PDA

View Full Version : Internet Has anyone heard of a company called Tenerife Telecom?

Vivy
04-05-2012, 11:45
Hi all,
Has anyone had dealings with this company or know anything about them? Here's a link to their website. http://www.tenerifetelecom.com/adsl-broadband/home-pack-adsl

I want to change my provider but am loathe to return to Telefonica and don't want to go to Direct Telecom either. I live in a rural area by Granadilla and am getting around 2.5 MB at the moment. Any recommendations?

Muppet
04-05-2012, 12:18
Your line speed is governed by what Telefonica can provide to your location - third party operators can often provide you with easier packages and better support (for example in English) - some provide TV programmes as well, but you are ultimately in the hands of the big beast that is, these days, Movistar.

There is a speed checking thingy on the Movistar site which you put your number into and it tells you the max speed on your line at your home, the link for which they will do for you.

Vivy
04-05-2012, 12:28
When I check my number on the Movistar site it says I can get up to 6MB, however there is another place to check that the service providers go to and most of them say I can only have 1MB. This company Tenerife Telecom told me only 1MB too when I told him that I'm currently getting up to 3MB, around 2.5, he said they could only promise me up to 1MB but I'd probably get the same as I'm getting now. I don't like words like "probably"

Jaztel also told me they could only provide me with up to 1MB.

Muppet
04-05-2012, 12:37
Seems a bit like you have answered your own question. One thing is for certain, if anybody is going to get you the fastest speed possible on ADSL it is going to be the ADSL provider itself - i.e. Movistar/TeleCONica.

Nobody ever gets the maximum speed available, it depends on distance from the exchange and all services are listed as "up to".

The answer to your question would seem to depend on whether you want to deal with someone in English or Spanish. I have no experience of either of the people you mention

CIM
04-05-2012, 13:14
Get in touch with forum member Satellite (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/member.php?6758-SATELLITE)- if anything can be done to increase your internet speed he will be able to do it. If there is a better package, he will get you it and if there is a better price he will know about it.
He is an expert on Spanish telecommunications.

golf birdie
04-05-2012, 13:49
I know someone who has 1mb and checked the telefonica site and it came up saying they could have 20mb for 5 euros more than they were paying. Phoned 1004 and the man said it was not possible on that line. My friend asked why the site said it was and the man replied, no word of a lie, ''thats what we would like to give you'':laugh::laugh::laugh: Only Telefonica:laugh:

KirstyJay
04-05-2012, 14:29
It is forum member, Harlequin, who owns Tenerife Telecom.

Harlequin
04-05-2012, 17:13
Thanks for the prompt on Facebook Kirsty...

Hes indeed... I have the dubious honour of owning the company :)

Vivy
04-05-2012, 22:18
Thanks all for your helpful replies. will pm you for your number satellite as yes Id like a chat. Basically this is my dilemma.

I'm quite happy with the 2.5mb I get now, faster would be nice but not essential I'm just worried by changing it will go down to under 1mb. The reason I want to change is mainly because my provider is very expensive €36 per month just for ADSL not inc line rental.

Telefonica have been to my house many times over the last few months because the speed was fluctuating a lot and most of the time under 1mb, all the telefonica engineers said I should get the 3mb I'd subscribed for and one even said 6mb was possible. With my current provider to get 6mb would cost even more, which I can't afford.

My second worry is Telefonica sorted the problem which was on the lines to my house by just "cleaning them up a bit". The engineer told me the box outside was in a dreadful state and if I continue to have problems he will reroute my line through another box. Why they can't just change the box and bad cabling etc. only Telefonica knows, cost I suppose, but aren't we supposed to be paying for them to keep the lines in good working order in our line rental? Anyhow this tells me the problem will more than likely return at some point.

It took 6 months for Telefonica to finally find and admit to the problem, they kept saying at first it was due to the router that my current ADSL provider had supplied. It was only due to my hastling and the perserverance of my current provider's agent in Tenerife, not the providers themselves, who is Spanish but speaks perfect English that I got the problem sorted. So my second worry is if this or another such problem occurs will a new provider be able to get Telefonica to sort it out or will I then be stuck with an even worse service?

Really stuck, unsure what to do but finances are so tight just don't think I can carry on paying over 51 euros a month.

Vivy
21-05-2012, 22:21
Wanted to say a big thank-you to satellite.

I've decided to go with Telefonica/Movistar for my internet as they own all the lines anyway, I felt they're going to be the people if I get more problems to fix it. I think they have changed and bucked up their ideas a lot from the old Telefonica I remember.

Satellite has been a great help, he's always there with helpful advice and after I'd made my desicion he offered to phone Telefonica for me. He also managed to get a mistake on my billing rectified (something I'd tried to do in the past and failed) and Telefonica have even given me a refund!!

Thanks CIM for advising me to contact Satellite. He has been so patient with all my indescision. He's always a kind and cheery soul on the other end of the line full of helpful advice.

I'm now waiting for my new Movistar router to arrive, they say I should get up to 6MB! I will update you further when it's all installed.

Thanks again Satellite.

grumps
22-05-2012, 11:49
Have 2 say Telefonica seem to have improved...i placed my order in the movistar shop and they installed everything the next day..last year it took 6 weeks..! Competition is a wonderful thing..!