PDA

View Full Version : False bomb threat on Tenerife bound Thomas Cook flight

Canarian Weekly
11-05-2012, 15:10
TWO people were arrested today at Reina Sofia airport, Tenerife after telling cabin crew on their flight that they were in possession of a bomb. Reina Sofia was put on full alert with the aeroplane carrying 218 passengers plus eight crew landing safely, away from the terminal shortly after noon. The two British travellers are [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/false-bomb-threat-tenerife-bound-thomas-cook-flight/)

obs
11-05-2012, 17:17
Stupid - or what ??? :gun:

Pooh
11-05-2012, 17:23
They were over 18 months old - they should have known better...
(As opposed to the 18 month girl an airline stopped in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, since she, according to the airline, was a known terrorist.)

deepdivejunkie
11-05-2012, 17:52
Nice long walk back to Manchester after they've been banned from flying :-)

warbey
11-05-2012, 19:20
The Article says the Perps said SHORTLY AFTER TAKE OFF.

FOUR AND A BIT hours later, at Tenerife.

If true and there HAD been a Bomb, Thos Cook would have been bankrupted..? plus 226 people probably dead.

Or Canarian Weekly Reporter warned or fired...

cainaries
11-05-2012, 20:41

I expect they're planning to go back by train. (We met a tourist who planned to return from Tenerife to the UK by train ... not boat and train, I would like to stress, just the train).

Pooh
11-05-2012, 21:29
The Article says the Perps said SHORTLY AFTER TAKE OFF.

FOUR AND A BIT hours later, at Tenerife.

If true and there HAD been a Bomb, Thos Cook would have been bankrupted..? plus 226 people probably dead.

Or Canarian Weekly Reporter warned or fired...

I strongly suspect the plane actually took off from Reina Sofia, and turned back...
Either that, or it was shortly before landing.

timmylish
11-05-2012, 22:48
The lack of clarity is typical of the local Free Press here on Tenerife. My first thought was why not say where the flight was from, then I started thinking along all of the lines as above. Very, very poor reporting unfortunately.

carpdaught1
11-05-2012, 23:02
bloody idiots !

slodgedad
11-05-2012, 23:07
The lack of clarity is typical of the local Free Press here on Tenerife. My first thought was why not say where the flight was from, then I started thinking along all of the lines as above. Very, very poor reporting unfortunately.

My sentiments exactly, T.

If it had been, as reported, it would surely have been mentioned by other press outlets.

imablue
11-05-2012, 23:14
What a pair of W........ as has been said enjoy your stay in Tenerife.. 1st and Last.. stripey suntan from Santa Cruz .......
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1493560_pair-who-made-false-bomb-threats-on-thomas-cook-flight-from-manchester-are-arrested-in-tenerife

slodgedad
11-05-2012, 23:23
What a pair of W........ as has been said enjoy your stay in Tenerife.. 1st and Last.. stripey suntan from Santa Cruz .......
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1493560_pair-who-made-false-bomb-threats-on-thomas-cook-flight-from-manchester-are-arrested-in-tenerife

Take back my previous comment as I couldn't find another report.

Fun, prank or bravado these people need a prison sentence if it's true.

After the security problems of the past 10 years anyone who thinks this kind of 'Prank' is a joke obviously don't care about anyone.

imablue
11-05-2012, 23:50
My sentiments too Slodge.. don,t these ¿ Kids ? know anything...
a prank for me is some kind of fun between your mates....not involving a risk to ..what 218 other passengers on an aeroplane .......W .....

TenerifeTeddy
12-05-2012, 09:55
One thing is for sure, the 2 morons will get harsher treatment here than they would have got back in the UK.:nono:

With luck they will be kept in custody in Tenerife II jail for a couple of years whilst waiting for a judge to review their case, and perhaps the Guardia Civil have already had a chance to explain to them the error of their ways:pray:

macdonald5
12-05-2012, 11:35

Understood it was an Aberdeen flight, people at our poolside were hours late arriving waiting on flight clearance after stupid boast of having bomb in bag!?

