PDA

View Full Version : Bookings to Spanish islands slump

delderek
30-04-2012, 14:23
30 April 2012
Bookings to Spanish islands slump as tourist office pulls funding

Cosmos managing director Hugh Morgan is warning bookings to Spain could plummet this year due to a lack of advertising.

He said tour operators had been forced to scale back campaigns this year because they had not received the usual financial support from the Spanish National Tourist Office.

Package holiday bookings for the Canaries are already 13% down year on year, Morgan said, but admitted this was partly due to competition from Ryanair, which has taken a slice of the IT market to the islands.

However, he said the tourist office decision not to fund any operator-led advertising this year was bound to have 'a profound' affect on bookings.

"Always in the past, Spain has had significant sums to invest in co-marketing campaigns, but this year there is nothing," said Morgan.

The Spanish government's proposal to raise airport taxes by 15% from July will damage business even further, he warned. Cosmos will absorb the increase for passengers who have already booked, but it will have to pass on the extra tax on to new customers, he said.

"The higher tax, combined with increases in UK air passenger duty, is not going to help Spain," he added.

However, bookings to the Balearic Island and mainland Spain are down only 5% this summer, which is less of a drop than the overall market, which is estimated to be around 8% down on 2011.

Morgan said Cosmos bookings overall were up 7% year-on-year. Despite operators' fears that Greece would struggle this year, due to its highly publicised political unrest and a lack of tourist board advertising, he said sales were higher than last year. Cosmos has expanded its programme and launched a dedicated Greece brochure.

Dubrovnik in Croatia is also selling "extremely well", he said, with sales seven times higher than last year.

For next winter, Cosmos will launch a holiday programme to Madeira on the back of in-house carrier Monarch Airlines' new schedule flights to Funchal.

From Travel Mole

tozcal2011
30-04-2012, 15:05
So that means Tenerife Forum will have to make up for less Tenerife promoting by word of mouth. Come on guys we all need you...

Balcony
30-04-2012, 17:05
There are a lot of factors influencing the Spanish decisions, not least of which is their financial state. I'm not so sure that a government should be financing a tour operator's operation. Why aren't they (tour operators) advertising for themselves?

I don't think the slump is just because of a lack of advertising. People know what's going on. People worry that maybe Spain goes 'a la Greece' with riots and the like. Spain just gets a bad press right now. People are hurting financially as we see costs at home rise, outrageous air fares, so they too will cut what they see as unwise spending, or go somewhere that offers good value.

AL JAY
30-04-2012, 17:09
The illegal lettings fiasco isn't helping the cause, 6 couples i know well have decided that for the first time since 1986 they will be going elsewhere in May and Oct because they usually stay in PS1 &PS2 and the apartments are not being advertised anymore!!! If thousands of other couples copy the trend "The Patch" and its surrounding restarantes/supermarkets/taxi's will feel the knock on effect...Sad but true!!! Plus more bars will close putting more people out of work and the economy of the Island will suffer in the long run! Crazy law at anytime but ten times worse in a recession!!! You couldn't make it up!

tozcal2011
30-04-2012, 17:17
This situation with apartment rentals is just too sad. It's not that the people don't want to rent out, you know... Why are you amused Balcony?

BobMac
30-04-2012, 17:40
The price of flights doesn't help the situation either.

Trying to get flights from London area for October half term holiday and cheapest is coming in at well over £400 return pp which means we are looking at over £1700 for 4 people compared to just over £1000 for 4 at Easter this year.

I know flights are cheaper outside school holidays but like a lot of people, we are tied to having to take our holidays in School holiday time because of our wives jobs which means that we probably will be looking elsewhere for October despite how much as we love Tenerife.

kathml
30-04-2012, 17:48
Its easy to tell how serious the tourist slump is just look at the price of ryanair flights up until late June Never had it so cheap from Edinburgh

warbey
30-04-2012, 19:04
I saw some figures from the Post Office last week

There are about three Countries cheaper than Spain now.

