PDA

View Full Version : I move to Tenerife next week. What are the prospects for getting work as a singer?

Emma Jones
25-04-2012, 21:34
hey everyone, i am moving to tenerife in 2 weeks. i have a meeting with two entertainment agents when i arrive but i am wondering how easy it is to get good gigs. i really want to work up to doing 2 gigs a day 7 days a week. is this possioble????? also how easy is it to find a nice apartment in las americas. please as many replies as possible will be so helpful. thanks Emma

Emma Jones
29-04-2012, 13:12
HEY PEEPS!!! please need as much advice and info as possible. I am a professional singer and sing full time in wales. me and my partner are moving to las americas this week. is it easy to establish your self as a singer. i have arranged meeting with 2 agents which should be good but my aim is to to at least 2 45min gigs a night 7 days a week. is this possible. what do singers get paid in tenerife. i am expected 100euros per gig. is this realistic. thanks for any replies they will be much appriciated.

Emma Jones
29-04-2012, 13:19
hey just a few questions before i move to las americas next week???
1/ is it easy to find an apartment??
2/ as a singing will i get alot of work??
3/ where is the best place to live los cristianos? playa de las americas? troviscas?

any advice anyone can give about moving would be great as long as its not dont do it because i am moving no matter what. thanks

golf birdie
29-04-2012, 13:23
1/ is it easy to find an apartment?? Yes

2/ as a singing will i get alot of work?? Yes if you work for nothing.

3/ where is the best place to live los cristianos? playa de las americas? troviscas? All pretty much the same

Harmonicaman
29-04-2012, 13:36
Can SuzyQ maybe reply to this...

golf birdie
29-04-2012, 13:42
You will be lucky to get 2 gigs a week before the summer season (middle of July) and then if you get 1 a night you will be doing well. I don't think you will get anywhere near 100€ per gig.

TOTO 99
29-04-2012, 13:46
Tom Jones would be lucky to get 100 euros a gig......

Vortex Wake
29-04-2012, 13:53
30€ a gig ?

Harmonicaman
29-04-2012, 13:55
Tom Jones would be lucky to get 100 euros a gig......

I didn't want to disillusion her, which is why I thought it might be better coming from a professional singer like SuzyQ. (She has set her sights high...€1400/week!):)

golf birdie
29-04-2012, 14:02
look at it this way, I know a very well established act here who gets 50€ a gig. They are cancelled at a drop of a hat and sometimes do the act and agree with the bar to get paid if extra punters come in. It really is the worst time (May & June) to even think of coming here. There will be more acts than punters.

Muppet
29-04-2012, 14:30
And with respect, nor will it get much better during the winter.

With transport costs (i.e. running a car) and self-employment costs, the entertainment scene here is very tough going. There are a few who have been here for years and built up a good reputation (Susi being an example), but to expect to walk into a bar as a relative unknown, earn 100e for 45 minutes then wang off to the next gig is, sadly Emma, not how it works.

Added after 6 minutes:

It is probably worth mentioning here that, although there are other ways of doing it, being self employed here costs close to 300e a month (not £20 as in the UK), bars are particularly vulnerable to work inspections which, if you are found working without your papers, will cost both you and the owner dearly (several 000's in fines).

There are some agents who will take you onto their books, they will charge you their employment costs which will make you legal, but they leave it to you to find your own work. Bring lots of pairs of shoes and little pride.

tonypub
29-04-2012, 14:44
https://www.facebook.com/groups/99241499971/

Emma Jones
30-04-2012, 16:57
hI EVERYONE. just another quick question...... i am coming over in a week to be a singer. i am very experienced and current/modern. would a lady gaga tribute be a good idea to do and promote rather than a cover singer. any input would be appriciated. Thanks

Simon-M
30-04-2012, 17:21
I've seen a Lady Gaga over hear already. What about an Adele? I would think that might go down OK.

Emma Jones
30-04-2012, 19:42
I've seen a Lady Gaga over hear already. What about an Adele? I would think that might go down OK.

hey yeah was thinking i would do all different ones, maybe gaga, adele, rhianna, amy whinehous and jesse j. get max exposure. thanks for the reply.

junglejim
30-04-2012, 20:04
We have Beccy doing-Amy whinehouse-she also did Adele but stopped as it wasn´t as popular .

Jackie
30-04-2012, 20:18
Pip Browns other half Indi does Lady Gaga, Rhianna, Jessie J and others...you're going to have to go a long way to be better, and Beccy's Amy Winehouse is second to none, the girl lives and breathes her.

warbey
30-04-2012, 20:26
or You could be Yourself and do a couple of each.?

slodgedad
01-05-2012, 01:34
I hate to say this as an ex pro muso, but bars want a defo tribute. (Bums on seats)

seanocelt
01-05-2012, 12:30
Emma, you are very determined so good luck, as an entertainer here myself, my best advise i can give to you is bring plenty of back up cash, say at least 7,000 to set you up and keep you going as it will take a while to get a decent regular income. If things get any worse here, you may find that you will spend it all. Just being realistic and i hope you make it.

bonitatime
01-05-2012, 12:38
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatlife/9232140/Dont-blame-Spain-for-the-end-of-your-expat-dream.html

Interesting article which talks about the different types of expats and their difficulties

René
01-05-2012, 13:44
Emma, you are very determined so good luck, as an entertainer here myself, my best advise i can give to you is bring plenty of back up cash, say at least 7,000 to set you up and keep you going as it will take a while to get a decent regular income. If things get any worse here, you may find that you will spend it all. Just being realistic and i hope you make it.

Not realistic enough. She needs to bring a lot more than 7.000 Euros back up cash.

seanocelt
01-05-2012, 18:10
Not realistic enough. She needs to bring a lot more than 7.000 Euros back up cash.

You know, you are probably correct.

life is short
01-05-2012, 20:54
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatlife/9232140/Dont-blame-Spain-for-the-end-of-your-expat-dream.html

Interesting article which talks about the different types of expats and their difficulties

Very good article with some interesting information. Not sensationalised like many other articles. :tiphat:

cainaries
01-05-2012, 21:08
Interesting to note, though, if you scan all the way down, that it was 'sponsored'.

slodgedad
02-05-2012, 00:07
Interesting to note, though, if you scan all the way down, that it was 'sponsored'.

Sorry to sound thick, but ??????

murph
02-05-2012, 00:36
hI EVERYONE. just another quick question...... i am coming over in a week to be a singer. i am very experienced and current/modern. would a lady gaga tribute be a good idea to do and promote rather than a cover singer. any input would be appriciated. Thanks

Don't wish to be horrible, but going to be anyway...does this sound like a wind-up to anyone , or is it just me.

''Emma'' hasn't listened / responded to any of the points made on the first page, which you would surely do if you were really coming over to Tenerife

......just saying......:ashamed:

slodgedad
02-05-2012, 00:44
Don't wish to be horrible, but going to be anyway...does this sound like a wind-up to anyone , or is it just me.

''Emma'' hasn't listened / responded to any of the points made on the first page, which you would surely do if you were really coming over to Tenerife

......just saying......:ashamed:

Never realised that. Understood. Thread closed.