Suej
12-05-2012, 11:35
If they want to act like Terrorists then they should be treated in the same way! throw the book at them! I also hope it takes years to get to court and they are held in remand in a nasty prison cell in the meantime! :nono:

garlicbread
12-05-2012, 18:08
I don't normally believe very much I read in the Daily Mail, but, for what it's worth @SATELLITE did point it out in his last post i.e. the story in that paper from yesterday at 18.15 our time, here's the link again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2143103/Two-Britons-arrested-sparking-bomb-scare-flight-Tenerife.html

9PLUS
12-05-2012, 18:32
I'm out now

cheers for the complimentary drinks

x

Dandy Don
13-05-2012, 13:58
Flight was FROM Manchester to Tenerife South and then going from Tenerife South to Aberdeen.

My mum was on the flight going back to Aberdeen and they were delayed 3hrs due to these idiots.... she did get a free G&T on the way home though.

warbey
13-05-2012, 20:20
Pity they couldnt keep "Children" separate....

They WILL be, going back though,,,,,

Harmonicaman
13-05-2012, 21:16
Judge, Jury and Executioner...let's wait 'til the courtcase has been heard folks.:(

DOREEN QUINN
14-05-2012, 00:51
I had 2 customers in that were on the manchester flight, sat directly behind the 2 idiots and apparantly they had had a few to drink. Just before landing one of the idiots in question had a bag in the aisle and was told by the cabin staff to stow the bag correctly - to be told they couldnt do that as there was a bomb in the bag!

warbey
14-05-2012, 21:05
I had 2 customers in that were on the manchester flight, sat directly behind the 2 idiots and apparantly they had had a few to drink. Just before landing one of the idiots in question had a bag in the aisle and was told by the cabin staff to stow the bag correctly - to be told they couldnt do that as there was a bomb in the bag!

About time to reinstate National Service.

A tour of Afghanistan and not so funny then..

I'll try to remember this when the Court case occurs HM.

fonica
15-05-2012, 09:34
About time to reinstate National Service.

A tour of Afghanistan and not so funny then..

I'll try to remember this when the Court case occurs HM.
If we live long enough.Remember the three lads accused of the "stabbing incident" in LA.They were in prison here for almost 2 years and then found NOT GUILTY.So maybe these two can look forward to a free Spanish course in aTenerife jail.

TenerifeTeddy
15-05-2012, 09:57
Just seen this update on Island Connections website: Bummer!:mad:

Aidan Jervis, aged 21, and Nathan Trippier, 20, (pictured above in a photo from People) argued repeatedly with cabin crew on the Thomas Cook flight and told a stewardess they had explosives in their hand luggage when they were refused more alcohol. The threat triggered a full-scale alert when the plane landed. Although it was initially thought the pair would be tried in the UK for the offence, legal sources now say they are likely to be given a quick trial in Tenerife, with a fine or a suspended 1-year sentence the most probable outcome given that they have no previous convictions in Spain. Both appeared in Court 3 in Granadilla yesterday and had their passports withdrawn to ensure they do not leave Tenerife before their trial, which is expected to take place soon.

cainaries
15-05-2012, 19:53
Given they probably expected nothing would happen to them at all, this may serve as quite a lesson. Not as much as some of us might have liked but all the same.

Harmonicaman
15-05-2012, 20:04
Sanity prevails... Typically Spanish (http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_34671.shtml)

candy2411
15-05-2012, 21:02
Sanity prevails... Typically Spanish (http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_34671.shtml)

Totally agree, sanity prevails.... yes they were really stupid....but couldnt help but feel sorry for the families they have back in UK, they must have been going frantic wondering the outcome

lapalma
15-05-2012, 21:19
The word bomb should never be mentioned and taken for granted in any overheard conversation.Unless that is that someone knows otherwise !

fonica
17-05-2012, 00:03
Quick trail,fast tracked!!These don't sound like Spanish phrases to me.Were they staying in an illegal apartment as well? They may need a three month lease for their "fast tracked" hearing.

timmylish
17-05-2012, 03:16
So much for the "insider" information duly provided by our well respected "Fountain of Knowledge", Satellite, who assured all and sundry that these 2 individuals would be whisked off to Madrid (probably in co-hoots with the CIA), held in jail in Madrid for a couple of years before being brought to justice. Just goes to prove what kind of advice he gives in other respects!

