PDA

View Full Version : Utilities Bills/cost of living on the island/s

Tenerifebot
10-05-2012, 02:27
Hi everyone
I am back... I was on the old forum in 2008 I think-the new forum looks good- OK to business-Can anyone help. I want to see what basic costs people have to pay to give me idea. If you supply this then I will post my costs here in the UK- to compare if thats OK-
1. gas
2. Electricity
3. Council tax or rates
4. house insurance
5. water costs
6. food
7. car tax/disc
8. internet broadband + phone
9. car insurance
10.petrol

I think thats all I can think of-is there anything to add?
For food I will post my shopping bill so we can compare each item-Now I know people use different amounts of gas, electricity and water-so I will have to find what we use as a family of 4 and compare that-I will have to look that up-I think we are got a fix till September but I can still found out use this week-meanwhile we can have fun!!

Thanks for any help here and I will tell u are plans as things go on......
ps there are a number of islands so an example of each or there may be no difference?

bonitatime
10-05-2012, 11:20
1. gas its about 12 euros for a silver bottle which lasts us a couple of months for hot water
2. Electricity about 50€ a month family of 4 adults
3. Council tax or rates I think we paid 400€ last year
4. house insurance about 350€
5. water costs between 30 & 50 every two months
6. food no idea as not my area of responsibility
7. car tax/disc
8. internet broadband + phone we have cable too and it's about 70€
9. car insurance under 400 fully comp
10.petrol this is just over a euro a litre

golf birdie
10-05-2012, 11:58
4. house insurance about 350€

www.soydeltete.es

you must have a huge house.

obs
10-05-2012, 13:25
Car tax €44.98 (paid yesterday)

Tenerifebot
10-05-2012, 15:27
This is great everyone. I am so grateful for your help-We are struggling badly in the UK and we need some hope-As for food people can post their weekly shopping bill-I suppose there is no ALDI! What I will do is to itemize my bill put the the separate items and then we can see the difference ie milk. bread, butter etc (we mainly shop at Aldi as Tesco is too expensive now)and then I will post a comparison-This will include Australia where we have also lived- -When this is complete I will write an introduction and tell u who we are and what we are going to do etc-thanks for your help so far as I watch the dreary grey sky with the rain that WONT stop here in Beds at the moment-I mean I love England but boy its hard to live here-we need an alternative and that is my job at the moment-known as the Grand Plan........!
cheers#gaz
ps Nice website, this new one-I was on the old site before..

Simon-M
10-05-2012, 15:42
There is a Lidl......

Tenerifebot
10-05-2012, 16:04
There is a Lidl......
Really? Amazing-I think there Lidl in Bletchley-Is it like Aldi? I have only been in a Lidl once-does anyone do there shopping in Lidl (Canaries that is!)

Muppet
10-05-2012, 17:00
You do have to be quite careful when examining the answers to your post though.

There are some significant differences to living costs UK vs Tenerife - rates, petrol, car tax generally cheaper than UK - Electricity pretty much on a par these days, gas 14 Euro for a bottle, but not many places use it for water heating (although much cheaper than electric). Weekly shopping costs will depend entirely on how you live and Telecoms costs here vs UK are nothing short of extortionate. If you are a smoker or drinker then these are much cheaper here of course. As before, depends on how you want to live and what you consider to essential.

So depending on how you chose to live, the sums will probably balance out to show a slightly cheaper cost of living here than the UK - particularly when you bring in heating costs vs cooling costs and so on.

The big difference of course is prospects for children (virtually none), prospects for permanant (or secure) employment (virtually none) and so on. Minimum wage in UK is just over £6 an hour (40x6) = £240/week (240x48) = 11,520/year - here it is 641 euro a month (641x11) = 7,051/year, and that is assuming full time legal employment can be found which, with a nigh on 33% unemplyment rate (UK 8.3%) and the need for fluency in Spanish to stand any chance at all is a very different reality.

The sun shines most days though!

bonitatime
10-05-2012, 17:02
you must have a huge house.

This has given me food for thought we have this tied to the bank and our mortgage

mike in chayofa
10-05-2012, 17:48
.....4. house insurance about 350€

It got me thinking too!

I never even thought about it. It is just paid by direct debit.

Mine was .... wait for it ....

598.87€

mike in chayofa
10-05-2012, 19:03
....sorry what is this for???? its not such a stupid question cos i aint got any on my house

House and contents insurance

Tdm
10-05-2012, 19:16
House and contents insurance

If your paying nearlly €600 you must own the most expensive property in Chayofa, and it's full of Picasso's, Rembrants, and Gold Bars!!!? ???

Tenerifebot
10-05-2012, 21:39
You do have to be quite careful when examining the answers to your post though.

There are some significant differences to living costs UK vs Tenerife - rates, petrol, car tax generally cheaper than UK - Electricity pretty much on a par these days, gas 14 Euro for a bottle, but not many places use it for water heating (although much cheaper than electric). Weekly shopping costs will depend entirely on how you live and Telecoms costs here vs UK are nothing short of extortionate. If you are a smoker or drinker then these are much cheaper here of course. As before, depends on how you want to live and what you consider to essential.

So depending on how you chose to live, the sums will probably balance out to show a slightly cheaper cost of living here than the UK - particularly when you bring in heating costs vs cooling costs and so on.

The big difference of course is prospects for children (virtually none), prospects for permanant (or secure) employment (virtually none) and so on. Minimum wage in UK is just over £6 an hour (40x6) = £240/week (240x48) = 11,520/year - here it is 641 euro a month (641x11) = 7,051/year, and that is assuming full time legal employment can be found which, with a nigh on 33% unemplyment rate (UK 8.3%) and the need for fluency in Spanish to stand any chance at all is a very different reality.

The sun shines most days though!

Good post-We would not be looking to come at this stage; looking at semi-retirement/retirement-we would have to be VERY organised ie solar panels for electricity and solar hot water-as u said u do have the sunshine therefore that should work? -also worried about water but we have lived most of our lives in australia so we are used to water restrictions-we would need :
A water source (river/dam) or to have a tank to store water- australia has been in drought for years only just coming out of it since we left in 2010.
Believe me so far Tenerife is cheaper than UK and australia but it will still need MUCH more research-and food is the big killer in australia- as I said I will have to itemize each food product then we could compare-As I said Tesco has gone up significantly-what is telecoms?
UK far better for the children prospects-but our children are older 20 & 16.
I am a bit worried about an area that has such high unemployment-33% is shocking-do u think there will be/is social implications of this?
Good about the weather-I hope people dont mind me asking questions-there will be more to do with property etc , after I do the cost of living survey!!
cheers gaz

Muppet
10-05-2012, 22:03
Good post-We would not be looking to come at this stage; looking at semi-retirement/retirement-we would have to be VERY organised ie solar panels for electricity and solar hot water-as u said u do have the sunshine therefore that should work? -also worried about water but we have lived most of our lives in australia so we are used to water restrictions-we would need :
A water source (river/dam) or to have a tank to store water- australia has been in drought for years only just coming out of it since we left in 2010.
Believe me so far Tenerife is cheaper than UK and australia but it will still need MUCH more research-and food is the big killer in australia- as I said I will have to itemize each food product then we could compare-As I said Tesco has gone up significantly-what is telecoms?
UK far better for the children prospects-but our children are older 20 & 16.
I am a bit worried about an area that has such high unemployment-33% is shocking-do u think there will be/is social implications of this?
Good about the weather-I hope people dont mind me asking questions-there will be more to do with property etc , after I do the cost of living survey!!
cheers gaz

There is solar hot water on some housing, but it only became a building reg recently - to install from new is pricey - not a lot of self generation going on that I know of, but 9+ will know more

Water supplies OK (doesnt taste nice unless you live up the hills), coast area a lot is desalinated - its a relatively cheap commodity

Telecoms - phones/adsl - still pretty much a monopoly despite it being illegal ! Budget min 50 a month for line and ADSL (after initial discounts!!)

Sadly implications of the unemployment rate really starting to show - dole money runs out here after a year, sometimes less, then nothing - Nada. Crime rate now rising quickly - burglaries especially

Added after 7 minutes:

and before HE asks - source http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.diariodeavisos.com/&ei=0i2sT5C7K4GViQKJ_PGlAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CGcQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddiario%2Bde%2Bavisos%26hl%3Den%26biw% 3D1024%26bih%3D566%26prmd%3Dimvns

Tenerifebot
10-05-2012, 22:21
solar panels for electricity and solar hot water-as u said u do have the sunshine therefore that should work? YES FOR HOT WATER
worried about water but we have lived most of our lives in australia so we are used to water restrictions
A water source (river/dam) or to have a tank to store water
NO REPEAT NO RIVERS OR STREAMS IN TENERIFE (only if raining) BUT 2000 years worth of water in ground..
I am a bit worried about an area that has such high unemployment-33% is shocking-do u think there will be/is social implications of this? NO I LIVE IN SPANISH VILLAGE WITH NO ONE WORKING still leave me back door open - lol well not even a lock on it

OK -so no rivers-when u say 2000 years of water do u mean we need a bore to get water???
Its good you are safe- thats really important-good to hear that-when I eventually explain when we went to Russell island queensland I will tell u what we did wrong-this must NOT happen again-more about that later....
Nice to speak to you...
gaz

Muppet
10-05-2012, 23:01
OK -so no rivers-when u say 2000 years of water do u mean we need a bore to get water???
Its good you are safe- thats really important-good to hear that-when I eventually explain when we went to Russell island queensland I will tell u what we did wrong-this must NOT happen again-more about that later....
Nice to speak to you...
gaz

Strangely enough we use pipes here for water!!

lapalma
10-05-2012, 23:29
Tenerifebot,did you mean water boreholes ? as in drilling for a source of water by means of a land drill that bores thru the earth until it reaches a sorce of water.I have drlled many in Scotland and have always struck water.BUT,in looking at all your posts you sound like a TV reporter looking for a story,amI right ?

Muppet
10-05-2012, 23:35
not sure drilling holes in a volcano is wise??!!

Tenerifebot
11-05-2012, 14:31
Tenerifebot,did you mean water boreholes ? as in drilling for a source of water by means of a land drill that bores thru the earth until it reaches a sorce of water.I have drlled many in Scotland and have always struck water.BUT,in looking at all your posts you sound like a TV reporter looking for a story,amI right ?

A TV reporter?? Oh no,,no just a father looking at alternatives thats all-We are struggling in England at the moment so we need to feel there is some sort of hope-we just want to "live" not to worry ALL the time-we need to find out if the Canaries is a place we could live one day- Thats why all the questions-I mean we could simply go back to australia but we dont want to?
Is the Canaries a viable place to live?? thats my task-yes it does look like reporting but I cant simple come over-I am very though but we slipped up when we went back to australia in 2007 and it was awful-bought land that was no good and DIDNT research it enough-So u see I am aliitle more cautious now..
As for the bore-yes i think it is drilling down to the water source-probably expensive-I really dont know if that what u do?
gaz

Added after 2 minutes:

Strangely enough we use pipes here for water!!

And u pay for that right?

lapalma
11-05-2012, 14:39
A TV reporter?? Oh no,,no just a father looking at alternatives thats all-We are struggling in England at the moment so we need to feel there is some sort of hope-we just want to "live" not to worry ALL the time-we need to find out if the Canaries is a place we could live one day- Thats why all the questions-I mean we could simply go back to australia but we dont want to?
Is the Canaries a viable place to live?? thats my task-yes it does look like reporting but I cant simple come over-I am very though but we slipped up when we went back to australia in 2007 and it was awful-bought land that was no good and DIDNT research it enough-So u see I am aliitle more cautious now..
As for the bore-yes i think it is drilling down to the water source-probably expensive-I really dont know if that what u do?
gaz

Many thank's for your reply. In reply to your question regarding Tenerife being a viable place to live,I cannot realy answer that,but from all the visits that I have made to Tenerife south on holiday,I have had a great time,I could not fault the Island.I have met many people from all walks of life in Tenerife and all have made me welcome.Tenerife has a good climate most of the year.All the best with your research and I hope you do make it to Tenerife.

Tenerifebot
11-05-2012, 14:40
I think we have gone off topic a bit- Can any one else post their expenses as requested? If i could get an overview it would really help! If you dont mind of course! I am going to post my expenses soon....

tonypub
11-05-2012, 14:55
fosters 2euro a pint@link below

Tenerifebot
11-05-2012, 15:42
Many thank's for your reply. In reply to your question regarding Tenerife being a viable place to live,I cannot realy answer that,but from all the visits that I have made to Tenerife south on holiday,I have had a great time,I could not fault the Island.I have met many people from all walks of life in Tenerife and all have made me welcome.Tenerife has a good climate most of the year.All the best with your research and I hope you do make it to Tenerife.

Looks good-we would have to visit a number of times-Do u know there are many/any artists on the island?-as this my field......
gaz

Muppet
11-05-2012, 15:53
And u pay for that right?

You need to be more specific about your needs, but, unless you are in the absolute back of beyond pretty much everywhere is plumbed in to mains electric, water and sewage (although there are some sceptic tanks in places).

As earlier, if you are near the coast then pretty much everything is laid on, up in the hills can be a bit hit and miss. Living costs will depend whether you are on the coast or in the hills - on the coast you may need to budget for summer air-con, in the hills budget for both summer air-con (it can get up to 40 degrees during Calima's) and winter heating - can get down to 9 or 10.

Tenerifebot
11-05-2012, 16:39
You need to be more specific about your needs, but, unless you are in the absolute back of beyond pretty much everywhere is plumbed in to mains electric, water and sewage (although there are some sceptic tanks in places).

As earlier, if you are near the coast then pretty much everything is laid on, up in the hills can be a bit hit and miss. Living costs will depend whether you are on the coast or in the hills - on the coast you may need to budget for summer air-con, in the hills budget for both summer air-con (it can get up to 40 degrees during Calima's) and winter heating - can get down to 9 or 10.
I am sorry I have so little knowledge of the islands-(thats why I need to do more research)I have been watching the weather throughout the winter-it said about 19C so where would that have been? gaz

Pooh
11-05-2012, 17:01
I am sorry I have so little knowledge of the islands-(thats why I need to do more research)I have been watching the weather throughout the winter-it said about 19C so where would that have been? gaz

The weather you've looked at is probably measured at the South airport, or something.
Temp drops about 1 degree per 100-150 m altitude. If you're 1000 meters up in the hills, it's almost 10 degrees colder.
(Why do you think there is snow on Teide in the winters?)

Tenerifebot
11-05-2012, 17:14
The weather you've looked at is probably measured at the South airport, or something.
Temp drops about 1 degree per 100-150 m altitude. If you're 1000 meters up in the hills, it's almost 10 degrees colder.
(Why do you think there is snow on Teide in the winters?)

That sounds logical-How high is the mountains-estimate1000-1500m?? I used to live in California and in the mountains it does get down at bit-is the south coast OK-I suppose property is expensive there??

Pooh
11-05-2012, 17:17
That sounds logical-How high is the mountains-estimate1000-1500m?? I used to live in California and in the mountains it does get down at bit-is the south coast OK-I suppose property is expensive there??

Teide is the highest mountain in Spain, about 3700 m.
But basically the highest you can find to live is Vilaflor, at about 1450 m. They got some snow last winter. (Not this one.)

But when it comes to climate - Tenerife has about as many climates as it has villages...

golf birdie
11-05-2012, 18:01
This has given me food for thought we have this tied to the bank and our mortgage

seems very, very high. As far as I know as long as the bank is named as a beneficiary on the policy and the insurance is higher than the loan you can take the insurance to any company. I would shop around but rememeber you must give two months notice to cancel your current policy.

bonitatime
11-05-2012, 21:09
Thanks I have paid this years but will try to remember in November to shop around

DonnaFranka
11-05-2012, 21:55
Really? Amazing-I think there Lidl in Bletchley-Is it like Aldi? I have only been in a Lidl once-does anyone do there shopping in Lidl (Canaries that is!)

