PDA

View Full Version : Is Tenerife due for a heatwave?

ArnieD
10-05-2012, 18:15
Evening local Tenerifians (is that correct)

My family flying down tomorrow and most of the websites saying that the Canaries are in for a heatwave this coming week?

See this,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6297190

Can you locals confirm this?

Enjoy because its pretty s hite back here in good ald blighty :confused:

mike in chayofa
10-05-2012, 18:31
Only at the airport by the looks of things!

It is 25º at the moment.

The AEMET website is predicting temperatures of 22 - 25º for the next few days with sun and the odd cloud

ArnieD
10-05-2012, 18:45
Only at the airport by the looks of things!

It is 25º at the moment.

The AEMET website is predicting temperatures of 22 - 25º for the next few days with sun and the odd cloud

Cheers Mike.

So the BBC get it wrong as usual?

If anything is said on the local weather please post

In the meantime, where,s my wellies to? :cry:

Added after 5 minutes:

http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/arona-id38006

Looks as though this is more like it.

Whay do the BBC get is so wrong?

Jadene
10-05-2012, 20:12
i seen a temperature forecast taken from an iphone for the next 5 days going up to 29oc and a local text me and said she has heard its going to be in the 30's not sure where she got that from though x

ArnieD
10-05-2012, 20:17
i seen a temperature forecast taken from an iphone for the next 5 days going up to 29oc and a local text me and said she has heard its going to be in the 30's not sure where she got that from though x

Thanks for that Jadene.

Tempertures going up here in Bristol. A balmy 14deg by saturday :ashamed:

cainaries
10-05-2012, 20:20
Dunno 'bout you guys in Tenerife but here on La Palma everyone says there is going to be a calima this weekend and it is considerably hotter than it has been for a long time.

Jackie
10-05-2012, 20:28
yep heard the same...apparently temperatures from Tuesday next week into the 30's

primrose
10-05-2012, 20:29
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/60025.html

According to this it has to be hot.:sunburn::sunbathe::swimming:

Cairo
10-05-2012, 20:33
Yes, so the rumours go, weather warnings in place from friday for heat :)

ArnieD
10-05-2012, 20:59
Ohhh yes, here to

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/28.100473,-16.680658

Added after 7 minutes:

Dunno 'bout you guys in Tenerife but here on La Palma everyone says there is going to be a calima this weekend and it is considerably hotter than it has been for a long time.

Being very very uneuducated, what the hell is a CALIMA? :shy:

Sounds painful or even something i caught as a teenager :ashamed:

Added after 3 minutes:

You really must see this

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/tenerifeforecast.html

Jackie
10-05-2012, 21:14
Ohhh yes, here to

Added after 7 minutes:

http://www.tenerifetimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=121&Itemid=39

cainaries
10-05-2012, 21:52
Ohhh yes, here to

Added after 7 minutes:

Added after 3 minutes:

You really must see this

I'd never heard of a calima before I moved here and even then (in my head) I spelt it Kalima.

I'm sure there's an official description but mine runs along the lines of.... uncomfortably hot usually accompanied by a hot dry wind. Can also be slightly muggy. If we get it in August it is really rather unpleasant but in February it can almost be quite nice! Awaiting other descriptions ....

canarybird
10-05-2012, 22:35
Calima is an atmospheric condition where tiny dust particles from the Sahara are suspended in the air and brought to other areas by the wind.
In the case of Canary Islands, a wind from the east can often mean the air is hot and full of dust in suspension, bringing about poor visibility and high temperatures.

Canarybird

Suej
11-05-2012, 11:01
It's turned from Winter to Summer in the space of a week!!! :)

ridley
11-05-2012, 15:51
yes I agree. We have been waiting for summer to arrive and now it has!!!

wendylongster
11-05-2012, 15:58
Has the weather not been good? It was beautiful in Jan when we were there! If its to be so warm I m packing my case, I m on my way!! ;-)

Suej
11-05-2012, 16:01
Has the weather not been good? It was beautiful in Jan when we were there! If its to be so warm I m packing my case, I m on my way!! ;-)

For us who live here Wendy it has been the coldest winter since I moved over 8 years ago! but there have been some lovely sunny days/weeks so you were quite lucky! some friends of ours thought they would have a quick week over here at Easter and saw very little sun!

casabonny
11-05-2012, 16:07
Well its bloody hot here in Silencio at last! Ive just been doing some gardening and its showing 32 degrees on the thermometor and beleive me from the state of me at the moment I can well beleive it .Just trying to cool down for a few minutes , but I must say bring it on calima and all , it will be like Tenerife of old once again.

