PDA

View Full Version : Education A question about British children going to school in Tenerife

duquessa
23-04-2012, 11:40
Just wondered do they get any problems with racism when British Children go to live in Tenerife and go to school there? Also wondered what language they speak mainly in school?

Muppet
23-04-2012, 14:10
If it is a Spanish local school, then, erm Spanish ??

YOUNG GOLFER
23-04-2012, 14:56
No problems with my two girls they are both in the same Spanish school...and they both love it.

School is a very safe place with 2 police officers in the morning and afternoon making sure the roads and children are all safe.
Plenty of chances to talk to the staff about how the children are doing in class lot's of mini exams and test to see which subjects they might need to improve on.
Only two weeks back a school trip for all the family was arranged at only 13€ return by coach per adult less for the children to Loro Park included in the price our own tour guide.
All in all we are both very happy and never seen any problems with racism in shcool here.

duquessa
23-04-2012, 15:10
I dont know what school it was just a general question? Is there much racism?

waveydavey
23-04-2012, 16:48
There's only one race,the human race.

bonitatime
23-04-2012, 20:49
Both of mine were in Spanish schools and were never subjected to racism

Both spoke Spanish at school
There were a group in my daughters school who tried to only speak English in lunch/ break time but she was never part of them.

timmylish
23-04-2012, 22:44
Just wondered do they get any problems with racism when British Children go to live in Tenerife and go to school there? Also wondered what language they speak mainly in school?

Are you 100% sure that you asking the question on "racism". I rather doubt it since surely Spanish and British tend to be of the same "race"- Caucasian ! Human ! or are there "Aliens" here?

YOUNG GOLFER
23-04-2012, 23:26
I dont know what school it was just a general question? Is there much racism?

Is there much racism in any school anywhere.....when i was in school some 25ish years ago there was.

TenerifeTeddy
24-04-2012, 10:11
At Callao Learning Centre which MrsTT runs, we have British, Spanish-Italian, Finnish, Estonian, Russian-English, and Slovenian children, they all get on great with no cultural or racial issues. We wouldn't tolerate any such behavior anyway.

Our lessons are in English, but with daily Spanish lessons, and quite often in play time you can hear the chlidren teaching each other their own languages as well.

People learn from their environment, if they are bought up in a caring, sharing way, then that is generally how they will behave, if they are bought up learning hatred or disdain or disrespect of other cultures then that is where the problems lie.

duquessa
24-04-2012, 10:39
Do English children who go to live in Tenerife have to pay to go to school and what about English children who were born in Tenerife?

timmylish
24-04-2012, 10:53
Well I know that Scottish and Irish children pay exactly the same as locally bred Canarian/Spanish children. Don,t know about the English tho'. Sorry!

YOUNG GOLFER
24-04-2012, 11:13
Do English children who go to live in Tenerife have to pay to go to school and what about English children who were born in Tenerife?

English children will pay the same as any other child which is nothing to go to school (a state school)....but they pay for the pens,rubbers,books ect like the local children they will also have to pay towards school dinners like the rest if they want them.

So the answer to your question in short is all children no matter where they are from are treated the same.

TenerifeTeddy
24-04-2012, 11:25

The state school system is free, however you have to supply all materials, text books, notebooks, pens, pencils etc. I believe the bill is about €600 per year.

Obviously you have to pay a fee to send children to private schools, and the fees they charge alll vary.

emskie
24-04-2012, 12:25
if you think that children pay to go to school in the EU
and english children born in tenerife are english

If they are born to 2 british parents they get a british passport, they may speak spanish but I belive they cannot be classed as Spanish until they are 18 and make that decision themselves? Both my kids have been born here and they arent Spanish!

sunseeker
28-04-2012, 11:13
The state school system is free, however you have to supply all materials, text books, notebooks, pens, pencils etc. I believe the bill is about €600 per year.:eek: thats way of the mark. its about 200€ but if your child is in 1st or 2nd year of primary you get a credit card with about 95€ of prepaid cach on it from the government to help with materials. i dont know how much longer theyll have that for tho.

SuzyQ
29-04-2012, 02:29
My son was born here, educated firstly in the English system, and now in the Spanish system which he happens to prefer. He is blonde, so they affectionately call him el rubio, there has only been the odd occasions where he has ben called giri (sp?) This is a racist term, to which he replies, era nacido aqui en Tenerife, y tu?? Chances are they will be south american...............
generally no prblems, but kids will be kids, wherever you are :)

missSJ
11-06-2012, 15:37
In the south there are so many races that the spanish are properly the minority!
There are chinese (lots of them) Indanians, blacks (from africa & south america) arabs, eastern europeans, western europeans (british, german, italian etc..) south american latinos,
A lot of the parents i´ve meet are also mixed, each coming from a different country.
I think Tenerife is very international!
Hope this helps, you have nothing to worry about.