PDA

View Full Version : Moving back to the UK

samnickgodber
13-06-2011, 08:29
Well we have had a nice 8 years and a wonderful experience but the time has come for us to move back to the UK, for many reasons,
We have two cats to take back with us and a lot of other stuff
We have had a rough quote for shipping of tools and other stuff but have thought it might be cheaper for us to drive over if we can get a Transit van over here already on UK plates,

So a few questions really
Has any of you guys drove over with stuff if so with which ferry did you use and the rough costing of it also can you take cats with you or would it be better for them to fly,
And do any of you guys know of a Transit van for sale on UK plates,
We are not leaving until this time next year but want to be prepared and ready and we will be getting the cats to the vets very soon to start the process of the passports for them,

Thanks for any info given :)

Please could you give links for any info thanks

obs
13-06-2011, 08:44
Can't help with your questions samnick, but wish you good luck for the future. Hope all goes smoothly for you. :)

Roadkingrider
13-06-2011, 11:13
Hi - been here three years now, and had enough too. The Canarians only want your money - any chance they can get - and it's just impossible to get anything done on the island without it involving hassle. Again and again, you just come up against idiots/rip-off merchants. On the move, when I came out here I used Worldwide (based in Santa Cruz I think), and they were very good - the first and last time I actually got professional service here at a reasonable price.

Jackie
13-06-2011, 11:35
Sorry to hear that you are going back to the UK Sam, but as you say you have your reasons. Now to learn to drive on the other side of the road haha, it will be a doddle after learning to drive here. Good Luck and I hope everything goes really well for you both.

Roadkingrider...you sound very bitter regarding your experience here. I am sorry that things obviously didn't go as planned for you here.

Megaloo
13-06-2011, 11:38
I used Worlwide to come out. I haave had 2 Friends use them to go back, Extremely good and efficient. They are in Santa Ursula but work all over the Island.Tel. 922 30 09 16
Fax 922 30 03 60 E-mail info ATgoworldwideslDOTcom
Web:goworldswides.com

Hope this helps

Andy0210
13-06-2011, 11:45
I would recommend TFA Logistics based in Slough for flying the cats back, i wouldnīt fancy being a cat stuck in a tranist in 100 degrees heat for a week.

9PLUS
13-06-2011, 11:49
The island is set to lose yet another good tradesperson

Good luck

x

Pets@Home
13-06-2011, 12:13
well we have had a nice 8 years and a wonderful experience but the time has come for us to move back to the uk, for many reasons,
we have two cats to take back with us and a lot of other stuff
we have had a rough quote for shipping of tools and other stuff but have thought it might be cheaper for us to drive over if we can get a transit van over here already on uk plates,

so a few questions really
has any of you guys drove over with stuff if so with which ferry did you use and the rough costing of it also can you take cats with you or would it be better for them to fly,
and do any of you guys know of a transit van for sale on uk plates,
we are not leaving until this time next year but want to be prepared and ready and we will be getting the cats to the vets very soon to start the process of the passports for them,

thanks for any info given :)

please could you give links for any info thanks

hi sam, i dont think it would be a good idea to take yr cats back by road, it will be so hot for them and unlike a dog u cant just let them out.
I flew my 4 cats and gt dane over in 2000 just a 4 hour flight.
All the prices i gave u are the cost prices to get yr cats back i think flying is the best way to go and better for the cats, no litter to deal with etc ...........
Glad u have started the process and let me know at any time if u need my services, or need any help, i flew my first charge back last week, all well my end and the dog had cleared customs by the time the owner went to collect her at manchester.
You will still have to pay the prices for the passports, rabies, bloodtests, cages, 24 hr health check, the only thing extra are the flights which i quoted u at 450 pounds first cat and 270 pounds second cat, have done the research there is no cheaper and that is at cost .................

Shirley ann

Roadkingrider
13-06-2011, 12:18
Hi Jackie - no, not bitter at all. Have met some nice people, and had reasonably good time, but have been amazed at how the Brits out here, running mainly estate agencies, rip off their fellow Brits. I have had two bad experiences with these crooks, despite taking legal advice etc. The problem about Tenerife, especially if you move out from a brilliant city like London, is that, great weather apart, it's culture is about 100 years behind what you're used to.

Jackie
13-06-2011, 12:36
Hi Jackie - no, not bitter at all. Have met some nice people, and had reasonably good time, but have been amazed at how the Brits out here, running mainly estate agencies, rip off their fellow Brits. I have had two bad experiences with these crooks, despite taking legal advice etc. The problem about Tenerife, especially if you move out from a brilliant city like London, is that, great weather apart, it's culture is about 100 years behind what you're used to.

I moved here from just outside London four years ago and to be honest I love the different way of life.OK the time it takes to do things takes a bit of getting used to, but honestly what's the rush. Everyone in London is so busy rushing from one place to the next they don't have time to notice what is around them. I made the decision when I moved from the UK that I did not want to try and replicate the life I had there. I made the conscious decision to live in a Canarian village away from ex-pats but also knowing that they are there if and when I want to meet up. I love the contrast of living in the hills and visiting the busy resorts when I choose

onelegnofeet
13-06-2011, 13:03
Sad to here for whatever the reasons you are leaving .I just hope that once you leave you have input into the forum .What you have learnt in Tenerife whilst there would become valueable advice for many .So i hope you keep logged in .With best regards Oleg

Jimandsi
13-06-2011, 16:16
Well we have had a nice 8 years and a wonderful experience but the time has come for us to move back to the UK, for many reasons,

Hi - been here three years now, and had enough too. The Canarians only want your money - any chance they can get - and it's just impossible to get anything done on the island without it involving hassle. Again and again, you just come up against idiots/rip-off merchants.

Have met some nice people, and had reasonably good time, but have been amazed at how the Brits out here, running mainly estate agencies, rip off their fellow Brits. I have had two bad experiences with these crooks, despite taking legal advice etc. The problem about Tenerife, especially if you move out from a brilliant city like London, is that, great weather apart, it's culture is about 100 years behind what you're used to.

Good luck to all those ex-pats considering a return to Blighty.

The last five years in the UK have been quite difficult thanks to Blair, Brown and Darling.

However, there is now light at the end of the tunnel and the quality of life for most is once again, improving.

Please be aware though, that because of our constant hot/dry weather we now have drought conditions with hose pipe bans imminent !

Once again, good luck and welcome home.

sleepy
13-06-2011, 17:12
We have two cats to take back with us and a lot of other stuff
We have had a rough quote for shipping of tools and other stuff but have thought it might be cheaper for us to drive over if we can get a Transit van over here already on UK plates,

So a few questions really
Has any of you guys drove over with stuff if so with which ferry did you use and the rough costing of it also can you take cats with you or would it be better for them to fly,
And do any of you guys know of a Transit van for sale on UK plates,
We are not leaving until this time next year but want to be prepared and ready and we will be getting the cats to the vets very soon to start the process of the passports for them,

Thanks for any info given :)

Please could you give links for any info thanks

Yes,I wish you the best of luck also.It takes a lot of courage to do what you have done moving here and even more to say enough is enough!
It is very difficult living on this island, more especially now that there is no work,little help,and more worrying no health care when your two years unemployment are up.
So pleased to see your taking your cats with you also.I'd never go anywhere without mine either.

Hope it all goes well for you.

samnickgodber
13-06-2011, 18:40
The island is set to lose yet another good tradesperson

Good luck

x

They sure are :) Thanks

Hi - been here three years now, and had enough too. The Canarians only want your money - any chance they can get - and it's just impossible to get anything done on the island without it involving hassle. Again and again, you just come up against idiots/rip-off merchants. On the move, when I came out here I used Worldwide (based in Santa Cruz I think), and they were very good - the first and last time I actually got professional service here at a reasonable price.