People arent stupid..

TOTO 99
30-04-2012, 19:57
Do people seriously need advertising to tempt them on their holidays? This is 2012...Everyone has the internet..even kids on street corners have the internet on their phones..

It's about choice.
To me, this just shows that the hotel set up isn't what people want. Numbers are down. Tour company bookings (hotel) are down. There is room for both types of holiday but the powers seem to think that the average punter can be forced into one, and one only. This is very early days and already it's starting to show.
People do not need advertising. They know what they want, why can't they have it?

timmylish
01-05-2012, 01:16
The only true figures will come out after the summer period and the number of arrivals at the airport are announced. My own view? Scaremoungering by a bunch of crooks who are only now realising that people don,t want to be "packaged" any more. Freedom of choice, internet and direct booking is what more and more, ordinary working people seem to be wanting. I may be wrong and I,ll admit that is required but I doubt that I shall be. I have heard of the imminent demise of this Island, as a holidaying resort, year after year for the last 12/15 years!

poker
01-05-2012, 04:53
I yust can say that for the Belgium market there is a lot of deals going arround for Greace, Tunis , Egypt . . . . in AI hotels and they are cheaper than coming here .
If peaple will have some reagained trust in these countries and look for a budjet holiday with the crisis Im afriad the price will dicate the holiday . Numers wont be what they were last year .

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Balcony
01-05-2012, 08:19
Why are you amused Balcony?

From what do you take it I'm amused?

This from a UK newspaper this morning under the headline:

Spain 'close to going bust' as recession bites

Spain fell back into recession yesterday (Monday) as some experts predicted the country was 'close to imploding'.

The economy shrank 0.3% since January, figures showed, and is it the second consecutive contraction.

It's borrowing costs have escalated and ratings agency, S&P downgraded the credit ratings of nine banks, including Santander.

But analysts fear Spain is on the brink of going bust. Louise Cooper of financial services company BGC Partners said "The figure is not quite as bad as forecasts of 0.4% fall, but do not get carried away with optimism.

"I believe Spain is close to imploding under austerity measures and a property bust. It is following Ireland but without the benefits of a reformed and pro-business economy."

Unemployment hit a record 24.4% in March and on Sunday tens of thousands protested against planned cuts in healthcare and education.

This is not simply a case of 'talking up' Tenerife on a limited forum. Similar failings in economies are repeated all over Europe.

Added after 5 minutes:

Some links to other news about the Spanish economy

http://news.yahoo.com/spanish-economy-huge-crisis-credit-downgrade-082833459--business.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYfj59P40IA3x7QtDMD (April 27th)
http://news.yahoo.com/spanish-lenders-talks-over-bad-bank-plan-165539980--finance.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYfj59P40IA4R7QtDMD (April 30th)
http://news.yahoo.com/standard-poors-downgrades-9-spanish-banks-072233523.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYfj59P40IA4x7QtDMD (april 30th)

delderek
01-05-2012, 08:58
From what do you take it I'm amused?

This from a UK newspaper this morning under the headline:

Spain 'close to going bust' as recession bites

Spain fell back into recession yesterday (Monday) as some experts predicted the country was 'close to imploding'.

The economy shrank 0.3% since January, figures showed, and is it the second consecutive contraction.

It's borrowing costs have escalated and ratings agency, S&P downgraded the credit ratings of nine banks, including Santander.

But analysts fear Spain is on the brink of going bust. Louise Cooper of financial services company BGC Partners said "The figure is not quite as bad as forecasts of 0.4% fall, but do not get carried away with optimism.

"I believe Spain is close to imploding under austerity measures and a property bust. It is following Ireland but without the benefits of a reformed and pro-business economy."

Unemployment hit a record 24.4% in March and on Sunday tens of thousands protested against planned cuts in healthcare and education.

This is not simply a case of 'talking up' Tenerife on a limited forum. Similar failings in economies are repeated all over Europe.