ArnieD
11-05-2012, 16:56
Well its bloody hot here in Silencio at last! Ive just been doing some gardening and its showing 32 degrees on the thermometor and beleive me from the state of me at the moment I can well beleive it .Just trying to cool down for a few minutes , but I must say bring it on calima and all , it will be like Tenerife of old once again.

Just had a text from a mate who has just landed.

Says its roasting, never can remember a May day as hot.

Texted him back, it got to be 42 degrees by Tuedsay. You lot are going to Frizzel!!!!!!:spin:

marbro8
11-05-2012, 20:46

Texted him back, it got to be 42 degrees by Tuedsay. You lot are going to Frizzel!!!!!!:spin:yipeeee 3 more days to go:jumping:

ArnieD
12-05-2012, 19:11
94d tomorrow?:dontknow:

You kidding me?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Tenerife+/+Sur+Reina+Spain+SPXX0210

Jackie
12-05-2012, 19:32
Hit the high 40's on my roof today, was still 38 up there at 6p.m. I'm lovin' it

Balcony
13-05-2012, 09:00
A calima is a hot wind, similar to a sirocco, after it passes, usually, over a desert area (in Africa). In Tenerife's case a lot of sand also gets blown over too, so everything gets covered. Lovely time for cleaners!! However, it can cause breathing difficulties for some people.

Ohhh yes, here to

Added after 7 minutes:

Added after 3 minutes:

You really must see this

Suej
13-05-2012, 10:14
Not sure this current heatwave is a Calima? anyone know? it looks pretty clear looking down to the coast from up here in Chayofa!:dontknow:

Already 28 degrees under my pergola, the sun is not completely on it yet! gonna be a scorcher! watch yourselves in the sun everyone!:sunbathe:

cainaries
13-05-2012, 12:36

Texted him back, it got to be 42 degrees by Tuedsay. You lot are going to Frizzel!!!!!!:spin:

What a wonderful word. Kind of combination of frying/frazzled. Describes it perfectly, thank you.

There's no HOT status ... went to change the 'I am ....' to HOT and it's not there. WTF is that then?

Suej
13-05-2012, 12:39
What a wonderful word. Kind of combination of frying/frazzled. Describes it perfectly, thank you.

There's no HOT status ... went to change the 'I am ....' to HOT and it's not there. WTF is that then?

Time for your medication Cainaries!:laugh:

cainaries
13-05-2012, 12:42
Time for your medication Cainaries!:laugh:

I've already taken it so you should all start to worry. (Is your kitchen nice and cool, Suej? Could I come over and chill out in there?!) I would put some smillies but I'm too hot to go and look for them.

Suej
13-05-2012, 12:46
I've already taken it so you should all start to worry. (Is your kitchen nice and cool, Suej? Could I come over and chill out in there?!) I would put some smillies but I'm too hot to go and look for them.

It's Frizzling here too! funnily enough we've just put a new ceiling fan up in the kitchen so it is nice and cool! I'll have a nice ice cold drink ready!:)

nath
13-05-2012, 13:14
Can't believe how hot it is all of a sudden. Just shut all doors and windows! Normally we enjoy a nice breeze through the house but just now it was just warming up the house. I took this picture an hour ago in the SHADE!!!!

nath
13-05-2012, 13:32
as for your picture - you will get arrested driving your house that fast :laugh:

hahahahahahaha!!!!

nath
13-05-2012, 14:06
look out its nath

again: HAHAHAHAHA! Too funny!

cainaries
13-05-2012, 14:30
cheap mans air-com

get large flat tub of water ,so not to deep but out a lot at top (sort of size of cat tray)

place underneath a static electric fan .....

this will send cool water round your room .......

Or electrocute me, I should think. Then I'd been even more frizzled.

Suej
13-05-2012, 14:42
Or electrocute me, I should think. Then I'd been even more frizzled.

Put a 2ltr bottle of water in the freezer when water is frozen put the frozen bottle (in a bowl to catch the drips) and stand in front of a fan! works really well Cainaries!:wink:

cheap mans air-com

get large flat tub of water ,so not to deep but out a lot at top (sort of size of cat tray)

place underneath a static electric fan .....

this will send cool water round your room .......

This still sounds very dangerous to me! :nono:

ArnieD
14-05-2012, 15:02
Can any of you locals confirm the heat is still on?

Ive veiwed a few webcams and seems everyone is in the sea so must be hot!

