PDA

View Full Version : Internet iPad v laptop for Skype calling

seal420
26-04-2012, 15:25
Not technically minded but appreciate some advise.

Having purchased an iPad and then a Spanish Vodafone micro-sim all I thought we had to do was sit on the terrace (San Eugenio) and speak/see children and grandchildren via Skpe and 3G. Alas, not so. Skype over 3G doesn't appear to work where we are, but if we toddle off to a bar with WiFi, it's great.

Not wishing to be caught out on the next visit, would I be better with a laptop and just bite the bullit and have a phone line and ADSL installed in the house, or will a mobile PAYG dongle, suffice? With sound and vision, we just feel we would stay longer on the island.

Any recommendation on provider appreciated too.

casabonny
26-04-2012, 16:11
Dont know the answer but would be intereted to hear from anyone who does.My daughter uses skype from her iphone with the internet and its fine also I think she has used skype on her ipad too but at home , therefore would be wifi.She now has the new ipad 3 4g wifi so will ask her if she has tried Skype on that with her micro sim and let you know if she has .

delderek
26-04-2012, 16:39
It depends on what you pay for, many of the cheaper deals don't allow skype or sound or vision.

seal420
26-04-2012, 16:55
It depends on what you pay for, many of the cheaper deals don't allow skype or sound or vision.
Paid 40 Euros for one month all you can eat. Apple tell me now that it has to be nothing short of a brilliant full strength signal to work

Vortex Wake
26-04-2012, 17:07
As has been stated - you must read the T&C's to find out if Skype calling is allowed.

The reason is, the cell company want your money for cellphone calling - not via cheaper Skype calling (unless you have paid extra for that option).

princessmonika
26-04-2012, 18:12
get a phone line i have it --and it is the best

timmylish
26-04-2012, 22:34
Would ahve to agree with others on this. Get a phone line from Telefonica and be done with it. Mrs.T.,s got both iPad and lappy. She much prefers using the iPad for Skyping!

karinagal
27-04-2012, 09:55
Would ahve to agree with others on this. Get a phone line from Telefonica and be done with it. Mrs.T.,s got both iPad and lappy. She much prefers using the iPad for Skyping!

Me too!!! :D

The undisputed Queen of de-nial