PDA

View Full Version : Other Be careful driving in flip flops in Tenerife

dede
01-05-2012, 23:02
There seems to be a bigger police presence lately on the roads checking documentation for some reason and today there was a post on FB about police can now prosecute if driving in flip flops !! I nearly always have flip flops on but just before i went out tonight i thought about this post and went and put my full shoes on, well unbelievably i was stopped on the guargacho road for a document check and the policeman also asked could he see my shoes!!!! I wonder if i would have been the next victim to be helping with their funds had i not put my shoes on. I must admit i felt like id won the lottery when he had to let me drive on. Needless to say i will be wearing my full shoes when driving now. :spin:

slodgedad
01-05-2012, 23:37
I got pulled tonight and was asked to step out, which has never happened before, and he looked at my feet.

Didn't occur to me why til I read this..

grumps
02-05-2012, 01:23
Drunk in charge of a Flipflop...now there`s a thong..:laugh:..
:eyebrows:

CIM
02-05-2012, 02:07
This has always been the case. Ankles/heels must be encompassed by the shoe or something. I remember reading this quite a few years ago.

slodgedad
02-05-2012, 02:24
This has always been the case. Ankles/heels must be encompassed by the shoe or something. I remember reading this quite a few years ago.

True, but it seems it may be the latest 'purge' now everyone has forgotten...

seanocelt
02-05-2012, 03:26
anyone know what the penalty is for this? (another sign of the "lets get some easy money in" times).

dixie4
02-05-2012, 08:55
I was in Majorca when the flip flop rule came in along with a rule that men could not drive bare chested (and women too for that matter althouigh that might be interesting).
When out and about early one morning a VW golf pulled up outside the local shop and a senior German got out wearing flip flops and a pair of shorts. The police pounced and it appeared that they awarded him an on the spot fine! This was after about 20 mins of arguement, checking his papers and checking his car from end to end. I am unsure which branch of the police were involved. After what I saw I would certainly abide by the law it is not worth the hassel and the fine.

chocaholic
02-05-2012, 09:18
Is it legal to drive in bare feet?
I always take my high heels off!!

Jelly Baby
02-05-2012, 10:20
Is it legal to drive in bare feet?
I always take my high heels off!!

I must admit I often drive with bare feet. Thanks for the heads up, Dede!

canarybird
02-05-2012, 11:19
The bare chested rule is because the seat belt can cause terrible burn injuries on bare skin in an accident or near accident.

I don't know if it's illegal to drive in bare feet but one is supposed to wear shoes with a sole that can grip the pedals and which won't slide off the feet or get stuck beneath the pedals as flip flops could do in an emergency or hard braking situation. Bare feet don't have adequate traction to do this, so I can see the guardia might consider this an infraction.

Canarybird

Kande
02-05-2012, 11:43
Yep, the police were really busy in Guargacho yesterday. Whilst out walking my dogs, I spotted the police helping out a grua to take a car away and he also stuck tickets on 2 cars for not parking within the white parking lines, 80 euros per ticket. So be careful how you park!

Suzanne
02-05-2012, 15:47
The amount of young'uns going about on scooters in flipflops, does it not apply to them also?

Added after 45 minutes:

The amount of young'uns going about on scooters in flipflops, does it not apply to them also?

timmylish
03-05-2012, 00:43
As with CIM. Cannot remember when this law came into effect but it was a very long time ago.
On another finable, but oft ignored transgression in place is the requirement, for spectacle wearers, to carry in the car a spare pair of said glasses. Must be of the same strength as the ones being worn at the time of being stopped by the police. Now, hands up who did not know this one?

slodgedad
03-05-2012, 02:32
As with CIM. Cannot remember when this law came into effect but it was a very long time ago.
On another finable, but oft ignored transgression in place is the requirement, for spectacle wearers, to carry in the car a spare pair of said glasses. Must be of the same strength as the ones being worn at the time of being stopped by the police. Now, hands up who did not know this one?

Hands up. This has really woken me up....

dede
03-05-2012, 07:30
I knew about this one, always have a spare pair in the car.

Megaloo
03-05-2012, 07:59
Yes I did know this one, and have a spare pair in there.

seanocelt
03-05-2012, 11:30
Knew it but do not adhere to it. Anyone heard of THIS one being implemented.? Reminds me of all the ancient laws still on the statute at home that are long ignored. (wearing a hat on a Thursday, walking around with an offensive wife etc).

Malteser Monkey
03-05-2012, 11:36

So being pickey what about sling backs, seriously as heels and ankles are bare !

samnickgodber
03-05-2012, 12:26
After passing my test here only 18 mths ago i came across this one and it states that the footware has to be secure around the ankles and heels,,,, make up your own mind as to what you would describe sling backs as, i wear a pair of gladiator sandels x

canarybird
03-05-2012, 12:50
Quoting from the ETRASA manual dated 1997 used in an online driving course for Spain, but written in English, it states ..."It is advisable to use flexible and lightweight shoes (bold as in the manual) that will allow adequate action on the pedals. Shoes with thick soles, high-heeled or not firmly secured to the feet (flip-flop type) should not be worn."

The foregoing stands to reason, but I don't know whether or not it has been made into law since the manual was written. I know when I was taking my Spanish tests shortly before samnickgodber did, I bought a pair of light canvas rubber-soled shoes to wear for my road outings with the instructor as it was easier for me to control the pedals of the diesel powered car, after I had been used to a driving an automatic. So thick-soled shoes such as heavy duty sport shoes could also be questionable, as the driving manual written in Spanish also cautions against their use while driving.

I imagine that any sling back shoe that is strong enough to hold the foot firmly in the shoe without any backward sliding could be considered safe but you can never tell if a guardia would agree if you're stopped for a check. The important thing is not to wear an open backed shoe that allows the foot to slide out. Years ago I had the experience of having my foot suddenly slide out of a backless sandal while driving and it was scary. Never again!

When I was working and had to dress up wearing high heels I kept a pair of flat shoes in the car and changed back and forth.

Suej
03-05-2012, 14:05
I got pulled tonight and was asked to step out, which has never happened before, and he looked at my feet.

Didn't occur to me why til I read this..

I hope it was dark and your black suede feet passed as shoes!:laugh:

timmylish
03-05-2012, 23:55
Knew it but do not adhere to it. Anyone heard of THIS one being implemented.? Reminds me of all the ancient laws still on the statute at home that are long ignored. (wearing a hat on a Thursday, walking around with an offensive wife etc).Ye sit is Sean!
One of our neighbours here in San Isidro was stopped at the roundabout here as he came off the autopista from SC. 17.00, full breath test, shoes and glasses plus of course the statutory inspection of not only his papers (Spanish) but his boot area and under the rear seat. This man is nearly 60 and was travelling with wife and one Grandchild! He jockingly asked the Guardia Civil Officer if he needed a duplicate of the child. Apparently didn,t see this funny!

seanocelt
04-05-2012, 04:38
Unreal but totally believable. Now folks, dinnae get your knickers in a twist, please .......... BUT..... What is it with the cops in Guarguacho/Isidro/Granadilla? Its like a "we are gonna get you " campaign. I had never , ever been to Guargaucho, until last week, drove through, said to wife " dunno what all the fuss is about but the cops seem to love "doing" people there. Someone, gimme a reason why Guargacho is such a hotspot???

dede
04-05-2012, 07:27
I travel through Guargacho twice every day and this week alone i have been pulled up three times, its unbelievable the ammount of police pulling people over, i think there has to be something going on.

tfs1
04-05-2012, 09:10
In the mainland around this time of the year police are looking to increase their sumer holiday spending money and as they apparantly get a cut of the fines you always find greater activity regarding dishing out tickets etc in May/June.

We always are careful where we park and how fast we go !

Of course they maybe just trying to encourage everyone to drive more safely which is no bad thing.

Simon-M
04-05-2012, 11:03
and where i can leave my back door open 24/7 .

OOOOh err Matron ;)

Jackie
04-05-2012, 19:32
There's loads of them everywhere at the moment, especially in the villages. Maybe they think all the criminals are going to take the back roads. Every morning here in El Roque Guardia Civil are parked up on the main San Miguel road at 7.15 every morning and have been for weeks stopping cars. Sometimes they just check their paperwork others get the full 'strip' search.
They're normally on the first roundabout as you come from La Camella into Valle San Lorenzo late afternoons as well doing the same.

Plenty of Policia Local around Fanabe Plaza as well every day....lost count of how many cars have been taken by the Grua over the last couple of weeks because their either double parked or parked in the bus stop...does make for good 'people watching' from the office though ;)

mariben
08-05-2012, 11:51
This has always been the case. Ankles/heels must be encompassed by the shoe or something. I remember reading this quite a few years ago.I have never heard of this and none of my friends have mentioned it, so thanks, I have drove in flip flops, but I won't now. I suppose if you drive bare foot you would have your shoes down on the floor so you could always pop them on your feet if you do get stopped.

mariben
08-05-2012, 13:24
On another finable, but oft ignored transgression in place is the requirement, for spectacle wearers, to carry in the car a spare pair of said glasses. Must be of the same strength as the ones being worn at the time of being stopped by the police. Now, hands up who did not know this one?Yes I did know that, my partner has glasses and a spare pair in the car.

Jackie
08-05-2012, 16:55
Well I have nothing but admiration for the GC that do the road check in my village. They drive round the village before setting up 'camp' on the main San Miguel road every morning near the bus stop Yesterday and today they were driving past my house as I was leaving for work and gave me a lift to the bus stop, nice one lads...see they can be nice when you don't drive and have no worries about them fining you ;)

Pooh
08-05-2012, 17:31
I guess I should stop driving in my Birkenstock's... they are like glued to my feet, and very comfortable and safe, they would never slide, but since there really isn't anything behind my heels, they would probably not be accepted by the cops...
A pity, I ware them 365 days a year; I basically never use anything else, when outside.
Since I have quite big feet, I have problems finding footwear here, too.

lcbandit
22-11-2012, 07:17
Hi all

I am hiring a car when I come over in dec and I haven't driver over there for a few years now so could be interesting! my question is this, can you be fined by the police for driving in flip flop type footwear and is there anything else we should know?

ta very muchly

mandy

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

wont let me edit but should say driven

Vortex Wake
22-11-2012, 08:39
Yes, do not wear flip flops.

Do NOT cross or straddle solid white lines (Tenerife uses solid lines to denote lanes a lot ).

Drive around roundabouts on the outer lane (not inner) regardless of your exit.

If your cross over oncoming lanes to park in a lay by - remember to move off on the correct lane ( important on quiet back roads at night ).

Stop DEAD at solid 'stop' lines.

You need to have your documents with you when out - ex pats will add more info.

Have fun !

PS, I don't always practice what I preach ;)
My videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RoGMUABJlE&list=UUGCpQSULjrqHNuEJ3Jot4KA&index=3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN14SK3Vr30&list=UUGCpQSULjrqHNuEJ3Jot4KA&index=23&feature=plcp

angiebabes
22-11-2012, 09:22
What are the inside lanes on a roundabout for please if you should never use them??? When is a fit flop not a fit flop??. When it's a sandal!

samnickgodber
22-11-2012, 09:38
If you use the inside of a roundabout you will find it hard to get off the roundabout,, and a flip flop is NOT a flip flop when it fastens around the ankle like a sandel or has a back in it like a shoe or plimpsol ect xxx

LUCKY
22-11-2012, 09:50
:feret:Do not leave filling station without paying for your'e fuel:flatcap::feret::feret:

KirstyJay
22-11-2012, 14:21
Hi all

I am hiring a car when I come over in dec and I haven't driver over there for a few years now so could be interesting! my question is this, can you be fined by the police for driving in flip flop type footwear and is there anything else we should know?

ta very muchly

mandy

wont let me edit but should say drivenI have merged your thread with an existing one that answers your question. You could try the search box at the top, right of the forum, as you can often find your answer a lot quicker. I typed in 'flip flops' and this thread popped up straight away :)

lcbandit
22-11-2012, 16:44
Ok thanks for that but in my defence for some reason the site wouldn't let me do a great deal last night couldn't even edit my post as it just brought a blank screen up although that could be the works computer being a pain lol, quick question on the flip flop thing my sandals don't have a back in but do have a solid band over the foot and toe so would they class these as flip flops or are they just toe post type footwear?

My next question is the roundabout thing as I will be coming of tf1 at San eugenio, can I use the inside lane on the roundabout then at the shopping centre one as I will be heading down the one way system towards Santa Maria?
Can see this being stressful lol

Ok having read the rest of the post (should've done it first I know lol) I will wear my crocs with the strap round the back of my foot n should be covered! Looks like I'll have to bring my trainers too but by hell do they stink with no socks on with em!!!

When you say make sure you have your docs with you does that include my passport? Don't really like carrying that round with me!
Think I'll end up leaving the driving to my son! Lol