Added after 5 minutes:

Some links to other news about the Spanish economy

http://news.yahoo.com/spanish-economy-huge-crisis-credit-downgrade-082833459--business.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYfj59P40IA3x7QtDMD (April 27th)
http://news.yahoo.com/spanish-lenders-talks-over-bad-bank-plan-165539980--finance.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYfj59P40IA4R7QtDMD (April 30th)
http://news.yahoo.com/standard-poors-downgrades-9-spanish-banks-072233523.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYfj59P40IA4x7QtDMD (april 30th)

Don't you dare let CIM or Young Golfer read this.:sorry:

Sundowner
01-05-2012, 10:52
The price of flights doesn't help the situation either.

Trying to get flights from London area for October half term holiday and cheapest is coming in at well over £400 return pp which means we are looking at over £1700 for 4 people compared to just over £1000 for 4 at Easter this year.

I know flights are cheaper outside school holidays but like a lot of people, we are tied to having to take our holidays in School holiday time because of our wives jobs which means that we probably will be looking elsewhere for October despite how much as we love Tenerife.

You should check Skyscanner...........They have plenty at around £1000 for October 20-27
London Gatwick to TFS £ 955.92 for 4 on those dates.

Balcony
01-05-2012, 10:57
Don't you dare let CIM or Young Golfer read this.:sorry:

LOL.

They're salesmen, so they'll do their best to be enthusiastic! But I'm talking about those people who have clearly voted with their feet, for whatever reasons.

Whilst this is not uniquely a Spanish problem, for a country who's economy is driven largely on tourism it's a disaster.

It's not an easy time for anyone, but when we're out in Tenerife you notice just how quiet things are. Residents on our site tell us they don't go out as often.

There're things going on in Tenerife where, no doubt, a well-intended government has shot itself in the foot and done it's best to remove what people like about going to Tenerife - independant holidays - by managing to remove many partments from availability. Though some newer hotels are all-inclusive I think they're more a draw for familiies who can have facilities on hand and cost controlled.

Not many like eating in an empty restaurant! Inadvertently, this has changed our habits and we don't always eat out in the evenings, as we used to. We like long lunches and these too have tended to ease off.

We don't spend anywhere near as much on clothes, for example, when we're in Tenerife, though last time I did have to go buy half a dozen shirts as I'd totally forgotten to pack any!

delderek
01-05-2012, 11:48
Strange thing is, some countries are doing very well, even though Dubai is really expensive.

Could it be that the canaries vision for upmarket tourists is the correct one?

01 May 2012
Strong outlook for UAE tourism

Dubai continues to set the pace for tourism in the United Arab Emirates.

Mohammad Khamis Al Muhairi, director general of the National Council for Tourism and Antiquities (NCTA), the federal government's tourism regulatory body, said, the UAE's tourism industry grew 15% to 14.5 million guests in 2011.

Europeans led in guest nights with 10.5 million followed by Asians at 9.3 million and GCC nationals at six million.

"The tourism sector's contribution to the UAE GDP reached 7% in 2011 and we expect it to grow further this year," Al Muhairi said.

Hotel room capacity is expected to reach 20,000 rooms by 2015 and 70% of these hotels are located in Dubai, he added.

The tourism sector's contribution to Dubai GDP reached 31% last year, the Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) said.

Khalid Bin Sulayem, director-general of DTCM, said it expects a 10% rise in hotel guests in 2012 against the previous year's 9.3 million hotel guests and cruise passengers.

From Travel Mole

golf birdie
01-05-2012, 12:16
To get to the level of Dubai you would need to flatten most of Tenerife and start again. Plus you would need to get the airlines to start flying 1st class. I can't see it happening anytime in my life.

Strange thing is, some countries are doing very well, even though Dubai is really expensive.

Could it be that the canaries vision for upmarket tourists is the correct one?

01 May 2012
Strong outlook for UAE tourism

Dubai continues to set the pace for tourism in the United Arab Emirates.

