the lottery... you'd be here? I don't believe you! (well, most of you)

I can say with hand on heart that if I won the lottery I would still be here and UK and America and maybe a little bolt hole in the Maldives!!!:jumping:

Red Devil
23-04-2012, 22:30
And Coffee seems to have overlooked the fact that Santa Cruz was recently named as one of the top five places in the World to live, taking everything into account.

chifleta
23-04-2012, 22:42

Yes :raspberry2:

I am never planning to live anywhere else
Nothing to do with money I just like it here
From when I was a child I have always felt at home here
The climate the mentality the way of life are all suited to my mentality
There are sometimes things that drive me mad (Telefonica comes mind) but they are trivial
If I won the lottery I would still live here but I might travel more

Endesa is another LOL but them and Telefonica won't make me move anywhere else :-D

kathml
24-04-2012, 00:07
my mate just left tenerife been here 27 years went to 创work创 with his yankie uncle in the mid west he got a tourist visa and after one month the sheriff saw him working asking him for his papers....because he is a tourist he was put in a cell and kicked out of the country AND CANT GO BACK

YOU CANT LIVE IN
sydney, new york, san francisco, vancouver, toronoto

there is A SEVEN YEAR WAITING LIST TO APPLY TO LIVE IN AMERICA .

so where else would you go better then here .... THAT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO GO

it seems to me that you are trying to get allies about leaving the island ....

With enough money you can live anywhere you likerolleyes2:rolleyes2:

timmylish
24-04-2012, 00:24
I think that most of us who have continuously referred to Tenerife as "home" have little or more likely no thoughts of ever living elsewhere other than here and I come into that category. 23 years ago I came on the offer of a better job than that which I had at the time in Glasgow. Had been here on holiday with wife no.1 a couple of years before that and had thoroughly enjoyed our stay to the extent that we came again the following 2 years! Now wifeless (sounds better than divorcee!) I took to living here, in the country at Los Menores, and had no problems settling in, learning the basics of language here helped a great deal. Now, during this 23 years I have been living and working in 3 different countries namely South Africa, Florida and of course Russia. Each time when that worked had reached the point of me leaving Tenerife was the only place I considered coming back to "home". After Russia I came armed with wife no. 2 and soon to be born daughter. I wanted here, new wife wanted here and of course baby had no choice! Notwithstanding a lot of ups and down, including a very bad divorce with no. 2 and custodial impossibilities I gave NO thought to living elsewhere 'cause this is/was "home". So, in short no-one can suggest that I have not had the experience of living in other countries with very differing cultures, climates and political and officialdom and no-where else interests me. Mrs. T. is equally very happy living here rather than her native Moldova (no entirely surprising) and has repeatedly told me and anyone else listening that here is where she is and always (you never can say never) will be. So all the problems of officialdom here are quite irrelevant when you are happy, as we are, living here as opposed to elsewhere.

Balcony
24-04-2012, 07:42
It's good to read that some of you are happy on the island. I often wondered how deep the feelings went. Where you live is 'home' and am always curious how people got to the island in the first place!

I do find it sad when some have to return (to the UK), for whatever reason. A friend is trying to return after 25 years on the island as he has Parkinsons which will not get any better and he and his wife would just be unable to cope on Tenerife. But he is not defeatest about it and looks at it will realistic eyes.

Malteser Monkey
24-04-2012, 09:30
Happiness is a state of mind

x

or just a big ol' hug !

coffee
24-04-2012, 10:40

Good for you! You're quite a prickly bunch aren't you?

I did say that for MOST of you its to do with circumstances, mostly financial, and if you didn't have those concerns MOST wouldn't choose tenerife. The pricklier the reply the more it makes me wonder if some of you are justifying the decision to yourselves or to me!

I don't care really, do what you want, I don't know any of you and it makes no difference to me.

I was merely asking the question... the level of 'prickleyness' of the replies makes me doubt some of you, but hey you don't care what I think and I don't care what you think. So we're even!

Bye bye 'happy' people!

Added after 2 minutes:

And Coffee seems to have overlooked the fact that Santa Cruz was recently named as one of the top five places in the World to live, taking everything into account.

No I knew that, and I like the place myself. But it's small, and has limitations. Compare to somewhere like san francisco or sydney who have a similar 'harbour' feel and be honest, it's lower on a 'quality of life' measure.

But as I already said, a lot of you have made your minds up and won't let the facts get in the way!

Have a good one prickly tenerifians.

Added after 2 minutes:

I think that most of us who have continuously referred to Tenerife as "home" have little or more likely no thoughts of ever living elsewhere other than here and I come into that category. 23 years ago I came

Home is where the heart is. Im happy for you. My point is, on a purely like for like comparison, regardless of where you 'feel' most at home because you've been there a lot, other places rank higher.

This should not be such a contentious idea! Amusing replies.

Suej
24-04-2012, 10:48

I did say that for MOST of you its to do with circumstances, mostly financial, and if you didn't have those concerns MOST wouldn't choose tenerife. The pricklier the reply the more it makes me wonder if some of you are justifying the decision to yourselves or to me!

I don't care really, do what you want, I don't know any of you and it makes no difference to me.

I was merely asking the question... the level of 'prickleyness' of the replies makes me doubt some of you, but hey you don't care what I think and I don't care what you think. So we're even!

Bye bye 'happy' people!

Added after 2 minutes:

No I knew that, and I like the place myself. But it's small, and has limitations. Compare to somewhere like san francisco or sydney who have a similar 'harbour' feel and be honest, it's lower on a 'quality of life' measure.

But as I already said, a lot of you have made your minds up and won't let the facts get in the way!

Added after 2 minutes:

Home is where the heart is. Im happy for you. My point is, on a purely like for like comparison, regardless of where you 'feel' most at home because you've been there a lot, other places rank higher.

Hi coffee! I'm not being sarcastic or prickly but can I just ask what your attraction is to Tenerife?...you did go to the trouble of joining a Tenerife related Forum after all!....just asking!:confused:

Sundowner
24-04-2012, 11:41

Bye bye 'happy' people!

Added after 2 minutes:

Added after 2 minutes:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and you have given yours based on your own criteria.

But you should also remember that other people have different views and regardless of what some report says about where are the best places to live, it is only a view from someone who is writing an article for profit for some magazine or other and it's not definitive by any stretch of the imagination!

There are people on this forum who have travelled and do have money and have chosen Tenerife not because of someone else's experience but because of there own!

coffee
24-04-2012, 12:30
Hi coffee! I'm not being sarcastic or prickly but can I just ask what your attraction is to Tenerife?...you did go to the trouble of joining a Tenerife related Forum after all!....just asking!:confused:

For me since im an EU citizen it was the ease of a long stay with no visa issues, the location for the winter (far south so better weather) and the relative cost of living compared to the uk. For me money played a big part, if I was a lottery winner I'd probably be in north america, and i'd travel around seeing lots of different places.

I think there are plenty of places 'better' than tenerife (subject to my own criteria I accept!), but for me it makes sense given my financial situation.. ie not rich. But I'd be somewhere else if I was rich, I readily admit it. I think others would too, and don't know why they don't admit it as well. But for some Im sure they love it here and money would make no difference to them, I think they are in the minority, for most I think they'd be off if they could afford it.

Tenerife is a good choice for a lot of people, but its more of a compromise than many seem willing to admit, if most of you had the money you'd be off the carribean or something!

That's all Im saying.

chifleta
24-04-2012, 12:37
创I did say that for MOST of you its to do with circumstances, mostly financial, and if you didn't have those concerns MOST wouldn't ..... NO ONE AT ALL SAID THAT only you ....blimy can just see you on the titanic 创磘he captain told me it could never sink创:titanic:

i def think its the 创骽 i never liked the place创 thinking so can pack the bag and leave .
everybody says in the posts 创i love it here创 you still dont believe anyone???

good luck in SF (high crime rate) :hi:

good luck in australia (the FLYS!!!! the RAIN !!!!! in the summer) :wave:

good luck on mars 创磀ef got a better atmosphere then the old blue earth创 ...:spaceship:

OMG Coffee has got me agreeing with Satellite, that's just not on..........

I plan on living the rest of my life here, my future mum-in-law already has my "niche" ready for when I snuff it :crylaughing::twak: .... shame is, I haven't the heart to tell her i'm going to be cremated or donated to science hahahahahahahahahaha

coffee
24-04-2012, 12:37
[/B]
There are people on this forum who have travelled and do have money and have chosen Tenerife not because of someone else's experience but because of there own!

