PDA

View Full Version : Police not issuing any new residence certificates for approximately one month

CBS
07-05-2012, 11:59
We need to get an NIE for our son even though he was born here and have the Libro de Famila...... so, off to the police sation in LA "Can I have an NIE application please for my son..... who is 4 years old"..... "Sorry no, we are not issuing any new NIE's on the pieces of green paper... There is a new sytem coming into place. It's going to be about a month....." OK, can you tell me what documantation we will need?" "Sorry. not at the moment NO"...... OK!!!

So, if you are wanting an NIE at the moment forget it, the police can't tell us if those of us who already have the green NIE are going to have to apply for the new style NIE...

Don't you just love TENERIFE "BURRO-AUCRACY....."

Will keep you posted on this one, when we find out more.

Cheers

Megaloo
07-05-2012, 13:04
We need to get an NIE for our son even though he was born here and have the Libro de Famila...... so, off to the police sation in LA "Can I have an NIE application please for my son..... who is 4 years old"..... "Sorry no, we are not issuing any new NIE's on the pieces of green paper... There is a new sytem coming into place. It's going to be about a month....." OK, can you tell me what documantation we will need?" "Sorry. not at the moment NO"...... OK!!!

So, if you are wanting an NIE at the moment forget it, the police can't tell us if those of us who already have the green NIE are going to have to apply for the new style NIE...

Don't you just love TENERIFE "BURRO-AUCRACY....."

Will keep you posted on this one, when we find out more.

Cheers

Sorry I am not trying to be funny here, but my NIE is on a white piece of paper it is my Residencia that is on the green,replace little plastic card so are they going to issue new Residencia or NIE

CBS
07-05-2012, 13:14
OK, the green piece of paper replace the white piece of paper..... Residencia (the little plastic photo cards) are now invalid!! This happened over a year ago!! To be honest we really don't know, and the police officer we saw this morning didn't really know either!! We have some Canarian friends who have conections with the police here, and will let us know what's going on with all this. As soon as we know, we'll let the forum know

casabonny
07-05-2012, 14:51
It seems that the legislation changes on 25th march , and now applications are like they used to be ie having to prove income,health cover etc. APparently this has come into force but those that are working the system have not been given "instructions yet"!
So looks like a waiting game for the time being.

9PLUS
07-05-2012, 15:09
Sounds like a black market reduction to me so far.

chifleta
07-05-2012, 16:38
i'll be waiting with baited breath :denied::faint: eeeeeeek

mind you, i've got my permanent residencia (until they decide we have to change that too)

cainaries
07-05-2012, 21:53

mind you, i've got my permanent residencia (until they decide we have to change that too)

OH and I were wondering the self-same thing, chifleta. What does 'permanent' mean in this context? Sigh.

chifleta
07-05-2012, 22:00
OH and I were wondering the self-same thing, chifleta. What does 'permanent' mean in this context? Sigh.

I've got fingers and toes crossed as i'm claiming Ayuda :( ..... what if they stop that and then what if they decide we have to renew our residencia and won't renew my Ayuda and i'm without work eeeeeeeeek what if what if what if .... oh well, not worth stressing until we know more I suppose, thank goodness my year of doing Tai Chi taught me to chill out ... sort of :crazy:

cainaries
07-05-2012, 22:08
I've got fingers and toes crossed as i'm claiming Ayuda :( ..... what if they stop that and then what if they decide we have to renew our residencia and won't renew my Ayuda and i'm without work eeeeeeeeek what if what if what if .... oh well, not worth stressing until we know more I suppose, thank goodness my year of doing Tai Chi taught me to chill out ... sort of :crazy:

A friend here on La Palma and I email daily on a oh, god, what if basis .... I could add you in! Fingers and paws crossed as you say. Tai Chi gave me back-ache - I may be unique with this problem. Just keep calm and keep breathing.

TenerifePool
07-05-2012, 22:17
The new requirements were published a few weeks ago, what is not certain yet is what documents need to be presented, there is currently the "chicken and egg" problem with the Resedencia and the S1.

http://www.interior.gob.es/extranjeria-28/ciudadanos-de-la-union-europea-718/estancia-y-residencia-722#Residencia%20superior%20a%20tres%20meses

chifleta
07-05-2012, 22:18
A friend here on La Palma and I email daily on a oh, god, what if basis .... I could add you in! Fingers and paws crossed as you say. Tai Chi gave me back-ache - I may be unique with this problem. Just keep calm and keep breathing.

Oh nooo, I prefer to avoid thinking about it too much, no good dwelling on what may or may not happen.... I reckon I could be a lucky one as my son is a student and Spanish ... phew .... well, i'm still keeping fingers crossed ....