Your reasons are the same as mine, to try and get things done is impossible to try and get materials for jobs, well theyīll sell them ya but donīt have any and red tape i have never seen so much but mostly we are going back for our families, we have had a nice time but were going back whilst we can afford it and not with just our air fair,

Yes,I wish you the best of luck also.It takes a lot of courage to do what you have done moving here and even more to say enough is enough!
So pleased to see your taking your cats with you also.I'd never go anywhere without mine either.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Thank you and yes moving here was really a hard choice for us both so going back is an easier one and i would never leave my cats behind they are like kids :)

Goforgold
14-06-2011, 17:38
Good luck on your move Sam - I remember you from your pre-passing your driving test!! :)

Suej
14-06-2011, 17:52
Some lovely good luck posts! and I join them in wishing you all the very best!:hello:

lozzie1821
14-06-2011, 20:32
I wrote a post on the old tenerife forum about my predicament in moving back to tenerife OR staying here & deep down i think i already knew the answer i just needed an outsider/ppl who didnt really know me to tell me what it was i was already thinking and my decision...................STAYING IN THE REEF!!

i love my expartner but after 4years and 2 children ive realised i dont love him enough to put my kids through a life in the UK, Im british through and through but i know a good life when i see one & after being here 19 years (the last 6 on and off) i know my children have a better life here and although they are both very young (2 and 10months) they are in a nursery, they are settled & i think tenerife has alot more to offer my children RIGHT NOW

So thankyou to those who made comments and gave me their honest opinions on what they thought :-)

Jackie
14-06-2011, 21:02
I wrote a post on the old tenerife forum about my predicament in moving back to tenerife OR staying here & deep down i think i already knew the answer i just needed an outsider/ppl who didnt really know me to tell me what it was i was already thinking and my decision...................STAYING IN THE REEF!!

i love my expartner but after 4years and 2 children ive realised i dont love him enough to put my kids through a life in the UK, Im british through and through but i know a good life when i see one & after being here 19 years (the last 6 on and off) i know my children have a better life here and although they are both very young (2 and 10months) they are in a nursery, they are settled & i think tenerife has alot more to offer my children RIGHT NOW

So thankyou to those who made comments and gave me their honest opinions on what they thought :-)

So happy for you Lozzie. I commented on your previous post that if you was happy then so would your children be, regardless of where you all live. I can tell by your post that you seem a lot happier now you have made a decision, bet it feels like a big weight is off your shoulders. Now you can get on and enjoy your life with your children and look to the future, and good luck with it.

Susief
14-06-2011, 21:13
Sam I hope you will be happy back in the UK. Am sure it has been a heart wrenching decision. Just be happy!

Lozzie I remember reading your post a while back and just felt for you. Am glad you have made your decision. You have to do what is best for you and your children.
Like I said to Sam, just be happy!

DaveRF
14-06-2011, 21:28
Good luck on your move back to the UK. We used Worldwide to ship stuff back and I can't speak highly enough of them. We had 22 large boxes a 50 inch TV and a few other bits and pieces and it cost us €900 all in. They were very professional and helpful.

I would get your cat's paperwork in order sooner rather than later and would seriously consider flying them back as it's all over and done with in a few hours. Once you decide you are going you will probably get in that mindset and want to be away quicker. If you have the pet passports in order then you can do.

As for living in the UK everywhere has it's pluses and minuses. We miss the weather and some people but on the whole prefer being here for a host of reasons. The recession has driven down prices generally and IMHO those working and earning reasonable money are probably better off than a few years ago. Attitudes in general towards money are different to a few years back too. People look for better deals and shop around more in general and I also think this has brought prices down.