Mohammad Khamis Al Muhairi, director general of the National Council for Tourism and Antiquities (NCTA), the federal government's tourism regulatory body, said, the UAE's tourism industry grew 15% to 14.5 million guests in 2011.

Europeans led in guest nights with 10.5 million followed by Asians at 9.3 million and GCC nationals at six million.

"The tourism sector's contribution to the UAE GDP reached 7% in 2011 and we expect it to grow further this year," Al Muhairi said.

Hotel room capacity is expected to reach 20,000 rooms by 2015 and 70% of these hotels are located in Dubai, he added.

The tourism sector's contribution to Dubai GDP reached 31% last year, the Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) said.

Khalid Bin Sulayem, director-general of DTCM, said it expects a 10% rise in hotel guests in 2012 against the previous year's 9.3 million hotel guests and cruise passengers.

From Travel Mole

bonitatime
01-05-2012, 12:49
Tenerife is never going to be Dubai
It is always quiet at this time of year and often in bad years quiet in the summer.
That said two receptionists who I travel on the bus with both say their resorts are full and my other half is much busier than in other years.

delderek
01-05-2012, 12:55
To get to the level of Dubai you would need to flatten most of Tenerife and start again. Plus you would need to get the airlines to start flying 1st class. I can't see it happening anytime in my life.

I am afraid I have to agree:cry:

YOUNG GOLFER
01-05-2012, 13:17
Have to laugh at this so let's make Tenerife into Dubai by making it flat.......

Just like to see how many of our forum members would cope with a pint of beer in Dubai.

Dubai £5 GBP = 6€ a pint

Tenerife 82p = 1€ a pint

1st class flight

A weeks return 1st class to Dubai in May = 6,175€

A weeks return Ryan air (a quick look same dates) = 145€

So who's going to Dubai then:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Balcony
01-05-2012, 13:30
I find myself agreeing with YG

YOUNG GOLFER
01-05-2012, 13:39
I find myself agreeing with YG

You know it makes sense.......

Had a forum member just popped in the shop and she just paid 52 pounds return Edinburgh now that's good.

here's one for you guys about time you joined the half glass full gang.:tiphat:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=glass+half+full&start=120&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Bms&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1024&bih=585&addh=36&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=_rZn3s9ZAe9W3M:&imgrefurl=http://www.danoah.com/2011/10/glass-half-empty-glass-half-full.html&docid=861EApcXpa6EFM&imgurl=http://www.danoah.com/wp-content/uploads/glass-half-empty-glass-half-full-always-full.jpg&w=463&h=600&ei=QtifT-rINKSx0QX0kamJBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=786&vpy=197&dur=1846&hovh=256&hovw=197&tx=148&ty=133&sig=104467033416239107260&page=6&tbnh=130&tbnw=100&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:120,i:81

TOTO 99
01-05-2012, 13:52
Have to laugh at this so let's make Tenerife into Dubai by making it flat.......

Just like to see how many of our forum members would cope with a pint of beer in Dubai.

Dubai £5 GBP = 6€ a pint

Tenerife 82p = 1€ a pint

1st class flight

You forgot to add that if you get caught illegally letting your apartment you get yor hands chopped off..:eek:

delderek
01-05-2012, 13:59
You forgot to add that if you get caught illegally letting your apartment you get yor hands chopped off..:eek:

But, looky looky watches are half the price of Tenerife.:raspberry:

kathml
01-05-2012, 14:02
You can't compare Dubia and Tenerife Dubia is a transit hub handling many through flights to many other countries and many of their tourists are just passing through staying perhaps 1/2 nights

Tenerife on the whole tourists stay7/14 days in the main

This is not that I think tourism in Tenerife is doing well

From personal observation this last few years it seem quieter everytime

however the only way to truly judge is if you could get true figures for the number bednights and true figures from the Airports as to the in/out figures

However as we unlikely to get these figures all we can go on is personal observation

BobMac
01-05-2012, 15:12
You should check Skyscanner...........They have plenty at around £1000 for October 20-27
London Gatwick to TFS £ 955.92 for 4 on those dates.