janes
17-05-2012, 08:18
So much for the "insider" information duly provided by our well respected "Fountain of Knowledge", Satellite, who assured all and sundry that these 2 individuals would be whisked off to Madrid (probably in co-hoots with the CIA), held in jail in Madrid for a couple of years before being brought to justice. Just goes to prove what kind of advice he gives in other respects!
I read on another post that it was like being in the Special Olympics. I can't find it to quote it here but it was too funny. :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

You can find the same kind of advise in bars where derelicts reside.
These boys made an erroneous comment but it's not to say it shouldn't be punishable. The fact that they have been taken to court I feel is ample enough.

timmylish
17-05-2012, 15:49
Yet another occasion in which you need the "spin doctor" to explain what that last posting was all about!

garlicbread
17-05-2012, 15:56
Yet another occasion in which you need the "spin doctor" to explain what that last posting was all about!

Chillax Timmy, don't let him get to you , he is being monitored

Malteser Monkey
17-05-2012, 16:01

try GB's Euro thread Timmy

warbey
17-05-2012, 19:53
I read on another post that it was like being in the Special Olympics. I can't find it to quote it here but it was too funny. :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

You can find the same kind of advise in bars where derelicts reside.
These boys made an erroneous comment but it's not to say it shouldn't be punishable. The fact that they have been taken to court I feel is ample enough.

Hmmm, Try telling that to all delayed three hours going back.....?

janes
17-05-2012, 20:08
Hmmm, Try telling that to all delayed three hours going back.....?

Fair comment Warbey, there's never a perfect solution but retribution in not always the solution. They were immature and should not be criminalised for it.

warbey
17-05-2012, 20:21
Fair comment Warbey, there's never a perfect solution but retribution in not always the solution. They were immature and should not be criminalised for it.

I travel by Air on occasion.

I am glad the Powers that Be take Safety more seriously than You seem to do.

I would suggest they were irresponsible and trying to cause trouble, caused by Drink.

The walk Home will be a long one though.?

janes
17-05-2012, 20:36
I travel by Air on occasion.

I am glad the Powers that Be take Safety more seriously than You seem to do.

I would suggest they were irresponsible and trying to cause trouble, caused by Drink.

The walk Home will be a long one though.?

Why so angry Warbey? ???
I always took you for one of the most balanced posters on here.

We live and learn I guess.

warbey
17-05-2012, 20:51
I get annoyed by a few pushing the rest about. That includes Me.

There is very little excuse for bad behaviour which hurts or frightens Others.

Then there are Those who defend them..............

so its not anger, probably more frustration They get away with too much, so others follow Their example etc etc..

Good Job I'm not the Judge eh.?

janes
17-05-2012, 21:01
Good Job I'm not the Judge eh.?

Or any judge for that matter.

Dan747
22-05-2012, 23:44
I know one of the members of the cabin crew who was on this flight. As reported, the males were drinking and had been causing problems for most of the flight being disruptive and loud, pressing the call bell and then turning it off when somebody came was their main source of entertainment.

During approach one of the males told the crew that they couldn't land, when asked why he stated because he had a bomb in his bag, he was warned about the seriousness of what he was implying and asked if he wanted to retract the statement, which he didn't and kept saying he had a bomb, at which point a full alert was raised.

For what it's worth, the crew said the passengers onboard handled it brilliantly and it was a very calm situation considering the circumstances and no doubt frustrations of those onboard. The two males involved now have a life time ban from Thomas Cook.

timmylish
23-05-2012, 01:06
it was a light hearted dig at the people who you directed to spend on your UKVPN
when asked for help you blamed the BBC ??? then some statement that the should ring and get it sorted along with ´mines ok ´´ well im glad you are watching your TV and i am quite happy free of charge to sort out the people who took your advice
but you should not promote a product that either you dont understand or maybe worse will not stand behind

Oh you. Just who do you think that you are dealing with here. I am quite satisfied that, like myself, a large number of coForum members regard your inane offerings on here as a load of twaddle (used in view of the restraining Rules of this Forum). Promoting the company I use for my excellent VPN service is based on one thing and one only. AS OPPOSED TO YOUR CRAP MY VPN SERVICE WORKS BOTH EFFICIENTLY AND AS ADVERTISED. This is done exactly the same as me suggesting my Auto repairer, Ashro Motors. Again, likewise, The Auction House. The beauty with my VPN I do not need to understand it. It just works!