PDA

View Full Version : Airplane crash in Tenerife North airport in 1977 - so what happened?

henry
23-04-2012, 20:21
hey broski´s and peps!! this afternoon i saw on discovery channel the famous plane crash in tenerife. i sure your browski´s remember back in march 27 1977 right? where the pam am and the klm place crush each other at Los Rodeos Airport (north airport) really good show. i still can´t belive i was only 1 years old back then when it happed.. no survivors in the klm airline. but 61 people survired in the pam am airplace. like the captain and the co-polint and such.till this day still the worst airlines crush ever happned. it sad that 583 fatalities.here the story click below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

some people said it was the tower fault but if you read it was the captain in the klm airplace. he didn´t had appove to take off and he took off any ways!!

i post this because i sure no one knows this or forgot about it.. i didn´t know until i saw it on t.v.

Vortex Wake
23-04-2012, 20:23
hey broski´s and peps!! this afternoon i saw on discovery channel the famous plane crash in tenerife. i sure your browski´s remember back in march 27 1977 right? where the pam am and the klm place crush each other at Los Rodeos Airport (north airport) really good show. i still can´t belive i was only 1 years old back then when it happed.. no survivors in the klm airline. but 61 people survired in the pam am airplace. like the captain and the co-polint and such.till this day still the worst airlines crush ever happned. it sad that 583 fatalities.here the story click below

some people said it was the tower fault but if you read it was the captain in the klm airplace. he didn´t had appove to take off and he took off any ways!!

i post this because i sure no one knows this or forgot about it.. i didn´t know until i saw it on t.v.

You have it correct Henry.

bonitatime
23-04-2012, 20:47
I was on the island at the time and am not likely ever to forget it

timmylish
23-04-2012, 22:46
And I with 1st wife were en route here!

Santiago
23-04-2012, 22:47

I'm sure you are right, Henry, but I also think that it was probably a combination of circumstances starting with the bomb scare in Gran Canaria and followed by the cloud coming down over Los Rodeos. The Captain of the KLM was certainly in the wrong, but the previous circumstances had put him in the position where he made a disastrous decision.

amanda
24-04-2012, 10:53
You have it correct Henry.

how could we not forget such a disater i was living here then my husband went up to the airport to help as did many people. lets not forget either the manchester flight a few years later when everybody lost their lives.

TenerifeFanatic
27-03-2016, 14:34
39 years ago today.

macdonald5
27-03-2016, 14:46
Remember reading about this tragic crash, 39 years ago Sad loss of lifes

timmylish
27-03-2016, 15:58
Good grief! I am shocked to be reminded of this anniversary some 39 years to-day. As I said earlier I was in the air en route to Tenerife, I think coming here for the first time. It was a difficult holiday to say the least but the grief suffered by the people associated with this disaster has probably never left them.

melm
27-03-2016, 16:29
A Tenerifian friend of our was in the army at the time of the crash, and was sent to help with the aftermath of this accident. Years later he can still hardly talk about the sights he saw. Just terrible.

macdonald5
27-03-2016, 17:52
I also remember the 1980 Dan air one,(Manchester/ Tenerife) in forests in north Tenerife, All perished in that sad loss too
We had just booked our very first holiday to Tenerife for following year ,flew into South airport but had mixed feelings

LindaD
27-03-2016, 20:47
39 years ago today.

A terrible accident TF and a timely reminder. Thoughts are with the families who lost loved ones.