PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging a UK driving licence for a Spanish one

Brian
13-06-2011, 15:09
My wife and I are intending to change our UK licences for Spanish ones, our UK licences are not due for renewal, it is just that we no longer have a UK address.
I have a few questions and need a few things confirming:

Is it correct that as the licences are current we will not need medicals to change them.

Is there a application form to complete and can this be downloaded and completed before hand.

Will we manage at Trafico without being fluent in Spanish.

I have category C (HGV) entitlement, is this going to cause any problems ?

We are taking the following documents:

Passport
Driving Licence both plastic and paper.
Green Rescidencia with N.I.E. number.
Certificate of Empadronamiento.

Photocopies of the above. Is there anything else needed?

Thanks in advance.

bonitatime
13-06-2011, 17:10
The HGV will cuse no problem as I have a class one which I cahnged with no trouble. That said a professional quailfication needs to be renewed every 5 years not every 10.
Everythiong else sounds like what I needed but it was many years ago so I can't be sure. Thinking again, do you not need photos?

Brian
13-06-2011, 19:21
The HGV will cuse no problem as I have a class one which I cahnged with no trouble. That said a professional quailfication needs to be renewed every 5 years not every 10.
Everythiong else sounds like what I needed but it was many years ago so I can't be sure. Thinking again, do you not need photos?

Yes 2 photos required, thanks for that.

glostergirl
13-06-2011, 19:22
i have never changed mine to spanish because i have hgv 1 and was always worried bout changing licence in case i lost this entitlement!! if i ever go back to uk driving is my profession wouldnt be doing any other job!! never had a problem with traffic when been stopped as long as i show my residencia with my nie on!!

popsybear
07-07-2011, 21:06
Hi can anyone tell me if there is a spanish equivalent of a british psv driving license. you know the one that lets you drive a minibus full of people. cheers

wedding celebrant
07-07-2011, 21:27
Hi Popsybear,
Im married to a Canarian Mechanic, he said its called BTP, as long as the laws havent changed all you need to do is take a medical and apply for it at Traffico in Santa Cruz,

i hope this helps x

bonitatime
07-07-2011, 21:50
I certainly got one when I changed my license over.

popsybear
07-07-2011, 21:55
and now you can drive people?' did you have to pay for it

I certainly got one when I changed my license over.

bonitatime
07-07-2011, 22:00
No I converted my UK licence over to a Spanish one and they added this to it.
Can't promise they would for you but that was what happened to me. I forget what the charge for the conversion was but 20ish euros comes to mind. It was about 10 years ago.

Brian
03-08-2011, 13:35
My wife and I are intending to change our UK licences for Spanish ones, our UK licences are not due for renewal, it is just that we no longer have a UK address.
I have a few questions and need a few things confirming:

Is it correct that as the licences are current we will not need medicals to change them.

Is there a application form to complete and can this be downloaded and completed before hand.

Will we manage at Trafico without being fluent in Spanish.

I have category C (HGV) entitlement, is this going to cause any problems ?

We are taking the following documents:

Passport
Driving Licence both plastic and paper.
Green Rescidencia with N.I.E. number.
Certificate of Empadronamiento.

Photocopies of the above. Is there anything else needed?

Thanks in advance.

Just an update on the above.

We went to Trafico on 15th June, presented our paperwork after about a 15 minute wait, there was one window doing soley licence enquires. We knew (thanks to the forum) that we would then have to wait 45 days whilst they checked our licences with the DVLA in the UK. They did say that they would ring us if the paperwork was back earlier, but we knew that would never happen.

So after the 45 day wait, we returned yesterday for round two, again only about a ten minute wait. We had hoped that as we were exchanging current licences that we wouldn't need to have medicals and as nothing had been mentioned at our previous visit, we assumed that it was correct. Not so, never make an assumption, we were of an age where a medical was required, no worries there was a place next door that could do them, while you wait, no appointment needed. But first we had to queue again to pay our €26.60 each for the licences at another window, there was however no queue.

It took 30 minutes next door to have our medicals done, basically, blood pressure, eye test, and hand and eye coordination test, €55, thank you very much and you come away with your certificate.

I also needed to get a new photograph, the ones that I had brought from the UK proved to be too big apparently, or at least my head was. Again no problem, there was a photo shop around the corner.

Back into Trafico, another ticket, another queue, busier now, but still only a half an hour wait, 15 minutes later we were leaving with our cardboard temporary licences, with a promise that the plastic ones will arrive within a month.

All sorted within two hours, the experience not as daunting as we expected, sure it would have been easier if we spoke fluent Spainish, but as we have found in other situations if you act a little humble and are apologetic they will normally help you out, or perhaps we have yet to come up against a jobsworth.

TeresaT
13-08-2011, 18:30
I decided it was time to change my licence to a spanish one.. I went into the Las Galletas office (change driving licences, can have your mecical and tests here too)

I explained I wanted to change my licence, she said no problem: I needed to take the driving aptitude test and have a mecical €45. It was easy. Then I have to take the certificate with my residencia, 2 x photos to Traffico and they charge aroubd €27 and then I can have my new licence sent to my home.

I have yet to go to traffico and after 10 yrs Im hoping it is a better experience thn my first one, I only went to stamp my english licence but the queues were a nightmare. Im told they are much better now and their system seems to be working.. I have 3 mths to get to traffico so no rush once you have your medical...you c an use the certificate if Police stop you and it is accepted.

If you have a spanish licence or are spanish, you can take the medical etc and the office will send the docs to Traffico for you.. unfortunately not for ex-pats you have to present yourself at Traffico... so much for all being equal and amazing that they dont accept our UK (european) licences as they are.

bonitatime
13-08-2011, 19:45
Unless your license was out of date my understanding was you didnt need a medical. But things may have changed since I converted mine

TeresaT
13-08-2011, 20:26
My UK Licence doesnt run out for 20 yrs or more but she said that because the traffico stamp was due to run out, I would need a medical to be able to qualify for a Spanish licence...I didnt want to get to Traffico and then be told the same so I did the medical there and then.

bonitatime
13-08-2011, 21:21
I didnt have mine convalidated first so the rules could easily be different. Once you have a Spanish license you dont need to go to traffico anyone the medical centre will do this for you and your new license will arrive by post

KirstyJay
13-08-2011, 23:34
Just an update on the above.

