PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork What paperwork needs to be done for people returning to UK?

pinto
04-05-2012, 12:13
:tiphat:???
Hi Folks, I was asked a question the other day at the Pool bar by a couple who have been residents for 4 years. They are returning to the UK and, the question is, Do we have to reverse all the offices we visited in order to gain Recidencia before returning. I am going nowhere and could not answer. Anyone got the difinitive.
Kindest Regards, Pinto

9PLUS
04-05-2012, 12:51
Well i for one don't understand what you are asking

mossy
04-05-2012, 13:29
Well i for one don't understand what you are asking

The question is simple,do they have to apply to become non resident?I presume you do that at the police station.

Suej
04-05-2012, 13:39
The question is simple,do they have to apply to become non resident?I presume you do that at the police station.

Unless I was liable for any taxes I would just up and go! Wouldn't the residencia just expire after 4 years anyway?

Malteser Monkey
04-05-2012, 13:41
Unless I was liable for any taxes I would just up and go! Wouldn't the residencia just expire after 4 years anyway?

ooops that's what I did - never even thought about it !

princessmonika
04-05-2012, 13:43
How did you find out that after 4 years it expires ?

Suej
04-05-2012, 13:44
ooops that's what I did - never even thought about it !

Neither would I! I'd just go! not much anyone can do about it is there!? :)

Malteser Monkey
04-05-2012, 13:51
my tarjeta had an expiry date on

Suej
04-05-2012, 14:05
my tarjeta had an expiry date on

So you would have to re-apply if you came back to Tenerife! You wouldn't get a card anymore either Monkey Ex-pats just get a piece of paper!

seanocelt
04-05-2012, 14:14
Of course residencia expires, i would emphasise baja any social security /tax issues at correct offices.

Malteser Monkey
04-05-2012, 14:16
So you would have to re-apply if you came back to Tenerife! You wouldn't get a card anymore either Monkey Ex-pats just get a piece of paper!

Really the old red card with the fingerprint on and your NIE has gone !??

chifleta
04-05-2012, 14:26
How did you find out that after 4 years it expires ?

you took the words out of my mouth :)

Added after 6 minutes:

Of course residencia expires, i would emphasise baja any social security /tax issues at correct offices.
well mine says "la persona que a continuacion se indica, ha solicitado y obtenido su inscripcion en el registro central de extranjeros de la direccion general de la policia y de la guardia civil, como residente comunitario con caracter permanente en Espaņa, desde el 24 octubre 1997" (though actually that should be 1992.... so they got it wrong) .... doesn't say it runs out after 4 years...

anyways, I'd be like the majority, i'd just leave, unless you need to have documentation...

cainaries
04-05-2012, 15:22
Being ancient folks, we wouldn't just leave because we transferred our entitlement to healthcare from UK to Canaries so we would need to sort that out. So, if the OPs friends are British OAPs, they should find out how to reverse that process. Personally, I'd close all my bank accounts. The accounts used to be different depending on whether the account holder is resident or not - I don't know if that's still the case.

I agree with Chifleta that the piece of paper which replaced the tarjeta is residencia for life. We were assured of that at the police station when they issued it.

chifleta
04-05-2012, 15:23
Really the old red card with the fingerprint on and your NIE has gone !??

that stopped yonks ago, they replaced it with a credit card size plastificated card with photo on, which was consequently replaced a few years back with a naff A4 sheet of paper which as far as I knew was permanent..... LOL though I do know it has changed again, I just presumed that I don't have to change it again, but i'll soon find out when I go to British Consulate to try get certificate saying i'm single and allowed to get married LOL

cainaries
04-05-2012, 15:28
that stopped yonks ago, they replaced it with a credit card size plastificated card with photo on, which was consequently replaced a few years back with a naff A4 sheet of paper which as far as I knew was permanent..... LOL though I do know it has changed again, I just presumed that I don't have to change it again, but i'll soon find out when I go to British Consulate to try get certificate saying i'm single and allowed to get married LOL

Good luck with that, Chifleta! Yes, I'd heard they were going to replace the permanent piece of paper as well. If it's back to the plasticised credit card size I shall be heading the queue to get it as carting that stupid bit of paper plus a photocopy of my passport everywhere is a pain. So far no-one has asked for the original of my passport but I've no doubt they will one day.

chifleta
04-05-2012, 15:34
Good luck with that, Chifleta! Yes, I'd heard they were going to replace the permanent piece of paper as well. If it's back to the plasticised credit card size I shall be heading the queue to get it as carting that stupid bit of paper plus a photocopy of my passport everywhere is a pain. So far no-one has asked for the original of my passport but I've no doubt they will one day.
Thanks Cainaries, luckily OH is Canarian, and to tell the truth we did get the certificate to get married 20 years ago, just never got round to the dirty deed.... LOL
I read on another thread that it's now the A4 page but with a pop out credit card size piece that you can stick in your purse but are not allowed to plastificate... personally I never take original passport or NIE with me either (unless going to government office etc LOL), and i've never been stopped and asked for it, and i've lived here a longggg time, but I don't drive either.

samnickgodber
05-05-2012, 08:38
Just a quick question whilst the subject of carrying your original passport around with you, i heard that if you hold a Spanish driving license then this is all that is necessary ? has anyone else heard this? x

cainaries
05-05-2012, 09:12
Just a quick question whilst the subject of carrying your original passport around with you, i heard that if you hold a Spanish driving license then this is all that is necessary ? has anyone else heard this? x
OH does fine with his British Driving Licence which has his photo on it so I would think you'd be even better with a Spanish one.

Tenerife Blade
05-05-2012, 09:36

You'll probably find that if you hold a Spanish licence, it will be sufficient. It has your N.I.E / Residencia number on it, as well as your photo. It's all I ever use when paying with a credit card, and I've never had a problem.

samnickgodber
05-05-2012, 10:04
You'll probably find that if you hold a Spanish licence, it will be sufficient. It has your N.I.E / Residencia number on it, as well as your photo. It's all I ever use when paying with a credit card, and I've never had a problem.

I also use my Spanish driving license for paying with a card but i was wondering if the police pulled you over and asked for your passport would the Spanish license be sufficient or could they be really awkward ?

Tenerife Blade
05-05-2012, 10:26
I also use my Spanish driving license for paying with a card but i was wondering if the police pulled you over and asked for your passport would the Spanish license be sufficient or could they be really awkward ?

I've only been pulled over once, and my driving licence was sufficient. I do keep a copy of passport and residencia in the car though, just in case. I suppose it depends on the policeman who pulls you over. If he's having a bad day, he may be a stickler for detail.