PDA

View Full Version : Advice please om medical cover in Tenerife

poshbird22
25-04-2012, 20:18
:dontknow:
Hi
Can anyone help please. I have friends coming over next month to "try the water" for a year. Accomodation all sorted..... Need advice on .... what medical cover will they need, ?? private or will they be entitled to any state attention.
Thankyou all.:nono:

TenerifePool
25-04-2012, 20:31
If they are pensioners they will need an S1.
If they are of working age they will be entitled to Social Healthcare once they have started (legal) employment.

poshbird22
25-04-2012, 20:49
thanx for the info.
what is a S1?
The hubby is pension age but the wife is not, ha ha
neither of them wish to work here and have finances to cover them while here
They are just worried in case anything happens here and they need medical attention
Thet both have E111 cards
At the moment they are relatively healthy, just mild hypertension but I think Tenerife living will calm that down.

Megaloo
25-04-2012, 21:02
I think the Wife would be able to go on to the Husbands healthcare if he is a pensioner. Well I can only speak for a friend of mine who has been here for 10 years came when she was 52 but her husband was a pensioner so she has always been covered by him. But I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

TenerifePool
25-04-2012, 21:06
The S1 replaces the old E121. The husband should apply for this before he leaves England. Basically it confirms that he is a UK pensioner. Both hubby(as a pensioner) and wife (as a dependant) will be entitled to Social Healthcare.

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/healthcare/e121/

cainaries
25-04-2012, 21:16
:dontknow:
Hi
Can anyone help please. I have friends coming over next month to "try the water" for a year. Accomodation all sorted..... Need advice on .... what medical cover will they need, ?? private or will they be entitled to any state attention.
Thankyou all.:nono:

Are they emigrating, poshbird? Have they got valid EHIC cards - European Health Insurance Cards? Or are they just going to be long-term tourists (technically not allowed)? Will they be advising UK Tax authorities and Social Security that they are leaving the country for a year ... oh, nothing is simple in life.

primrose
25-04-2012, 22:04
Almost sure you have to have Residencia and be registered as a Resident to use the S1, if just a tourist you will need private travel insurance or E111.

cainaries
26-04-2012, 21:02
Almost sure you have to have Residencia and be registered as a Resident to use the S1, if just a tourist you will need private travel insurance or E111.

I think you're right. The names of the forms have changed - what a surprise. The EHIC has replaced the E111. E121 (I think) has replaced the S1 but you have to officially leave the UK to register - exactly as you said. I think they'd do better to bring up-to-date EHIC cards and hope for the best.

primrose
26-04-2012, 21:21
I think you're right. The names of the forms have changed - what a surprise. The EHIC has replaced the E111. E121 (I think) has replaced the S1 but you have to officially leave the UK to register - exactly as you said. I think they'd do better to bring up-to-date EHIC cards and hope for the best.

The other way round the S1 has replaced the E121, we almost got it right between us,:c2:

cainaries
26-04-2012, 23:44
The other way round the S1 has replaced the E121, we almost got it right between us,:c2:

Apologies! I hope the message is clear for OP anyway. If her friends are coming for a year, won't they have to get residencia? I don't think you can be a tourist for a year. Some (ex) friends of ours got in a muddle with this and they were only here for four months.

TIS
27-04-2012, 00:55
Apologies! I hope the message is clear for OP anyway. If her friends are coming for a year, won't they have to get residencia? I don't think you can be a tourist for a year. Some (ex) friends of ours got in a muddle with this and they were only here for four months.
Yes, residencia can be claimed if you have been here for more than 183 days.