I can't believe Tai Chi gave you backache, you definately must be unique... I use the tai chi posture in queues, it eases my back LOL looks a bit daft, but i've got to that age where I don't care :spin:

Added after 6 minutes:

The new requirements were published a few weeks ago, what is not certain yet is what documents need to be presented, there is currently the "chicken and egg" problem with the Resedencia and the S1.

http://www.interior.gob.es/extranjeria-28/ciudadanos-de-la-union-europea-718/estancia-y-residencia-722#Residencia%20superior%20a%20tres%20meses

thanks for the link.... i'm just reading this following link now, as it probably refers to me, i've been here 20 years and have a permanent green A4 sheet, so hopefully one of the conditions is good enough for me :)

http://www.interior.gob.es/extranjeria-28/ciudadanos-de-la-union-europea-718/residencia-de-caracter-permanente-725

fonica
08-05-2012, 12:57

They have already decided that the green permanent residencia has to be renewed every 5 years.The same police man who told me it was "for ever" now tells me that "now it's only valid for 5 years".

mariben
08-05-2012, 13:30
They have already decided that the green permanent residencia has to be renewed every 5 years.The same police man who told me it was "for ever" now tells me that "now it's only valid for 5 years".When we got our residencia we were told it was for ever, when did they change it to valid for only 5 years.

Muppet
08-05-2012, 13:49
When we got our residencia we were told it was for ever, when did they change it to valid for only 5 years.

At a guess about 10 minutes ago, although more likely 5 years and 10 minutes ago - another change to be expected sometime next Friday afternoon !!

Indigo
08-05-2012, 13:51
My dad went to change their address on their residentias the other day as they have moved house and were told that there is no point doing it yet as the green paper residentia is being scrapped and the plastic card with your photo on it is coming back. He was told you will have to be on a working contract to be able to get one or be paying for private health insurance.

cainaries
08-05-2012, 13:52
We have an acquaintance who has an American passport. I followed Tenerifepool's link (thank you very much) but could only find reference to EU citizens. Anyone know how to find out what procedures he needs to go through. He could, of course, go to the police and ask ... but if anyone knows that would save him one visit, thanks.

My dad went to change their address on their residentias the other day as they have moved house and were told that there is no point doing it yet as the green paper residentia is being scrapped and the plastic card with your photo on it is coming back. He was told you will have to be on a working contract to be able to get one or be paying for private health insurance.

Or hopefully, a pensioner?

(Should this thread be made a sticky as it seems quite important to me!)

CIM
08-05-2012, 14:02

I certainly hope thats true! No more of this stupid rule of having to carry your passport around with you at all times...
Any idea on timeframe for this?

golf birdie
08-05-2012, 14:05
I certainly hope thats true! No more of this stupid rule of having to carry your passport around with you at all times...

once they can move the 17 apartment inspectors back to office duties:laugh:

Indigo
08-05-2012, 14:07

They just said within the next month or so. Who knows though over here!

9PLUS
08-05-2012, 14:37

Add self employed to that list

casabonny
08-05-2012, 14:49
How wonderful if the cards come back.The person who thought of the green paper was an idiot IMHO.If you have got nothing to hide and are legally here why not have a photo ID card?Ill be first in the queue closly followed by a lot of members on here me thinksLOL, especially the self employed .

mariben
08-05-2012, 14:52
At a guess about 10 minutes ago, although more likely 5 years and 10 minutes ago - another change to be expected sometime next Friday afternoon !! I suppose its not unexpected this is Tenerife and they always change things, would be good if the told everyone, thankfully we have The Forum to keep us informed.

Added after 2 minutes:

How wonderful if the cards come back.The person who thought of the green paper was an idiot IMHO.If you have got nothing to hide and are legally here why not have a photo ID card?Ill be first in the queue closly followed by a lot of members on here me thinksLOL, especially the self employed .I think the photo ID card is a much better idea than the green paper, much more pratical.

chifleta
08-05-2012, 16:55
They have already decided that the green permanent residencia has to be renewed every 5 years.The same police man who told me it was "for ever" now tells me that "now it's only valid for 5 years".

oh good, i've got 2 years left on it then, the rules will have changed about 20 times before I have to renew it then.... thanks :)

cainaries
08-05-2012, 21:21
How wonderful if the cards come back.The person who thought of the green paper was an idiot IMHO.If you have got nothing to hide and are legally here why not have a photo ID card?Ill be first in the queue closly followed by a lot of members on here me thinksLOL, especially the self employed .

As far as the authorities are concerned I think this is going to be a 'Careful What You Wish For' situation as everyone with that stupid A4 Green Form will be back in their office the second they tell us we can get the old photo card ones back. Or almost everyone!

bonitatime
09-05-2012, 09:39
The green papers are the fault of British people on the Alicante coast who took their case to the European courts do not to have an ID card
And every other European national has had problems since

Muppet
09-05-2012, 09:50
The green papers are the fault of British people on the Alicante coast who took their case to the European courts do not to have an ID card
And every other European national has had problems since

Not sure I follow......

As a "Brit" I would have no issue with an identity card, having to carry round a passport, plus several other important bits of paper just to go to the shops or wherever is a crazy situation. Of course the UK have scrapped plans to introduce ID cards because of the cost which is, at this point in time, a sensible move.

What is odd though is that you can voluntarily apply for and obtain (at your own expense) a UK ID card - fair enough - however, the one group of people who are not eligable are those of us who live abroad !!!

Fred Perry
09-05-2012, 09:58
Well, I took someone to the police station a couple of weeks ago to help him with a new residencia and he was given a green card. No photo on it and it was a flimsy type card, slightly smaller than a driving permit.

golf birdie
09-05-2012, 11:09
why they just could not of offered the card system to those who wanted it is baffling. I have yet to meet one person who is happy with the A4 sheet. i'd go as far as to say most would gladly pay more for the card with their photo on it.

universal
09-05-2012, 18:37
It may have something to do with the large numbers of South Americans who are not having their residencias automatically renewed.
By changing the goal posts the Spanish authorities can rid themselves of thousands of hitherto favored immigrants; due to not having to wait until the valid residencia expires.
Previously all South American nationals were given special status (especially those from the Argentine).
It will be interesting to see how the E.U. nationals fare in this ongoing bureaucratic shake-up.

Goldenmaniac
10-05-2012, 15:00
Update 10 MAY 2012

Went to the Extranjería this morning and obtained brand new NIE numbers for Non residents in order to buy a property - the layout has lost "the expires in 3 months wording" and has been replaced with "the present document is issued for the purpose of economic use"

Still no news on residencias officers know no more than we do, waiting for an edict from Madrid.

Goldenmaniac
14-06-2012, 19:07
Note to any Admins - this thread really ought to be renamed if poss because its causing confusion. What the Police are not issuing is Residence Certificate cards for Europeans something which must be obtained if staying or intending to stay 90 days or more in Spanish territory.

Update 14 June 2012

The Comisaria in Las Americas can and is issuing new NIEs I was there this am and got 2 brand new numbers for NON RESIDENTS printed on white A4 paper (for those that don't know) - these are valid for purchase of property/car etc AND (together with an in date passport) are valid for setting yourself up as self employed or getting a work contract - although granted you will have to apply for the green residencia when the service resumes at the police station.

I spoke to one of the officers this am and there is still no date for the service to resume - he has applications backed up from May - and is as pee-ed off as the rest of us with the Madrileño bureaucrats!

The cessation of service was occasioned by the new regulations issued by National government see here http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#FreezeResidencia.

Unofficially the officer was of the same opinion as me - employees and self employed should be able to process their applications locally providing proof of their employment status and affiliation to the Spanish social security in addition to the existing requirements. It will be the retired, early retired or persons living on own means who will be most likely to be required to go to Santa Cruz for individual assessment. but I repeat - these were comments in a chat and by no means an indication of any official line.

As soon as we hear any more I will post here

slodgedad
14-06-2012, 20:52
]Note to any Admins - this thread really ought to be renamed if poss because its causing confusion. What the Police are not issuing is Residence Certificate cards for Europeans something which must be obtained if staying or intending to stay 90 days or more in Spanish territory.[/B]

Update 14 June 2012

The Comisaria in Las Americas can and is issuing new NIEs I was there this am and got 2 brand new numbers for NON RESIDENTS printed on white A4 paper (for those that don't know) - these are valid for purchase of property/car etc AND (together with an in date passport) are valid for setting yourself up as self employed or getting a work contract - although granted you will have to apply for the green residencia when the service resumes at the police station.

I spoke to one of the officers this am and there is still no date for the service to resume - he has applications backed up from May - and is as pee-ed off as the rest of us with the Madrileño bureaucrats!

The cessation of service was occasioned by the new regulations issued by National government see here http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#FreezeResidencia.

Unofficially the officer was of the same opinion as me - employees and self employed should be able to process their applications locally providing proof of their employment status and affiliation to the Spanish social security in addition to the existing requirements. It will be the retired, early retired or persons living on own means who will be most likely to be required to go to Santa Cruz for individual assessment. but I repeat - these were comments in a chat and by no means an indication of any official line.

As soon as we hear any more I will post here

Thanks, GM. I have amended the thread title.