PDA

View Full Version : What kind of fiction do you read?

cainaries
06-05-2012, 19:55
If at all. I love crime novels but a friend has recently got me into espionage type novels (Douglas Boyd) and another friend just introduced me to Alan Furst ... spy novels set just before or during the Second World War. I love finding a new author I like!!

warbey
06-05-2012, 20:18
I used to be an avid reader but not any more.
I read cowboy western stories.All of douglas Reeman (adventure)
all Alistair Maclean
and as a Child read most of the Classics.

Nowadays I enjoy the best fiction Stories in Newspapers
Its hard because You then need to separate truth from fiction to know what to believe.

I wont even mention Politics.....Pfftttttt (with apologies to another Member)

mike in chayofa
06-05-2012, 20:25
The Kay Scarpetta novels by Patricia Cornwell

Tenerife Blade
06-05-2012, 20:31
I read a lot of thriller authors. James Paterson, Michael Connelly, Jeffrey Deaver and Harlan Coban. Just venturing on to a few more I've been told are good, such as David Baldacci, Stephen Leather and Jonathan Kellerman.

karinagal
06-05-2012, 21:12
I read a lot of books when I'm in Tenerife - it's so relaxing sitting on my sun lounger in the shade, looking at the pool and immersing myself in a good book..

I read books by:

James Patterson
Sue Grafton
Lee Childs
Kathy Reichs
Harlan Coben
Tess Gerritsen

as well as the occasional Danielle Steel..... :ashamed:

Karina

The undisputed queen of de-nial

tracy hampshire
06-05-2012, 21:23
love james patterson, harlen cobern & the like, but my favorite, being a yorkshire lass is peter robinson, detective novels all set in the north of england, also just read the twilight novels, although not my usual, really enjoyed them, & even ordered the dvd´s off amazon x

Malteser Monkey
06-05-2012, 21:24
I acn't daer

:crying2:

cainaries
06-05-2012, 21:30
I acn't daer

:crying2:
That doesn't surprise me in the least. Oddly though you can rite!

I read a lot of thriller authors. James Paterson, Michael Connelly, Jeffrey Deaver and Harlan Coban. Just venturing on to a few more I've been told are good, such as David Baldacci, Stephen Leather and Jonathan Kellerman.

I was just going to add that you should add Lee Childs to your list when I saw he was on the list from karinagal. Pretty good, I reckon.

Added after 2 minutes:

I read a lot of books when I'm in Tenerife - it's so relaxing sitting on my sun lounger in the shade, looking at the pool and immersing myself in a good book..

I read books by:

James Patterson
Sue Grafton
Lee Childs
Kathy Reichs
Harlan Coben
Tess Gerritsen

as well as the occasional Danielle Steel..... :ashamed:

Karina

I love Sue Grafton. I'd like to meet her in real life ... ohhh. Sad, isn't it.

christa
06-05-2012, 21:38
Top favorites are James Patterson, Lee Childs, Harlan Coben, karin Slaughter, just getting into Baldacci and Jeffrey Deaver. However since the kindle purchase am reading lots of free *****e I wouldn' t have bought or read otherwise!!!

karinagal
06-05-2012, 21:41
Top favorites are James Patterson, Lee Childs, Harlan Coben, karin Slaughter, just getting into Baldacci and Jeffrey Deaver. However since the kindle purchase am reading lots of free *****e I wouldn' t have bought or read otherwise!!!

Oooh! I forgot Karin Slaughter - I love her books too! For those that have kindles/ereaders, there is a website called epubbud.com where you can download free books (so I've been told..)

cainaries
06-05-2012, 21:42

Aha! We saw some friends a couple of nights ago - the people who recommended Alan Furst. My friend was reading 'Spies in the Balkans' so we came home and I downloaded it. Saw them for coffee the following morning and I told her I was really enjoying the book she'd recommended. Her jaw dropped! Great, innit?

Oooh! I forgot Karin Slaughter - I love her books too! For those that have kindles/ereaders, there is a website called epubbud.com where you can download free books (so I've been told..)

I'd forgotten Karin Slaughter as well. And Ian Rankin?

Santiago
06-05-2012, 22:38
All of the above as well as Clive Cussler and the various people he writes with. I also like a good Danielle Steel and Nora Roberts when I am on the Reef as, like karina, it's nice to lie back on the sunbed and relax with a good story.

DeedeeTipperary
07-05-2012, 13:44
Loving this thread all my favourite authors have been mentioned . I always bring a good few books with me on holiday but this year we are flying with Ryanair so I will limit myself to two:cry: I have not gone down the kindle route yet but I have hinted to my lot that this christmas they might get me one :) Is there a second hand bookshop in Los Cristianos ? We are staying in Victoria Court 2 . Lee Child , Karin Slaughter , James Patterson , Patricia Cornwell are my favourites , I just wish they would write a bit faster :crylaughing:

mike in chayofa
07-05-2012, 13:57
...... Is there a second hand bookshop in Los Cristianos ? We are staying in Victoria Court 2 :

The Lion's charity shop. Upstairs in the Apolo centre. Excellent range

cainaries
07-05-2012, 14:03
Loving this thread all my favourite authors have been mentioned . I always bring a good few books with me on holiday but this year we are flying with Ryanair so I will limit myself to two:cry: I have not gone down the kindle route yet but I have hinted to my lot that this christmas they might get me one :) Is there a second hand bookshop in Los Cristianos ? We are staying in Victoria Court 2 . Lee Child , Karin Slaughter , James Patterson , Patricia Cornwell are my favourites , I just wish they would write a bit faster :crylaughing:

I know just what you mean! I'm getting very worried about Sue Grafton getting to 'Z is for ...' as she has already said that will be the last one. And I can never wait patiently for the next Susan Hill Simon Serraillier series (probably spelt that wrong, too idle to look it up).

Suej
07-05-2012, 15:05

If you ask Norman the President at Vic 2 he used to have a big selection on books in the office! Live Arico shop (opposite Admiral Travel) also have a lot of books very cheap!

Brian
07-05-2012, 16:14
I am an avid reader of crime and thriller novels and have read most of the names already mentioned. If your interests are the same you sholuld try Simon Kernick who writes crime novels mostly based in London.

cainaries
07-05-2012, 21:56
I am an avid reader of crime and thriller novels and have read most of the names already mentioned. If your interests are the same you sholuld try Simon Kernick who writes crime novels mostly based in London.

Thanks, Brian, never heard of him ... off to Google and Amazon right now.

Thanks, downloaded a couple of sample chapters to my Kindle.

And it reminded me that I had forgotten to add Mark Billingham. Already read all of his - another who writes too slowly.

bermy
08-05-2012, 02:40
if you really read them and need wasting a lot of time.i prefer to watch Movie

cainaries
08-05-2012, 11:11
And I forgot to mention Donna Leon. Crime novels, set in Venice.

if you really read them and need wasting a lot of time.i prefer to watch Movie

Have to ask ... it isn't a waste of time to watch a movie but it is a waste of time to read a book? can't see the difference myself.

Margaretta
08-05-2012, 15:50
Love Henning Mankell and am now trained as a brill detective and devious serial killer. Moving on to Steig Larsson and the writer of 'The Bridge'.

cainaries
08-05-2012, 21:24
Love Henning Mankell and am now trained as a brill detective and devious serial killer. Moving on to Steig Larsson and the writer of 'The Bridge'.

And I'm an ace WWII Spy ... a bit late though! Got my trenchcoat and everything. If you're moving on to Steig Larsson you'd better start in a tattoo parlour.