PDA

View Full Version : Overuse of the word amazing

beekay
07-05-2012, 08:19
Am I the only one who is hacked off at the overuse of the word amazing ?

I watched "The Voice" this weekend and counted the word 16 times before I lost interest in counting.

In over half a century on this planet, I have only been amazed a couple of times, so 15 times in one hour seems to be well over the top.

It would appear that talent show presenters, judges and contestents of The Voice and other talent shows are very easily amazed !!

Skeggy
07-05-2012, 08:30

I watched "The Voice" this weekend and counted the word 16 times before I lost interest in counting.

In over half a century on this planet, I have only been amazed a couple of times, so 15 times in one hour seems to be well over the top.

It would appear that talent show presenters, judges and contestents of The Voice and other talent shows are very easily amazed !!

You are certainly not alone...........Grating isn't it....

Ecky Thump
07-05-2012, 08:39

I am amazed at that amazing fact, absolutely amazed and almost surprised that any one could over use the word amazed when ponciefing about second rate acts!:spin:

Is there such a word as poncefieing??:dontknow:

Skeggy
07-05-2012, 08:42
I am amazed at that amazing fact, absolutely amazed and almost surprised that any one could over use the word amazed when ponceifying about second rate acts!:spin:

Whats the matter Eric, are you on an amazing journey?.......

Ecky Thump
07-05-2012, 08:48
Whats the matter Eric, are you on an amazing journey?.......

No, just plain "Gobsmacked" at this amazing thread, but soon I will be off to my amazing allotment, now that place is truly amazing, to see this amazing place click on.... www.organicgrowersfairlie.co.uk

cainaries
07-05-2012, 10:03
A Spanish friend of mine is learning English and his Spanish English teacher told him not to use the word 'amazing' but the word 'Ocean'. That's what he told me and nothing I've told him since will convince him that saying 'Wow, that's Ocean' sounds a bit ... amazing. Or is he right?

Brian
07-05-2012, 10:19

Perhaps 'Amazing' is the new 'Awesome':crazy:

TOTO 99
07-05-2012, 10:20
A Spanish friend of mine is learning English and his Spanish English teacher told him not to use the word 'amazing' but the word 'Ocean'. That's what he told me and nothing I've told him since will convince him that saying 'Wow, that's Ocean' sounds a bit ... amazing. Or is he right?

It's their own fault for taking English lessons off Jaques Cousteau....:laugh:

Medman
07-05-2012, 11:09

I'm pretty sure if you had counted the number of times "proud" was said in The Voice (and on BGT) you definately would have lost count.

Also "this is all I ever wanted to do". Well if it was, why have most of them not done something constructive about it instead of pinning their hopes on half a million to one odds instant stardom? Go and serve your time :mad:

cainaries
07-05-2012, 12:04
It's their own fault for taking English lessons off Jaques Cousteau....:laugh:

I've just realised that perhaps he is trying to say 'Awesome' ... Ocean/awesome ... awesome/ocean ... they sound a bit the same ? He spelt the word as 'ocean' but ....

Amazing the things you learn from this Forum, isn't it?

Ecky Thump
07-05-2012, 12:22
Another word that I think is to often misused is "Hero", it would appear that today we have hero's in abundance, every time a footballer scores a goal, or a so called pop star even visits a old folks home they are hailed as a hero.

I always thought that a real hero was someone who had put their life at risk to help others!!

Medman
07-05-2012, 12:55
Another word that I think is to often misused is "Hero", it would appear that today we have hero's in abundance, every time a footballer scores a goal, or a so called pop star even visits a old folks home they are hailed as a hero.

I always thought that a real hero was someone who had put their life at risk to help others!!

:agree: You are correct Eric; "hero", "superstar" "legend" etc etc All titles that used to be well earned. Now so devalued by all the constant mis-use by uneducated "legends, superstars and heroes" Why can't these judges just tell the truth?

Example " that was not perfect" = "that was utter s***e !!"

If they are good, then tell them that. If they are not then tell them to go and rehearse or get a life. (grumpy old man syndrome creeping in now)

irishmusico
07-05-2012, 13:15

I think its (A word) that you counted them in the first place.;)

bonitatime
07-05-2012, 14:28
I like both A words but I am easily entertained. My other half hates the word awesome and I regularly get that look, not that it makes the blindest bit of difference.

Skeggy
07-05-2012, 15:44
I like both A words but I am easily entertained. My other half hates the word awesome and I regularly get that look, not that it makes the blindest bit of difference.

Astronomical..............

Santiago
07-05-2012, 16:00
Astronomical..............

It's Astonishing how many of you watch those competition programmes on television on a Saturday night. I was Astounded that none of you are out at an Electrifying Disco, or an Overwhelming Theatre, etc., being Flabbergasted by the real talent on show!

Jackalina
07-05-2012, 16:43
When I was a child my father used to tell me off for exaggerating if I said something was a huge big thing! Wonder what he would have to say about all the superlatives used nowadays.