Yes I shop there every week, but don`t get your hopes up. Its not as cheap as LIDL in UK. The majority of the items are only a few centimos less than Mercadona, and you cannot do a full weekly shop there as they do not have all the items you need. I think that when they opened Lidl here, they did great marketing research and found out the cheapest price of any given item on the island. They then priced their equivalent at a few centimos less. I don`t understand why the same items on sale in Uk Lidl or Italian Lidl cost so much less than here. I do not find their weekly food offers particularly cheap and when shopping there I usually buy the same things. Also I have noticed that the offers in the last months have not been as good as the first year that it opened. I rarely touch the fruit and veg there as it is very expensive. Better to buy at the weekend markets or even at Hiper Trebol.

By the way no-one has yet mentioned to you that we have 3 fabulous Iceland stores here for all your English goodies, and the prices are realistic.

Looking forward to seeing your list for comparison. :wave:

Tenerifebot
11-05-2012, 21:58
Hi everyone
I am back... I was on the old forum in 2008 I think-the new forum looks good- OK to business-Can anyone help. I want to see what basic costs people have to pay to give me idea. If you supply this then I will post my costs here in the UK- to compare if thats OK-
1. gas
2. Electricity
3. Council tax or rates
4. house insurance
5. water costs
6. food
7. car tax/disc
9. car insurance
10.petrol

For food I will post my shopping bill so we can compare each item-Now I know people use different amounts of gas, electricity and water-so I will have to find what we use as a family of 4 and compare that-I will have to look that up-I think we are got a fix till September but I can still found out use this week-meanwhile we can have fun!!

ps there are a number of islands so an example of each or there may be no difference?
We have done the shopping today so I will post up the receipt soon-I will scan it and upload-this weekend.. then we can compare-sort of fun in a strange way...:spin:

Pooh
11-05-2012, 22:17
At least in my experience, food is quite a bit cheaper here on the northern side of the island. We do most our shopping in AlCampo, and from what I've seen, prices are in the region of 10% lower than down south. (Correct me is I'm wrong.)

Climate is much better here too. :)

Tenerifebot
11-05-2012, 23:49

Yes I shop there every week, but don`t get your hopes up. Its not as cheap as LIDL in UK. The majority of the items are only a few centimos less than Mercadona, and you cannot do a full weekly shop there as they do not have all the items you need. I think that when they opened Lidl here, they did great marketing research and found out the cheapest price of any given item on the island. They then priced their equivalent at a few centimos less. I don`t understand why the same items on sale in Uk Lidl or Italian Lidl cost so much less than here. I do not find their weekly food offers particularly cheap and when shopping there I usually buy the same things. Also I have noticed that the offers in the last months have not been as good as the first year that it opened. I rarely touch the fruit and veg there as it is very expensive. Better to buy at the weekend markets or even at Hiper Trebol.

By the way no-one has yet mentioned to you that we have 3 fabulous Iceland stores here for all your English goodies, and the prices are realistic.

Looking forward to seeing your list for comparison. :wave:
Iceland really? Amazing I shop in Iceland at Leighton Buzzard-its quite good-I did shop there a few weeks back and I might be able to find the receit but I might not-anyway we have shopped at Aldi and Tesco today-Tesco for the kids fancy stuff-its really expensive now..never used to be but in 1992 it was considered the "posh" store and Asda was the place to go but this was before Asda was taken over by Walmart.

Added after 9 minutes:

This is abit off topic but I have just spotted this in TES-we are teachers (actual + training):
http://www.tes.co.uk/job/KS1---KS2-Classroom-Teachers-73577/s_cid/32

what do u think? Any good?

julia44
12-05-2012, 05:50
gas - 14.70€ per bottle cooking and water new one every 3 months
electric - about 45€ pm
water - about 15€ pm (I have a small holding)
council tax - 99.78€ pa
rubbish - 88.50€ pa
car tax - 44.78€ pa
house and contents insurance 220€ pa
car insurance - 358€ pa
phone - 47€ pm
I up in the hills, winter temp about 8 at night-16+ in the day , summer about 18 at night up to about 50+ in the day

DonnaFranka
12-05-2012, 13:45
i find LIDLS massively cheaper then mercadona and have cut my food bill in half

food cost more then england ??? its 1900 miles from london !!!!!

Hiya Satellite.

Can you pls give examples of `massively cheaper` items at Lidl. Cos when I shop there I find the following:

butter 10c cheaper
Bread 3c ~~ I mean fresh french stick
uht milk 3c ~~ no fresh milk...keep asking for it though !
juices 10-20c ~~
tin toms 12c ~~
Oil 10c ~~
Spaghetti 10c ~~
12 eggs 30c ~~

to list but a few ......

Uk and Italian Lidls do have massive discounts but not ours here in canarias...

Pray how have you managed to half your food bill ? :dontknow:

Suej
12-05-2012, 14:12
We have done the shopping today so I will post up the receipt soon-I will scan it and upload-this weekend.. then we can compare-sort of fun in a strange way...:spin:

I sometimes (when bored) look up items bought in the Mercadona and go online to UK supermarkets price comparison sites just to compare! some essentials are more expensive here and some are cheaper! All in all IMO I think we pay much the same for a weekly shop as you pay in the UK...Wine is cheaper here though!:wink::eyebrows:

Jackie
12-05-2012, 14:32
I sometimes (when bored) look up items bought in the Mercadona and go online to UK supermarkets price comparison sites just to compare! some essentials are more expensive here and some are cheaper! All in all IMO I think we pay much the same for a weekly shop as you pay in the UK...Wine is cheaper here though!:wink::eyebrows:

I agree Sue. I do all my food shopping at Mercadona and as you say some things maybe a bit more expensive and others cheaper but if they ain't got it then I don't get it simple, it all balances itself out in the end....not one for going to different shops for stuff unless of course it's for good old female retail therapy lol

Suej
12-05-2012, 14:50
The only thing that is really expensive here (which unfortunately we can't live without) is medium White sliced bread! we pay about 1.80€ compared to Tesco/Sainsbury's which is about 50-60p a loaf!

lapalma
12-05-2012, 21:43
Having been a regular visitor to Tenerife on many times in the past and not being in favour of AI hotels etc I must say that renting an apartment is the best option and doing our weekly shop in Gran Sur Adeje,where we can source 90 cent bottles of wine that cost £8.00 in ASDA as well as Morrisons and others in the UK.In renting private appartments you get to know everyone and do in fact go to the local bars and restaurants.I have had many good times in Tenerife and looking at the predicted forcast for Tenerife during the next few days Iam SICK,have a good time and dont forget the sun cream,Enjoy.

Tenerifebot
13-05-2012, 00:24
gas - 14.70€ per bottle cooking and water new one every 3 months
electric - about 45€ pm
water - about 15€ pm (I have a small holding)
council tax - 99.78€ pa
rubbish - 88.50€ pa
car tax - 44.78€ pa
house and contents insurance 220€ pa
car insurance - 358€ pa
phone - 47€ pm
I up in the hills, winter temp about 8 at night-16+ in the day , summer about 18 at night up to about 50+ in the day

Brilliant-I will have a look -we were in interview session today so I haven't been on-I will try to upload my shopping list ASAP-meanwhile keep it coming then I will average them out-I should really calculate Kw per hour in terms of electricity and gas is something else..
boy 50C + thats hot:ashamed: -I have been in 46C in melbourne with fires=oh yes is there a fire threat at all?

Tenerifebot
13-05-2012, 00:32
im not being picky but you live in a tourist area and i live in a spanish village,
everyone uses water bottles for water heating here - so much cheaper and instant water
as for telecom - i am sorry but 6mb line and ADSL for €40 is good as sooo many peoople in england cant get 1mb ..
it just seem nothing like where i live ..60c for a cafe . chicken chips salad €3.50
its only 50c for the car wash...

Added after 6 minutes:

you can buy a old fix up two bed house from €30k in my village....im hoping to buy house next door for 20k (outside toliet . no work done since 1961) .all the massive house priice inflation is in the tourist areas on the coast ..

Added after 6 minutes:

i find LIDLS massively cheaper then mercadona and have cut my food bill in half

food cost more then england ??? its 1900 miles from london !!!!!
SATELLITE where is your village? Sounds promising!

Tenerifebot
13-05-2012, 00:44
Agreed-shopping will vary by how much you get! So the only way we can do this is for me to post my shopping items this week and for people to match (as best they can) to that-I will scan it as a jpeg image and hopefully be able to load that-

With the water how far down are these channels of water? Would it be possible to drill down and tap your own supply or is that stupid and too much hassel?

Added after 5 minutes:

compared with what other shop ...you dont say but

butter 10c cheaper - never have eaten butter makes you fat and hardens your arteries
Bread 3c ~~ - get fresh rolls tied to my door each mornig at 7.30 from the baker...
uht milk 3c ~~ - no fresh milk..LIDLS is a geman supermarket operating in spain .try ICELAND FOR
english milk plus i dont drink milk and DEF NOT FRESH milk - same answer as ´´butter´´
juices 10-20c ~~ 1.5 litre of multiviamijo light is 99c
tin toms 12c ~~ if you mean tomatos i get em from the man who grows them
12 eggs 30c ~~ get em from the man who has the chickens
the oranges and bannanas come from the said growers ,
same with my potatoes - i get them from my potato field which is next to house
driinking water i get straight from the canals - good saving that as its FREE
and not kept in those toxic plastic bottles ...

Pray how have you managed to half your food bill ? :dontknow:[/QUOTE]

Sorry is "c" like pence? I know the Euro but I dont know the smaller currency, however I do watch Euronews on my Bush set top box.

Added after 11 minutes:

i am 1km up just off main road to teide .. in the orotava valle google it
Its beautiful-I would love 3032to draw that mountain-reminds me of Cezanne which I saw today in a gallery in London this afternoon-

Tenerifebot
13-05-2012, 16:43
Just had a look now (7.15am ) 27.1 degrees. I know to keep windows and doors shut and also the curtains, there is only a breeze. I am 800m up the mountain I did notice that everyone was walking their dogs early at about 6am today, also I make savings as the cats dont want to eat as much!
27c thats perfect-in melbourne that would be a "normal" spring/summers day-cool before the heat would come the next day 35C then maybe 40-46C then a cool change and plummet to 17C-4 seasons in one day! then again in Brisbane its around 35C with 90 odd % humidity-and around 20C in winter-I have scanned the shopping list-I will try to upload-not sure if it will work anyways...:pray:

Added after 2 minutes:

Heres the shopping list we did the other day and before...3039

Sundowner
13-05-2012, 19:00
Just a thought.......I would not be looking at living in Tenerife if my criteria was how cheap it is to shop in Aldi.......Tenerife is a wonderful place if you have a few bob......not so good if you do not.........just my opinion!!

Sundowner
13-05-2012, 19:35
its the cheapest place i have lived in my life ....

I don't disagree with you!!

But taking in all the pro's and con's it is better to have a few bob extra to survive the unexpected than not!!!

In the U.K. you have the state to fall back upon if things get bad............in Tenerife for most expats you are on your own!!

cainaries
13-05-2012, 20:05
The OP should add private health insurance to his list of expenses. At least for the first several months whilst he is looking for work.

His post did say 'islands' but I'll not join in the rest of this conversation except to say that the teaching job you linked to is on Gran Canaria.

And the only river in the Canary Islands is here on La Palma and when there is water in it this causes such excitement that everyone goes out to film it.

Tdm
13-05-2012, 20:09
Everybody's circumstances and likes and dislikes are different, and those former U.K. residents who choose to move to Tenerife do so for their own reasons, but it does make a big difference if you still need to work when you get here, as apposed to moving here to enjoy a life of retirement in the Sun.
Prior to Emigrating in 2004 my wife and I both needed to work to pay all the bills, and had very little left over at the end of the month to spend on ourselves. Since moving to Tenerife we haven't needed to work, and have been able to live comfortably on (initially) just a single Occupational Pension. The exchange rate has fallen considerably since then, but we now have other sources of Income to offset this and supplement my Occupational Pension (all declared and legal I might add).
The bulk of our expenditure now goes on Food and Leisure, household bills accounting for a lot less than they used to in the U.K., but partly accounting for this is that we moved from a large 4-bedroomed house in Wales to a 1-bedroomed apartment on a Tourist Complex here, as that is all we now need, the majority of our time now being spent out of doors in the sunshine, not sat inside a house with the heating on most of the time to keep warm, watching the rain teaming down outside more often than not.
Like I said at the very beginning of this post, everyone is different, and needs to do their own sums to work out whether it is worthwhile tham moving here.
On a recent trip back to the U.K. (this Easter) I noticed just how expensive everything is there now, and I spent more in a week in Britain (visiting family in the North and the South) than I would in a month here in Tenerife.
Just my twopenny worth for what it's worth. :)

Tenerifebot
13-05-2012, 20:55
Just a thought.......I would not be looking at living in Tenerife if my criteria was how cheap it is to shop in Aldi.......Tenerife is a wonderful place if you have a few bob......not so good if you do not.........just my opinion!!
Thats fine-Not the intention at all-just being realistic-Future job prospects are bleak-I am in my 50's so retirement is closer than I think-I have to plan to what we are doing now as the work situation is awful-and not likely to improve-we will have limited income if we remain at this level. so what could happen is we will pay our UK property outright through inheritance and rent it out for maybe £205 a week-maybe and that will be our income-someone did say on another post that a future resident will have £200,000 plus £50-60,000 and if they have 5% in the bank that would be enough to live on, which is the same as us- we most likely will be able to buy a Teneriffe house outright but I am not sure at this stage whats the costings are for that and where at this stage as THE GRAND PLAN has just started-U have to be able to afford a place to live and to like it-Its no good us coming over and not being able to live-we know australia so we would be OK there but its too far away and we dont really like it, thats the problem......
What do u mean not so good if you do not.........?

amanda
13-05-2012, 22:25
Hi everyone
1. gas
2. Electricity
3. Council tax or rates
4. house insurance
5. water costs
6. food
7. car tax/disc
9. car insurance
10.petrol

food for thought do any of you think the the canarians or spanish think about how much the cost of living is in the uk when they go there to live and if they worry that they cant get their food in the uk ie sliced loaf of bread bacon tin of baked beans we live in another country we chose to live here why not eat canarian food

Tenerifebot
13-05-2012, 22:29
In the U.K. you have the state to fall back upon if things get bad............in Tenerife for most expats you are on your own!!
yeah thats a worry-We cant come now-no it would have to be semi-retirement relying on the income source I suggested we have children studying GCSE's and other things so we will wait but we need hope that we will be able to live in the foreseeable future-At this stage I am just comparing expenses including food..

cainaries
13-05-2012, 22:45
yeah thats a worry-We cant come now-no it would have to be semi-retirement relying on the income source I suggested we have children studying GCSE's and other things so we will wait but we need hope that we will be able to live in the foreseeable future-At this stage I am just comparing expenses including food..

But this could all change dramatically over 5-10 years. We've been on La Palma for 7 years and the increase in our electricity bills is horrendous. I know this may also be true in the UK but my point is that you will have to keep updating your database. Anyhow, good luck with it and even though everyone else has ignored me, do factor in some healthcare costs. At the moment British OAPs can transfer their rights but who knows how long that arrangement will hold good.

Tenerifebot
13-05-2012, 23:50
But this could all change dramatically over 5-10 years. We've been on La Palma for 7 years and the increase in our electricity bills is horrendous. I know this may also be true in the UK but my point is that you will have to keep updating your database. Anyhow, good luck with it and even though everyone else has ignored me, do factor in some healthcare costs. At the moment British OAPs can transfer their rights but who knows how long that arrangement will hold good.
Absolutely right-Could be in 5-10 years so I will have to update information constantly-So I hope people wont mind!!
Would u say the increases have been a lot over the 7 years? Can u indicate as we could see what could happen in another 7 years!
I forgot about Health care-Is it like the NHS? Is it free? what is the health system like? Are the hospitals easily reached-we do have a few health issues-nothing major but aging wont help!

Added after 8 minutes:

Well, I guess he can answer for himself, Satellite, but he says they are teachers (post number 40) and somewhere else (I really can't face re-reading this whole thread) that they were planning 'semi-retirement'. Also, if they have mainly lived in, paid their national insurance in ... Australia ... can they transfer those rights to Spain?
There is no National Insurance in australia- I dont like the NI system as we have been only back in UK for 8 years and cant make it to 30 years; where as in australia u have superannuation and can collect the pension at 65/or is it 67 now?, if u have worked for 10 years which is like the USA-The funny thing also is that australia has a social security agreements with many countries including Spain where we could draw the aussie pension while residing in Spain but there is NO agreement with the UK can u believe because the UK didn't index pensions like the australians do however I think UK is indexing now? So why is it still the same!!???

Added after 52 minutes:

1.SELL THE UK HOUSE - put it on market NOW and dont firesale it
2.PUT POUNDS IN BANK AND TRANSFER IT ASAP it is 1.25 now GRAB THAT RATE
3.BUY A PLACE AROUND THE €70K mark
3. FIND A GOOD PLACE TO PUT THE MONEY ON A FIXED INCOME PACKAGE
4. dont every think you will earn any money here - discount it

Hi Satellite
Well ahh..... cant really do 1. at this time-nice idea but not a good time to sell-we need teaching work on your lovely island-very tempting but need work-same old thing-if u know someone in education that might be different!!
2. it is a good rate but pound will recover-not yet probably 3-5 years but anything can happen

3. Now I am really interested in this-can u really get something for 70K(pounds I presume)???-where, what, bedrooms, run down, land size, new build-what about the Spanish land grab rule?
4. I think u mean employment; there is none? We are expecting that-We might have to go back and forth for teaching work? or can we work once this awful austerity is gone which it will-estimate 5-10 years (Greece 20 years-Ireland 15 years)

cainaries
14-05-2012, 11:17
British OAPs who have paid all their UK National Insurance contributions can receive their UK pensions in Spain. AT THE MOMENT (this writing in capitals is catching) British OAPs permanently resident in Spain receive free medical treatment and prescriptions ... these charges are, as I understand it, billed back to the UK. I have heard several rumours to the effect that we will, in future, be asked to pay a percentage (e.g. 10%). How that will work out I don't know. Will they deduct that 10% and charge back 90% to the UK or will they just pocket it.

Tenerifebot ... there is a Spanish Health Service which is free to contributors. But you haven't contributed so you won't be entitled to access it and they definitely check unlike the UK. If you haven't contributed to the UK NI either, I'm not sure what you would even be entitled to in the UK. Why don't you contact the UK Department of Work and Pensions and ask them for a forecast? You do have to apply for a pension in the UK, you know, they don't just start paying it into your Bank account out of the kindness of their hearts.

cainaries
14-05-2012, 12:57
Think about this logically, Satellite. Currently, we are agreed, the medical bills for British OAPs using the 'free' Spanish Health Service (free at the point of delivery) are paid by the UK. If, in the future, British OAPs make a 10% contribution does that go to the UK? If so what advantage is there to the Spanish government in even bothering to introduce it? It will cost them money to collect it. If, however, they can use it as, for example, an admin charge ... then there is some point to it. If you find this offensive I think you are easily offended.

cainaries
14-05-2012, 17:01
There isn't any need to SHOUT at us, Satellite.

You say everybody will have to pay more for health care. This is why I suggested to Tenerifebot that he needs to add this into his calculations.

Tenerifebot
14-05-2012, 19:14
British OAPs who have paid all their UK National Insurance contributions can receive their UK pensions in Spain. AT THE MOMENT (this writing in capitals is catching) British OAPs permanently resident in Spain receive free medical treatment and prescriptions ... these charges are, as I understand it, billed back to the UK. I have heard several rumours to the effect that we will, in future, be asked to pay a percentage (e.g. 10%). How that will work out I don't know. Will they deduct that 10% and charge back 90% to the UK or will they just pocket it.

Tenerifebot ... there is a Spanish Health Service which is free to contributors. But you haven't contributed so you won't be entitled to access it and they definitely check unlike the UK. If you haven't contributed to the UK NI either, I'm not sure what you would even be entitled to in the UK. Why don't you contact the UK Department of Work and Pensions and ask them for a forecast? You do have to apply for a pension in the UK, you know, they don't just start paying it into your Bank account out of the kindness of their hearts.
We are contributing NI but it has only been 8 years as we lived in australia (me since 13)-we wont make 30 years no way-so what does that mean? We will however be able to get the australian pension as Spain has an agreement with australia ( u have to apply in asutralia also and we would have to fly there and stay for one day) As we are Ni contributors we do get NHS- cant this be transferred to Spain?-what will we do about this? If we cant get free health cover that could seriously stop us coming as we will NOT be getting any healthier-what about other concessions in Teneriffe? Free bus? reduced bills?

Added after 46 minutes:

Absolutely right-Could be in 5-10 years so I will have to update information constantly-So I hope people wont mind!!

10 years !!!! you are in your 50s why not move NOW

they are teachers (post number 40) where ????
if they have mainly lived in, paid their national insurance in ... Australia ... WHY DO THAT JUST WAIT till retirement age and get it put in bank ?????

EVERYONE IN BRITISH WILL GET A PENSION IN ENGLAND IN THE FUTURE they changed the rules .... you would be hard pressed not to get about 60 pounds a week pension (that what i will get )

well try the british schools
2. it is a good rate but pound will recover WHY????

3. Now I am really interested in this-can u really get something for 70K(pounds I presume)-where, what, bedrooms, run down, land size, new build- ok when you flying out to look????

what about the Spanish land grab rule? WHAT ???
4. I think u mean employment; there is none? We are expecting that-We might have to go back and forth for teaching work? if you want jobs ring the british schools and come out look around ......

i thought you were coming out this winter ....10 years ??????

there are three types here
1.young (ish) working age people ,who do a bit of this and that to stay here
2.OAPs with a FULL working age pension and sale of uk asset
3. 1,000,000 spanish

thats it im sure your are nice people but to be talking in such detail about what you will do here in 10 years makes no scene to me .....

Added after 28 minutes:

British OAPs who have paid all their UK National Insurance contributions can receive their UK pensions in Spain.
the fact that they put you pension in a britsih or spanish bank account is just admin - where you live in the EU dont come into how much you get etc ...

AT THE MOMENT British OAPs REGISTERED permanently resident in Spain receive ... FREE SPANISH HEALTH SERVICE treatment these charges are billed back to the UK. EVERYBODY IN THE SPANISH NATIONAL HEALTH SYSTEM will, in future, be asked to pay a percentage (e.g. 10%).
´´´´´´will they just pocket it.´´´´ that just offensive - :dontknow:
The reason I am doing such extensive research is I need to know if it is possible (make sure) I am glad u are so confident for us to come over however we tried this in 2007 on russell island in australia-SEE
http://www.russellisland.com.au/
Looks good doesn't! Well it aint!! Its awful-full of ferals-SEE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_%28subculture%29
and russell island is FULL of them.
(wild people) biting Midges, flooding

and it was a complete disaster because I didn't research it and just hoped for the best as we thought we know it! So that cant happen again-

cainaries
14-05-2012, 20:37
you were saying british would pay more when it is everyone paying more

Thank you for whispering since this is giving me a migraine. The difference between British pensioners (not Brits in general) paying more rather than everyone else using the Spanish Health Service is that the bill is sent back to the UK but from what I've heard (and I am sure you will correct me) there will be additional charges for prescriptions and possibly even visits to the Health Centre. So, if British pensioners have to pay 10% of their prescription costs up front at the pharmacy will the Spanish government only bill 90% back to the UK or 100%?

I don't know why I'm bothering with this conversation as I'm just repeating myself and I don't think you're listening to every word I say.

Tenerifebot
14-05-2012, 20:50
i see your point but get a cheap ryanair flight and stay in a b and b from about €20 a night ...

OK-sure if we can (4 of us and not much money) but could try-Could u be more specific-B & B 20 euros; where are these? do the have websites?

cainaries
14-05-2012, 22:33
the bill sent to the NHS will be the amount your treatment has cost the spanish national health

Right. Hypothetical case. Drugs for Mrs. Smith British OAP resident in Tenerife today have a value of €100 per month. No-one has yet said that the cost of the drugs themselves are going up. Today Mrs. Smith pays €0 and the Spanish government bills UK government €100. Cost to Spanish Government €0. New system is introduced. Drug itself still costs €100 but Mrs. Smith has to pay €20. Cost to UK Government reduced to €80. Net gain by UK, net loss to Mrs. Smith and still zero to Spain.

Tenerifebot
15-05-2012, 11:01
Interesting about Health-Look at this later-
Right I will have a look at the replies and see what costings we are looking at then I will post my costings per week-If anyone can compare the items on my list or approximate (if there spending is the same as us) then I will be able to get an idea of food costs- Everything else looks cheaper but I am worried about food as in australia the food bill is $230 per week which is about £115 where as we are paying about £90 so that would add up on a small fixed income-Does Lidl or Iceland have a website(Teneriffe thats is)-I could look at that- Actually I could write to the stores and send them my list then they could itemize the products-might do that-:)

Muppet
15-05-2012, 11:54
Interesting about Health-Look at this later-
Right I will have a look at the replies and see what costings we are looking at then I will post my costings per week-If anyone can compare the items on my list or approximate (if there spending is the same as us) then I will be able to get an idea of food costs- Everything else looks cheaper but I am worried about food as in australia the food bill is $230 per week which is about £115 where as we are paying about £90 so that would add up on a small fixed income-Does Lidl or Iceland have a website(Teneriffe thats is)-I could look at that- Actually I could write to the stores and send them my list then they could itemize the products-might do that-:)

Quite honestly a lot of your questions are similar to asking for the length of a piece of string - it is not easy to compare like for like prices of individual items on a shopping receipt - especially brand name products.

I doubt you will get much help from the stores themselves either unless you ask them your questions in good Spanish.

It seems you need to get over to the island for a number of short breaks in the next few years so you can take a close look at all areas of the island to see which, if any area, takes your fancy.

As others have already said, there are Massive differences between the areas - and even within a few miles of each other, in terms of climate, property costs, infra structure and so on.

You need to investigate and settle on an area of the island which takes your fancy, and then start to research in depth the pros and cons. You don't say what you both specialise in as far as teaching is concerned, but frankly I cannot ever see you infiltrating into the State system (aside from savage budget cuts) it is a pretty closed shop. With just a couple of private English schools here, you will need to be at the absolute top of your game AND be proficient in subjects that are required by the schools here. The number of potential students at the private schools is dropping in any event since so many "Brits" are/have returning/ed home, and those who are staying on are finding it an expensive luxury. My wife worked at one of them when we first came here but has since closed.

Your decision on whether to move here in 5 or 10 years time cannot really be taken on the price of fish today - it's whether you develop a genuine love for the place, and as in love generally, you may need to sacrifice something - a packet of weetabix a week - for example to benefit the relationship.

As for health care - well that is what you absolutely must be concentrating your research on right now. There is a serious risk right now that in order to stay here for more than 3 months you will need to show how your health costs can be covered.

Yes if you can transfer your UK entitlement here as a pensioner with full benefits (i.e. 30 years + of credits) you will probably fall into the normal situation that most pensioners are in. However, how your Australian situation works here is another matter. If you cannot transfer your full health "credits" here you may find yourselves needing private insurance (which is far from cheap) in order to qualify and this will apply in any event until you reach pension age.

You will not get a proper feel, nor stand any chance whatsoever, of falling in love with the island unless you experience it for yourself - the internet cannot replace real time experience.

The islands themselves are in a pretty dire financial position - as is Spain itself. Nobody can really predict what will happen when the Euro implodes and the effect that will have here, but remember there is precious little social welfare in Spain (or here), the sorts of benefits you will be aware of in the UK simply do not exist - income support, heating allowances (yes you will need winter heating in many areas) are a thing the Canarians can only dream of

Tenerifebot
15-05-2012, 13:32
Quite honestly a lot of your questions are similar to asking for the length of a piece of string - it is not easy to compare like for like prices of individual items on a shopping receipt - especially brand name products.

I doubt you will get much help from the stores themselves either unless you ask them your questions in good Spanish.

It seems you need to get over to the island for a number of short breaks in the next few years so you can take a close look at all areas of the island to see which, if any area, takes your fancy.

As others have already said, there are Massive differences between the areas - and even within a few miles of each other, in terms of climate, property costs, infra structure and so on.

You need to investigate and settle on an area of the island which takes your fancy, and then start to research in depth the pros and cons. You don't say what you both specialise in as far as teaching is concerned, but frankly I cannot ever see you infiltrating into the State system (aside from savage budget cuts) it is a pretty closed shop. With just a couple of private English schools here, you will need to be at the absolute top of your game AND be proficient in subjects that are required by the schools here. The number of potential students at the private schools is dropping in any event since so many "Brits" are/have returning/ed home, and those who are staying on are finding it an expensive luxury. My wife worked at one of them when we first came here but has since closed.

Your decision on whether to move here in 5 or 10 years time cannot really be taken on the price of fish today - it's whether you develop a genuine love for the place, and as in love generally, you may need to sacrifice something - a packet of weetabix a week - for example to benefit the relationship.

As for health care - well that is what you absolutely must be concentrating your research on right now. There is a serious risk right now that in order to stay here for more than 3 months you will need to show how your health costs can be covered.

Yes if you can transfer your UK entitlement here as a pensioner with full benefits (i.e. 30 years + of credits) you will probably fall into the normal situation that most pensioners are in. However, how your Australian situation works here is another matter. If you cannot transfer your full health "credits" here you may find yourselves needing private insurance (which is far from cheap) in order to qualify and this will apply in any event until you reach pension age.

You will not get a proper feel, nor stand any chance whatsoever, of falling in love with the island unless you experience it for yourself - the internet cannot replace real time experience.

The islands themselves are in a pretty dire financial position - as is Spain itself. Nobody can really predict what will happen when the Euro implodes and the effect that will have here, but remember there is precious little social welfare in Spain (or here), the sorts of benefits you will be aware of in the UK simply do not exist - income support, heating allowances (yes you will need winter heating in many areas) are a thing the Canarians can only dream of

Thank you for your honest and "not what I want to hear but should listen" post-I thought so actually-It does look too good to be true and the Euro crisis has ruined everything including the UK-We are in big trouble if we dont go back to australia- we do know that- Ok lets have a look at what you have said(however with no money we have had it -as usual)

1. Yes- it is not easy doing a comparison and the lack of Spanish is probably too problematic.

2. Yes- we were going to come over for trips for the next 5 years (that is if we survive living in the UK) and I am sure it is a great place with nice beaches but if we cant live then there is no point-it look like it will be Magnetic island -Queensland where we have lived before-SEE:
http://www.magnetic-island.com.au/

3. I specialize in Art and Design and my wife in Music-we are doing general primary and I am doing a bit of FE. We are struggling to get teaching work (on supply for 2 years now) an the costs in the UK are enormous-I cant see this improving so we need to think that we have some sort of hope-atleast to think we have but it doesn't look good and we most likely will return to australia as it familiar (familiarly bad) and the aussies do speak english and the economy is not i desperate straights like in Europe-What would u do?? It will be harder to get back to the UK-more expensive and its too far away-as we were thinking of still staying in the UK for part of the year on a canal boat(I have one now)

4. what do u mean when u say "I cannot ever see you infiltrating into the State system" We would just require free health cover or do u think this will NOT happen in the future-it would have to be like the NHS-if there is a need for health insurance or a payment I would have to cost this in-worried now ???

5. With just a couple of private English schools here, you will need to be at the absolute top of your game
Look our intention would not be gain employment-it would only be a bit of luck that we would obtain employment ANYWHERE as we see it at present-in Other words we would be giving up,simply as that-the stress on us as a family trying to secure an impossibility is taking its toll on us as a family-I cant/wont do my art as I feel guilty about this and we are not enjoying england- we could get ill through this-whats the point?? we just want to be happy and to live, maybe poor now as I dont see us getting a teaching pension thats why I need to find somewhere were we can just live not worry constantly how we will pay this, pay that-Its not working....
and and those who are staying on are finding it an expensive luxury. Well thats hopeless-thats NOT any good and I can understand returning to the UK-England is a VERY difficult place to leave believe me I have tried on numerous occasions but u need money to actually live here "normally" but in australia u can have a nice house, have nice weather and actually afford to be on a pension not having to CHOOSE to heat or eat as in Britain-this is why 1000,000 or is it 3000,000 British live overseas and the Conservatives are doing the same old thing austerity like the 70's that drove my father out and me in the 1st place-I thought things had changed under Tony Blair But no its back to "normal"-oh hailing by the way outside just in case people have forgotten how bad the weather is-this does NOT help!
6. it's whether you develop a genuine love for the place, I probably will but if we cant live in your lovely place-no goer I am afraid as we have to accept we will NOT have any money now-unless there is a drastic improvement which I doubt.
7. if you can transfer your UK entitlement here as a pensioner with full benefits (i.e. 30 years + of credits) I have already said that we have only been in the UK for 8 years-I am 53-I dont think I ma going to make a further 22 years!!!! What a stupid idea-why not if u have worked 10 years like normal countries- thats why it looks like australia s we will be FORCED to not I want to as I prefer Europe!! It would have to be the australian pension as they have a socila security agreement with Spain but NOT with the UK who actually founded australia- this is why I get SO annoyed...
So when u say "If you cannot transfer your full health "credits" here Do u mean to get NHS health cover I wouldhave to be in contributing for 30 years NI or are u talking about pension? Wont get UK pension as stated-which isn't much anyway-£100?? australia would be £ 355.03 (per week) for the two of us-according to the smart currency converter on this site
SEE: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/age_rates.htm
8. I am not just taking information here to come over as with my mistake with Russell island where we tried to do this before and failed I would HAVE TO come over regularly and we have to like it!! True-
9. The islands themselves are in a pretty dire financial position Thats what I am worried about:mad:-australia IS NOT-in fact it will have a surplus and the economy is booming now and for at least 20 years to come!!
Thanks for that clarification-could du tell me the places where it is actually warm in the winter and we will not need any or minimal heating-would a wood stove be sufficient??-I have been watching the climate and it never really got below 16C? But i think that was on BBC weather-under Tenerife- I have lived on a canal boat in the UK so I know how to do low cost heating even in this awful climate -even as a kid I don't like it!! (grew up in California)
Once again thanks for this-sorted....

Muppet
15-05-2012, 14:06
Hi

I can't help you with your precise pensions/healthcare questions - I know nothing about the recirocal arrangements between Oz / UK / Spain - unfortunately it remains your problem to resolve, anthough forum member Goldenmaniac may be able to look into it for you - it's what she does for a living.

What I do know is that Spain has just cut it's funding for the Canaries by almost one billion Euros, the Canaries have a 33% unemployment rate and costs of healthcare are now so huge that both the Spanish and Canarian governments are looking at ways of saving money. As a result, if you are not in full time (legal) employment/self employed it is very probable that you will soon have to show medical insurance cover. If, when of pensionable age (not self chosen early retirement) you cannot transfer free health entitlements here, then you will also need insurances.

Another thought of course is whether you are an EU citizen or an Australian one - that could make all the difference - I have no idea how it all works, and only you can make the decisions based on the answers you receive.

You say your costs in the UK are high and the weather is pants! Probably correct on both! BUT, in general terms, living costs here are slightly less than the UK maybe, but not by such an amount that you will suddenly become the equivilent of a Canarian millionare! Earnings here are appaling compared to the UK, and at least if you fall on hard times the State will look after you - even if only to a point. Here, once your dole money runs out (maximum 12 months or so) you are on your own - no State help with housing, food, clothing - nothing at all.

Final advice here is, firstly do your homework and find out everything there is to know about transfer of pensions/Healthcare from Oz to UK to Spain - if it cannot be done you are wasting your time. If it can be done THEN you can start to look at this beautiful Island and whether you can consider making it your home. If you want an all year round "temperate" climate look to the southwest corner (eg Los Gigantes) - which is just about the only bit you wont need winter heating (at sea level!!!) there you could expect day highs of 20 ish mid winter, lows of 13/14 - go up into the hills even just a couple of kilometres (eg Tamiamo and you'll have overnight lows of 10 degrees or even less, daytime highs of 16.

back to you

Sundowner
15-05-2012, 14:23
I think it is too early to be doing these sums!!

Everything was always cheaper when Spain had the Peseta!!

Wait a few months and Spain will have the Peseta again and then you will be able to check your living costs more accurately!!

Tenerifebot
15-05-2012, 14:51
Hi

I can't help you with your precise pensions/healthcare questions - I know nothing about the recirocal arrangements between Oz / UK / Spain - unfortunately it remains your problem to resolve, anthough forum member Goldenmaniac may be able to look into it for you - it's what she does for a living.

What I do know is that Spain has just cut it's funding for the Canaries by almost one billion Euros, the Canaries have a 33% unemployment rate and costs of healthcare are now so huge that both the Spanish and Canarian governments are looking at ways of saving money. As a result, if you are not in full time (legal) employment/self employed it is very probable that you will soon have to show medical insurance cover. If, when of pensionable age (not self chosen early retirement) you cannot transfer free health entitlements here, then you will also need insurances.

Another thought of course is whether you are an EU citizen or an Australian one - that could make all the difference - I have no idea how it all works, and only you can make the decisions based on the answers you receive.

You say your costs in the UK are high and the weather is pants! Probably correct on both! BUT, in general terms, living costs here are slightly less than the UK maybe, but not by such an amount that you will suddenly become the equivilent of a Canarian millionare! Earnings here are appaling compared to the UK, and at least if you fall on hard times the State will look after you - even if only to a point. Here, once your dole money runs out (maximum 12 months or so) you are on your own - no State help with housing, food, clothing - nothing at all.

Final advice here is, firstly do your homework and find out everything there is to know about transfer of pensions/Healthcare from Oz to UK to Spain - if it cannot be done you are wasting your time. If it can be done THEN you can start to look at this beautiful Island and whether you can consider making it your home. If you want an all year round "temperate" climate look to the southwest corner (eg Los Gigantes) - which is just about the only bit you wont need winter heating (at sea level!!!) there you could expect day highs of 20 ish mid winter, lows of 13/14 - go up into the hills even just a couple of kilometres (eg Tamiamo and you'll have overnight lows of 10 degrees or even less, daytime highs of 16.

back to you
Very informative once again--U have great knowledge of your island/s-Believe me I am British (born) so no problems about being EU citizenship and can however have dual nationality with australia might have to now-(dont want to) but there will probably change something-cant take the risk-I mean I do want a life when I get older not to worry about how much things will cost etc?-I know now I wont be rolling in it but I will own a house (at least thats something) I am worried about where my children will be /should be, so cant simple bounce around the place-
Not wanting to be a millionaire; not interested-what I am interested in is being able to do my art and NOT to worry about the next gas bill- thats no good and people in the UK do not know how bad they are off-chin up all the time..

howver Here, once your dole money runs out (maximum 12 months or so) -thats awful, really awful-thats like the states-UK is better there but its not enough to live on but in australia IT IS-so it s pretty obvious with my parents and sister there I cant avoid it can I :mad:I was hoping Europe could beat australia As I like the people of England (it is my home after all) and Europe BUT I DONT get on with the australians but I wont sacrifice everything for this problem-
what is property prices like in Los Gigantes?
I am pretty sure that I can draw the australian pension whilst I would be domicile in Spain-if Goldenmaniac can check for me great!!

Good Advice "if it cannot be done you are wasting your time. Absolutely agree with this statement-I feel you are a teacher/head? U certainly know what u are talking about-great post: honest, direct, real and needed..thanks again....its not easy is it....now

Added after 4 minutes:

I think it is too early to be doing these sums!!

Everything was always cheaper when Spain had the Peseta!!

Wait a few months and Spain will have the Peseta again and then you will be able to check your living costs more accurately!!
I dont think that s a good idea for Spain-If the Euro collapses then welcome Depression 2-It all over for all of US then- Well I dont like to be the profit of doom and gloom but I knew something was going to happen in 2007 thats why we left-now I feel its tittering again so I might not have any choice with and get out my cork hat thats says I knew u would be back.. on it (mate ,cobber fair dinkum) u pommie bast***

Muppet
15-05-2012, 15:00
Not a teacher !!

Anyhoo, I am enjoying having a sensible (and educational) conversation

Seems to me your real work starts now - Google is your friend - try properties in Los Gigantes - that'll bring you up a few to look at. I'm not suggesting for a moment you will like the area, but it is described by some as a retirement home!!

Enjoy your research

Tenerifebot
15-05-2012, 15:15
Not a teacher !!

Anyhoo, I am enjoying having a sensible (and educational) conversation

Seems to me your real work starts now - Google is your friend - try properties in Los Gigantes - that'll bring you up a few to look at. I'm not suggesting for a moment you will like the area, but it is described by some as a retirement home!!

Enjoy your research

Excellent-well if not a teacher then very well informed and very good conversationalist-certainly makes a change! I shall keep looking but I feel in my heart we will return to australia-I suppose thats the way it is-people would pay me to be in my situation!

As a further comment we might just simply limp along in the UK as our children are becoming established (another problem) even with the rubbish weather!! Boy its not easy is it....certainly visit thats for sure

Do keep posting costings everyone! I know things are bad but the Euro crisis will pass and everything will improve-they wont let it get too bad as THEY have too much to loose...

Tenerifebot
16-05-2012, 01:16
its so cheap here compared to the uk .......

the vat is a QUARTER of the uks .

a cafe,glass of fizzy water and a chocolate in the middle of puerto de la cruz 95c thats 80p ....

my father in england pays PER MONTH what i pay PER YEAR in water bills

my ´´ council tax ´´ is €45 A YEAR

Right...Yes well I do see it appears quite good in this respect-I did see where u live and it does look very nice-Whats u should do is make a proper living standards list such as my budget:
1. Food: I know it depends how much but just look at the list I posted and approximation to that.
2. Health: what is the costs? Do we need private insurance or is it free? Is it equal to the NHS or do u have to pay like in australia? How much should u budget for this?
3. Bills-people have posted some information here so I can extrapolate from that but you (SATELLITE) could add your outgoings (if u want to ofcourse!) which to reiterate: gas. electricity, Council tax etc-just see my 1st post!!!!

Naturally everyone has been marvelous and I feel you have a nice place and we will visit I am just getting an idea at this stage but need to know what we are up against and cannot dismiss the Euro crisis and as stated this will pass-For interest here is the link to the socila security agreement between Spain and australia:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/aus140_es_1007/$file/aus140_1007es_p.pdf
meanwhile I will keep looking....

Tenerifebot
16-05-2012, 02:08
1.my food bill about €20 a week
2. no idea i dont get ill - coz dont drink smoke eat suger or fat .walk 5km a day
3.council tax €85 a year rubish €70 a year water €80 a year gas €|5 a bottle €15 a week for elec

Wow amazing ..very good-OK walk 5 Km-thats quite distance!
With the shopping I would say there is x4 of us so that would be 80 euro depending-which is £64-If we had to get ashma sprays how much are they to buy? In UK free..

HERES my expenses in the UK per week:
1. gas & elec dual fuel fixed till Sep-Eon direct debit: £37.75
2. Boat license:£10.60
3. House insurance: £3.21
4. car insurance:£10.75 NOT "no claims" as we were away for over 2 years.
5. TV licence: £3.18
6. Broadband and phone virgin media £9.60
7. Council tax : £35.50
8. petrol : £21.76 ave- 140 miles a week
9. water : £9.25
10. Car disc: £1.78
11. shopping: £90 aprox. for 4
TOTAL: £232.24

So far cost of living per week(but this might change):
1. UK £232.24
2. australia: £214-this was with no car!add maybe and in melbourne- on Magnetic might be cheaper?
3. Tenerife: £143 (without health costs at this stage) Still calculating with other posts-this WILL change but so far is a clear winner...unless people can correct with expenses I have missed such as Health care for instance.
:jumping:

cheery
16-05-2012, 08:39
Wow amazing ..very good-OK walk 5 Km-thats quite distance!
With the shopping I would say there is x4 of us so that would be 80 euro depending-which is £64-If we had to get ashma sprays how much are they to buy? In UK free..

HERES my expenses in the UK per week:
1. gas & elec dual fuel fixed till Sep-Eon direct debit: £37.75
2. Boat license:£10.60
3. House insurance: £3.21
4. car insurance:£10.75 NOT "no claims" as we were away for over 2 years.
5. TV licence: £3.18
6. Broadband and phone virgin media £9.60
7. Council tax : £35.50
8. petrol : £21.76 ave- 140 miles a week
9. water : £9.25
10. Car disc: £1.78
11. shopping: £90 aprox. for 4
TOTAL: £232.24

So far cost of living per week(but this might change):
1. UK £232.24
2. australia: £214-this was with no car!add maybe and in melbourne- on Magnetic might be cheaper?
3. Tenerife: £143 (without health costs at this stage) Still calculating with other posts-this WILL change but so far is a clear winner...unless people can correct with expenses I have missed such as Health care for instance.
:jumping:

Those costs do look good but I can't see any rent or mortgage. Unless I have missed something in this thread that you are buying outright. This thread interests me greatly as we intend to move over in a few years and we need to start planning now. Obviously the recession isn't going to be around for ever and will affect how much money we end up with.

Megaloo
16-05-2012, 10:45
2. no idea i dont get ill - coz dont drink smoke eat suger or fat .walk 5km a day
3.council tax €85 a year rubish €70 a year water €80 a year gas €|5 a bottle €15 a week for elec

I presume you must walk from the hills and back again to your customers as I do not see any costs for car - petrol or even telephone and ADSL.?

Muppet
16-05-2012, 11:12
The first part of my post wasnt directed at you Thor, it was directed at the original poster - i.e. what does his €143 costing include so far.

I wasn't asking you about your phone costs, I was asking the O/P whether he had included it, and the others I listed, in his presumptions so far.

Chances are if Tenerfifebot were to move here with his family (4 in total I believe) the chances are the family would need a car, if nothing else to do the weekly/monthly shop in Lidl rather than struggle 1km up the hill on the guaga.

mike in chayofa
16-05-2012, 12:48
This thread is closed for a while, whilst I sort through the garbage.

This may take some time. I have more interesting things to do like watch the grass grow.

mike in chayofa
16-05-2012, 14:48
OK. I think that I have sorted all the krapp out, but there was so much that I may have missed something.

Can we PLEASE keep the thread on topic now.

Thank you

Tenerifebot
16-05-2012, 15:40
Those costs do look good but I can't see any rent or mortgage. Unless I have missed something in this thread that you are buying outright. This thread interests me greatly as we intend to move over in a few years and we need to start planning now. Obviously the recession isn't going to be around for ever and will affect how much money we end up with.

Good Question Cheery-Well the idea is NOT to have a mortgage or rent-We will be in this situation evntually, not now-Ok lets have a look:
Original:
1. UK £232.24 with morg= £128.75 = £361 but could be higher obviously.
2. australia: £214- with rent=£224.8 = £438.80
3. Tenerife: £143 with rent/mortage=*?

*can anyone fill in? Now I know it all depends on what u pay obviously what the size of the mortgage what is the rent, how big is the house-now Take our circumstances and we could calculate from the point:
Our case family of 4 with x2 teenagers:

1. UK: mortgage £515 per month on a loan of £98,000 fixed for 5 years-not sure of rate- I could look that up if u like-3 bedroom 1935 semi-£200,000

2. In melbourne it was rent in a normal area; not that fancy-3 bedroom bungalow price around £250,000 aprox
Interest rates at 4-4.6%-very high compared to UK.
another thing they dont tell u on Wanted Down under!
3. Now the big one! This is where we will need the forum members help! I have no idea of property prices at this stage and it would depend what country u take out the loan-In the UK or Canaries?? What is Spain's interest rates-UK=0.5% however some banks are raising costs....

Note: lets keep this going as its helping us here in the UK to see if it is indeed possible and would appreciate if forum members would keep it amicable as this is very important-I appreciate how kind and informative people on this forum have been-I hope to meet some of u one day.

Tenerifebot
16-05-2012, 16:05
The first part of my post wasnt directed at you Thor, it was directed at the original poster - i.e. what does his €143 costing include so far.

I wasn't asking you about your phone costs, I was asking the O/P whether he had included it, and the others I listed, in his presumptions so far.

Chances are if Tenerfifebot were to move here with his family (4 in total I believe) the chances are the family would need a car, if nothing else to do the weekly/monthly shop in Lidl rather than struggle 1km up the hill on the guaga.

Sorry just picked this up! My costs are based on only one poster-but heres the £143 per week break up:
1.Electric= £11
2. gas= £2 (bottle)
3. Council tax/rates=£7.20
4. House insurance=£6.25 (this will vary but we could average it out)
5. Water=£5
6. Food=£60 based on Satelites but based on a family of 4 but it would have to be itemised against my shopping list I posted to be accurate for us.
7. Car disc=£0.60
8. Internet & phone=£15
9. Car insurance=£7.1
10. Petrol= 80p a litre based on our 135 miles a week=£12
TOTAL=£126.15

So I have made a mistake there! (Never good at maths unfortunately)
However u could say £143 as shopping could be ab it higher-still obviously looking good unless it changes with the help of people on this forum!!
Work in progress.......
Now I haven't gone through all the postings so its a bit premature however like a work of art we will develop it as people add their expenses.

Muppet
16-05-2012, 16:52
OK

Couple of things, (assuming a family of 4)

If your water heating is electric you probably need to double your figure. If your water heating is gas (bottle) a family of 4 will go through a bottle a month - either way with 4 of you your figures are rather low.

Fuel here is sadly not 80c a litre any more - and will be going up again next month because of a rise in tax. You need to increase your budget a fair bit - and assume 1.10 to 1.15 a litre in your calculations.

Before you can even begin to account for rent or a mortgage you have to decide on the area of the island you wish to settle in. You could get a feeling for costs by searching for rental accomodation in, say, Puerto de la Cruz, Los Cristianos, Los Gigantes, Callao Salvaje and El Medano/Golf del Sur - you will get an idea at least of potental rents and potential purchase costs. By all means look at costs up in the hills, Vilaflor, Chaofa, Tamaimo and so on. As discussed before though, this is a pretty pointless exercise until you have experienced the island and have a feeling for where you want to settle.

Even more pointless though until you have worked out how your future pension/health entitlements are going to work out.

Things are changing here rapidly, there is no money in the Government pot for anything much. As I mentioned before (it may have been deleted by Mike, so again!) - there are now rumours that, unless you are legally working with a full time contract/self employed, or "properly" retired, in order to get a Resicencia (permission to live here for more than 3 months), you may need to show you have health insurance and that may well be applied to your dependants (i.e. children) if they come with you. This is not cheap and you should probably assume a couple of hundred a month for a family of 4 and check whether this includes dental cover or not.

Added after 5 minutes:

PS Lates crime rate figures are rising here twice or more times faster than the mainland. 33% of Canarians have no work and no benefits - they are becoming desperate to the point where they are even cutting down live power lines to pinch the copper for scrap.

PPS

House insurance is essential now for contents, and essential for mortgages too

Tenerifebot
16-05-2012, 17:30
OK

Couple of things, (assuming a family of 4)

If your water heating is electric you probably need to double your figure. If your water heating is gas (bottle) a family of 4 will go through a bottle a month - either way with 4 of you your figures are rather low.

Fuel here is sadly not 80c a litre any more - and will be going up again next month because of a rise in tax. You need to increase your budget a fair bit - and assume 1.10 to 1.15 a litre in your calculations.

Before you can even begin to account for rent or a mortgage you have to decide on the area of the island you wish to settle in. You could get a feeling for costs by searching for rental accomodation in, say, Puerto de la Cruz, Los Cristianos, Los Gigantes, Callao Salvaje and El Medano/Golf del Sur - you will get an idea at least of potental rents and potential purchase costs. By all means look at costs up in the hills, Vilaflor, Chaofa, Tamaimo and so on. As discussed before though, this is a pretty pointless exercise until you have experienced the island and have a feeling for where you want to settle.

Even more pointless though until you have worked out how your future pension/health entitlements are going to work out.

Things are changing here rapidly, there is no money in the Government pot for anything much. As I mentioned before (it may have been deleted by Mike, so again!) - there are now rumours that, unless you are legally working with a full time contract/self employed, or "properly" retired, in order to get a Resicencia (permission to live here for more than 3 months), you may need to show you have health insurance and that may well be applied to your dependants (i.e. children) if they come with you. This is not cheap and you should probably assume a couple of hundred a month for a family of 4 and check whether this includes dental cover or not.

Added after 5 minutes:

PS Lates crime rate figures are rising here twice or more times faster than the mainland. 33% of Canarians have no work and no benefits - they are becoming desperate to the point where they are even cutting down live power lines to pinch the copper for scrap.

PPS

House insurance is essential now for contents, and essential for mortgages too

"Food" for thought-very interesting-OK; taken on board-I will keep looking as more information comes in-Do u feel you have made a mistake by coming over? Or do u feel you should be in the UK? OR may I ask is there another location you or anyone else would be interested in? australia has NONE of the problems u have mentioned-Has anyone had a look at Magnetic Island North Queensland?? This one thing about australia there is no massive unemployment or very deprived areas or situations-in fact they do quite well-If it wasn't for the attitude we would be there NOW.

Muppet
16-05-2012, 17:31
1. Wise advice, but it is not always possible to install gas - especially if you are renting.
2. Personal choice true, but for a family of 4 it is restricting without one.
3. Again, personal choice and a decision that cannot be made until you have sampled the options. Just because you live in the middle of nowhere doesn't necessary mean the O/P and family would be happy. They've not even been here before!

4. You are totally missing the point about health insurance. It may well become conditional for the issue of a Residencia - certainly if Madrid have their way.

mike in chayofa
16-05-2012, 17:37
..... lets get some LIFE IN THIS THREAD

OK, but let's keep it on topic!

1. DONT USE ELECTRIC HEATING - PROBLEM SOLVED
2. DONT HAVE A CAR - GET A MOPED PROBLEM SOLVED
3. DONT LIVE IN A TOURIST AREA -PROBLEM SOLVED
Vilaflor - who lives there its 30 klicks from the sea
Tamaimo - only if your working in ´´the village´´
4.HEALTH insurance . dont get me started .....dont get ill dont drink smoke or eat half a ton of red meat or tub of butter every day .....cost zero €0

At times, you seem to have a very strange perspective on life - or at least the life that I know.

The probability is that whoever lives here will need heating (and probably air con) at some point.

If you live in what appears to be the normal concrete box a little larger than a garage, you will have little option other than to use electric for heating.

'Don't have a car' ... most people want some sort of quality of life.

House and contents insurance are really important. Some people will never have a claim and will probably justify the expense because of the piece of mind that it gives them.

One of the walls in my lounge is floor to ceiling, double glazed and tinted glass. There are three panels in total. The cost of replacing these is 600€ per unit and so far, the insurance company has had to replace three (one replacement was 24 hours after its instalation, so was obviously a fixing problem)

I have had sewer problems. The main pipe runs below my house and as such it wasn't a maintanance problem. The insurance company investigated the cause, repaired the damage and renewed and relocated all the pipework.

You may not need health insurance, but supposing that you have an accident? A friend of mine (who didn't have health cover at the time, but now does) slipped down a flight of steps and dislocated his shoulder. Cost of repairs and one and a half days in hospital was almost 3.000€

Muppet
16-05-2012, 17:40
"Food" for thought-very interesting-OK; taken on board-I will keep looking as more information comes in-Do u feel you have made a mistake by coming over? Or do u feel you should be in the UK? OR may I ask is there another location you or anyone else would be interested in? australia has NONE of the problems u have mentioned-Has anyone had a look at Magnetic Island North Queensland?? This one thing about australia there is no massive unemployment or very deprived areas or situations-in fact they do quite well-If it wasn't for the attitude we would be there NOW.

Know nothing about Australia, and it never appealed either, so cannot comment. (Others might!).

Like you, we looked ahead to the future, and as regular visitors to the island for years, hatched a plot to move here some years ago. The reason some of my comments may seem negative in this thread is that the financial and social climate here is now very, very different and there is no harm in telling like it really is in cold reality.

Added after 6 minutes:

Lates crime rate figures are rising here twice or more times faster than the mainland. SOURCE PLEASE

33% of Canarians UNTRUE they have no employment of course they get benefits
again no idea .... as in wales years ago when people had name like jones the butcher or the baker
i am the ´´techno alemán ´´ and you would not believe how many new tv they are buying up here
because they got no EMPLOYMENT and lot of time but lots of money .....these people were treated like dirt under franco they know how to keep it hid for a rainy day ...

It was reported in pretty much all the Canarian Press a couple of weeks back, here is link to English version

http://www.canariesnews.com/

Tenerifebot
16-05-2012, 18:04
Know nothing about Australia, and it never appealed either, so cannot comment. (Others might!).

Like you, we looked ahead to the future, and as regular visitors to the island for years, hatched a plot to move here some years ago. The reason some of my comments may seem negative in this thread is that the financial and social climate here is now very, very different and there is no harm in telling like it really is in cold reality.

Added after 6 minutes:

It was reported in pretty much all the Canarian Press a couple of weeks back, here is link to English version

http://www.canariesnews.com/

I dont think it is negative at all-We/the world who ever is in trouble at the moment, probably the worse since 1920's/1930's -so EVERYONE is worrying about social change and austerity-It will pass-we might have to wait till it does-see when the dust settles ad go from there-the problem we have (Some would see it as a blessing) is we dont want to return to australia as its changed (or have we/both) and we dont like it-so we are looking for an alternative as the UK is hard-we love it but it is hard to live here especially compared to what we are used to(cost, size of houses,space and gosh the weather is grim) but it is my home.
I think Tenerife looks like a great place to live however the Euro crisis could ruin everything and ANYTHING could happen-We have to know the truth as explained we didn't do it right on Russell island and our stuff is still in a container on the land that has been there for 4 years!! What a mistake....

mike in chayofa
16-05-2012, 18:07
I am a little unsure whether this was directed at me, or not?

........ but it is not always possible to install gas - especially if you are renting.

AGAIN you thinking is stuck in tourist town ... no one with a spanish HOUSE rented or not would have electric heating ....

Where do you get these ideas from?

I don't live in a tourist town, but all my neighbours have either electric heating or wood burning fires/stoves.

4. your not thinking DYNAMIC
he can sign on here for six months and UK pay his dole money

What 'dole' money? He retired here in his 50's and has sufficient funds to last him until the age of 200 (or so)

The fact that he was faced with a fairly large hospital bill did not matter to him, but it may do to others.

Muppet
16-05-2012, 18:13
its not the english version its an english free paper FULL STOP
if it was say a spanish paper with it in English ,that would be a english version

You wanted a source, you now have one.

Now you are advocating what I would consider to be fraud against the UK benefit system, suggesting not having house/contents insurance because your cave has never caught fire or been burgled.

Thank GOD I never took any advice from you when I came here, nor do I ever intend to in the future.

Sadly, nor do I believe the O/P will learn much of value from you either

Enjoy your fibre optic cables

I am a little unsure whether this was directed at me, or not?

Where do you get these ideas from?

I don't live in a tourist town, but all my neighbours have either electric heating or wood burning fires/stoves.

What 'dole' money? He retired here in his 50's and has sufficient funds to last him until the age of 200 (or so)

The fact that he was faced with a fairly large hospital bill did not matter to him, but it may do to others.

You're confused?? I give up!!

cainaries
16-05-2012, 18:43
The OP did say island/s. A house near us burnt to a cinder about 3 weeks ago, just up the road. And many people lost their houses/bodegas etc. in a devastating fire which covered almost half the island, I think it was the summer before last. Not only did a lot of homeowners not have private house insurance, they hadn't even got escrituras and their houses weren't officially registered on the property register. Without the paperwork they couldn't even claim back from the government subsidies allegedly sent from Madrid (haven't seen much of that money here as it turned out).

Tenerifebot
16-05-2012, 18:52
The probability is that whoever lives here will need heating (and probably air con) at some point.

i dont know ANYONE who has air con ,only in offices/bars etc .
its a three/four bed house made of concrete and stone .the thickness of the walls ,unlike those made of brezze blocks keep the HEAT IN AND BILLS LOW in the winter and THE COOL IN in the summer ...

'Don't have a car' ... - sad when people think you cant have a quality of life with out a car much better things to spend your money on then a car ....if you want to move a round a bit quick trip to town get a moped .....you need one in england because its always raining and the streets are full of druggies/drunks/illegals
House and contents insurance are really important. Some people will never have a claim and will probably justify the expense because of the piece of mind that it gives them. ANOTHER AMERICAN SYSTEM MYTH
in england most of the housing stock is very old and based on wood ...big fire hazard ..
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME IN TENERIFE YOU HEARD A FIRE ENGINE ....
and of those most were for crashs on the motorways ...

the building are all concrete any fire is contained internally and is normal put out very fast ....

and i use the SAFE ROOM security system ,that the CIA and governments recommend for house and personal .i dont even have a lock on my back door ,and my front door key is left over the top of it in case i forget when im out walking the dog ...

One of the walls in my lounge is floor to ceiling, double glazed and tinted glass. There are three panels in total. The cost of replacing these is 600€ per unit and so far, the insurance company has had to replace three (one replacement was 24 hours after its instalation, so was obviously a fixing problem) that is down to the design of your house and the quality of the windows you have ,both are in effect created by you picking the house and the window company...
the term Nietzsche used is ´Action diect´´

I have had sewer problems. The main pipe runs below my house and as such it wasn't a maintanance problem. The insurance company investigated the cause, repaired the damage and renewed and relocated all the pipework. same answer as above

You may not need health insurance, but supposing that you have an accident? A friend of mine (who didn't have health cover at the time, but now does) slipped down a flight of steps and dislocated his shoulder. Cost of repairs and one and a half days in hospital was almost 3.000
I DONT accidents - most accident are the fault of the person who they happen to ... due to weak health ,weak social habits , or weak physical or mental health .

Added after 11 minutes:

[QUOTE=mike in chayofa;177876]I am a little unsure whether this was directed at me, or not?

we thats a choice PAY for the electic ... lazy way
or get FREE wood from the collection points in the forest and collecting it yourself PROBLEM SOLVED
FREE HEATING
the extension i am building will have a wood stove in it ,,,,,FREE HEATING

i was tallking about the bloke from Australia/england
Are u kidding the dole in England-we would starve!! We are teaching but not getting permanent work -trying but its hard...NOT retired still hanging in there about to start a PGCE so I can get more work... maybe if things still keep going the way they are and we inherit finance could think about alternative-either australia or europe- thats the choice- at least we have a choice!! Hopefully will be able to pay a house outright and pay off UK house-hold UK house as pound is strong but who knows just seeing of Tenerife is possible-Have to think of our children too NOT single!

mike in chayofa
16-05-2012, 18:52
Sorry, I can't properley understand your post, but a lot of these things are personal decisions - house insurance, medical insurance, whether to have a car,or not.

Your choices are your decisions.

My choices are my decisions.

Neither are right or wrong, just a case of what is important to an individual.

OK a house may not burn down, but supposing the kitchen had to be replaced? A lot of people, at the moment', can't afford to support themselves adequately. If they weren't insured, where are they likely to get 20.000€ for a new kitchen?

I disagree with your description of an accident too. Most accidents are due to just that 'an accident'

Megaloo
16-05-2012, 19:02
i have a friend who lives in the hills also, in a Canarian house with the thick walls you talk about, She managed to burn her kitchen completely a couple of year back, was she pleased she had insurance so she could have a new kitchen.

Muppet
16-05-2012, 19:11
i have a friend who lives in the hills also, in a Canarian house with the thick walls you talk about, She managed to burn her kitchen completely a couple of year back, was she pleased she had insurance so she could have a new kitchen.

All of which goes to show just how foolhardy and dangerous not insuring your property / posessions can be.

Interested to learn that insurance is, in Thor's opinion, an Amarican thing which he clearly disaproves of, yet tells us he keeps his valuables in a safe room as recommended by the CIA (who of course are not American as we all know)

Simon-M
16-05-2012, 19:16
i spent 20k buying my house

You could of got a cave for free. Quids in mate!

Muppet
16-05-2012, 19:18
He was robbed, he lives in one AND paid money for it !!

Muppet
16-05-2012, 19:23
I AM SOOOO FED UP with this thread .....

Oh good ...

cheery
16-05-2012, 19:55
I was always told that you should insure something you couldn't afford to replace.
As for having no health cover where there is no state system that is just silly.
An accident is an unforeseen occurrence. Slips,tip and falls happen to everyone at some point.

As you seem to be dead set against cars and you keep mentioning mopeds, one thing to consider;

You have to be wary of other road users, on their phones, watching pretty girls, turning talking to their friends. BANG.

These are just my opinions but ones that I will stick by.

Tenerifebot
16-05-2012, 20:23
You could of got a cave for free. Quids in mate!
I agree, 20K amazing! I like the debate on insuring your home-You paid 20K it might not be worth it however if u have invested 200,000 that would be too much too loose and would be foolish not to insure your investment-I Know, I know u are paying for nothing but what would u do if your property was destroyed? With the climate changing, fire is the biggest risk that would take ALL your property not just the kitchen-Sure I want to economize but thats a big risk-I wouldn't want to be homeless.......:confused:

Added after 2 minutes:

I agree, 20K amazing! I like the debate on insuring your home-You paid 20K it might not be worth it however if u have invested 200,000 that would be too much too loose and would be foolish not to insure your investment-I Know, I know u are paying for nothing but what would u do if your property was destroyed? With the climate changing, fire is the biggest risk that would take ALL your property not just the kitchen-Sure I want to economize but thats a big risk-I wouldn't want to be homeless.......:confused:

Now tell me where I can get these 20K homes!!!!

mike in chayofa
16-05-2012, 20:42
.....Now tell me where I can get these 20K homes!!!!

This was a long time ago.

You can still get really cheap ruins, but the cost of bringing them up to date costs a lot.

It all depends on what you expect from life and the lengths that you are prepared to go to.

A lot has been said on this thread about what you need and what you don't. That decision has to be yours and everyone has different values.

I have loads of 'stuff' in my house that certain members would consider uneccessary, but to me they provide a better quality of life.

I enjoy my water filter (no more carrying of numerous heavy bottles)

I enjoy my car (I can go where I want at a moments notice)

Little things like automatic garden irrigation, numerous lighting options (inside and outside), self closing toilet seats ( :ashamed: ), air con, panoramic views etc etc are all important to my way of life. Many others may disagree, but if I want something to enhance my life, I get it.

My life here is not the same as it was in the UK - I don't have two Mercedes in the garage, gardeners and house staff .. but I am far happier than I have ever been.

Muppet
16-05-2012, 21:00
This one if for the OP

I've just noticed an important monthly cost which has been missed off the lists posted by Thor and others...

Autonamo payments ?

cainaries
16-05-2012, 21:55
I dont think it is negative at all-We/the world who ever is in trouble at the moment, probably the worse since 1920's/1930's -so EVERYONE is worrying about social change and austerity-It will pass-we might have to wait till it does-see when the dust settles ad go from there-the problem we have (Some would see it as a blessing) is we dont want to return to australia as its changed (or have we/both) and we dont like it-so we are looking for an alternative as the UK is hard-we love it but it is hard to live here especially compared to what we are used to(cost, size of houses,space and gosh the weather is grim) but it is my home.
I think Tenerife looks like a great place to live however the Euro crisis could ruin everything and ANYTHING could happen-*We have to know the truth* as explained we didn't do it right on Russell island and our stuff is still in a container on the land that has been there for 4 years!! What a mistake....

i do feel sorry for you on certain levels ,but i do feel you will not do anything about this due to the mistake you made in australia, a place with no recession ...good luck for you future and if you every DO come here
PM men

END ...

Added after 2 minutes:

all your posts contain slurs on the spanish . i am starting to find them offensive

Do you know for a fact that all the monies promised by Zapatero after the fire have been paid to La Palma and to the people who lost their homes and bodegas? If so, please tell me who has it because we know people who are still struggling with the authorities to get compensation. Why you find my comment on this fact anti-Spanish is beyond me. I;m talking about Spanish people here who haven't received money promised to them by Zapatero. How do you construe this to be anti-Spanish?

Mike in Chayofa - I apologise for going off-topic again. If someone accuses me of racism, I feel I should have the right to defend myself.

Tenerifebot
16-05-2012, 22:47
This was a long time ago.

You can still get really cheap ruins, but the cost of bringing them up to date costs a lot.

It all depends on what you expect from life and the lengths that you are prepared to go to.

A lot has been said on this thread about what you need and what you don't. That decision has to be yours and everyone has different values.

I have loads of 'stuff' in my house that certain members would consider uneccessary, but to me they provide a better quality of life.

I enjoy my water filter (no more carrying of numerous heavy bottles)

I enjoy my car (I can go where I want at a moments notice)

Little things like automatic garden irrigation, numerous lighting options (inside and outside), self closing toilet seats ( :ashamed: ), air con, panoramic views etc etc are all important to my way of life. Many others may disagree, but if I want something to enhance my life, I get it.

My life here is not the same as it was in the UK - I don't have two Mercedes in the garage, gardeners and house staff .. but I am far happier than I have ever been.

Yes I thought it was 10 years ago, I was just being silly-It is an idea to do up an old cottage but as u said u would have to budget carefully-is there ones at all? where would I look?
I enjoy my water filter (no more carrying of numerous heavy bottles) Not on mains then? Water tanks?

Its good u are happy...great ..so u dont regret the decision then....:c2:

Added after 5 minutes:

This one if for the OP

I've just noticed an important monthly cost which has been missed off the lists posted by Thor and others...

Autonamo payments ?
Sorry; what is that??

cainaries
16-05-2012, 23:08
Tenerifebot;177942]I agree, 20K amazing!

Now tell me where I can get these 20K homes!!!

problem about €40k now ....see 10 walking my dog daily .... one is 1km from the new cross island tourist route - ideal for a b an b for tied germans ....

i nor against cars - i have 220kph sports car ,but i dont NEED it great bus service here ...

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?14501-Can-I-bring-a-UK-registered-car-to-Tenerife-long-term/page2

Without the paperwork they couldn't even claim back from the government subsidies allegedly sent from Madrid (haven't seen much of that money here as it turned out).

Kids break up from school and everything shuts down until they go back again. Crisis what crisis.

the other one was that the 10% taken for scripts would be ´´nicked´´ by the spanish from brits ..

Report me then.

TenerifePool
16-05-2012, 23:48
Now tell me where I can get these 20K homes!!!!

Maybe not 20K, but close. Need to keep an eye daily to be sure not to miss the bargains.

http://www.subastamoscasas.com/inicio/index.aspx

http://masbaratosquelosbancos.com/

There are other sites but those are two that spring to mind.

Here's one for 25K, not exactly picturesque but hey it is 25 grand!
http://masbaratosquelosbancos.com/venta/atico-en-guargacho--tenerife--e_90100903000099.html

Tenerifebot
17-05-2012, 01:01
Maybe not 20K, but close. Need to keep an eye daily to be sure not to miss the bargains.

http://www.subastamoscasas.com/inicio/index.aspx

http://masbaratosquelosbancos.com/

There are other sites but those are two that spring to mind.

Here's one for 25K, not exactly picturesque but hey it is 25 grand!
http://masbaratosquelosbancos.com/venta/atico-en-guargacho--tenerife--e_90100903000099.html

Amazing-very good value-Gee if I sold my boat I could swap for one! What expenses would a flat like this incur-I presume there is rates of council tax of some sort? Wjat other expenses are there-cheers for the links-very good-cheers

Muppet
17-05-2012, 11:17
thats for the self employed .....???

That's absolutely correct.

I was trying to think a little outside the box for the OP.

Somewhere, way back when, Tenerifebot mentioned he and I think his wife were artists. So, with a million beautiful landscapes and sunsets available on the island, it occured to me that he could look to see whether there was a market on the island for his art.

Could be that, with a bit of research as to the correct area, he could earn a bit of a living, which of course could go some way to filling any financial gaps in his plans. Maybe top that up with some private teaching?

The only real issue I can see would be that it would require him to register as self employed, but on the positive side this would also help sort out his health-care concerns until he reaches state retirement age - whatever that may be at the time!!

Not only that, but as autonamo (depending on the impending rule changes) he could add other members of his family as dependents.

Personally I haven't and experience with self-employment here, but I figured some advice from you for the OP based on your costs of being self employed and how it works could be helpful and what else he might need to cost in and consider like public liability insurances and that kind of thing?

janes
17-05-2012, 11:52
Personally I haven't and experience with self-employment here, but I figured some advice from you for the OP based on your costs of being self employed and how it works could be helpful and what else he might need to cost in and consider like public liability insurances and that kind of thing?

You don't honestly believe he pays the correct tax, if any at all, do you? :crazy:

Tenerifebot
17-05-2012, 13:13
That's absolutely correct.

I was trying to think a little outside the box for the OP.

Somewhere, way back when, Tenerifebot mentioned he and I think his wife were artists. So, with a million beautiful landscapes and sunsets available on the island, it occured to me that he could look to see whether there was a market on the island for his art.

Could be that, with a bit of research as to the correct area, he could earn a bit of a living, which of course could go some way to filling any financial gaps in his plans. Maybe top that up with some private teaching?

The only real issue I can see would be that it would require him to register as self employed, but on the positive side this would also help sort out his health-care concerns until he reaches state retirement age - whatever that may be at the time!!

Not only that, but as autonamo (depending on the impending rule changes) he could add other members of his family as dependents.

Actually not a bad idea-with teaching combined we could supplement income as my wife is a music teacher-could do lessons for British kids as well as Spanish. Also could paint the dream for tourists to take back with them! OR there must be galleries on the island/s? The light would be fantastic...very good idea never thought of it-obvious really...Is there a tax threshold level-I think in UK its £9000?? Do u have to declare income and put in a tax return? is there tax agents on the island that are english?
I am really thinking this could be possible- I will have a look at all the posts so far and re do my costings-If there is anyone else who would like to post their expenses do so!!
But I am thinking hard about my art practice now..very good idea!!:c2:

janes
17-05-2012, 16:59

Being self employed can you tell us what kind of fees you pay and what the taxes on earnings are like?
Are you issued a registration number to prove that you are legal and if so, what's your registration number?

I'm sure this would help the OP with their decision on relocation. :tiphat:

DonnaFranka
17-05-2012, 19:00
The reason I am doing such extensive research is I need to know if it is possible (make sure) I am glad u are so confident for us to come over however we tried this in 2007 on russell island in australia-SEE
http://www.russellisland.com.au/
Looks good doesn't! Well it aint!! Its awful-full of ferals-SEE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_%28subculture%29
and russell island is FULL of them.
(wild people) biting Midges, flooding

and it was a complete disaster because I didn't research it and just hoped for the best as we thought we know it! So that cant happen again-

Hiya again...

We live on a wonderful island.....no snakes or skorpions and very few mosquitos...loads of ants though......one of the reasons we chose here to live 17yrs ago and not Australia was because of the insect life and snakes that are out there.

We are really blessed to live here...all things considered :wave:

Added after 11 minutes:

Wish we were all as lucky as you Satellite...maybe when the kids and cats have left our abode and hubby and I are free we will come and try out your village..wherever it is !!!! :wave:

TenerifePool
17-05-2012, 20:33
Amazing-very good value-Gee if I sold my boat I could swap for one! What expenses would a flat like this incur-I presume there is rates of council tax of some sort? Wjat other expenses are there-cheers for the links-very good-cheers

I've just checked with a friend who lives in the same village and he pays rates (IBI) of just under 100€ per year, rubbish collection (basura) of 60€ per year and community (4 apartments and 2 local's in the block) of 9€ per month.

janes
17-05-2012, 20:55

Being self employed can you tell us what kind of fees you pay and what the taxes on earnings are like?
Are you issued a registration number to prove that you are legal and if so, what's your registration number?

I'm sure this would help the OP with their decision on relocation. :tiphat:

I take it that working without proper documentation and registration is acceptable to you then, seeing as no response to my question is forthcoming.
Is it any wonder why the island is in such dire straits when many like you refuse to pay any tax on income and then have the gall to complain.
By advertising your services on here, leaving evidence of your crime all over the internet so blatantly and then being so vociferous is either very brave or very silly.
I think in any society, it's only fair to pay something if you expect something in return. Simple logic really, but then you already knew that.

janes
17-05-2012, 21:21
i have reported that ,you cant go round saying people commit illegal acts without any evidence . :nono:
if you want to know i am employed in a computer shop for 15 hours a week ,this pays my stamp ...the fact i never ´work ´ inside the shop and work from home filling orders for his customers is 100% legal .. maybe i need to get a hat saying ím at work ...

Added after 3 minutes:

you are quoting yourself .... ???

And I have also reported you to the authorities for them to investigate further.
What was the name of that computer shop in Oratava again?
Fortunate that my brother in law works in the tax office.

Good luck dear.

Tenerifebot
17-05-2012, 21:47
Hiya again...

We live on a wonderful island.....no snakes or skorpions and very few mosquitos...loads of ants though......one of the reasons we chose here to live 17yrs ago and not Australia was because of the insect life and snakes that are out there.

We are really blessed to live here...all things considered :wave:

Added after 11 minutes:

Wish we were all as lucky as you Satellite...maybe when the kids and cats have left our abode and hubby and I are free we will come and try out your village..wherever it is !!!! :wave:

Sounds good about the wildlife-we are used to ants such as Bull ants about 2 cm long with pincers and when they bite your ankle blows up twice the size!! And Jumping Jacks, that hop about 3 feet and also have a painful bite-OH yes are there any Termites (white ants) on the islands? We have experienced those too and they can eat through a house in a few months-u can hear them munching through the walls!!!:idea:

Tenerifebot
17-05-2012, 21:54
I've just checked with a friend who lives in the same village and he pays rates (IBI) of just under 100€ per year, rubbish collection (basura) of 60€ per year and community (4 apartments and 2 local's in the block) of 9€ per month.
Again really good-Sorry is it somewhat near the coast? I think it 1 bedroom but I would have to look further.

TenerifePool
17-05-2012, 22:30
Again really good-Sorry is it somewhat near the coast? I think it 1 bedroom but I would have to look further.

Less than 5 minutes drive from Las Galletas

Tenerifebot
17-05-2012, 23:13
Less than 5 minutes drive from Las Galletas
It is near the coast! It is awfully reasonable-Is there a catch? Russell island was is cheap also but it is awful-no future and no proper infrastructure-and full of "wild" people-as explained-

TenerifePool
17-05-2012, 23:30
It is near the coast! It is awfully reasonable-Is there a catch? Russell island was is cheap also but it is awful-no future and no proper infrastructure-and full of "wild" people-as explained-

I'm there right now having a beer with a couple of friends. It is what it is, a Spanish working village. The only catch is that the prices shown on this and other websites reflect the REALITY of the property market here at the moment.

I'm no expert, the only advice that I can give to you is look long and hard before parting with any money and base your decisions on reality, rather than what people with their own agenda want you to believe. There are some fantastic bargains here at the moment for those who look for them.

Tenerifebot
17-05-2012, 23:42
I'm there right now having a beer with a couple of friends. It is what it is, a Spanish working village. The only catch is that the prices shown on this and other websites reflect the REALITY of the property market here at the moment.

I'm no expert, the only advice that I can give to you is look long and hard before parting with any money and base your decisions on reality, rather than what people with their own agenda want you to believe. There are some fantastic bargains here at the moment for those who look for them.
Sounds great, so u are there at the moment! It looks a lovely place-I bet its warm! I can see the property market is down so that reflects the market-Do u know if there is any B & B's reasonably priced in the area that we as a family could stay?:eyebrows:

janes
18-05-2012, 07:19
can you name it ...
and even if you live like me in the mountain still till only 30 min by bus to the sea

Moral of the story is.................

You don't have to live in a cave to live cheap.;)

ps.Say hi to Wilma for me!

Muppet
18-05-2012, 09:43
need a cace to store all my greek euros ...:spin:
just checked the exchange rate one GR europe is equal to one NEWCASTLE euro ..
on the la la land stock exchange
:tiphat:

Cace = cave or case ??

and

What on earth is a GR europe ??

Anyhoo, back sort of on topic, do we yet know how much the OP and family should budget for self-employment costs should he/they move to the island ahead of retirement and look to supplement his/their income through undertaking a few artistic commissions and music teaching?

You, Thor, obviously cheat the system by being employed by a mate, but even that has a cost implication since presumably your "mate" still has to pay some social security and tax for you as well as insurances, otherwise the works inspectorate would be on his/your back.

I am very confused too - way back when you told us you did not need health cover because of your fitness regime, your carefully chosen diet and your abstinance from drinking and smoking - all of which, as I believe I said before, is very commendable, however if you do have a proper work contract you are therefore IN the health system and can use it as and when required. My confusion stems mainly from you advising the OP not to consider taking private health insurance (or any others) out if he were to move here. Seems a bit of do as I say, rather than do as I actually do.

The OP came on here seeking advice from the forum, if I were seeking genuine advice for good reason I would be becoming quite concerned about what I'm reading from you. Most other posters appear to disagree, some vehamently, with what you say.

Scary

lala land may well exist, but I'm thinking its you living there .....

Muppet
18-05-2012, 10:58
glad we are back on the subject ....
Anywoo??? i will continue ... ´´obviously cheat the system by being employed by a mate :nono:(REPORTED) - again you dont know anything about life - ´´still has to pay some social security ´´....yes that is the whole point he PAYS MY STAMP he dont pay me any money .and its for my PENSION here ...
its a common legal practise

who are you ..:zorro: i dont even know if you have ever been to tenerife . you could be a somali refuge in a bedit in barking for all we know on here ...

Right, OK, maybe it is common legal practice, and OK it is perhaps toward your pension, and frankly I couldn't care less whether you are paid for your "efforts" by your "mate" .....

The question is, and remains, for the benefit of the OP, how much should he add to his weekly/monthly costs of living here. That was his question, and presumably you know how much it costs your "mate" or how much it would cost the OP to make a similar arrangement ??

As for who I am, it is none of your business. I take great exception to your comments "you could be a somali refuge in a bedit in barking for all we know on here" - firstly, I presume you mean a bedsit - never heard of a bedit before, and I have already told you that I live here and have done for some time. You have a really serious attitude problem and maybe should consider seeking some advice!

Here is your challenge. Provide a simple answer to the question without resorting to sarcasm and shouting - dare you - bet you can't .. prove me wrong

Suej
18-05-2012, 12:20
glad we are back on the subject ....
Anywoo??? i will continue ... ´´obviously cheat the system by being employed by a mate :nono:(REPORTED) - again you dont know anything about life - ´´still has to pay some social security ´´....yes that is the whole point he PAYS MY STAMP he dont pay me any money .and its for my PENSION here ...
its a common legal practise

who are you ..:zorro: i dont even know if you have ever been to tenerife . you could be a somali refuge in a bedit in barking for all we know on here ...

Seriously Satellite I think you do need to change your attitude! Throwing insults and condescending remarks about will not earn you or your posts any respect and please stop talking to members as though they only possess 3 brain cells! It's not nice and it's not clever! Rant over!:respect:

Tenerifebot
18-05-2012, 15:13
so the least i can do is ask some basic questions about your name rank and serial number will do ....i have no idea if you have anything to hide ...how can we tell :zorro:

my advice to the OP is to listen to the men who work here day in and day out ...
they know something about life and how to make it in tenerfie ...
I'm listening.....:pray:

janes
18-05-2012, 15:53
my advice to the OP is to listen to the men who work here day in and day out ...
they know something about life and how to avoid paying any tax in tenerfie ...

We've already surmised that from your previous posts.

Tenerifebot, whatever you do, make sure you stay on the right side of the law because these things have a habit of catching up with you at the most unexpected times.
This is even more so when the government is strapped for cash and will do anything to slap you with a fine. :)

janes
18-05-2012, 17:19
please i am not a god even though I drugs...

Not interested in what you do with your leisure time to be honest.

i let it go the first time,but have taken some imodium so that I don't mess myself again

You really should seek medical advice or you'll have to start buying Pampers soon.

I know Im invold in criminal activity but I cant help it

Maybe get some counselling for this awful habit of yours. It could be a life changing experience to start living like a normal person.

Tenerifebot
18-05-2012, 17:28
We've already surmised that from your previous posts.

Tenerifebot, whatever you do, make sure you stay on the right side of the law because these things have a habit of catching up with you at the most unexpected times.
This is even more so when the government is strapped for cash and will do anything to slap you with a fine. :)

I am not sure what you are on about? We are on the right side of the law! I did say we are teachers but I haven't sold any art for ages, we contribute NI but its been only 8 years so I dont think we will make 30 years-I wouldn't fiddle with any tax issues as whats due is due I am afraid and tax is taken out automatically-The best bet is to get a tax accountant if u are self employed-In australia u have to put in a tax return every financial year whether u are self employed or not.

Now lets get back to the cost of living project and could we stick to the topic if thats OK-Now lets look again at this health issue-is the health system on Tenerife the same as the NHS (AT PRESENT) that is is it free?
IF it is NOT what are the costs involved-If we have to take out private insurance which does happen in australia what are the costs involved so I can add it to my calculations-Private health and health in general is a real issue in the USA and is probable responsible for me being english as my dad sent my mum over to have me on the NHS!!!!!! I should have been American-:laugh:

Leam_Lin
18-05-2012, 17:30
What is this all about?

Added after 3 minutes:

Not interested in what you do with your leisure time to be honest.

You really should seek medical advice or you'll have to start buying Pampers soon.

Maybe get some counselling for this awful habit of yours. It could be a life changing experience to start living like a normal person.

What is this all about - lots of drivel.

Tenerifebot
18-05-2012, 17:38
What is this all about?

Added after 3 minutes:

What is this all about - lots of drivel.
Sorry the posts have gone off topic-if u refer to my 1st post u might want to include your expenses as this is the information I need to know about coming to Tenerife to live on the island/s and see if it is possible-So any more input would be gratefully received.

janes
18-05-2012, 17:43
I am not sure what you are on about? We are on the right side of the law! I did say we are teachers but I haven't sold any art for ages, we contribute NI but its been only 8 years so I dont think we will make 30 years-I wouldn't fiddle with any tax issues as whats due is due I am afraid and tax is taken out automatically-The best bet is to get a tax accountant if u are self employed-In australia u have to put in a tax return every financial year whether u are self employed or not.

Now lets get back to the cost of living project and could we stick to the topic if thats OK-Now lets look again at this health issue-is the health system on Tenerife the same as the NHS (AT PRESENT) that is is it free?
IF it is NOT what are the costs involved-If we have to take out private insurance which does happen in australia what are the costs involved so I can add it to my calculations-Private health and health in general is a real issue in the USA and is probable responsible for me being english as my dad sent my mum over to have me on the NHS!!!!!! I should have been American-:laugh:

I'm just saying that if you do decide to move to Tenerife, don't allow people to convince you of any shortcuts as it happens all the time. :spin:

Added after 2 minutes:

Sorry the posts have gone off topic-if u refer to my 1st post u might want to include your expenses as this is the information I need to know about coming to Tenerife to live on the island/s and see if it is possible-So any more input would be gratefully received.

Yes you're right, go ahead Leam Lin, give us a rundown of your expenses as it would be nice to get you involved in this thread a bit more.

Tenerifebot
18-05-2012, 17:50
I'm just saying that if you do decide to move to Tenerife, don't allow people to convince you of any shortcuts as it happens all the time. :spin:

Added after 2 minutes:

Yes you're right, go ahead Leam Lin, give us a rundown of your expenses as it would be nice to get you involved in this thread a bit more.

No I wouldn't do any shortcuts-I dont like doing that-What u need to do is to budget for expenditure -I am sure if u are smart and calculate outgoings even on a fixed income u will survive-It would be nice to have plenty of money but I think I will have to be realistic and make do with what I have-things are tough now so the job-for-life ideal has been taken by the baby boomers and left us with nothing.........

Muppet
18-05-2012, 17:51

She meant that it is imperative to stay on the right side of the law here in Tenerife.

Employment law is complicated and confusing, especially to those used to the UK system for example. How it works is far too complicated to explain in a simple reply, the costs of staying on the right side of the law can be significant in comparison to earnings potential, but it is all too easy to recommend "work arounds" when the consequences when caught can be severe.

It is a shame that Thor (Satellite's previous name before being banned) cannot provide some traightforward unbiased advice to posters on this forum who pop in to ask simple questions. Instead, he earns his "credibility" but hurling abuse and trying to be funny - both of which he isn't particularly good at.

God help anyone who takes his advice.

janes
18-05-2012, 18:29
Thanks Muppet, I do have difficulty explaining myself most times.
Much appreciated. :)

Tenerifebot
18-05-2012, 18:44
She meant that it is imperative to stay on the right side of the law here in Tenerife.

Employment law is complicated and confusing, especially to those used to the UK system for example. How it works is far too complicated to explain in a simple reply, the costs of staying on the right side of the law can be significant in comparison to earnings potential, but it is all too easy to recommend "work arounds" when the consequences when caught can be severe.

It is a shame that Thor (Satellite's previous name before being banned) cannot provide some traightforward unbiased advice to posters on this forum who pop in to ask simple questions. Instead, he earns his "credibility" but hurling abuse and trying to be funny - both of which he isn't particularly good at.

God help anyone who takes his advice.
Is this a Spanish thing? How can it be complicated? I thought u simply pay 22% tax on income but is that too easy? I would be domicile Spain so it would be Spanish tax not UK-What are we looking at? Is it worse than the UK? What I want to know is if say your income is £9600 per year what is the tax liability? Do u have to lodge a tax return if it is from rent? Is there a personal allowance where u dont have to declare earnings?

Megaloo
18-05-2012, 18:47
I have followed this to a certain extent but not all so may have missed some calculations, so correct me if I am wrong but not sure whether tax on any earnings has been mentioned whether working as self employed or for somebody else. This of course will also have to be deducted as well as paying Social Security . Even us as Pensioners have this to consider .

Tenerifebot
18-05-2012, 18:58
I have followed this to a certain extent but not all so may have missed some calculations, so correct me if I am wrong but not sure whether tax on any earnings has been mentioned whether working as self employed or for somebody else. This of course will also have to be deducted as well as paying Social Security . Even us as Pensioners have this to consider .
Your kidding??!!-U dont pay as a pensioner for social security do u? No tax on earnings exactly has not been mentioned or self employed etc-It has been mentioned but no calculations at this stage-If it is huge taxation then Tenerifes position at no. 1 compared to the UK and australia could diminish somewhat-Will taxes increase due to the Euro crisis? I would like to bring in the USA as well but one thing at a time!!

Megaloo
18-05-2012, 19:06
Your kidding??!!-U dont pay as a pensioner for social security do u? No tax on earnings exactly has not been mentioned or self employed etc-It has been mentioned but no calculations at this stage-If it is huge taxation then Tenerifes position at no. 1 compared to the UK and australia could diminish somewhat-Will taxes increase due to the Euro crisis? I would like to bring in the USA as well but one thing at a time!!

No we do not pay Social we get Health Care free as we paid into system for many years in England, But tax on Income yes not sure on figures but I think if a pensioner has more than 11.900 Euros a year then you are taxed, but someone else who knows more perhaps can help, also it does not apply to me because I have no investments here but I know my friend pays tax on her bank interest and she is a pensioner.

I know a lot of people do try to cheat the system as a lot of their income is cash in hand, but it is possible they could catch and have done on some people.

So my motto is just be honest and nobody can catch you . I can sleep in my bed well at night.

Tenerifebot
18-05-2012, 19:15
No we do not pay Social we get Health Care free as we paid into system for many years in England, But tax on Income yes not sure on figures but I think if a pensioner has more than 11.900 Euros a year then you are taxed, but someone else who knows more perhaps can help, also it does not apply to me because I have no investments here but I know my friend pays tax on her bank interest and she is a pensioner.

I know a lot of people do try to cheat the system as a lot of their income is cash in hand, but it is possible they could catch and have done on some people.

So my motto is just be honest and nobody can catch you . I can sleep in my bed well at night.

I am more interested in what u mean you have been paying into the system to get free health care!! I dont know what u mean here-Do u mean NI contributions or tax or both? Do u need to be in the UK for 30 years to get free health cover in Spain? If thats the case that has changed everything as we have only been back 8 years. Isn't there a European Health Card? or something like that?
What other concessions do you get as a pensioner? Fuel allowance, free public transport, concessions? what about ambulance cover?

I am glad as a pensioner u dont pay SS.Yeah I sleep well too...no problems there... believe me!

Megaloo
18-05-2012, 19:38
I am more interested in what u mean you have been paying into the system to get free health care!! I dont know what u mean here-Do u mean NI contributions or tax or both? Do u need to be in the UK for 30 years to get free health cover in Spain? If thats the case that has changed everything as we have only been back 8 years. Isn't there a European Health Card? or something like that?
What other concessions do you get as a pensioner? Fuel allowance, free public transport, concessions? what about ambulance cover?

I am glad as a pensioner u dont pay SS.Yeah I sleep well too...no problems there... believe me!

We paid into the UK system which gives us our free Health cover, and of course our pension but there are no free buses here but you use a Bono on the bus so get 40% discount
I do have a car as my Husband is disabled so could not manage a bus. But once you live over here you cannot claim Attendance allowance or carers allowance, although I think the rules have changed now for people coming now. But we do not qualify.
I went to a Consulate semina meeting a few weeks ago and they have some leaflets on what you can get help with, and also how long you have to be here paying into the system to get a Spanish Pension and Health Cover so maybe you could contact them for these leaflets.

Added after 21 minutes:

We paid into the UK system which gives us our free Health cover, and of course our pension but there are no free buses here but you use a Bono on the bus so get 40% discount
I do have a car as my Husband is disabled so could not manage a bus. But once you live over here you cannot claim Attendance allowance or carers allowance, although I think the rules have changed now for people coming now. But we do not qualify.
I went to a Consulate semina meeting a few weeks ago and they have some leaflets on what you can get help with, and also how long you have to be here paying into the system to get a Spanish Pension and Health Cover so maybe you could contact them for these leaflets.

We also paid our taxes but that is not to be confused with National Health this is separate. Tax is what you pay on your earned and unearned income. PAYE or self assessment.

I am not good at explaining so perhpas somebody can do it better than me.

Tenerifebot
18-05-2012, 20:30

Added after 21 minutes:

We also paid our taxes but that is not to be confused with National Health this is separate. Tax is what you pay on your earned and unearned income. PAYE or self assessment.

I am not good at explaining so perhpas somebody can do it better than me.
Yes PAYE thats what we do-as for the Spanish pension-it would be a bonus as we will get the australian pension which is VERY generous well at least compared to the UK- I think it is around £350 per week per couple-actually the USA is better than that-we should have stayed there!!
Bye the way for those missing England it is raining AGAIN:cry:today-it has been an awful spring and quite a cold winter-probably need to come over just to get Vitamin D!
Do u know the address of the Consulate or what it is called exactly as I will look up-

Sundowner
18-05-2012, 22:40
Yes PAYE thats what we do-as for the Spanish pension-it would be a bonus as we will get the australian pension which is VERY generous well at least compared to the UK- I think it is around £350 per week per couple-actually the USA is better than that-we should have stayed there!!
Bye the way for those missing England it is raining AGAIN:cry:today-it has been an awful spring and quite a cold winter-probably need to come over just to get Vitamin D!
Do u know the address of the Consulate or what it is called exactly as I will look up-

£350 A WEEK............http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/sa/seniors/payments/Pages/pension_changes.aspx

Maybe I am missing something???

Tenerifebot
19-05-2012, 00:51
£350 A WEEK............http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/sa/seniors/payments/Pages/pension_changes.aspx

I think you are missing the right website which is Centrelink @
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/age_rates.htm
Couple $524.10* each
OK so exactly $524.10 + the supplement which is $90.80 a fortnight for couples ($45.90 per week) which is a total of $570 which is £ 354.60-OK I lied its more than £350 then!!!
Double check but I am sure I am right! australia is generous compared to what u get in the UK......:cheeky:

Added after 6 minutes:

and a couple the full pension is worth up to £204.30? (the UK pension) is there anything else?

Tenerifebot
19-05-2012, 22:26
Couple $524.10* each
OK so exactly $524.10 + the supplement which is $90.80 a fortnight for couples ($45.90 per week) which is a total of $570 which is £ 354.60-OK I lied its more than £350 then!!!
Double check but I am sure I am right! australia is generous compared to what u get in the UK......:cheeky:

Added after 6 minutes:

and a couple the full pension is worth up to £204.30? (the UK pension) is there anything else?
OK the final calculations based on what people have posted is as follows(per week):
1. Gas:£1.25 (1.55 Euro)
2. Electricity: £10.47(12.96 Euro)
3. Council Tax: £1.44(1.78 Euro)
4. House insurance; £7(8.66 Euro)
5. Water: £3.82(4.73 Euro)
6. Food: £65(80.43 Euro)
7. Car tax disc:£0.64(0.79 Euro)
8. Internet/phone:£11.31(14 Euro)
9. Car insurance:£5.45(6.74 Euro)
10. Petrol:£18.48 135 miles a week (22.87 Euro)
11. Rubbish collection:£1.03(1.27 Euro)
12. Health costs FREE or insurance?:£????

TOTAL:£125.89-Tenerife
TOTAL:£232.24-UK beds
TOTAL:£227.21-australia:melbourne

As an extra I will find out what expenses are on Magnetic Island Queensland as this will be cheaper than melbourne.
Now with petrol we wont be traveling 135 miles a week so that will be less and could be put towards health costs if needed. is there anyone who has come to Tenerife who is not retired and gets free health care? What about prescription costs such as asthma sprays anti biotics other medicines?:wink2:
Ps for overall standards we would be if retired:
UK would be -£28 (that is minus)
Aus-melbourne +£128.19
Tenerife +£220

Tenerifebot
20-05-2012, 12:17
OK the final calculations based on what people have posted is as follows(per week):
1. Gas:£1.25 (1.55 Euro)
2. Electricity: £10.47(12.96 Euro)
3. Council Tax: £1.44(1.78 Euro)
4. House insurance; £7(8.66 Euro)
5. Water: £3.82(4.73 Euro)
6. Food: £65(80.43 Euro)
7. Car tax disc:£0.64(0.79 Euro)
8. Internet/phone:£11.31(14 Euro)
9. Car insurance:£5.45(6.74 Euro)
10. Petrol:£18.48 135 miles a week (22.87 Euro)
11. Rubbish collection:£1.03(1.27 Euro)
12. Health costs FREE or insurance?:£????

TOTAL:£125.89-Tenerife
TOTAL:£232.24-UK beds
TOTAL:£227.21-australia:melbourne

As an extra I will find out what expenses are on Magnetic Island Queensland as this will be cheaper than melbourne.
Now with petrol we wont be traveling 135 miles a week so that will be less and could be put towards health costs if needed. is there anyone who has come to Tenerife who is not retired and gets free health care? What about prescription costs such as asthma sprays anti biotics other medicines?:wink2:
Ps for overall standards we would be if retired:
UK would be -£28 (that is minus)
Aus-melbourne +£128.19
Tenerife +£220

Just thought of something:

Mobile phone?

Harmonicaman
20-05-2012, 12:31
Couple $524.10* each

It's not per week, it's per fortnight...
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture2-1.png

Tenerifebot
20-05-2012, 13:04
It's not per week, it's per fortnight...
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture2-1.png

I think it means $524.10 each per couple per fortnight which is $524.10 a week then -if not a couple would be worst off than a single which is $347.65-if x2 singles we would get $695.30 a week so we are worse off being married!eek2:

Muppet
20-05-2012, 15:28
I think I've said this before, or at least intimated at it, but .....

It strikes me that you (OP) should be concentrating on getting some of the basics of your plans sorted before even considering the price of fish, or to be more precise the cost of a bottle of gas or unit of electricity down to the last cent.

BUT

Are you sure your Aus pension is 500 plus dollars a WEEK (300 ish pounds a week) EACH - and that you are already entitled to it at this rate, and there is an arrangement in place for it to be transferred to the Canary Islands??

If so, what the hell are you worrying about ??

Other things for your list

Community fees (on the assumption your future home will be an apartment or villa which is part of a Community - most are. These can be anything from 100 to 300 euro a month depending on what is included, how big the pool is, whether it is heated etc etc.

Assuming you are not on a community, but buy a stand alone villa, then budget in running costs for your pool (it is sure to have one), chemicals, electricity for pumps, maybe even heating?

Suej
20-05-2012, 16:05
What about...
Repairs and maintenance to your property/decorating etc...
Repairs and maintenance and servicing of your car.
The odd night out.
Dentist
Clothing for the family
Hairdressers
The list is endless and all cost money!

Tenerifebot
20-05-2012, 17:03
I think I've said this before, or at least intimated at it, but .....

It strikes me that you (OP) should be concentrating on getting some of the basics of your plans sorted before even considering the price of fish, or to be more precise the cost of a bottle of gas or unit of electricity down to the last cent.

BUT

Are you sure your Aus pension is 500 plus dollars a WEEK (300 ish pounds a week) EACH - and that you are already entitled to it at this rate, and there is an arrangement in place for it to be transferred to the Canary Islands??

If so, what the hell are you worrying about ??

Other things for your list

Community fees (on the assumption your future home will be an apartment or villa which is part of a Community - most are. These can be anything from 100 to 300 euro a month depending on what is included, how big the pool is, whether it is heated etc etc.

Assuming you are not on a community, but buy a stand alone villa, then budget in running costs for your pool (it is sure to have one), chemicals, electricity for pumps, maybe even heating?
Its OK Muppet-U are right- of course I am seeing if 1st we can live in Tenerife which has been now confirmed as yes; the next stages will involve visiting for a "feel" of the island to see if it still in top spot- australia definitely has an social security agreement with Spain but I would have to confirm what that exactly means-
According to Centrelink it does appear to be £ 300 or so a week but of course the exchange rate could alter as at one point the aussie dollar was worth 33p now it around 62p so that could be a problem-
Most likely we would require an independent house with a 600 sqmetre garden if possible? NEVER had a pool even in australia but would be nice!:wow:

Added after 6 minutes:

What about...
Repairs and maintenance to your property/decorating etc...
Repairs and maintenance and servicing of your car.
The odd night out.
Dentist
Clothing for the family
Hairdressers
The list is endless and all cost money!
Sure; but I am just calculating essential living costs at this stage-I am still not quite understanding the health situation.....

mike in chayofa
20-05-2012, 17:18
Most likely we would require an independent house with a 600 sqmetre garden if possible? NEVER had a pool even in australia but would be nice!:wow:

I can't remember whether you are considering buying or renting, but this will cost a lot of money either way.

In the south an affordable property will probably be in the middle of nowhere. Most of the ideal homes are in far from ideal locations.

In the north, to get a sea view, the probability is that the house will face north - not ideal.

Swimming pools - a nice idea, but the time and cost to maintain them is considerable. Even with our climate you will need to heat it (or not use, in which case it still has to be cleaned and maintained anyway) for a good 6 months of the year.

You are asking all the right questions, but as you do not know the island or whether you will like it, too many details may confuse.

Megaloo
20-05-2012, 17:22
Not sure regarding the Health situation here except if you come here before you are a pensioner then i am sure you will have to either be privately insured or pay into the system here if you are working, otherwise you will not get health care for nothing (not like arriving in England) and getting it free.

If you come here as a pensioner and have been paying NI in England for a number of years then it probably will be free like we are, but I lived in England all my life so am well covered. I am sure someone else will come along with more information.

Muppet
20-05-2012, 17:51
Re health.

I may be wrong here and stand corrected.

IF as you say you will be entitled to a full Aus pension in this country already, then you would be entitled to the full recpricol Aus Health care once you reach retirmement ages in Australia. If not, you might have to move back to Aus for a while, transfer your UK years of credits to the Aus system, then come here with full credits. That said, I have no idea what you need to do or how to arrange all this - that's your problem.

Until you retire, or reach retirement age you will not be entitled to free general medical care here unless you are working full time, or self employed. Since our "friend" hasnt been of much help with this question, I've found out a bit about how it works for you - this is not necessarily complete information and may not be spot on, but roughly ...

If you land yourself a part-time job where your employer gives you an official contract then you are in the health system. However, with 33% unemployment and worse to come, that is, frankly unlikely, especially with no launguage skills. There is even less chance of landing a full time job for the same reasons.

It is thought that the Government is about to insist that in order to live here permanently (over 3 months) you must either have a full time contract or insurance - some may argue this is against the principle of the EU - and perhaps it is - but these are difficult times. Without a "Residencia" they could theoretically deport you as well.

So, you can either register as self employed and pay the "stamp" or take out some form of medical insurance policy - fees for self-employment are circa 240 - 280 euro a month per person (approx 20 quid in UK) - I have no idea what insurance would cost - but I would imagine a family policy would be similar if not more. There are other fees for self-emplyed as well, like accountants and so on.

Hopw this helps

Megaloo
20-05-2012, 17:56
I knew somebody could put it in better words than myself. Thanks

Tenerifebot
20-05-2012, 17:56
I can't remember whether you are considering buying or renting, but this will cost a lot of money either way.

In the south an affordable property will probably be in the middle of nowhere. Most of the ideal homes are in far from ideal locations.

In the north, to get a sea view, the probability is that the house will face north - not ideal.

Swimming pools - a nice idea, but the time and cost to maintain them is considerable. Even with our climate you will need to heat it (or not use, in which case it still has to be cleaned and maintained anyway) for a good 6 months of the year.

You are asking all the right questions, but as you do not know the island or whether you will like it, too many details may confuse.

We would buy outright-would like a location where winter temperature is the highest as long as the area isn't rough or too crowded-we would have to come over and check with your help in finding out where house prices r reasonable and I said the warmest in the winter months but we might have to balance that...as u state: an affordable property will probably be in the middle of nowhere
However it is looking good....

Muppet
20-05-2012, 18:04
Start here

http://www.astliz.com/
http://www.delmargigantes.net/
http://www.tenerifepropertysales.com/

and many, many, many more

Tenerifebot
20-05-2012, 18:10
Re health.

IF as you say you will be entitled to a full Aus pension in this country already, then you would be entitled to the full recpricol Aus Health care once you reach retirmement ages in Australia. If not, you might have to move back to Aus for a while, transfer your UK years of credits to the Aus system, then come here with full credits. That said, I have no idea what you need to do or how to arrange all this - that's your problem.

Until you retire, or reach retirement age you will not be entitled to free general medical care here unless you are working full time, or self employed. Since our "friend" hasnt been of much help with this question, I've found out a bit about how it works for you - this is not necessarily complete information and may not be spot on, but roughly ...

If you land yourself a part-time job where your employer gives you an official contract then you are in the health system. However, with 33% unemployment and worse to come, that is, frankly unlikely, especially with no launguage skills. There is even less chance of landing a full time job for the same reasons.

It is thought that the Government is about to insist that in order to live here permanently (over 3 months) you must either have a full time contract or insurance - some may argue this is against the principle of the EU - and perhaps it is - but these are difficult times. Without a "Residencia" they could theoretically deport you as well.

So, you can either register as self employed and pay the "stamp" or take out some form of medical insurance policy - fees for self-employment are circa 240 - 280 euro a month per person (approx 20 quid in UK) - I have no idea what insurance would cost - but I would imagine a family policy would be similar if not more. There are other fees for self-emplyed as well, like accountants and so on.

Hopw this helps

It does help indeed-U mention "full credits" what exactly is that-I jave lived in australia for 38 years but health care in under the Medicare system and is not exactly free but u pay for the doctor and is free for pensioners as "bulk billing" so with the arrangement is like for like transfer from australia to Spain then the conditions must be the same I should think with the social security agreement, BUT if we come before retirement then we could be in trouble as u suggest and this will blow the budget as health insurance is VERY expensive.
I could discuss with UK if we can transfer australian credits to the UK system as what is the point of working here , paying NI for what?? If we can then we will be credited with NI contributions of 30 -however I am British under the EU I thought it was free anyway as I am a European citizen-if NOT I will appeal to either Spain or England for there response-as this is against human right and European mobility!!

Re health.

Hopw this helps

It does help indeed-U mention "full credits" what exactly is that-I jave lived in australia for 38 years but health care in under the Medicare system and is not exactly free but u pay for the doctor and is free for pensioners as "bulk billing" so with the arrangement is like for like transfer from australia to Spain then the conditions must be the same I should think with the social security agreement, BUT if we come before retirement then we could be in trouble as u suggest and this will blow the budget as health insurance is VERY expensive.
I could discuss with UK if we can transfer australian credits to the UK system as what is the point of working here , paying NI for what?? If we can then we will be credited with NI contributions of 30 -however I am British under the EU I thought it was free anyway as I am a European citizen-if NOT I will appeal to either Spain or England for there response-as this is against human right and European mobility!!

Muppet
20-05-2012, 18:23

I have no idea - in the UK now it is 30 full years of contributions

Good luck with your appeal !! Healthcare is only free if you are an active contributor to the system of the country you live in or when you become the responsibility of the state when you reach the legal retirement age (not when you fancy giving up work).

Retired and living in Spain
We know that many British residents are here enjoying their retirement. Due to an EEA-wide agreement, if you’re in receipt of a UK State Pension, long-term Incapacity Benefit or Bereavement Benefit, you’re covered for state-run health care in Spain. You need to register for this by applying for an S1 form (previously E121) from the International Pension Centre (IPC). Dependents can also obtain their own S1 directly from the International Pension Centre to then validate with the Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social (INSS).

Early retiree living in Spain
If you are an early retiree in Spain you can apply for an S1 form (previously E106). The length of time you’ll be covered depends on your contributory record in the UK, but with a full record cover will normally last up to two and a half years from the day you stop work. During this time you’ll also be entitled to access NHS care in the UK (but you need to use your UK EHIC if you need health care when visiting another EU country). After this period, if you don’t qualify for an S1 form (previously E121), you should arrange private health insurance or ascertain if other options are available to you in Spain (see next two sections). Dependants can also obtain their own S1 directly from the International Pension Centre to then validate with the Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social

source:-ukinspain website

You need to learn how to use Google - I'm getting a bit bored now

Tenerifebot
20-05-2012, 18:37
Start here

http://www.astliz.com/
http://www.delmargigantes.net/
http://www.tenerifepropertysales.com/

and many, many, many more
Looking good.......

Added after 5 minutes:

I have no idea - in the UK now it is 30 full years of contributions

Good luck with your appeal !! Healthcare is only free if you are an active contributor to the system of the country you live in or when you become the responsibility of the state when you reach the legal retirement age (not when you fancy giving up work).

Retired and living in Spain
We know that many British residents are here enjoying their retirement. Due to an EEA-wide agreement, if you’re in receipt of a UK State Pension, long-term Incapacity Benefit or Bereavement Benefit, you’re covered for state-run health care in Spain. You need to register for this by applying for an S1 form (previously E121) from the International Pension Centre (IPC). Dependents can also obtain their own S1 directly from the International Pension Centre to then validate with the Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social (INSS).

Early retiree living in Spain
If you are an early retiree in Spain you can apply for an S1 form (previously E106). The length of time you’ll be covered depends on your contributory record in the UK, but with a full record cover will normally last up to two and a half years from the day you stop work. During this time you’ll also be entitled to access NHS care in the UK (but you need to use your UK EHIC if you need health care when visiting another EU country). After this period, if you don’t qualify for an S1 form (previously E121), you should arrange private health insurance or ascertain if other options are available to you in Spain (see next two sections). Dependants can also obtain their own S1 directly from the International Pension Centre to then validate with the Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social

source:-ukinspain website

You need to learn how to use Google - I'm getting a bit bored now

I do know how to use Google; however I do appreciate how you have helped- Thank you-and I would help u ........
I will keep looking into it.