We went to Trafico on 15th June, presented our paperwork after about a 15 minute wait.....

Thanks for your informative and concise report. I have published your post to an article in our information repository so that others can find your info easily.

Once again, thanks for the effort of reposting your experiences for the benefit of other forum members! :D

doreen
13-08-2011, 23:53
Thanks Brian - great post ... anyone changed an Irish licence recently ? I am guessing it would be the same procedure ...

little voice
14-09-2011, 14:24
Were do you go to change driving licence is there anywhere Las Americas - Los Cris

Thank you

No I converted my UK licence over to a Spanish one and they added this to it.
Can't promise they would for you but that was what happened to me. I forget what the charge for the conversion was but 20ish euros comes to mind. It was about 10 years ago.

Goldenmaniac
15-09-2011, 10:18
If you have never inscripted your UK licence you can not do the exchange locally at the medical testing centres because Trafico do not have your information in their records.
If you are starting from scratch and jumping straight to exchange then you have to go to Trafico in Santa Cruz, the process takes about 6 weeks as they check with DVLA but your UK licence is of course valid for driving while the process goes through. see here http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#Spanishdrivinglicence

Chrislaff
26-09-2011, 14:50
A little Humble Pie never hurt anyone... tastes pretty good too :spin:

Tracey Jayne
11-12-2011, 14:27
Hope you don't mind me asking but what age do you have to be over for them to require the medical to be done?

Added after 4 minutes:

Hi,

I am confused a little (not difficult) but a policeman at the police station told us that if we had a european licence we did not need to get a Spanish one???

TeresaT
11-12-2011, 14:48
I changed mine to a Spanish one for two reasons.. Mine was the old (Paper) licence not the UK European card one.. So mine was stamped here in Traffico (10yrs ago) which ran out Sept and you need to change yours at that point.. My Paper one was also in bad order and the Police can give you a fine if its ripped or illegible.

I dont think any of the above is necessary if you have a card version..which the UK issued.

All people applying for a Spanish License have to have the medical and driving test..not hard to pass, all done in the office and cost €45.. you have to go and hand in the document to say you are apt to drive to Traffico (only becuase I had a paper license) if you had a card license they will post it for you... You have to pay a further €27 to pay for the new Spainish card license which arrived in the post a few weeks later.

The test and medical and oligatory every 10 yrs if you have a Spanish License.

Goldenmaniac
11-12-2011, 19:56
Hope you don't mind me asking but what age do you have to be over for them to require the medical to be done?

Added after 4 minutes:

Hi,

I am confused a little (not difficult) but a policeman at the police station told us that if we had a european licence we did not need to get a Spanish one???

contrary to popular belief there is no SPANISH requirement to obligate a valid UK plastic European style driving licence holder to do anything to enable them to drive on Spanish roads, either as a resident or visitor. (resident holders of paper licences must at the very least inscript them)

What is true is that if you live in Tenerife or indeed any where else other than the UK it is the DVLA’s regulations and Britain’s laws that you will be breaking!
UK driving licence renewal forms now require the applicant to sign a declaration that they do not live outside the UK and in the motoring section of the official UK government web site it states:

Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence. http://www.direct.gov.uk

If you are living in Tenerife for longer than 6 months it may suit you to

Either
to Inscript your UK licence ie advise the Spanish driving authorities of your permanent address here in Tenerife. After they have checked with the DVLA in the UK (about 6 weeks delay currently - Sep 2011) to make sure you don't have points or a ban, then they give you a printed piece of A5 paper which you then keep with your UK licence.
OR
you exchange (canje) your UK licence for a Spanish one you still have the wait for DVLA to confirm your driving status and then you hand in your UK licence for a temporary Spanish one. You then receive your new plastic licence through the post direct to your home.

You ARE required to follow medical examination rules (see below) after you have been in Spain permanently for 6 months, but you do not HAVE to inscript or canje (exchange) for a Spanish one unless you wish to, or unless you have lost your UK one or it has been stolen or the picture component of the UK licence has expired and you are unable to get a replacement in the UK because you no longer have any ties there. http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#Spanishdrivinglicence

Driving fitness medical examinations

Whether you have not done anything with your UK licence or you have inscripted your UK driving licence or are now the holder of a Spanish one, whilst you remain resident in Spain you are subject to Spanish regulations regarding driving fitness medical examinations which have to be taken at various intervals dependant on age. Since 2006 these fall in line with European Regulations. Spanish licences will be renewed, whilst holders of UK and inscripted licences will only be required to take the medical test.

callaopam
05-01-2012, 11:26
Hi Brian,

You don't say how you got on with the forms?, did you download them of get copies att the jefatura? How difficult were they to fill in?

Brian
05-01-2012, 12:49
Hi Brian,

You don't say how you got on with the forms?, did you download them of get copies att the jefatura? How difficult were they to fill in?

We just filled out the simple forms that were given to us at the Traffico desk, name,address, etc.

tina ann
26-03-2012, 12:16
My husband has lost his drivers licence and needs to renew it, does anyone know how to get a Spanish licence?

Thanks

slodgedad
26-03-2012, 14:27
My husband has lost his drivers licence and needs to renew it, does anyone know how to get a Spanish licence?

Thanks

I have merged your thread with this one. Have a read through, you may find what you're looking for.

casabonny
26-03-2012, 18:28

Thanks
Contact Emma at Motorworld , she will be able to help you .Follow the link in my signature for contact details.

bigbite
15-12-2012, 02:05
how long have you been driving without changing it

callaopam
15-12-2012, 09:07
how long have you been driving without changing it

Just over 4 years, tthe inscription expires late 2013,
but my UK licence was issued last year and valid until 2020 when I am 70

little voice
15-12-2012, 13:56
a little while

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Can you tell me what option I have, my GB license photo ran out 3 years ago I live here in Tenerife I obvioucly can not send it to england to update where can i go to update it ?