Good luck with it all.

samnickgodber
14-06-2011, 21:59
Thanks for all the well wishes, we are deffo gonna fly the cats back it was just an idea as we might be going back by ferry ourselves we are just looking into all sorts at the moment, on the cats i am unsure about Mitsy my female she is a nervous cat and even in her box going to the vets or moving house ect she cries constantly and gets soooooo stressed out, i would like them to be able to go in the same cage so the male can keep her company but i donīt know if we are allowed for them to share a cage,, weve not got that far yet lol x

EileenD
14-06-2011, 23:01
I think most folk would agree that estate agents are the same the world over...will tell you anything to get a sale! We moved to Tenerife partly for the slower pace of life and so far we are loving it. The Canarian culture is very much alive and can be experienced in all the towns and villages during the various fiestas. If you are looking for London type entertainment though this is probably not the place for you.

cainaries
14-06-2011, 23:13
I know rules change all the time but we flew 6 cats out here in 3 cages, 2 by 2 by 2 so I really hope you will be able to put your two in one box as I'm sure they get a bit of comfort cuddled up together etc. etc.

serious question this - how will you work out the timing? If you wave them off from here you can't drive to the UK overnight to collect them. Or do you know some very kind souls who will look after them until it's time to put them on the plane and then you will be there to collect them at the other end.

Good luck with everything, the travelling, the settling back in the UK, sorting everything out there and especially the cats.

lozzie1821
14-06-2011, 23:15
to be honest ive never cried so much lately in my life coz im purely doing whats best for me.. its their happiness thats matters not mine.
ive probably lost my chance at marriage and someone who loved me coz itll b along time coming when a man takes on a 23yr old with 2 kids... ill probs be 40 by the time that happens...

but oh well the things we do for our kids!! Im sure ill get over it one day

Ashro Autos
14-06-2011, 23:19
Sorry to hear your going mate and hope you get cats back ok,try them people on the card i gave you.

P.S Does this mean i get some parking spaces back:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

kieraj
14-06-2011, 23:49
to be honest ive never cried so much lately in my life coz im purely doing whats best for me.. its their happiness thats matters not mine.
ive probably lost my chance at marriage and someone who loved me coz itll b along time coming when a man takes on a 23yr old with 2 kids... ill probs be 40 by the time that happens...

but oh well the things we do for our kids!! Im sure ill get over it one day

there are good guys out there I know, I have one he took me and 3 teenagers on 11 years ago and 2nd time around is so much better, my/our kids love him he's a fab dad to them all and now we have grandkids who adore him, please don't despair, I have been where you are and it will be ok, I was 36 when I found him, or he found me ! one day the children will appreciate what you are doing good luck x

samnickgodber
15-06-2011, 07:33
I know rules change all the time but we flew 6 cats out here in 3 cages, 2 by 2 by 2 so I really hope you will be able to put your two in one box as I'm sure they get a bit of comfort cuddled up together etc. etc.

serious question this - how will you work out the timing? If you wave them off from here you can't drive to the UK overnight to collect them. Or do you know some very kind souls who will look after them until it's time to put them on the plane and then you will be there to collect them at the other end.

Good luck with everything, the travelling, the settling back in the UK, sorting everything out there and especially the cats.

We are thinking of leaving them with someone if we go by sea,,, but like i said we are looking at all sorts at the moment,,,, and i think they will get some comfort from cuddling each other and pets@home is being great at giving me some advice and has told me they can go together in the same cage so thats great, thanks for the best wishes x

Sorry to hear your going mate and hope you get cats back ok,try them people on the card i gave you.

P.S Does this mean i get some parking spaces back:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Will do mate,,, and ya can have as many as ya like once iīm gone :car::car::convertible::car::convertible::D

lozzie1821
15-06-2011, 10:53
there are good guys out there I know, I have one he took me and 3 teenagers on 11 years ago and 2nd time around is so much better, my/our kids love him he's a fab dad to them all and now we have grandkids who adore him, please don't despair, I have been where you are and it will be ok, I was 36 when I found him, or he found me ! one day the children will appreciate what you are doing good luck x

just another 13 years to wait then ha! my kids will be 15 and 13 then oh god ill feel sorry for the poor sod... takin on kids just into their teens haha now that will be a journey! x

Jackie
15-06-2011, 11:07
just another 13 years to wait then ha! my kids will be 15 and 13 then oh god ill feel sorry for the poor sod... takin on kids just into their teens haha now that will be a journey! x

Lozzie don't look at it like that. You are young still, just enjoy your life and your kids because before you know it they will be grown, what will be will be. If a nice bloke happens to come along in the mean time all well and good but don't put pressure on yourself to meet someone who will accept your ready made family. Sometimes you are better off without them ;)

tonypub
15-06-2011, 11:17
Good luck to all those ex-pats considering a return to Blighty.

