PDA

View Full Version : Why are English newspapers so expensive?

candy2411
13-06-2011, 13:45
as much as I enjoy my Mail on Sunday I´m sorry but I find it hard to pay 3.30 euros... it says printed in Spain so not a huge distance to travel, so why so expensive?

I´m no skinflint but I won´t pay that much, and why would I,not when I can read it for free online??? ???

Jackie
13-06-2011, 13:53
Because there are no where near as many printed in Spain as there are in the UK therefore putting the price up.

candy2411
13-06-2011, 13:58
maybe if they were cheaper they would be able to sell more do you think

Jackie
13-06-2011, 14:02
maybe if they were cheaper they would be able to sell more do you think

Maybe, but there probably isn't the demand for them to print more so obviously the less they print then the more expensive each one will be. They could probably print more and put the price down but would they sell them all???

9PLUS
13-06-2011, 14:12
Study economics and all will be clear and you will be better informed

cheers

x

williethetim
13-06-2011, 14:36
Because there are no where near as many printed in Spain as there are in the UK therefore putting the price up.

But all the papers have about half the pages

onelegnofeet
13-06-2011, 14:56
Well imo the poor Paper Boy has so far to pedal ..........he deserves extra pay !!!

Jackie
13-06-2011, 14:59
But all the papers have about half the pages

I wouldn't know, I haven't read an English newspaper for 4 years.

tonypub
13-06-2011, 16:04
the prices where set when we swapped to the euro when it was 1-60e to the pound

Jimandsi
13-06-2011, 16:21
When in Tenerife why not read the local / Spanish newspapers ?

howard thornton
13-06-2011, 16:28
When in Tenerife why not read the local / Spanish newspapers ?

do they have a page three girl? lol

Jimandsi
13-06-2011, 16:31
do they have a page three girl? lol

Yes, exactly ! :lol:

AlanInYorkshire
13-06-2011, 16:49
There are many reasons for this:

- The papers are not miraculously spirited here. They are printed by local printers after they have finished the local print runs.

- The local printers pay the UK newspapers for the priviledge (typically 10% of the UK paper selling price.

- The local printers also have to drum up advertising for the paper (that's why is not as voluminous as the UK edition.

- The local printers also have to reimburse newsagents for unsold papers on return.

Therefore local printers price the paper at a level which makes it worth the bother of bothering printing them!

I subscribe to The Times Online which costs me £8 a month and gives me access to all editions including papers, magazines, etc. From 5am every day. Everywhere in the world.

As 9Plus says it's simple economics (although as an Economics graduate, I think they make it up as they go along).

howard thornton
13-06-2011, 17:14
There are many reasons for this:

- The papers are not miraculously spirited here. They are printed by local printers after they have finished the local print runs.

- The local printers pay the UK newspapers for the priviledge (typically 10% of the UK paper selling price

- The local printers also have to drum up advertising for the paper (that's why is not as voluminous as the UK edition.

- The local printers also have to reimburse newsagents for unsold papers on return.

Therefore local printers price the paper at a level which makes it worth the bother of bothering printing them!

I subscribe to The Times Online which costs me £8 a month and gives me access to all editions including papers, magazines, etc. From 5am every day. Everywhere in the world.

As 9Plus says it's simple economics (although as an Economics graduate, I think they make it up as they go along).

plenty of free papers knocking about there,got whats on telly in them, what more do you need to know? lol.

Jimandsi
13-06-2011, 17:28
plenty of free papers knocking about there,got whats on telly in them, what more do you need to know? lol.

Knowing the Mail, I would imagine the celebrity gossip !

howard thornton
13-06-2011, 17:35
Knowing the Mail, I would imagine the celebrity gossip !

exactly.......

Vortex Wake
13-06-2011, 17:40
Reminds me of a guy in Tesco last week, looking at printer cartridges saying to his wife 'why can't they make them all the same?'

Andy0210
13-06-2011, 20:39

That can´t be true, the Canarian Weekly and Tenerife Weekly are printed at the same printers as all the main UK Dailies, TF Print in Santa Cruz and they cover the cost of printing our free "local" papers by selling adverts to small businesses in Tenerife.

Jimandsi
13-06-2011, 20:43
So how many small businesses in Tenerife advertise in the Sunday Mail then ?

with cheese
13-06-2011, 21:22
That can´t be true, the Canarian Weekly and Tenerife Weekly are printed at the same printers as all the main UK Dailies, TF Print in Santa Cruz and they cover the cost of printing our free "local" papers by selling adverts to small businesses in Tenerife.
Why shouldn't they charge a good price then if they are supplying two freebies for locals.
Great idea, put up the price of road tax to locals and make car hire cheaper for visitors.