I know but that isn't the school half term this year, the half term is 27th Oct to 2nd November

kathml
01-05-2012, 16:18

Dubai £5 GBP = 6€ a pint

Tenerife 82p = 1€ a pint

1st class flight

Lets be fair LGW to Tenerife S ryanair £101

LGW to Dubia Emerates £366

Okay more expensive further to go and more comfortable by far

delderek
01-05-2012, 17:03
Lets be fair LGW to Tenerife S ryanair £101

LGW to Dubia Emerates £366

Okay more expensive further to go and more comfortable by far

Choice of 7 films, free drinks, free food, lots of legroom, nice well trained staff, and definately not Airbus A320's buses.

kathml
01-05-2012, 18:31
well to many bars anyway - not all can survive they are businessman not the red cross
and as for illegal lettings ... the secret is in the word ILLEGAL the government want you to pay YOUR TAXS

Added after 3 minutes:

what paper please ...

I will find the quote but
BRITSH TOURISTS DOWN 65%
GERMAN TOURIST DOWN 5%
RUSSIAN UP
SCANIA UP
FRENCH UP

you are sitting in a purpose built british seaside resort .....it dont do anything else ...

I was as our local coucil market a few weeks back
it was HEAVING with german ´´winter stayers´´
and this summer the spanish pensioners will be back for there cheap holidays keeping the hotels ticking over ...

also my dad says most brits he knows are doing the double OLYMPICS/QUEEN PARTY

dubai - reminds me of that bugs bunny cartton where he thinks he on maimi beach but turn out to be in the middle of a desert . looking but cant find the topless beachs on google

I don't know where you get your figures but UK down 65% would mean that the germans russians scands french and all the rest except for the spanish would have to double to make up the shortfall

tonypub
01-05-2012, 18:41
tourist numbers will be down,theres a global crisis going on.last year we had the egypt effect,not so this year.the tourists are here,just most stay in all incs.brits are creatures of habit,many in the uk choose to stay in rather than go out,so when they come here they do the same.pubs are closing all over the uk as they are here.its lifestyle evolution,social interaction is dying a death.luckily there are some places that will do alright.see you tonight:)

delderek
01-05-2012, 18:57
tourist numbers will be down,theres a global crisis going on.last year we had the egypt effect,not so this year.the tourists are here,just most stay in all incs.brits are creatures of habit,many in the uk choose to stay in rather than go out,so when they come here they do the same.pubs are closing all over the uk as they are here.its lifestyle evolution,social interaction is dying a death.luckily there are some places that will do alright.see you tonight:)

The strange thing is the bars in Dubai are normally heaving,,,yes even at 5 or 6 quid a pint, its a different class of people,,,the same people that the Canaries want to attract. (didn't say it would work, but that's what they want.) Oh by the way, June, July, August, you have to go into a bar to drink, it's to hot and humid to do anything else.

tonypub
01-05-2012, 19:01
The strange thing is the bars in Dubai are normally heaving,,,yes even at 5 or 6 quid a pint, its a different class of people,,,the same people that the Canaries want to attract. (didn't say it would work, but that's what they want.) Oh by the way, June, July, August, you have to go into a bar to drink, it's to hot and humid to do anything else.dubai is not a concern of mine

delderek
01-05-2012, 19:10
dubai is not a concern of mine

Where is your concern?

kathml
01-05-2012, 19:25
i dont understand this britsih toursit are not even no the list here ???

http://www.todotenerife.es/en/article/show/2755/turismo

What a stupid site either the Irish figures for 2011 refer to UK or nobody from the UK comes to Tenerife which we all know isn't true

AL JAY
01-05-2012, 19:25
i dont understand this britsih toursit are not even no the list here ???

http://www.todotenerife.es/en/article/show/2755/turismo

We have all stopped coming because we can't find any decent apartments in decent locations,and we don't fancy staying AI in hotels! :wink: