PDA

View Full Version : My ear is blocked after a flight. What remedies can I find in Tenerife?

realejos
02-05-2012, 12:05
4 days after a flight to Tenerife one of my ears is still heavy blocked/clogged. Things like chewing gum, yawning etc don't help.
Today it became even more blocked. No pain at all. Can I go to Urgencias or I have to visit my doctor @ Centro de Salud? I have Tarjeta Sanitaria but the problem is that I have moved here from another municipality and I don't have a doctor yet. I just don't know if it's a case when I can go to Urgencias.
Thanks.

delderek
02-05-2012, 13:52
4 days after a flight to Tenerife one of my ears is still heavy blocked/clogged. Things like chewing gum, yawning etc don't help.
Today it became even more blocked. No pain at all. Can I go to Urgencias or I have to visit my doctor @ Centro de Salud? I have Tarjeta Sanitaria but the problem is that I have moved here from another municipality and I don't have a doctor yet. I just don't know if it's a case when I can go to Urgencias.
Thanks.

I don't think you will have much luck, as normally before having the ears syringed, they require you to soften the wax for a few days first, using drops or oil.

Tony the Welder
02-05-2012, 14:37
when my ears are blocked normaly a few drops of agua oxigenada sorts it out or ear drops from the chemist both cheep and no need to see the doc the first most suppermarkets sell this

realejos
02-05-2012, 15:07
thanks, I will try agua oxigenada.

cainaries
02-05-2012, 15:09
You could also try buying a nasal spray and giving huge sniffs to blast the air through to your ears. I suppose the wisest is to ask in the chemist's.

curlytop
02-05-2012, 15:13
Fluid in the Eustachian tube is apparently a common problem caused through air travel. At its worse it can cause total deafness and it's almost like you can hear blood flowing through your ears - particularly when trying to sleep at night.
My Doctor recommended dissolving menthol crystals in hot water and inhaling for around 10 minutes. (Don't use too many crystals though or your eyes will sting. Oh, and make sure you wash your hands before touching any delicate areas of your body :wink: or you will scream). You then need to pinch your nose gently and blow gently - it does help especially if you repeat it on a daily basis. Good luck!

Sundowner
02-05-2012, 16:21
Before I fly I use Beconase spray 3 times a day for 3 days prior to flying and never have a problem with my ears. This was recommended by a nurse at my local doctors and was one of the best tips I have had.

Beconase is used for the treatment of hayfever and is an over the counter drug in the U.K.

davship
03-05-2012, 08:34
Our youngest daughter has the same problem as you every time we come over (normally twice a year) All we normally do is go to any pharmacia we have found the staff there always very knowledgable and (of course) perfect English speakers (most of them better than me!!!!! Ha Ha )

Hope this helps

DeedeeTipperary
03-05-2012, 10:18
Great tips folks , a couple of years back I had a bad cold travelling to Lanzarote and for ten days out of my two week holiday I was practically deaf , my two kids thought it very amusing that I couldnt hear much and were doing a lot of messing withme :laugh: I nearly always suffer some hearing loss for a day or two after a flight so now I have a few tips on how to treat it :thanx:

cainaries
03-05-2012, 13:40
I was told by a doctor to use a nasal spray 20 minutes before take-off and 20 minutes before landing to try to minimise the problem.