PDA

View Full Version : Are internet cafe's becoming a thing of the past?

dede
12-06-2011, 22:40
I have just spent a week in the isle of man and i needed to check my emails so i looked for an internet cafe, it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack !!everywhere had wifi connection but what if you havent got the mobile to connect like me? I thought this would be a good little business to start off in the IOM or is there no call for them anymore???

dokgolf
12-06-2011, 22:54
thing of the past. As the above poster says most people that might have need for an internet cafe either have a web enabled phone or laptop

SuzyQ
12-06-2011, 23:01
You need an iphone dede, lol :)

MrsTT
12-06-2011, 23:02
Glad the people in Callao haven't decided that's the case, as we are still in great demand. But then the spot is not well served by internet locally anyway - not many wifi spots possible. Even the microwave internet people - who leafleted the village before they found out they couldn't get their signal here - were defeated.

Vortex Wake
12-06-2011, 23:06
Bournemouth still has a number of internet cafes - probably for all the hard up students ;)

DaveRF
12-06-2011, 23:11
We were recently away touring around the UK and I made a conscious decision not to take my laptop nor to access any internet sites with my phone. I even went out a few days without my phone (shock horror). One day in Liverpool without my phone I remembered I needed to check something in my emails. I couldn't find an internet cafe anywhere. They seem to be in very short supply in the UK now.

atlantico
13-06-2011, 01:09
started an Internet cafe over 10 years ago . .. . .. .. .. wasn't call for it then either !

You'll now only find them in densely tourist or student areas

tonypub
13-06-2011, 01:53
i had a public computer in the pub but theres no call for it now so its gone,all iphones n blackberrys so just got wifi

TOTO 99
13-06-2011, 08:05
I use a smartphone for bits and bobs but if I'm working then I prefer a bigger screen so I go and stick a quid in the one at the Heritage (San Marino) but as Tony says it's not in big demand. I've never seen anyone else use it so I guess it won't be there for much longer sadly. WiFi in bars is a bonus though especially if you have kids. Funny really, I always used to hate seeing parents sat in a bar ignoring their bored kids, now it's the other way around..lol..

9PLUS
13-06-2011, 08:37
Friends of mine have had an Internet cafe next to Ofipapel in Los Cristianos for around 14 years which does really well but they offer a bigger package, photocopies, telephone cards, transactions etc.

I can recall around 10 Internet cafes which have opened around the L.A & L.C area over the past few years and non of them worked for more than a few months. Some provided Wii and playstation useage...

According to Sunspot they are doing good but across the road in Playa Paraiso it seems to work more on the telephone exchange and not the Internet side.

I guess it's deing out but correctly placed i think there's still business to be made.

delderek
13-06-2011, 09:01
Glad the people in Callao haven't decided that's the case, as we are still in great demand. But then the spot is not well served by internet locally anyway - not many wifi spots possible. Even the microwave internet people - who leafleted the village before they found out they couldn't get their signal here - were defeated.

Thats strange as the Callao Spirit has one of those new combined ciggy and phone top up machines which also includes WiFi, without a telephone line (not fast, about three quarters of a meg) but it does work.

missSJ
13-07-2012, 21:51
Can anyone tell me if there is an internet cafe in Las Chafiras of Llano del camello?
I don´t have a personal computer as i´m scared of getting caught up for hours on it!
I would rather go & book half an hour & check the things i need to do instead.

Sal
13-07-2012, 21:59
We have tablets which we use on holiday, providing we can get a wifi connection. However, we still had to find an internet cafe to print our (Ryanair) boarding passes for the return flight!

Margaretta
14-07-2012, 00:49
Can anyone tell me if there is an internet cafe in Las Chafiras of Llano del camello?
I don´t have a personal computer as i´m scared of getting caught up for hours on it!

I don't think so but there is a good one near the corner by the roundabout in Los Abrigos although I think it closes for the siesta. There are some in El medano and Chessies is very good in Los Cristianos. There is a new one in San Blas. I won't say the reason here but we did not want to proceed and left quite quickly. As Sal, we needed to print our boarding passes as we were last in Tenerife for a month and couldn't do it from home before we left. I'd rather not take a printer in my handbag!

slodgedad
14-07-2012, 01:02

I don't think so but there is a good one near the corner by the roundabout in Los Abrigos although I think it closes for the siesta. There are some in El medano and Chessies is very good in Los Cristianos. There is a new one in San Blas. I won't say the reason here but we did not want to proceed and left quite quickly. As Sal, we needed to print our boarding passes as we were last in Tenerife for a month and couldn't do it from home before we left. I'd rather not take a printer in my handbag!

Not as far as I know. I think the closest is on the Golf..

TenerifeTeddy
15-07-2012, 00:00
:DI know of a good one in Callao Salvaje:D:lol:

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 14:09
:DI know of a good one in Callao Salvaje:D:lol:Where's that then? ;)

TenerifeTeddy
15-07-2012, 14:22
Where's that then? ;)
Beyond the edge of the known universe, as it is past the end of the motorway, where many it seems fear to tread :)

missSJ
15-07-2012, 19:52
Thank you so much for your answers, I´m proberly old fashioned..but i´m not tempted to get a computer at home, i know how easy it is to plan to spend 10 minutes checking important stuff...& 3 hours later i´m still on facebook or browsing the tenerife forum...