PDA

View Full Version : Why is someone changing the way I title my posts and why are some deleted?

emmalu
03-05-2012, 00:12
I just don't understand... what is going on?

slodgedad
03-05-2012, 03:10
Thread titles are changed for a variety of reasons.

The main reason is so they can be of help to other members doing a search.

I change some title threads to make them more interesting so that members will reply and have had bets with myself as to how many replies certain thread titles will get.

It gives me a bit of pride when a thread isn't answered for a day and then once edited it takes off.

BTW. Which threads are you concerned about?

I have checked your thread history and not much has been touched.

emmalu
03-05-2012, 12:11
I can understand that you are trying to help, but shouldn't you advise people beforehand? I can see that you are a super moderator, but does that give you the right to change someones thread to a "better one?", True it may be written better the way you change it, but I still consider that not telling the person you are going to change it, feels like you are "invading (at least for me) freedom of how I write"...it's true people make spelling mistakes ( me included) but as I say, maybe telling the person beforehand may be a better way of helping...

TOTO 99
03-05-2012, 12:30
Emmalu, if it makes you feel any better I don't like it either.
But the T's & c's when you sign up basically say that you should not be questioning the actions of the mods. It belongs to the owners and they can do as they wish with it. There's no real argument I'm afraid.
I refuse to start a thread now because of it but I don't lose any sleep over it and neither should you. Life's too short. :)

Suej
03-05-2012, 12:47
I do understand why the thread titles are changed (sometimes) It would be good if we could change/edit our own titles I have often started a thread and then thought better of it after and have wanted to change the title myself! :spin:

admin
03-05-2012, 12:56
I can understand that you are trying to help, but shouldn't you advise people beforehand? I can see that you are a super moderator, but does that give you the right to change someones thread to a "better one?", True it may be written better the way you change it, but I still consider that not telling the person you are going to change it, feels like you are "invading (at least for me) freedom of how I write"...it's true people make spelling mistakes ( me included) but as I say, maybe telling the person beforehand may be a better way of helping...Thread titles are changed to help you and the forum.

They help you by enabling people that are browsing to have more of an idea of what your thread is about and therefore know if they can reply/help or not.

For example, a thread entitled 'apartment' does not tell you anything.

If it's changed to 'apartment wanted for long term let in Los Cristianos', then it is likely to be noticed a lot better by people with apartments in Los Cristianos that may be looking for long term tenants and then they will enter the thread and reply.

It helps the forum by making it more search engine friendly, which in turn helps you again, as it's indexed on google and gets even more replies. Each thread title is a link. Links are followed by search engine spiders and then indexed.

It also helps people find threads using the forum search facility. If you look at the quick search box at the top, right of the forum, this searches for key words within titles. If the words aren't there, the threads are not included in the results and valuable information may be missed by people that really need it.

We also move threads if they are posted in the wrong sections for the same reasons. For example, you posted this thread in the General Tenerife Chat section, when it is clearly asking a question about forum functions so should be in the Help and Assistance section, so I have moved it for you. When threads are moved then a redirect is left in its original location for a period of 24 hours so that you can still find your thread if you go back to where you posted it.

We don't delete ANYTHING. Some threads are removed from view, but they are still saved for legal reasons. The only reason anything is ever removed from view is if it is against forum rules, which you can read here (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?89-Tenerife-Forum-Rules) if you have not already. As far as I can see, none of your posts or threads have been removed - ever - so I am not sure what has prompted your question about this.

Due to the amount of work that the moderators do, it's impossible to expect us to contact each person before we move or change threads. All members are prompted to read the rules when they join. There's an automatic notification system that does it. If they choose not to read them and click off the thread, then we can't be held responsible for their decision and certainly should not have to double our workload to inform people again. So, if you haven't read the rules you can always read them now or contact any moderator by PM at any time and they will happily answer any questions you have in the future.

In short, if you don't want your thread title changed or your thread moved, then please title it well yourself and post in the correct sections. Just a little thought on behalf of the poster negates any moderator action and the less work we have to do the better. We don't change thread titles or move threads on some power crazy rampage, it's to make the forum easier to navigate and the information easier to find.