The last five years in the UK have been quite difficult thanks to Blair, Brown and Darling.

However, there is now light at the end of the tunnel and the quality of life for most is once again, improving.

Please be aware though, that because of our constant hot/dry weather we now have drought conditions with hose pipe bansjimbob with rose-tinted glasses,woot woot check you out.lots of returnees left the uk in the good times so there may be a shock for them for sure.unless they go through the benefits system that is,its the envy of the world you know.:rolleyes:

Pets@Home
15-06-2011, 11:32
We are thinking of leaving them with someone if we go by sea,,, but like i said we are looking at all sorts at the moment,,,, and i think they will get some comfort from cuddling each other and pets@home is being great at giving me some advice and has told me they can go together in the same cage so thats great, thanks for the best wishes x

HI AGAIN, I HAVE 2 CATS THAT NEED TO GO BACK TO LGW BUT ALL MY FLIGHTS ARE GOING TOWARDS MANCHESTER.
IF LGW IS YOUR PREFERRED AIRPORT, AND THEY WILL BE READY BY JANUARY TIME MAYBE WE CAN ORGANISE A FLIGHT SHARE BECAUSE I KNOW SHE WANTS THAT. THE MAX U CAN HAVE ON ONE CONSIGNMENT IS 4 ANIMALS, SO WOULD BE 450 POUNDS FIRST ANIMAL, THEN 270 POUNDS X 3, THEN DIVIDE BY 2 MAKING YR FLIGHT ALTOGETHER FOR BOTH CATS 495 POUNDS WHICH SAVES U 200 POUNDS. DOING A FLIGHT SHARE IN SEPTEMBER, AND OCTOBER WITH MY QUARANTINE ANIMALS TO MAKE IT CHEAPER FOR THE OWNERS .........

[QUOTE=Pets@Home;16449][QUOTE=samnickgodber;16377]We are thinking of leaving them with someone if we go by sea,,, but like i said we are looking at all sorts at the moment,,,, and i think they will get some comfort from cuddling each other and pets@home is being great at giving me some advice and has told me they can go together in the same cage so thats great, thanks for the best wishes x

HI AGAIN, I HAVE 2 CATS THAT NEED TO GO BACK TO LGW BUT ALL MY FLIGHTS ARE GOING TOWARDS MANCHESTER.
IF LGW IS YOUR PREFERRED AIRPORT, AND THEY WILL BE READY BY JANUARY TIME MAYBE WE CAN ORGANISE A FLIGHT SHARE BECAUSE I KNOW SHE WANTS THAT. THE MAX U CAN HAVE ON ONE CONSIGNMENT IS 4 ANIMALS, SO WOULD BE 450 POUNDS FIRST ANIMAL, THEN 270 POUNDS X 3, THEN DIVIDE BY 2 MAKING YR FLIGHT ALTOGETHER FOR BOTH CATS 495 POUNDS WHICH SAVES U 200 POUNDS. DOING A FLIGHT SHARE IN SEPTEMBER, AND OCTOBER WITH MY QUARANTINE ANIMALS TO MAKE IT CHEAPER FOR THE OWNERS .........

Apologies for caps folks my mistake just get carried away when typing ...............

samnickgodber
15-06-2011, 18:22
[QUOTE=samnickgodber;16377]We are thinking of leaving them with someone if we go by sea,,, but like i said we are looking at all sorts at the moment,,,, and i think they will get some comfort from cuddling each other and pets@home is being great at giving me some advice and has told me they can go together in the same cage so thats great, thanks for the best wishes x

[QUOTE=Pets@Home;16449]

Apologies for caps folks my mistake just get carried away when typing ...............
iīve sent you a pm x