I changed mine to a Spanish one for two reasons.. Mine was the old (Paper) licence not the UK European card one.. So mine was stamped here in Traffico (10yrs ago) which ran out Sept and you need to change yours at that point.. My Paper one was also in bad order and the Police can give you a fine if its ripped or illegible.

I dont think any of the above is necessary if you have a card version..which the UK issued.

All people applying for a Spanish License have to have the medical and driving test..not hard to pass, all done in the office and cost €45.. you have to go and hand in the document to say you are apt to drive to Traffico (only becuase I had a paper license) if you had a card license they will post it for you... You have to pay a further €27 to pay for the new Spainish card license which arrived in the post a few weeks later.

The test and medical and oligatory every 10 yrs if you have a Spanish License.

honda
17-12-2012, 21:46
What if you have a uk card licence but the address is your old uk address (property now sold), isthe licence still legal, both in Tenerife and in the uk ?

Goldenmaniac
18-12-2012, 00:23
What if you have a uk card licence but the address is your old uk address (property now sold), isthe licence still legal, both in Tenerife and in the uk ?
See here
https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence
If you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence
and here http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#Spanishdrivinglicence

Medanoman
20-12-2012, 02:15
when i came out here , 13 years ago i had a paper license, and before i left the uk told the dvla i lost it and got a eu photo card one too, just to have a backup in-case one was lost. The Photocard is now well out of date , but I have had to produce it a number of times to the Guardia for speeding , or the occasional shunt and its never been an issue. In fact i have relatives in the poli local who think my driving license entities me to drive everything, because the back of a uk license appears confusing to them.

julia44
12-01-2013, 09:53
Does anyone know if their is somewhere in the south where you can get a medical before going to Traffico?
Thanks

casabonny
12-01-2013, 13:52
There is a Centro de reconocimiento medico in Las Galletas on road that the Ferrateria is on or there are a few just by Trafico in Santa CRuz

Goldenmaniac
12-01-2013, 14:36
Does anyone know if their is somewhere in the south where you can get a medical before going to Traffico?
Thanks
If you want to renew an existing Spanish licence you don't have to go to Trafico there are several centres here is one in Los Cristianos http://www.reconocimientosloscristianos.com/
If you want to change or inscript your Uk licence then there are several centres right next to Trafico or you can use the local ones look for Centro de reconocimiento de conductores

little voice
12-01-2013, 17:56
can you tell me is there anywhere in the south you can go to thank you

casabonny
12-01-2013, 18:58
can you tell me is there anywhere in the south you can go to thank you
See post 36

slodgedad
12-01-2013, 21:18
It has been reported in the local press this week that residents will no longer be allowed to use a UK licence after this month.

A Sànish driving licence is obligatory..(200 euro fine)

It doesn't just apply here but all EU countries.

Tenerife Blade
12-01-2013, 23:49
It has been reported in the local press this week that residents will no longer be allowed to use a UK licence after this month.

Thanks for the info Slodge, but does anyone know if this applies to a UK licence that has been inscripted already?

slodgedad
12-01-2013, 23:52
Thanks for the info Slodge, but does anyone know if this applies to a UK licence that has been inscripted already?

As far as I know it applies to all EU licences inscripted or not.

One of the rerasons I posted was to see if anyhone had any further information

Tom & Sharon
13-01-2013, 07:36

Copied and pasted fom JA's website because I didn't know if I was allowed to post the link:-

"I was going to post this in a week’s time but a flurry of emails on the subject suggests it’s as well to post now to avoid confusion. An EU directive, 2012/126/EU, which comes into force on 19 January means that there will be changes to driving licence rules for some expatriate residents in Spain.

The EU law is intended to “harmonise” licensing throughout Europe so that drivers from countries with permanently valid licences (e.g. France), or licences of very long validity (e.g. the UK), will have to comply with the same rules as residents of the countries in which they live, and which issue licences for set periods of time. These drivers will now have to take a medical test every ten years if under 65, or every 5 years if over 65. The rules will apply to all British drivers in Spain once they have been resident here for two years, and Trafico will impose a €200 fine on anyone who has failed to do so.

The medical tests are taken in specific centres known as centros de reconocimiento (list HERE), and comprise a manual dexterity test (a hand-eye coordination test rather like a computer game) and an eye test. Providing the test is passed, Tráfico will register the licence holder in the Spanish drivers’ census: from that moment, drivers will have to renew their licences as the Spanish currently do; they will also be subject to Spain’s penalty points system.

It appears that British drivers will be able to keep their British licences, since the change relates specifically to medicals and the penalty system. Because drivers will be registered without a new computer-generated Spanish driving licence being issued, those attending the medical will therefore need to take a photograph for Trafico’s records.

Clearly, however, drivers have the option of not just taking the medical, but of changing their licence once and for all to a Spanish licence: the only reason many have not done so is because of the medical anyway, and it is important to note that failing to tell the DVLA that one is resident in Spain is an offence in the UK. Many (if now not all) of the centros de reconocimiento undertake all the paperwork necessary to make the change to a Spanish licence in addition to performing the medical."

So presumably now, if you get stopped by the police, and you are in posession of a residencia rather than just an NIE, which is more than 2 years old, and you have no medical, you will be handed a fine for 200€. Nice one!

