PDA

View Full Version : Health What do I do about a skin condition in south Tenerife?

Hardlilworker27
05-05-2012, 09:41
Hello, wondered if anyone can shed any light. Over the last couple of weeks have been becoming very itchy.. wasnt too bad at first and thought it was a few bites as the weathers been getting warmer but its got worse and now my boyf has it. Almost like an impetigo type blistery rash, continous itching, hard to sleep etc, def not bites for sure. Asked about in las americas and apparently somethings been going round but nobody knows what and Ive tried to explain in the pharmacy but they just keep trying to sell me bite cream which doesnt work at all. Any ideas what it could be and what I ask for over the counter? Thanks :)

mike in chayofa
05-05-2012, 09:45
Best bet is to see a doctor.

In the meantime, try anti-histamine.

Aerius is a good, non drowsy one

Jackie
05-05-2012, 09:48
Loads of Chicken Pox about at the moment

chifleta
05-05-2012, 15:40
sounds like a type of prickly heat, my OH has what looks like bites, but they're not particularly itchy, he had it last year too... and with the temperature going up and down like a yo yo i'm not surprised. Antihistimine cream or some such sounds your best bet... or that iodine stuff (Betadina!) the red ointment comes in a yellow bottle...

Hardlilworker27
05-05-2012, 15:41
hey guys thanks. Its unbelievably itchy. A couple of my friends had it or do still have it and are struggling getting rid of it even after the antibiotics. And the doctor told them it was just a "skin condition" going round so I probably got it off them and assumed when it developed it was bites at first as it starts off small. A few people have inboxed me with it this morning and are also puzzled. I thought it was chicken pox recenty but doesnt seem that severe in lumps.. but so so itchy. Then I thought cant be cuz my boyf has had chickenpox already. Then shingles but it isnt that rashy. Its like small blister spots filled with fluid. Try not to scratch them cuz it seems to spread them more but veryyyy hard, just keep going in boiling hot showers, itches it without scarring. Going to see the doc now so will keep u updated but please let me know if anybody knows anything because a few people seem to be getting it and the doctors told my friend its really contagious so Ill be staying inside for a bit! What a nightmare! Ill ask for that Mike cheers.

Added after 2 minutes:

it could be prickley heat, its true so Ill keep that option open but I dont sunbathe that much :( Seems a little TOO consistent to be just prickley heat and for everyone to have it on the same areas.. elbows.. tummy.. alot on the hands between fingers.. back. Hmm.

Suej
05-05-2012, 15:49
hey guys thanks. Its unbelievably itchy. A couple of my friends had it or do still have it and are struggling getting rid of it even after the antibiotics. And the doctor told them it was just a "skin condition" going round so I probably got it off them and assumed when it developed it was bites at first as it starts off small. A few people have inboxed me with it this morning and are also puzzled. I thought it was chicken pox recenty but doesnt seem that severe in lumps.. but so so itchy. Then I thought cant be cuz my boyf has had chickenpox already. Then shingles but it isnt that rashy. Its like small blister spots filled with fluid. Try not to scratch them cuz it seems to spread them more but veryyyy hard, just keep going in boiling hot showers, itches it without scarring. Going to see the doc now so will keep u updated but please let me know if anybody knows anything because a few people seem to be getting it and the doctors told my friend its really contagious so Ill be staying inside for a bit! What a nightmare! Ill ask for that Mike cheers.

Added after 2 minutes:

it could be prickley heat, its true so Ill keep that option open but I dont sunbathe that much :( Seems a little TOO consistent to be just prickley heat and for everyone to have it on the same areas.. elbows.. tummy.. alot on the hands between fingers.. back. Hmm.

Stop using perfumed soap/shower gel too! it might irritate it more!:goodluck:

chifleta
05-05-2012, 16:13
Added after 2 minutes:

to me that does actually sound more like chicken pox.... wierd... well the Betadine may take the itching down, it'll stop it infecting at least.... my OH is Canarian LOL so go figure... mind you, he hasn't been in the sun either... but it may have to do with in air con in airport then out in the heat etc, hot cold hot cold, not good...

Hope it clears up soon... and double hope that it's not catching because I don't want to catch it off other half eeeeek

Hardlilworker27
05-05-2012, 16:21
I hope so either for your sake, I am queen of itch at the moment! Its terrible! I´m going to get the antibiotics, some anti hyst tablets.. and some cream.. and some anti back shower gel, that surely has to do it. I saw my friends arms and legs and he has literally torn them apart so Im worried cuz you do it in the night, even gloves feel good itching lol. Just hoping end of it nothings going to scar too much.. got like love bite looking bruising everywhere. Must stop itching! Will keep you updated. Thanks for all your help and if anybody has anything else to add its appreciated xx

Suzanne
05-05-2012, 16:27
You can also get poudre Cristina from the chemist, it is similar to a calamine lotion but in powder form it should help the itching and dry the spots up. worked great on my little one when he had chicken pox. good luck.

macdonald5
05-05-2012, 16:32
If you can get some Epsom Salts put a few tablespoons in bath with not too hot water and soak in it for a bit
Hope it goes away soon

Sulfato de magnesia is the Spanish if my limited SPanish serves me right!!

Added after 7 minutes:

Another help might be porridge oats ,sounds daft but is a great skin soother
Wrap a couple of handfuls in foot of pop sock or similar and soak over skin
In bath or shower

Hardlilworker27
10-05-2012, 13:11
Hello everyone. Thought Id update you. Ive been to the doctors, and.. to my surprise, it is scabies. Very shocked. Little mite things that burrow into your skin causing the itching. A Few people have messaged me on here with similar symptoms so I wanted to let everyone know there is a bout of it going round. I spoke with my friends in playa las americas yesterday who are itching because they dont want to pay for the treatment yadda yadda yadda.. insisting its stress related or something else but it is scabies so becareful who you touch, its passed by contact and very contagious and difficult to get rid of. My sister in england is a doctor and shes sending me over extra cream too to kill them. You can get it off someone else obviously or animals too. The main symptoms are itching obviously, anywhere but especially on the webs of hands, feet, elbows and wrists in particular, becoming worse at night. I hope this helps anyone who might have been itching and not getting any sense out of their doctor, it took us a while to find out what it was! Hopefully can get better now! :)

Balcony
10-05-2012, 13:20
Something for the future.....use Emu Oil with Lavender. It's great for skin conditions. I don't know if it's available in Tenerife (try a parafarmacia) or you can order from the UK http://www.emu-oil-well.co.uk/?gclid=CKHq4pHa9a8CFUxlfAod6H5kHA
plus use a moisturiser on your skin like E45.

woolli
10-05-2012, 14:45
Hello everyone. Thought Id update you. Ive been to the doctors, and.. to my surprise, it is scabies. Very shocked. Little mite things that burrow into your skin causing the itching. A Few people have messaged me on here with similar symptoms so I wanted to let everyone know there is a bout of it going round. I spoke with my friends in playa las americas yesterday who are itching because they dont want to pay for the treatment yadda yadda yadda.. insisting its stress related or something else but it is scabies so becareful who you touch, its passed by contact and very contagious and difficult to get rid of. My sister in england is a doctor and shes sending me over extra cream too to kill them. You can get it off someone else obviously or animals too. The main symptoms are itching obviously, anywhere but especially on the webs of hands, feet, elbows and wrists in particular, becoming worse at night. I hope this helps anyone who might have been itching and not getting any sense out of their doctor, it took us a while to find out what it was! Hopefully can get better now! :)
Hi Kate, sorry to here about your predicament. Get better soon. Can you give us a bell when you are right, re pringles. Thanks.

chifleta
10-05-2012, 15:09

Hope you're feeling better soon, i'm itching now just thinking about it LOL .... my OH was obviously heat rash of sorts as it's gone now, thank gawd :)