Ok, but my contention is that they are very much in the minority.

I've made comparisons myself based on real world experience too.

chifleta
24-04-2012, 12:52
But I'd be somewhere else if I was rich, I readily admit it. I think others would too, and don't know why they don't admit it as well. But for some Im sure they love it here and money would make no difference to them, I think they are in the minority, for most I think they'd be off if they could afford it.

I'd buy a huge plot of land over here close to the coast and away from the hoards if I was rich (but not too close in case they change coastal laws once again), and I wouldn't even want an enormous villa, just a house big enough for me and OH, another wee house for my son, and a couple of self contained granny annexes for friends and family visiting.

I'm a country girl, bit cities have no appeal, America doesn't excite me at all, yes, I'd love to visit (just visit) the Carribean, and a few other places (China, Japan), which I will do eventually, but wouldn't want to move, I only go to Santa Cruz once or twice a year. Give me a nice stroll to Punta Rasca to do a spot of fishing with my georgous Canarian man any day of the year thankyouverymuchly :spin: ... I love how you think we're prickly, when we're just saying what we want - at the end of the day, like you said, most of us don't know each other, so why lie?

timmylish
24-04-2012, 12:53

But you have failed in the primary aspect of this thread, started by you and that is. Just what is the point in asking the question and on being surprised at the responses then trying to justify reasons for not being happy here? Answer. Daft verging on stupid!

Simon-M
24-04-2012, 14:04
For me since im an EU citizen it was the ease of a long stay with no visa issues, the location for the winter (far south so better weather) and the relative cost of living compared to the uk. For me money played a big part, if I was a lottery winner I'd probably be in north america, and i'd travel around seeing lots of different places.

I think there are plenty of places 'better' than tenerife (subject to my own criteria I accept!), but for me it makes sense given my financial situation.. ie not rich. But I'd be somewhere else if I was rich, I readily admit it. I think others would too, and don't know why they don't admit it as well. But for some Im sure they love it here and money would make no difference to them, I think they are in the minority, for most I think they'd be off if they could afford it.

Tenerife is a good choice for a lot of people, but its more of a compromise than many seem willing to admit, if most of you had the money you'd be off the carribean or something!

That's all Im saying.

Most? Some? A Few? You making up these stats and to be fair they are a bit woolly :) Why not start a survey and get some FACTS to back up your FACTS ;)

Sundowner
24-04-2012, 15:25

No you are guessing!!!

By your own admission you state that " if you were rich" you would be somewhere else..........Maybe if you were rich you might have a different perspective!!

casabonny
24-04-2012, 17:29
I love it here and have called it " home" since the day we moved here some 15 years ago.Yes it has strange annoying ways, but what country doesnt if we really are honest.
I love the climate and in the main the people ( there are good and bad everywhere in the world ).We have had some very bad experiences here , caused mainly by jealous people, but also many many happy ones.I have had health issues but am very pleased with the way I have been treated and the treatment.
We are not rich never have been ( not saying I wouldnt like to be though LOL) but we planned our move carefully , came armed with lots of information and with a firm , no nonsense head on our shoulders looking for an improved lifestyle for not only ourselves but our then young daughter.In the main we have achieved that so yes I do love Tenerife, theres something about it that gets under your skin and can make you very very happy.
The problem some have is that they come here wanting sun and sand and warmth but have no skills and have nothing to offer the island or its residents.To be truely happy here you , I believe , have to carve out your own niche and stick with it.
:tiphat:

coffee
24-04-2012, 19:40
I think you're all drunk.

Added after 2 minutes:

But you have failed in the primary aspect of this thread, started by you and that is. Just what is the point in asking the question and on being surprised at the responses then trying to justify reasons for not being happy here? Answer. Daft verging on stupid!

1, I didnt start the thread
2, I didn't say I wasn't happy here
3, I not all that surprised by the responses, just find the psychology of self enforcement & rationalising of past decisions interesting.

So apart from being completely wrong about everything, top response!

[/B]

No you are guessing!!!