Goldenmaniac
13-01-2013, 12:28

A Spanish driving licence is obligatory..(200 euro fine)

That's not true Slodge, what are obligatory are the medical tests at the same intervals according to age as for Spanish licence holders - granted it's easier to change your licence because then you get reminders about the medicals, but there's still no obligation to change your licence.
If you keep your UK one you'll have to remember when your medicals are due and carry the pass paper with you.
You will however have to renew your licence when the photo runs out (10years)

http://newsinthesun.com/tenerife-residents-with-uk-driving-licences-face-a-200-euro-fine/
http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#Spanishdrivinglicence

slodgedad
13-01-2013, 14:06
That's not true Slodge, what are obligatory are the medical tests at the same intervals according to age as for Spanish licence holders - granted it's easier to change your licence because then you get reminders about the medicals, but there's still no obligation to change your licence.
If you keep your UK one you'll have to remember when your medicals are due and carry the pass paper with you

http://newsinthesun.com/tenerife-residents-with-uk-driving-licences-face-a-200-euro-fine/

Thanks. In the report I read HERE (http://www.tenerife-weekly.com/local-news/driving-licence-law-changes/) it is bit confusing.

deepdivejunkie
13-01-2013, 17:42
Here are two Spanish website on the subject:

http://pateticowebmaster.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/conductores-extranjeros-renovar-carnet.html

http://www.aeaclub.org/aea-informa/205-conductores-extranjeros-renovar-carnet

honda
13-01-2013, 22:29
If you keep your UK one you'll have to remember when your medicals are due and carry the pass paper with you.
You will however have to renew your licence when the photo runs out (10years)

Thanks for the info on your web site. Have checked the list of places to get the medical. Does anyone know if any of these places are English speaking ? Adeje, L.A. areas.

slodgedad
14-01-2013, 00:52
Thanks for the info on your web site. Have checked the list of places to get the medical. Does anyone know if any of these places are English speaking ? Adeje, L.A. areas.

I would be very surprised if they were.

Goldenmaniac
14-01-2013, 10:13
Thanks for the info on your web site. Have checked the list of places to get the medical. Does anyone know if any of these places are English speaking ? Adeje, L.A. areas. Luck of the draw Honda, there are some individuals in some places that have some English, many Ext Pats seem to manage things OK though

craftycarder
14-01-2013, 10:33
The one in Las Galletas is only open from 4pm to 5.30pm Monday to Friday

honda
14-01-2013, 10:53
Have just tried Costa Adeje Hospital and told they do not do the medical.

Megaloo
14-01-2013, 21:59
[QUOTE=honda;253272]Have just tried Costa Adeje Hospital and told they do not do the medical.[/Q

The test must be done at one of the centres. A friend enquired at a clinic here in the North but no they told her you must go to one of the centres.

bonitatime
14-01-2013, 23:48
Where are you so someone can tell your nearest centre

Tenerife Blade
15-01-2013, 08:11
My wife had her licence inscripted in 2007. Does she still need a medical now, or is she OK for another 4 years. She is under the age of 50.

We didn't require medicals when we had them inscripted, and I didn't require one when I exchanged my UK licence for a Spanish one, 2 years ago.

Megaloo
15-01-2013, 10:02
My wife had her licence inscripted in 2007. Does she still need a medical now, or is she OK for another 4 years. She is under the age of 50.

We didn't require medicals when we had them inscripted, and I didn't require one when I exchanged my UK licence for a Spanish one, 2 years ago.

What I understand is that you both will need a medical that is law from 19th January Under 65 is every 10 years over every 5 yrs. Well lets say that is how I read the information.

honda
15-01-2013, 11:53
Where are you so someone can tell your nearest centre

Thanks, but sorted now. Went to a place in Los Cris, near to Tele pizza. Simples :nursepatient:

Goldenmaniac
15-01-2013, 12:10

Blade the rules have changed since you did yours but in your circumstances your Spanish licence will expire after 5/10 whatever years depending on your age at that point you will do the medical - in fact you will renew your licence at the medical centre.

If your wife stayed with just the inscription she would normally get a reminder -depending on her age but she should do the medical now in any case because of the 19th cut off

Rambi
15-01-2013, 18:05
Hi,
I'm 70 on the 24th of this month and I already have my new UK licence which has to be renewed every five years now. Do I still need to change to a Spanish licence, seeing as it has to be renewed every five years, which is now the same as in Spain? I guess the answer is yes but I would be grateful for an informed answer as I have learnt that guessing in Spain is about as safe as trying to cross the roundabout at Los Cristianos.

Cheers.

Tenerife Sun
15-01-2013, 20:25
Rambo I am sure I am right in saying that you will still need the medical to conform with the new law that comes into force on Saturday, the 19th of January. I am nearly as old as you and did mine this morning without any problems. You will be given an eye test, just reading the chart like in the opticians. Asked a few health questions, ie are you on medication and what are you taking (I took mine with me but didn't need to show it. Also you do a 'hand to eye' test which involves keeping a 'car' on a rolling road, but again nothing to worry about. You will need to take a new driving licence size photo, your residential, current English licence and passport. When they give you the paper you need to keep it with you when driving and you have three months to go to Trafico and register it.

As far as I know this is correct

Rambi
15-01-2013, 21:18
Thanks Tenerife Sun,
'Nearly as old as I'. I'm not sure there are that many of us left. Thanks for your concise and very helpful reply. If I do change my licence will I be able to keep my UK licence? If not I'm not sure the local 'Plod' in Wiltshire will be able to cope with the Spanish version or is the UK adopting this new EU ruling as well?

It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get it done, but I won't have time to do it before the 19th. I just hope the Guardia will allow us some time and not be as keen to fine us as they are now appearing to be.

Thanks again

Rambi. (It's a cross between the hard and tough Rambo and the soft and gentle Bambi)

Tenerife Sun
15-01-2013, 22:00
I read on the DVLA site that if you move back to the UK and you have a Spanish licence you are given 12 months to change it.

Rambi
16-01-2013, 00:27
Thanks Tenerife Sun,
As I go back to the UK on an occasional basis I shall try and hang on to my UK licence as well. It's going to be a lot easier for car hire, etc. I still have a UK address so that shouldn't be too difficult, even if I re-apply.

Cheers.

cressrt
16-01-2013, 09:20
Not sure why you would expect any problems hiring a car in UK with a Spanish Licence, it happens all the time! We have them and have had no problems, also police would see little difference other than an "E" instead of "UK" on the card.

Tenerife Sun
16-01-2013, 09:46
My husband always hired and drove on his Spanish licence when in UK with no problems at all

Rambi
16-01-2013, 10:52
I thought Hire Car companies checked with the DVLA when you hired a car and I presumed it was to make sure you were eligible to drive. I've probably got it wrong.