God im jealous. Its still "poo" here back in the UK and nothing says its going to change either

cainaries
14-05-2012, 15:07
I'm on the next island, ArnieD, but it's frizzling hot here! It's usually hotter in Tenerife than where I am so I expect they're so frizzled they can't bear to sit at a computer.

Arona1
14-05-2012, 15:19
35c here in Arona :mad:

Angusjim
14-05-2012, 15:40
Just checked forcast they are forcasting rain / thunder storms from Sunday. Not looking great for our week we arrive Thursday someone please tell me the forcast is wrong:(

Malteser Monkey
14-05-2012, 15:59
thats thunder storms - not same as raining day in day out and gray skys ...

:spin:you can have thunder storms and no rain ! so don't panic Mr Mainwaring:cheeky:

Angusjim
14-05-2012, 16:00
thats thunder storms - not same as raining day in day out and gray skys ...

Well thats a great comfort still says 60% chance of rain with cloud / sunny intervals (or if you are Young Golfer 40% chance no rain) Rain, cloud and thunder I can get plenty of, in fact I can hear hailstones battering off my roof at the moment :(

DOREEN QUINN
14-05-2012, 16:18
37c in El Roque! all shutters and windows closed...

Suej
14-05-2012, 16:23
I agree! Deffo cooler with the shutters down Doreen! much cooler in the house than out! 34 degrees under my pergola even though the sun has moved off it now!:wink:

Added after 2 minutes:

I'm on the next island, ArnieD, but it's frizzling hot here! It's usually hotter in Tenerife than where I am so I expect they're so frizzled they can't bear to sit at a computer.

Acccording to Aemet La Palma is Yellow alert today and Tenerife is still orange! but temps are showing as back to normal tomorrow for all the Islands!:)

Jackie
14-05-2012, 16:35
37c in El Roque! all shutters and windows closed...

and I've just melted walking up the hill from the bus stop lol.

cainaries
14-05-2012, 16:37
I agree! Deffo cooler with the shutters down Doreen! much cooler in the house than out! 34 degrees under my pergola even though the sun has moved off it now!:wink:

Added after 2 minutes:

Acccording to Aemet La Palma is Yellow alert today and Tenerife is still orange! but temps are showing as back to normal tomorrow for all the Islands!:)

It's a tiny bit cooler today. I was so hot yesterday my brain frizzled. There's a very small breath of cooler air coming through the window. 34C in the shade today. I didn't look yesterday ... too hot.

Ed3229
15-05-2012, 15:56
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18068652 very sad

ArnieD
15-05-2012, 18:52
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18068652 very sad

Very sad . Out walking in 40 plus degrees of heat should be avoided

cainaries
15-05-2012, 19:16
Very sad . Out walking in 40 plus degrees of heat should be avoided

You are so so right. If anyone is reading this and they have booked a tour or even a whole holiday of walking this week, please consider how incredibly hot it is. It might be frustrating to feel you've wasted your money but that would be considerably better than making yourselves ill or worse.

ArnieD
15-05-2012, 22:42
You are so so right. If anyone is reading this and they have booked a tour or even a whole holiday of walking this week, please consider how incredibly hot it is. It might be frustrating to feel you've wasted your money but that would be considerably better than making yourselves ill or worse.

You know what Canaries

I started this thread knowing my best mate and family were on their way to Tenerife with this heat wave about to start

Spoke to him earlier and he said never known anything like it for May before and really uncomfortable

Then I let him know it's been 8 deg here in Bristol and I've been attacked all day by huge hell stones !!!

He did laugh

Anyway they are back Friday night and the weather forecast here is poo for the weekend so that will teach them to take the mick!!!!!

cainaries
15-05-2012, 22:48
You know what Canaries

I started this thread knowing my best mate and family were on their way to Tenerife with this heat wave about to start

Spoke to him earlier and he said never known anything like it for May before and really uncomfortable

Then I let him know it's been 8 deg here in Bristol and I've been attacked all day by huge hell stones !!!

He did laugh

Anyway they are back Friday night and the weather forecast here is poo for the weekend so that will teach them to take the mick!!!!!

We met someone this evening who had just arrived on La Palma. We kind of apologised for the fact that it's so frizzling hot. He said he'd come here to get warm and OH and I laughed rather bitterly and said 'You'll do that all right'. Next time we bumped into him (he's next door) he apologised for walking around in his underpants. OH laughed again and said he'd been doing that all day but had put his shorts on to be polite. It is a bit uncomfortable, yes!

Either too extremely cold wet and miz or too frizzling hot. Wonder where we should all have gone for a nice gentle warm week?