PDA

View Full Version : Warning about SKYPE virus calls

atlantico
12-05-2012, 16:12
source = google and nakedsecurity.sophos.com (http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/09/19/automated-skype-calls-spread-fake-anti-virus-warning-video/)

For those of you that have Skype on your computers it seems the microsoft scam might have developed or evolved onto Skype.

I've had a couple of 'missed phone calls' this last few days claiming to be from 'system notifications' and today I was actually here to hear Skype phone me so being curious I accepted the call and heard the 'computer' voice informing me that it had noticed my system running slow and possible virus activity so I hung up right away and blocked them from calling me again.

Within an hour of blocking that caller I had another call come through under a new name from Skype but claiming to be 'user repairs' so I had a suspicion it would be the same message listened for two seconds and blocked them also.

So it seems that the microsoft scam has gone from people phoning your landline to calling you using your Skype on the computer so anyone receiving this call if you can ignore it otherwise accept the call long enough to hang up as when the window opens on the call you'll see the option up the top of the box to block the user you'll then have the option open in a new window to report the user which is what I've just done twice.

The call went something like

"Attention: this is an automated computer system alert. Your computer protection service is not active. To activate computer protection, and repair your computer, go to www[LINK]"

If you weren't aware of fake anti-virus (also known as scareware) scams like this you might well be worried enough to visit the website referred to in the message, where it will pretend to scan your computer's security. Surprise surprise.. the website claims that you are not properly protected - and it urges you to install its software (a steal at $19.95).