Thanks Cressrt and Tenerife Sun.

waveydavey
16-01-2013, 12:11
Perhaps someone on here can help me,I have been told that you do not need a medical when you first apply for a Spanish diving licence when surrendering your British licence.I am 65 years of age.Could anyone tell me.

Tenerife Sun
16-01-2013, 12:19
We have always booked our hire car for the UK online and picked it up at the airport where they look at the licence of any driver. We have never been questioned or had any problems.

honda
16-01-2013, 14:20
People from all over the world hire cars in the UK, with a licence from their own country. Don't worry about it :tiphat:

TF1
16-01-2013, 14:22
Hi, the law has just been passed, but no fines will be made for non-compliance until January 2015. You do NOT have to change to a Spanish license!
You have two choices;- (1) register your UK licence with traffico every 5 years (2) take a drivers medical test every 5 years.
The registration takes a few months and costs 8€, whilst they send your UK license to Madrid for verification, you'll have a document from traffico to allow you to drive.

Megaloo
16-01-2013, 14:46
I understand it that whether you keep your UK license or change to Spanish you require a medical and if you keep your Uk license you need to rigister it with traffico.

I enquired this morning at the centre where they do the medicals for a friend, she had her UK license registered originally but now has her new one as she is 70 but I was told she now has to register the new license with Traffico and have a medical again.

Goldenmaniac
16-01-2013, 16:18
That used to be the case Wavey but now if you have held a residencia for more than two years, now you will need the medical before you apply

Rambi
16-01-2013, 16:20
What rattled my cage was the report in the Tenerife Weekly which says
"The authorities are aware that there are thousands of foreign drivers living in Spain who may be unaware of the changes to the law, so AEA has started an information campaign especially for foreign resident foreign drivers in Spain, www.aeaclub.org in order for them to avoid having to pay the 200 Euros penalty which will be imposed on any driver that fails to renew its licence in the specified time"

When I tried the website it was all in Spanish. Not a great deal of help for those thousands of foreign resident drivers. However if you wanted to join their walking, sailing, cycling and all the other club activities, these websites were in English.

I can't understand why this should be. I just have to shrug my shoulders again and say, It's Spain.

honda
16-01-2013, 18:01
Does anyone know of a place, that I can pay to sort out the transfer to a Spanish licence for me, in the San Eugenio/L.A. area. I do not have time to go to Traffico myself and speak very little Spanish.

Tom & Sharon
17-01-2013, 16:20
Hi, the law has just been passed, but no fines will be made for non-compliance until January 2015. You do NOT have to change to a Spanish license!
You have two choices;- (1) register your UK licence with traffico every 5 years (2) take a drivers medical test every 5 years.
The registration takes a few months and costs 8€, whilst they send your UK license to Madrid for verification, you'll have a document from traffico to allow you to drive.

Can anybody else confirm this, cos if we''re not going to get fined, I'm not going to rush to do anything?

princessmonika
17-01-2013, 16:23
I have the NIE green paper, i bought a house here in tenerife, but i am only here 6 month per year, i have a valid irish driving licences
do i have to change to a spanish? very confused ,

honda
17-01-2013, 16:36
I have just been to change my licence to a Spanish one. Was told by the woman that does all of the Traffico paperwork that no HAS to change to a Spanish licence. Her office was packed and out of the door this morning, with French, German and British people panicking because of the so called law changes.
She asked me to inform friends, that the law has been passed by the members of the European Union but it is up to the individual countries when the new laws are implemented. This could take 12 months, 2 years. No one knows when it will be implemented in Spain.
Am a little p'ed off myself as I had to pay 45 euro's for a medical which I did not need, and can't really afford. :mad:

Megaloo
17-01-2013, 19:27
I think that where the confusion is that you now need a medical to drive here on your UK license and must have conformation of this in the car you also need to register your license with Traffico but there is no need to change it to a Spansh one. Although 19th January is mentioned it would seem that they cannot fine you until after January 2015, but I am sure someone more knowledgable than me will be on to explain again the situation

The law is for anyone who has had a Residencia for two years or more.

Not sure how it affects swallows, but I presume if you own your own car they would want you to conform???

skin12089
17-01-2013, 20:03
you can do medical in adeje near the post office

Megaloo
17-01-2013, 20:28
I have just been to change my licence to a Spanish one. Was told by the woman that does all of the Traffico paperwork that no HAS to change to a Spanish licence. Her office was packed and out of the door this morning, with French, German and British people panicking because of the so called law changes.
She asked me to inform friends, that the law has been passed by the members of the European Union but it is up to the individual countries when the new laws are implemented. This could take 12 months, 2 years. No one knows when it will be implemented in Spain.
Am a little p'ed off myself as I had to pay 45 euro's for a medical which I did not need, and can't really afford. :mad:

i think you will find the Medical is 40 Euros this is what I paid which you need whether you change your license or not,? OK we need not have rushed but if it is done then there will be no mad panic when they start charging the 200 Euros
fine if you have not got the paperwork

Goldenmaniac
17-01-2013, 20:44
I wouldn't be peed off honda it was bad advice the SPANISH law has been in effect since 2009 see http://ebookbrowse.com/resumen-del-nuevo-reglamento-general-de-conductores-rd-818-2009-doc-pdf-d41672310 page 12

El titular de un permiso de conducción expedido en uno de estos Estados que haya adquirido su residencia normal en España quedará sometido a las disposiciones españolas relativas a su período de vigencia, de control de sus aptitudes psicofísicas y de asignación de un crédito de puntos. Cuando se trate de un permiso de conducción no sujeto a un período de vigencia determinado, su titular deberá proceder a su renovación, una vez transcurridos dos años desde que establezca su residencia normal en España, a los efectos de aplicarle los plazos de vigencia previstos en el artículo 12.

I have NEVER said change of licence was required ONLY compliance with medical testing - which you have now done

This is part of Royal decree 818 of 2009 "The requirement for holders of licences from other states valid for driving in Spain must comply with SPANISH driving fitness medical test regulations" etc etc

What is changing (as usual it seems these days) is the enforcement of this regulation given the opportunity to boost the coffers - in my opinion your euros were well spent

Chapter 2 section 1a article 15 point 4 page 48083 of the actual BOE http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2009/06/08/pdfs/BOE-A-2009-9481.pdf

imablue
18-01-2013, 21:26
Take a look at this...
http://www.canarianweekly.com/

cressrt
18-01-2013, 21:33
Update from JA's site:

Update 18 January: Further confirmation from Trafico today specifically for those who are thinking of changing to a Spanish licence: British licence holders who exchange valid British licences for Spanish ones will be processed and given a new ten-year Spanish licence without the requirement for a medical. HERE http://www.aeaclub.org/aea-informa/205-conductores-extranjeros-renovar-carnet, in case anyone wishes to see for themselves, is advice from the European Motorist Association.

May be worth considering!

Megaloo
19-01-2013, 02:09
Update from JA's site:

Update 18 January: Further confirmation from Trafico today specifically for those who are thinking of changing to a Spanish licence: British licence holders who exchange valid British licences for Spanish ones will be processed and given a new ten-year Spanish licence without the requirement for a medical. HERE http://www.aeaclub.org/aea-informa/205-conductores-extranjeros-renovar-carnet, in case anyone wishes to see for themselves, is advice from the European Motorist Association.

May be worth considering!

You probably have to be under 55 to do this as I thought in Spain a license has to be renewed every 5 years over 65 but may be I have got it wrong.

princessmonika
19-01-2013, 08:01
no need to change your UK licences -- read canarian weekly--

Megaloo
19-01-2013, 10:52
no need to change your UK licences -- read canarian weekly--

What I am finding confusing reading Canarian Weekly is they are now saying we do not need to go to Traffico either to inscript the license, when I had my medical they told me I had to but had 3 months to do it.???

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

What I am finding confusing reading Canarian Weekly is they are now saying we do not need to go to Traffico either to inscript the license, when I had my medical they told me I had to but had 3 months to do it.???

This is what I read
There is no need for your driving licence to be stamped or inscripted as is the term any longer, Traffico have confirmed this to theCanarian Weekly

cainaries
19-01-2013, 12:47
End of the day for pink UK licences though, I think? It specifically refers to the photocard licences.

bigbite
19-01-2013, 17:51
i've got my photocard licence but the counterpart is ripped and half of it is lost, if i carry the photocard part will that ok or will they ask for the paper bit

casabonny
19-01-2013, 18:14
You must read Goldenmanics postings as she has made perfectly clear the situacion regarding the licences and ITS NOT HOW CANARIAN WEEKLY have reported.This is not the first time that they have printed info that is incorrect with regard to motor and car /driving related matters .
The info she is giving to her cleints and on here is exactly what we have been saying and advising our clients although many have now opted to switch thier licnces to a spanish one.
The UK paper licence is not a European one ( as such) as is not acceptable here , you should have a card licecne ( see DVLA site for more info on that IF YOU ARE A UK RESIDENT).
BTW where in Tenerife have you ever heard of photocopies of paperwok being accepted ?????? Come on folks read between the lines, even the Spanish are required BY LAW to carry thier ORIGINAL DNI with them at all times, why should we as foreigners be treated differently?Also you either live here and abide by thier rules or you live in the Uk and abilde by thiers , you cant have it both ways whether it be for driving, health, tax etc .

klm
28-01-2013, 11:12
This came off the aea club page:
"New EU directive on driving licenses

From the 19/1/13 all driving licences issued in the EU will have expiration date limited to 10 or 15 years, if it's drivers up to 50 years or less from that age, according to what established each country in its national legislation.

However, although currently there are driver's licenses with unlimited validity or validity periods exceeding those indicated the new directive establishes that their owners will have to renew them within the same time limits required national drivers from the two years in which to acquire residence in another EU country.

In Spain, the term given to the driver class A permits (motorcycles) or B (cars) is for 10 years, when its holder has failed to 65 years of age, or for 5 years for drivers with higher age.

Therefore, since 1/19/13 all drivers community residents in Spain will demand to renew your driving licence in the same conditions as any Spanish driver from age two who acquire their residence in Spain (which already had it prior to the 19/1/13, will require them from 19/1/15) with independence that your current permission has no expiration date or this is greater than 10 years.

The procedure will be from the 19/1/15 attending any authorized Centre of medical examination for drivers and thereafter will give you high in the Census of drivers of traffic in Spain and shall be subject to the same deadlines for renewal of your permit and points than any other driver Spanish regime."

So from what I see there are two ways of doing this:

1) You keep your own driving licence but have it noted with " trafico" and have the medical checks every 10 years for under 65 and every 5 years for 65 and over unless you are disabled. You are then subject to regular medical checks and the "points" system.

2) Or you can swop in your licence for the spanish equivalent WITHOUT a medical check , I imagine when it comes to renewal you will need the medical . Your original licence will be sent back to your country.

You are not obliged to do this until 19th Jan 2015, but there are some police that are wrongly giving fines to people now of 200€.

But then again things can change !

casabonny
28-01-2013, 13:33
This has already been quoted and as such will not be law until 2015 BUT there is a Spanish law which has been in place for some years that requires those with a Spanish Residencia to have a Spanish licence and of course the police will , I have absolutly no doubt be enforcing this in order to get the fines in.
Also it's prudent to note that if you are NOT a uK resident then you have to obtain a licence in the local country g this is clearly stated on the DVLA site , but so many have chosen to ignore this up until now.

klm
28-01-2013, 14:33
Quite true ! On the dgt website they are still quoting the law of 6 months residence , haven't seen the new one come up yet. Probably meaning anyone who's been here for more than 6 months stands the risk of getting fined anyway.

Megaloo
28-01-2013, 16:44
Friends of mine had the medical last week and went to Traffico on Friday to be told there is nothing more to do so after being there over an hour walked out without doing anything further.

cainaries
28-01-2013, 17:37
Friends of mine had the medical last week and went to Traffico on Friday to be told there is nothing more to do so after being there over an hour walked out without doing anything further.

Megaloo ... do you mean they are driving on their UK photocard licences plus the medical approval form? I did the medical last week and am about to set off to our local trafico tomorrow. OH had to change his in BUT his UK licence had expired. Mine hasn't expired so we shall see what we shall see.

Trouble with things here is that there is never any point in assuming that what is good for one is good for all!!!

Megaloo
28-01-2013, 23:14
Megaloo ... do you mean they are driving on their UK photocard licences plus the medical approval form? I did the medical last week and am about to set off to our local trafico tomorrow. OH had to change his in BUT his UK licence had expired. Mine hasn't expired so we shall see what we shall see.

Trouble with things here is that there is never any point in assuming that what is good for one is good for all!!!

Hi Canaries they are driving on their Uk licenses and went to traffico to inscript them or whatever one has to do as their's had not expired, but they did nothing.
They were not muddled with language either as both speak fluent Spanish.

On the other hand someone else went with Spanish written down translated from google and came out still with his UK license but with another piece of paper which he thinks is permission to drive on his UK license he just paid 8.10 cents.
I am going Thursday so will be interested to kno how you get on tomorrow.

slodgedad
28-01-2013, 23:24
Fromtalking to people that are in the know, a British photo licence is fine as it has an expiry date but still needs inscription but an old fashioned paper licence, like mine but inscripted, needs a valid medical, after the due date, to keep iy legal.

Please correct me if I'm wrong otherwise I'm dodging the fine man

Megaloo
29-01-2013, 00:17
Fromtalking to people that are in the know, a British photo licence is fine as it has an expiry date but still needs inscription but an old fashioned paper licence, like mine but inscripted, needs a valid medical, after the due date, to keep iy legal.

Please correct me if I'm wrong otherwise I'm dodging the fine man

Everyone I know here in the North have
a photo license but have still gone for the medical, so not really sure one keeps hearing different stories, but I am going to traffico on Thursday just to make sure I do the right thing. I thnk it is a good way of Spain making some money at 40 Euros a time for the Medical.

cainaries
29-01-2013, 00:23
Everyone I know here in the North have
a photo license but have still gone for the medical, so not really sure one keeps hearing different stories, but I am going to traffico on Thursday just to make sure I do the right thing. I thnk it is a good way of Spain making some money at 40 Euros a time for the Medical.

Last point is certainly true. I sat in the queue with the form reading it carefully so when the doctor went through the 30 odd questions I would have rehearsed my answers. He asked if I had been in hospital in the last 5 years, my weight, my height (wise to know these in metric,btw) and what pills I took every day. Then he drew a line through all the others, gave me a very basic eyesight test, stamped it, signed it and told me I'd passed. You have to pay before you start the process, btw.

Slodgey, I have a pink UK licence, sin foto, and this is what made me think I had to get it changed because it is my understanding, yet to be corrected, that the pink licences are no longer valid in the UK? I do wish someone would come on here and deny or confirm this. Obviously if they are no longer valid in the UK, I don't think we can use them here!!

slodgedad
29-01-2013, 00:33
Last point is certainly true. I sat in the queue with the form reading it carefully so when the doctor went through the 30 odd questions I would have rehearsed my answers. He asked if I had been in hospital in the last 5 years, my weight, my height (wise to know these in metric,btw) and what pills I took every day. Then he drew a line through all the others, gave me a very basic eyesight test, stamped it, signed it and told me I'd passed. You have to pay before you start the process, btw.

Slodgey, I have a pink UK licence, sin foto, and this is what made me think I had to get it changed because it is my understanding, yet to be corrected, that the pink licences are no longer valid in the UK? I do wish someone would come on here and deny or confirm this. Obviously if they are no longer valid in the UK, I don't think we can use them here!!
Me too.
My wife's UK photo licence ran out a few years ago and she opted for a Spanish one.

I had my old paper one inscripted and was told at the time that t was fine.

Now I'm having doubts

julia44
29-01-2013, 07:11
My friend and I went to Traffico last week with a neighbour to translate for us. He told the man at the information counter we would like to change our UK licences for Spanish, we were both given a number then waited about 15 minutes. At the counter the lady looked at our licences and passports and kept the photocopies, we filled in a paper with our name, signature and phone number, she wrote on our current licence number gave us a copy to keep in the car and said it will take about 45 days for verification and they would ring us to come back and no charge. Total time at the counter 5 minutes.
We dont know how much we pay when we go back forgot to ask

Goldenmaniac
29-01-2013, 08:00
My friend and I went to Traffico last week with a neighbour to translate for us. He told the man at the information counter we would like to change our UK licences for Spanish, we were both given a number then waited about 15 minutes. At the counter the lady looked at our licences and passports and kept the photocopies, we filled in a paper with our name, signature and phone number, she wrote on our current licence number gave us a copy to keep in the car and said it will take about 45 days for verification and they would ring us to come back and no charge. Total time at the counter 5 minutes.
We dont know how much we pay when we go back forgot to ask
If your friend paid 8 euros 10 cents then he has made an application to inscript the UK license.

Lets re-itrate again as confirmed with Trafico (senior) civil servant last Wednesday

1) As far as Spain is concerned currently there is still NO obligation to either inscript or exchange (canje) your UK plastic licence provided your driving entitlement is still in force (ie up until age 70)

2) If you are resident here then you should really be complying with medical testing regs - as per EXISTING 2009 directive http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2009/06/08/pdfs/BOE-A-2009-9481.pdf - however the medical paper would have to be carried with you as CURRENTLY there is no system for just registering the medical compliance.

3) In 2015 you will be required not only to comply with medical testing regulations but renewal and points accumulation regulations, nearer that time the actual system to do so will be announced.

4) However even now - if you go back to the UK to visit and driving with a UK plastic license where the photo date has expired you will be liable to a fine there for non compliance with UK regs.

5) If you still have a pink or even green paper licence this is NOT valid to drive here as it is NOT a European license.

6) A previously inscripted UK license can be exchanged on the spot for a Spanish license - you will require the medical if the inscription renewal date is up (see the small A5 paper you have been given)

7) If you are inscripting or exchanging a UK licence for the first time you DO NOT need the medical - although you MAY already have one if you have been complying with the point 2 above prior to your decision to exchange.

In my personal opinion it makes sense to Canje (Exchange) your UK license for a Spanish one to avoid the hassle of -

worry about the photo expiry date,

worry about replacement in the event of theft or loss (much easier if you have a Spanish one)
or if you have a paper style license -

Worry about the looming change in regulations,

plus the convenience of having Spanish photo ID

BUT CURRENTLY IT IS NOT OBLIGATORY (when the 2015 deadline for the new European regs http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32006L0126:EN:HTML approaches the system for enforcing it will be put in place by that time)

and remember nothing is irreversible - if you were to return to the UK for good you would simply contact DVLA and trade in your Spanish one for a UK one again. If you are resident here and using your Spanish plastic license to drive there - contrary to folk law there is NO problem hiring a car (I have personally done it many times!)

see also http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#Spanishdrivinglicence

julia44
29-01-2013, 09:37
If your friend paid 8 euros 10 cents then he has made an application to inscript the UK license.

Lets re-itrate again as confirmed with Trafico (senior) civil servant last Wednesday

1) As far as Spain is concerned currently there is still NO obligation to either inscript or exchange (canje) your UK plastic licence provided your driving entitlement is still in force (ie up until age 70)

2) If you are resident here then you should really be complying with medical testing regs - as per EXISTING 2009 directive http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2009/06/08/pdfs/BOE-A-2009-9481.pdf - however the medical paper would have to be carried with you as CURRENTLY there is no system for just registering the medical compliance.

3) In 2015 you will be required not only to comply with medical testing regulations but renewal and points accumulation regulations, nearer that time the actual system to do so will be announced.

4) However even now - if you go back to the UK to visit and driving with a UK plastic license where the photo date has expired you will be liable to a fine there for non compliance with UK regs.

5) If you still have a pink or even green paper licence this is NOT valid to drive here as it is NOT a European license.

6) A previously inscripted UK license can be exchanged on the spot for a Spanish license - you will require the medical if the inscription renewal date is up (see the small A5 paper you have been given)

7) If you are inscripting or exchanging a UK licence for the first time you DO NOT need the medical - although you MAY already have one if you have been complying with the point 2 above prior to your decision to exchange.

In my personal opinion it makes sense to Canje (Exchange) your UK license for a Spanish one to avoid the hassle of -

worry about replacement in the event of theft or loss (much easier if you have a Spanish one)

BUT CURRENTLY IT IS NOT OBLIGATORY (when the 2015 deadline for the new European regs http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32006L0126:EN:HTML approaches the system for enforcing it will be put in place by that time)

and remember nothing is irreversible - if you were to return to the UK for good you would simply contact DVLA and trade in your Spanish one for a UK one again. If you are resident here and using your Spanish plastic license to drive there - contrary to folk law there is NO problem hiring a car (I have personally done it many times!)

My friend and I did not pay anything on this occasion we are changing to Spanish licences. The point I was trying to make was the whole process in Traffico was quick and efficient unlike every other offical place I have been to and I did not have to get my little blue stapler out of my handbag.

cressrt
29-01-2013, 09:50
Is not illegal to drive with an out of date UK Photo ID either in UK or here?

Goldenmaniac
29-01-2013, 12:14
My friend and I did not pay anything on this occasion we are changing to Spanish licences. The point I was trying to make was the whole process in Traffico was quick and efficient unlike every other offical place I have been to and I did not have to get my little blue stapler out of my handbag.

You will pay 27 euros and 10 cents each (it went up a few cents this month) when you are called back for the second visit to Trafico. Anyone who PREVIOUSLY inscripted their UK license and now wishes to exchange will pay 22 euros 90.

I'm glad you had no hassle, and that you didn't need your stapler (great video wasn't it?) or your whitener :) ..... but the point I was making, was to bring everything together again in one post (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?1651-Exchanging-a-UK-driving-licence-for-a-Spanish-one&p=258035&viewfull=1#post258035) for those who are perhaps not so confident as yourself.

Is not illegal to drive with an out of date UK Photo ID either in UK or here?

According to the functionary at Trafico they (CURRENTLY) are not interested in the photo renewal date on the UK license as long as the entitlement final date is still current (ie before age 70) However that may or may not be the view of a Trafico cop :) just another reason (IN MY OPINION - NOT OBLIGATORY) for exchanging to a Spanish license.

Steve 4
30-01-2013, 19:04

Quality posting, Goldenmaniac - thanks for the detailed information.

little voice
22-03-2013, 16:11
Could I ask a straight a forward question if you take all the things mentioned above a medical included, photo, license, card and paper, Residencia, Passport all copies will you get the new license there and then ?

casabonny
22-03-2013, 16:24
If you license has previously been inscripted even if its run out less than a year ago you will be able to do a substitution but will only get a temporary license which is valid for three months and the original is sent by post.
if license has never been presented or inscripted it has to be verified with the UK first , they say 45 days but as they are now doing this by e mail it's generally much quicker.

Goldenmaniac
22-03-2013, 16:58
2 applicants with UK plastic licences got an answer it just over a week, but a client with an old style green paper licence is having to wait the 45 days - not sure of the correlation if any, but interesting.

casabonny
22-03-2013, 17:16
I have had cleints with a stolen license who Trafico have had replies from next day! Both plastic and paper type but generally now it's about 2/3 days and the week before last I had Silvia chasing me with a list of those verified to save her emailing or ringing me! how efficient is that .

bigbite
22-03-2013, 18:47
how long is it before you have to do something with a U.K. license, when you have your Residencia

Goldenmaniac
22-03-2013, 20:01
how long is it before you have to do something with a U.K. license, when you have your Residencia
As it says several times above:
Currently (Mar 2013) it is not obligatory ie you don't HAVE to
In 2015 you will be required not only to comply with medical testing regulations but renewal and points accumulation regulations, nearer that time the actual system to do so will be announced.

callaopam
17-07-2013, 16:15
Can anybody tell me how long it takes for the paper and tarjeta to come through, as I have to go back to the UK in
October and I do not think I can hire a car on a temporary licence, especially if it runs out before I come back!!

casabonny
17-07-2013, 20:34
That depends but you can always get anInternational license to drive in the Uk