I hope that clears a few things up for you :)

admin
03-05-2012, 12:58
I do understand why the thread titles are changed (sometimes) It would be good if we could change/edit our own titles I have often started a thread and then thought better of it after and have wanted to change the title myself! :spin:
I have never seen a plugin for this. I'll look, but the more plugins we install the greater the possibility the forum will get bugs, so we try not to do too much.

timmylish
04-05-2012, 00:01
I just don't understand... what is going on?

Good God Almighty. Can you not understand that it is an improvement being made to the thread title and in many cases just to have it make sense. Having experience of your diction I can fully endorse the acting,s of the Mods. What is there not to understand?

slodgedad
04-05-2012, 01:20
Thread titles are changed to help you and the forum.

They help you by enabling people that are browsing to have more of an idea of what your thread is about and therefore know if they can reply/help or not.

For example, a thread entitled 'apartment' does not tell you anything.

If it's changed to 'apartment wanted for long term let in Los Cristianos', then it is likely to be noticed a lot better by people with apartments in Los Cristianos that may be looking for long term tenants and then they will enter the thread and reply.

It helps the forum by making it more search engine friendly, which in turn helps you again, as it's indexed on google and gets even more replies. Each thread title is a link. Links are followed by search engine spiders and then indexed.

It also helps people find threads using the forum search facility. If you look at the quick search box at the top, right of the forum, this searches for key words within titles. If the words aren't there, the threads are not included in the results and valuable information may be missed by people that really need it.

We also move threads if they are posted in the wrong sections for the same reasons. For example, you posted this thread in the General Tenerife Chat section, when it is clearly asking a question about forum functions so should be in the Help and Assistance section, so I have moved it for you. When threads are moved then a redirect is left in its original location for a period of 24 hours so that you can still find your thread if you go back to where you posted it.

We don't delete ANYTHING. Some threads are removed from view, but they are still saved for legal reasons. The only reason anything is ever removed from view is if it is against forum rules, which you can read here (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?89-Tenerife-Forum-Rules) if you have not already. As far as I can see, none of your posts or threads have been removed - ever - so I am not sure what has prompted your question about this.

Due to the amount of work that the moderators do, it's impossible to expect us to contact each person before we move or change threads. All members are prompted to read the rules when they join. There's an automatic notification system that does it. If they choose not to read them and click off the thread, then we can't be held responsible for their decision and certainly should not have to double our workload to inform people again. So, if you haven't read the rules you can always read them now or contact any moderator by PM at any time and they will happily answer any questions you have in the future.

In short, if you don't want your thread title changed or your thread moved, then please title it well yourself and post in the correct sections. Just a little thought on behalf of the poster negates any moderator action and the less work we have to do the better. We don't change thread titles or move threads on some power crazy rampage, it's to make the forum easier to navigate and the information easier to find.

I hope that clears a few things up for you :)

I was gonna say that, but I didn't have time...:respect:

emmalu
04-05-2012, 14:22
Timmylish, keep your hair on! it was a simple question. And thanks for your comment "Having experience of your diction I can fully endorse the acting",, so kind of you to point that out to me.Do you speak and write fluently many languages? Maybe if you knew who I was you may understand if I have made spelling mistakes in the past. And to be honest I think you can understand perfectly whatever thread I have ever written in the past.
Oh and please, don't take the Lord's name in vain.
Have a good day :)

Added after 2 minutes:

To everyone else who posted on the thread, thank you for clarifying everything ;)

cheery
04-05-2012, 15:47
I posted a thread with the minimum title and it got no replies. The title was changed/expanded and it got several pages of replies.

It is done with the best intentions.

Suej
04-05-2012, 16:33
I think that happens more often than not tbh when titles are changed it's mostly for the better! other times though to be fair changing the title completely isn't what you want to say/ask! Please don't punish me mods I'm only saying!:respect::sorry:

I wanted to put the little bowing man smilie but thought the mods would think I was a bit of a crawler!:wink:

Peanuts
05-05-2012, 21:20
Don't worry Emalu .. everyone's entitled to ask a question .. even Timmylish doesn't know EVERYTHING ; ))

KirstyJay
05-05-2012, 23:56
...other times though to be fair changing the title completely isn't what you want to say/ask!...If that happens, send a mod a PM or report the post with a better title idea in the report box and they'll change it to something better for you :)

Sunshine Hire
06-05-2012, 01:33
Have posted a couple of posts today and they have been removed

sunseeker
06-05-2012, 14:52
have you asked a moderator? thats what it said to do in the post earlier.