By your own admission you state that " if you were rich" you would be somewhere else..........Maybe if you were rich you might have a different perspective!!

No im not guessing, I have been to many places and am able to compare them. If I were rich I could live where I chose. Bizarre reply.

Added after 6 minutes:

Most? Some? A Few? You making up these stats and to be fair they are a bit woolly :) Why not start a survey and get some FACTS to back up your FACTS ;)

Ah! the sober member of the forum. You may have a point, but from the people Ive met here (in my own personal survey) the vast majority hadn't really been anywhere else and just settled on the first place that was cheaper than the uk with some sun that they were familar with, usually as a result of being here on package holidays in the past.

The decision was largely financial for most, get away from the uk bad weather daily mail view of the world etc, oh I liked tenerife let's go there, was pretty much it. 'I can buy a bar!' they all said. :spin: Mostly.

Again I find the reluctance to admit to wanting to go anywhere else if you could to be fascinating.

chifleta
24-04-2012, 21:05
listen coffee ... NO ONE EVER agrees with me and I NEVER AGREE with anyone else

BUT EVERYBODY THAT IS EVERBODY says your WRONG

you got that wrong... I actually agreed with you earlier... much to my shame :crazy:

chifleta
24-04-2012, 21:52
sorry that was my point ....no one ever agrees with me EXCEPT this post ....

(cheques in the mail wink wink say no more :whistle:)

:cry::cry::jumping::crying2::crying2: ohhhh the shame of it.... enjoy it while it lasts :raspberry:

timmylish
24-04-2012, 23:46
I think you're all drunk.

Added after 2 minutes:

1, I didnt start the thread
2, I didn't say I wasn't happy here
3, I not all that surprised by the responses, just find the psychology of self enforcement & rationalising of past decisions interesting.

So apart from being completely wrong about everything, top response!

No im not guessing, I have been to many places and am able to compare them. If I were rich I could live where I chose. Bizarre reply.

Added after 6 minutes:

Ah! the sober member of the forum. You may have a point, but from the people Ive met here (in my own personal survey) the vast majority hadn't really been anywhere else and just settled on the first place that was cheaper than the uk with some sun that they were familar with, usually as a result of being here on package holidays in the past.

The decision was largely financial for most, get away from the uk bad weather daily mail view of the world etc, oh I liked tenerife let's go there, was pretty much it. 'I can buy a bar!' they all said. :spin: Mostly.

Again I find the reluctance to admit to wanting to go anywhere else if you could to be fascinating.

Two things spring to mind.
1) You seem to be accepting my suggesting you are daft or even stupid. That is since you commented upon every part of my post.
2) But, as I reported. I have lived in many countries! So why would I want to go "anywhere else" as I,ve probably visited that place as well. (Can you just tell me is it North or South of the Equator so that I may find it on an atlas?).

9PLUS
25-04-2012, 09:19
I think Coffee has been hanging around the same area for too long

golf birdie
25-04-2012, 10:04
. You may have a point, but from the people Ive met here (in my own personal survey) the vast majority hadn't really been anywhere else and just settled on the first place that was cheaper than the uk with some sun that they were familar with, usually as a result of being here on package holidays in the past.

I totally agree with that.

coffee
25-04-2012, 10:55
take away coffee anyone :crazy:

"To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time"

Completely matches most of you peoples description of tenerife, I think you're on to something.

Two things spring to mind.
1) You seem to be accepting my suggesting you are daft or even stupid. That is since you commented upon every part of my post.
2) But, as I reported. I have lived in many countries! So why would I want to go "anywhere else" as I,ve probably visited that place as well. (Can you just tell me is it North or South of the Equator so that I may find it on an atlas?).

Incoherent nonsense bearing no relation to anything ive said. There's something in the water here I think, I'd better get out quick!

Malteser Monkey
25-04-2012, 11:09
Deja vu anyone ?:whistle:

Malteser Monkey
25-04-2012, 11:56
Deja vu anyone ? :eek:

exactamente

chifleta
25-04-2012, 13:20
it's GROUNDHOG DAY :bootyshake::crazy:

Simon-M
25-04-2012, 14:25
it's GROUNDHOG DAY :bootyshake::crazy:

Let's all get down to Gobblers Knob.

murph
25-04-2012, 14:26
I find the original question interesting as the people who have ACTUALLY moved to live on the island have done what 99% of us don't......made a choice and acted on it.

Maybe more pertinent to ask why all of us who think they would love to live in Tenerife are still walking round in the wind and the rain in England!!:confused:

Suej
25-04-2012, 14:51
I find the original question interesting as the people who have ACTUALLY moved to live on the island have done what 99% of us don't......made a choice and acted on it.

Maybe more pertinent to ask why all of us who think they would love to live in Tenerife are still walking round in the wind and the rain in England!!:confused:

I agree murph it was a good thread! My reply to your post would be that it might be that something happens in peoples lives that triggers off the decision to do something drastic about it and ship out! I had a business in England that I had burgled 5 times in 5 years. My first brand spanking new car I proudly collected 1st August, on the 2nd August it had the doors gemmied, windows broken and the stereo taken an hour after I had parked in in the car park near my business. The last straw was a knife at my throat in broad daylight and duly robbed of takings in my own shop! I had bought a holiday apartment here in Tenerife the previous year and just thought! I think it's time to get the hell out of this dump they call England! The rest is history been here nearly 8 years!:)

Balcony
25-04-2012, 15:10
Reading some of the comments and implied disbelief of one or two, I have to say that if I wanted to leave the UK I would be happy to live on Tenerife - maybe not in the location where we currently have an apartment as we would crave a house, no community fees etc.

I'm guessingm (and generalising), but I expect the majority of those who have made the trip knew Tenerife from earlier visits; did some research and are happy with their choices. I know people who arrived and stayed and are very happy; some who arrived in Tenerife as an 'escape' from problems; some for whom the dream didn't last. But that's life. So what?

On the vexed question of would it be your first choice to go to Tenerife: yes, maybe it would be. Part of your choices do depend of the state of your finances, but I also suspect that many see Tenerife also as an opt out of the worst of the rat-race and a chance to relax more - the climate certainly helps and there is potentially a very good social life available to everyone, not quite so dependant on having the right accent and latest penis substitute.

IF I had sufficient money - which would now have to be via a major lottery win, as all my rich relatives have now passed on - yes, maybe I might choose a house by China Beach (San Francisco), or on Cape Breton (Nova Scotia), or in Vancouver, in Venice, or one of other places that I just love. But we can all harbour the dream. We may yet throw in our lot in France and why not? Again, if I had sufficient money, maybe a place in several different locations!

But Tenerife? Tenerife has a lot to offer, especially (as I see it) if you get just a short distance away from the resort areas and YOU have the gumption to put in the effort required to make a new life. There are apartments to buy and rent and, generally, so much cheaper than in the UK.

Tenerife? Excellent choice, where to buy into the lifestyle doesn't demand you be a Euro-millionaire, but sitting on a balcony with morning coffee, or a glass of wine in the evening can make you feel like one.

Suej
25-04-2012, 15:22
Well said balcony! I only managed 8 months in our one bed holiday apartment! it was driving me nuts! we moved up the hill a bit to a house in Chayofa on a residential complex, we have 2 nice gardens and views over the ocean! Oh yes and we do have our breakfast in the garden! every day under a lovely pergola we had built!!! Bliss! The things I miss from UK are mostly material things (foody stuff in particular) that I have learnt to live without! No big deal!:)

Tenerife plus's are it's far away enough to not have weekend visitors but not too far to see friends and family whenever you want to!:wink2:

Sundowner
25-04-2012, 16:18
I think there are a lot of places in the World that most of us would love to visit!! But not live, a couple weeks is O.K. in most places.

coffee
25-04-2012, 20:22
On the vexed question of would it be your first choice to go to Tenerife: yes, maybe it would be. Part of your choices do depend of the state of your finances, but I also suspect that many see Tenerife also as an opt out of the worst of the rat-race and a chance to relax more - the climate certainly helps and there is potentially a very good social life available to everyone, not quite so dependant on having the right accent and latest penis substitute.

IF I had sufficient money - which would now have to be via a major lottery win, as all my rich relatives have now passed on - yes, maybe I might choose a house by China Beach (San Francisco), or on Cape Breton (Nova Scotia), or in Vancouver, in Venice, or one of other places that I just love. But we can all harbour the dream. We may yet throw in our lot in France and why not? Again, if I had sufficient money, maybe a place in several different locations!

Very interesting, thanks. Agree about the difference regarding the 'keep up with the joneses' & rat race trap that so many have fallen into in other countries, doesn't seem to happen here, I certainly find that refreshing.

marbro8
25-04-2012, 21:28

That's all Im saying.hi coffee, we are only visitors to the island at the moment but we hope to make it a semi permanent thing in a few years, and yes there are some beautiful places on this planet that if you had the money you would love to live, but i can honestly say hand on heart if i won 100,000,000 on the lottery next week i would be picking a piece of land in the south of tenerife to have my villa built on because it is not just the island that is beautiful it is the people that already live there:wink:

kathml
25-04-2012, 23:09

Many of us have made a choice!!!! we decided to stay in Scotland but we did give a lot of thought as to all the pros and cons

we still have the apartment we bought 20+ years ago in Tenerife but Scotland is home although 15 years ago we almost moved over

We still spend a fair amount of time in Tenerife but health problems the last 5 years would have meant that we couldn't have stayed permanently anyway

So it looks as if we made the right choice

ALso where else could we live and get4seasons most days

louisecox
26-04-2012, 17:09
Love it here on Tenerife, not just the weather but the way of life. Havent lived in the UK for many years now, have worked hard here and have had some bad times but the good times out weigh these. I am so happy made the choice to stay and have the kids out here and bring them up in a fantastic place.

celine
27-04-2012, 00:04
What a fantastic thread,both my husband and i have fallen in love with the island,we have both been reading the forum for many months before we made our decision..we came over in april and just knew this was the place for us..i have visited many times in my youth but only got as far as the bars at night.the first thing that i noticed was the cleanliness at the airport(corfu airport was filthy.. rubbish everywhere)
we came with teenagers and noticed there were "no hoodies" or threatening groups of teenagers during the day.. which makes a change coming from london
we have been looking for a place to spent the rest of our life..my husband will be taking early retirement.but as recomended on the forum were not burning all our bridges.we are selling our house and buying a cheaper one so we have somewhere to come back to if anything goes wrong..we have visited the british school and driven round looking at areas..we know where we want to be..so weve done our homework..hopefully we will be over soon looking for a long term let then we can enjoy what years we have left...our main reason for choosing tenerife is that everyone was so freindly..all the guys down the front at los cristianos spoke to my husband about football ect even though we never went in all the various bars... we went in one one night and seen freddie star..brilliant i hav,nt laughed so much for a long time..my husband watched the football in a bar..no drunk people.. just friendly people wanting to talk..what a great place tennerife is.. most of the people in the shops were polite and friendly,(,the ones that werent we didn,t go in again.!)..the guys selling the watches were a pain 10 or 20 times during one meal..but they were not threatening in any way most of them were funny and made us laugh...a lovely lady braided my daughters hair..(i must admit it didn,t suit her though and i couldn,nt wait to take it out!!(my husband hated it!!) lol
my one and only gripe about tenerife is i dont like motorways and found whilst being driven round they were all driving like maniacs .
.i realy dont like to rush about...so i,ll have to find all the back routes if possible..lol..
we visited the supermarket and bought lots of ham for sandwiches.. spanish ham is not the same somehow but silly little things like this we can adapt to..the chinese buffet was discusting,,(we,ll have to find a decent one.).the indian was great but too dear if not on holiday.(i hate cooking).christianos market was brilliant i went round it several times..the only thing i hated was the kittens being sold outside from a cardboard box..it broke my heart..! ive seen "shirley valentine "hundreds of times and thought greece was the place...but it is definatly tenerife!!!!!..even if i won the lottery!!!!
i think weve planned and looked long enough..
the time is right now for us
AND....the tenerife forum sent both myself on the 16th and my husband on the 25th a birthday message... how great is that...it just goes to show you what great guys and girls you all are...thankyou so much
.we hope to everthing goes to plan and we are over by the end of the year...then we can help and advice others make thier choices as you have all done for our family....
( i visited the charity shop as well and seen the stall for dogs in the market so it was great to put reality to put all your posts
hopefully i can make myself usefull when i arrive and volenteer/help someone.)
one funny thing happened i bought ciggarettes for 6,50 euros (at the beach shops.).for 200 65p a packet..
when i got home i started smoking them they all had holes in them..it was so funny there was smoke coming out of several holes it looked like someone had put a pin in them all.if i was any good at it i,d try to get a picture!!
.another packet i opened all the filters fell off...lol.
it wasn.t much money so i did think it was funny but i feel sorry for all the people that were buying 1000,s..!!
im off to bed now as im shattered!!
ive been packing today and taking christmas trees/decorations to the dump
its amazing what rubbish you collect over the years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oops sorry ive just seen my post..i,ll try and write less next time..lol

chifleta
27-04-2012, 12:42
What a fantastic thread,both my husband and i have fallen in love with the island,we have both been reading the forum for many months before we made our decision..we came over in april and just knew this was the place for us..i have visited many times in my youth but only got as far as the bars at night.the first thing that i noticed was the cleanliness at the airport(corfu airport was filthy.. rubbish everywhere)
we came with teenagers and noticed there were "no hoodies" or threatening groups of teenagers during the day.. which makes a change coming from london
we have been looking for a place to spent the rest of our life..my husband will be taking early retirement.but as recomended on the forum were not burning all our bridges.we are selling our house and buying a cheaper one so we have somewhere to come back to if anything goes wrong..we have visited the british school and driven round looking at areas..we know where we want to be..so weve done our homework..hopefully we will be over soon looking for a long term let then we can enjoy what years we have left...our main reason for choosing tenerife is that everyone was so freindly..all the guys down the front at los cristianos spoke to my husband about football ect even though we never went in all the various bars... we went in one one night and seen freddie star..brilliant i hav,nt laughed so much for a long time..my husband watched the football in a bar..no drunk people.. just friendly people wanting to talk..what a great place tennerife is.. most of the people in the shops were polite and friendly,(,the ones that werent we didn,t go in again.!)..the guys selling the watches were a pain 10 or 20 times during one meal..but they were not threatening in any way most of them were funny and made us laugh...a lovely lady braided my daughters hair..(i must admit it didn,t suit her though and i couldn,nt wait to take it out!!(my husband hated it!!) lol
my one and only gripe about tenerife is i dont like motorways and found whilst being driven round they were all driving like maniacs .
.i realy dont like to rush about...so i,ll have to find all the back routes if possible..lol..
we visited the supermarket and bought lots of ham for sandwiches.. spanish ham is not the same somehow but silly little things like this we can adapt to..the chinese buffet was discusting,,(we,ll have to find a decent one.).the indian was great but too dear if not on holiday.(i hate cooking).christianos market was brilliant i went round it several times..the only thing i hated was the kittens being sold outside from a cardboard box..it broke my heart..! ive seen "shirley valentine "hundreds of times and thought greece was the place...but it is definatly tenerife!!!!!..even if i won the lottery!!!!
i think weve planned and looked long enough..
the time is right now for us
AND....the tenerife forum sent both myself on the 16th and my husband on the 25th a birthday message... how great is that...it just goes to show you what great guys and girls you all are...thankyou so much
.we hope to everthing goes to plan and we are over by the end of the year...then we can help and advice others make thier choices as you have all done for our family....
( i visited the charity shop as well and seen the stall for dogs in the market so it was great to put reality to put all your posts
hopefully i can make myself usefull when i arrive and volenteer/help someone.)
one funny thing happened i bought ciggarettes for 6,50 euros (at the beach shops.).for 200 65p a packet..
when i got home i started smoking them they all had holes in them..it was so funny there was smoke coming out of several holes it looked like someone had put a pin in them all.if i was any good at it i,d try to get a picture!!
.another packet i opened all the filters fell off...lol.
it wasn.t much money so i did think it was funny but i feel sorry for all the people that were buying 1000,s..!!
im off to bed now as im shattered!!
ive been packing today and taking christmas trees/decorations to the dump
its amazing what rubbish you collect over the years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oops sorry ive just seen my post..i,ll try and write less next time..lol

lovely, wishing you all the luck on your move over to this georgous island - don't worry abour writing less, it gave me, and probably many others, a good laugh, especially about the cheapo cigs hahahaha I can just imagine :laugh: