PDA

View Full Version : Steam Irons. Buying advice sought.

timmylish
10-05-2012, 12:28
Ladies (or Gents in the cleaning sort of businesses) I am looking, on behalf of Madam, to seek out and find a good quality, very heavy duty, steam iron. Any suggestions on where to
a) find out views by users
b) after that finding a suitable shop here (North or South no matter)
c) getting it at the right price (Amazon may come into the equation).
When I,ve gone into Dry Cleaning shops to ask I,ve been met with a general view that you need to spend upwards of 300 €,s. Well I don,t think an ordinary family home can justify that sort of money but I,m open to persuasion!
So, any help is much appreciated.

Balcony
10-05-2012, 13:26
I was a fan of a Rowenta Pro iron (I'm a guy) I picked up at an extravagant price and one day it fell to the floor just one too many times and it was gone. My wife went into John Lewis (in the UK) and bought an iron for £6. I was devastated, convinced it would be useless. It isn't!

Sure, it's not quite as good as the Rowenta was, but it works well. So don't be tempted to part with oudles of cash....though, personally, if I have to buy again I will choose a major brand like Rowenta, or (certainly) Bosch. Bosch is available in Tenerife, but at a price (at least in Ferrocris, PDLA).

Markles
10-05-2012, 13:28
Probably more to do the water your going to use in the iron, even the top of the range steam generators die with the tap water here! Oh and an iron designed to run on 220v rather than 240v!

Megaloo
10-05-2012, 14:27
Funny enough I was with a friend yesterday who bought a new steam iron in Alcampo yesterday, she was going to buy a Bosch but when she saw the price changed her mind and got a Severin at 14. 80 Euros and is well pleased she said there is plenty of steam.

Suej
10-05-2012, 14:42
Ladies (or Gents in the cleaning sort of businesses) I am looking, on behalf of Madam, to seek out and find a good quality, very heavy duty, steam iron. Any suggestions on where to
a) find out views by users
b) after that finding a suitable shop here (North or South no matter)
c) getting it at the right price (Amazon may come into the equation).
When I,ve gone into Dry Cleaning shops to ask I,ve been met with a general view that you need to spend upwards of 300 €,s. Well I don,t think an ordinary family home can justify that sort of money but I,m open to persuasion!
So, any help is much appreciated.

Timmy do yourself a favour and get her one similar to this...
http://es.shoppydoo.com/precio-limpieza_plancha_y_costura-ariete_6256_stiromatic_2400.html the link is only to show you the iron not a recommendation of where to buy. CCAbora in ElCamison do a big selection and with full guarantees!
There are loads on offer here! mine was 50€ the make is Ariette! it's been brilliant! the steam that is emitted steams my mirror near where I do my ironing! a pair or creased jeans? no problem! the good thing is it's the base that is heavy not the iron!:)

Malteser Monkey
10-05-2012, 15:17
Timmy do yourself a favour and get her one similar to this...
http://es.shoppydoo.com/precio-limpieza_plancha_y_costura-ariete_6256_stiromatic_2400.html the link is only to show you the iron not a recommendation of where to buy. CCAbora in ElCamison do a big selection and with full guarantees!
There are loads on offer here! mine was 50€ the make is Ariette! it's been brilliant! the steam that is emitted steams my mirror near where I do my ironing! a pair or creased jeans? no problem! the good thing is it's the base that is heavy not the iron!:)

Hmmm what a load of beep - the steam is from sue soaking in the bath whilst OH does the ironing:crylaughing::raspberry:

mike in chayofa
10-05-2012, 15:22
The main problem that I came accross woth a Steam generator iron is that they are no good for ironing just the odd thing, although they are good if you have lots to iron

Suej
10-05-2012, 15:27
Dead right Mike! I just use an old 6 quid Tesco steam iron for odd things! but when I have a weekly load with sheets, jeans etc...I use the generator one! wouldn't be without it! problem is I iron everything except underpants and my knickers! :laugh:

Hmmm what a load of beep - the steam is from sue soaking in the bath whilst OH does the ironing:crylaughing::raspberry: Where's the blady "Wind up" smilie?

Oi! it's steam from hard graft and sweat! but you wouldn't know about that living in a cold country! :neener:

Added after 4 minutes:

Probably more to do the water your going to use in the iron, even the top of the range steam generators die with the tap water here! Oh and an iron designed to run on 220v rather than 240v!

I only use the distilled water for any irons it's only a few cents! we put tap water in a little hand steam cleaner once, I emptied it straight after and it never worked again! :(

Balcony
10-05-2012, 16:46
You can add a little white vinegar to tap water for the iron. Works OK.

I do most of the ironing here and I looked at those lumpy great things. I really don't think it'd work any better than a normal iron. Jeans are easy; my shirts easy; my wife's choice of blouses/tops....well....not so good.

Suej
10-05-2012, 17:07
You can add a little white vinegar to tap water for the iron. Works OK.

I do most of the ironing here and I looked at those lumpy great things. I really don't think it'd work any better than a normal iron. Jeans are easy; my shirts easy; my wife's choice of blouses/tops....well....not so good.

Hi Balcony! they work a whole lot better than the conventional iron! I would never have believed it myself until I used one! Thanks for the tip with the vinegar:)

Balcony
11-05-2012, 07:41
SueJ. Maybe one day I'll try one! How well do they store away? Much space needed? That might be the problem...

Suej
11-05-2012, 10:59
SueJ. Maybe one day I'll try one! How well do they store away? Much space needed? That might be the problem...

They're not that big Balcony! I have mine in the bottom of a wardrobe! All I can say is the ironing gets done a lot quicker now!:)

Malteser Monkey
11-05-2012, 11:05
They're not that big Balcony! I have mine in the bottom of a wardrobe! All I can say is the ironing gets done a lot quicker now!:)

and we know why:whistle:

Happy Days
11-05-2012, 11:30
Funny you ask this as I was Iron shopping just too weeks ago.....

I have to Iron shirt and trousers every day and the steam function had gone on my old one.

Not knowing anything about Irons, I did what any bloke would do and bought the most powerfull one I could find. The one I bought was from Media Markt, made by Siemens. Puts out "upto" a whopping 2900w (it seams a basic Iron puts out 2100 - 2200w) and cost me 59€.

After, I was in Carrefour and they had an offer on a Iron with a steam box for I think 89€, and I wondered if I had made the right decission...

I think I did. My new Iron heats up very quick, has too steam settings - the lowest being more than enough and I am saving myself about 5 minutes everyday!! And whats more it's come in Dark Gray....a bit more manley than the many pastle colours available :)

There was one I had seen in Alcampo the week before. Was made by rowenta and was about 45€ and 2600w, but it was out of stock...but it was shaped nicley at the tip, good I thought for going between buttons on a shirt!

timmylish
11-05-2012, 23:43
Many thanks for all the responses which, in some did make me smile.
Well she did it. What you ask. Went out to-day, in fact we all (me, madam, Yuriy and Sophia) all did, in this bleadin' heat, and we went to ALL the sho;s in Las Chafiras, found out that she missed a one off offer at Lidl yesterday (did seem a great offer have to say) and then on to PDLA and went to the "Electrodomesticos" shop to spend over one hour and out she comes, big smile and bag filled with goodies! Well one actually. She bought an iron which looks identical to one of our previous ones (Ithink 7) but this ones seems to have more "bells and whistles" and gives out 2400 W! Again, over the next 7 or 8 days there will be Oooohs and Aaaahs only to be asked where the receipt was 'cause the latest iron is no better and its going back to the shop! What a complete waste of time and sorry for bothering you all. Thanks.