PDA

View Full Version : The much forgotten north of Tenerife

tracy hampshire
13-05-2012, 22:53
after 3 years of living in puerto de la cruz, which is lovely by the way, i have finally come back to the first place i ever visited in tenerife, the place i fell in love with when i came here, icod de los vinos, what a wonderful little local town it is, we have rented an semi detached 1 bedroomed house, with a great big roof terrace , and it is glorious with views of the mountains & sea, for less than you pay for a small studio in puerto, the cost of living is cheaper in these small local places , & so many wonderful places to visit, spent the day at the natural rock pools at garachico today, so people if you don´t mind the canarian way of life, and want to live reasonably, don´t forget the north, PS, forget the cold north rubbish, the weather is glorious:)

AL JAY
13-05-2012, 23:01
Sounds idyllic Tracy, Its on my list of must do's next time im over!

chifleta
14-05-2012, 13:07
I lived in Garachico for nearly a year, many many many moons ago, it's my OH's hometown, and where my lovely in-laws live.... always love visiting, but I prefer to live in the South :)

Harmonicaman
14-05-2012, 16:48
Too many tourists round that damn tree for my liking...:wink:

AL JAY
14-05-2012, 18:41

I was only going for the Vinos bit...:trink2::whistle:

Rickiebear
14-05-2012, 20:10
Hi, after visiting Puerto de la Cruz, as a child many years ago, we bought a home in a suburb of the town, I love it, and having visited many towns since, Puerto still pulls my heart strings. Like you, it my be lovely memories from the past.

Suej
15-05-2012, 13:07

Ha Ha! I wouldn't mind but in my opinion it's nothing to write home about! Wasn't impressed at all :laugh:

grimley
22-05-2012, 15:31
we will have to visit icod when we come over later in year you make it sound great

tracy hampshire
22-05-2012, 20:55
yes suej, a tree is a tree, seen nicer trees elsewhere, but i do love the little town & the beach & little harbour in san marcos x

canarybird
22-05-2012, 23:26
I was just down to Playa San Marcos the other day with my daughter and her friend. As our favourite fish restaurant, Casa Maria, was closed for a refurbish, we sat on the opposite side of the bay and had a lovely lunch of fresh pasta, overlooking the sea and listening to the waves on the black volcanic sand.
One of my favourite excursions from Pto. de la Cruz is a trip down island to there or to Garachico for a short drive and a lunch.
http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-L6FkdBc/0/L/P1150323-L.jpg

Playa San Marcos

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-tCqrnZj/0/L/P1150345-redu-L.jpg

Fishing from the wharf in Garachico

Canarybird

grimley
23-05-2012, 11:37
how long does bus take from pdlc may be have look when we come over later in year oh do bus run there

chifleta
23-05-2012, 11:45
http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-tCqrnZj/0/L/P1150345-redu-L.jpg

Fishing from the wharf in Garachico

Playa San Marcos
Canarybird
ooooops, you caught me snoozing while I supposed to be catching lunch :shy: .... I'm off to Garachico on Sunday for one of my nephews Comunion, then Canarian lunch up at sis-in-laws in Genoves, lots of food and noise :crazy: ....

Brian
23-05-2012, 12:27
how long does bus take from pdlc may be have look when we come over later in year oh do bus run there

The 363 bus from Puerto takes about half an hour to Icod. The 354 takes a more scenic route but takes twice as long.

grimley
23-05-2012, 16:41
thanks alot for that.maybe you can help thinking of renting in the north has we both retired is there any concessions for over 65 i.e health care like tablets do i have to pay for them thats the only concern i have about moving they could us a small fortune

Megaloo
23-05-2012, 18:26
thanks alot for that.maybe you can help thinking of renting in the north has we both retired is there any concessions for over 65 i.e health care like tablets do i have to pay for them thats the only concern i have about moving they could us a small fortune

If you are a pensioner here your healthcare is free also prescriptions, but you would need to register here and come out or the English system, if you were a swallow I think you are still able to go to a Doctor with your European card and passport and still obtain a prescription, but someone else with more knowledge can help answer this I am sure.

captain beefheart
23-05-2012, 21:02
sounds a great place, i will have to visit when im over in october, we are thinking of spending 4 months during winter in tenerife and will have to checkout the north.thanks for the info.

Rickiebear
23-05-2012, 22:01
Hi Captain, for a long stay, Puerto de la Cruz, Oratava or Icod, would make a good choice, as they are local towns. Puerto is also a good holiday resort. As others have said both accommodation and supermarkets are cheaper.

grimley
24-05-2012, 08:50
thanks for that we will check it all out when we come over

canarybird
26-05-2012, 18:50
Puerto de la Cruz:

Out this morning with my walking friend, we went down from La Paz to Plaza del Charco, where we had a tapas lunch at the Bar Central - known for good Spanish omelettes and an amazing bruschetta of a tender jamon serrano on crispy bread with chopped tomato, olive oil and a creamy sauce. (To die for.) Today we had the omelette, a tomato and onion salad and pimientos de Padrón. We passed the Hotel Monopol where a lady in Canary dress was arranging the fresh hibiscus and bougainvillea on the doorstep.
They've been doing this every day since I can remember and I've lived here for over 25 years.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-tZ5b2sv/0/L/P1150508-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-SXXx493/0/L/P1150509-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-kDDBS4B/0/L/P1150510-L.jpg

And here's that incredible bruschetta which I sampled the other day with my daughter:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-2bTJqwc/0/L/P1150388-redu-L.jpg

Canarybird

grimley
26-05-2012, 19:15
wish we were there still won`t be long now

Rickiebear
26-05-2012, 21:20
Hi, lovely photographs, we often walk past here to look at the sea, as many thousands must have done. There are always fresh flowers on these steps, for as long as I can remember.

Saltnpepper
27-05-2012, 22:14
Puerto de la Cruz:

Out this morning with my walking friend, we went down from La Paz to Plaza del Charco, where we had a tapas lunch at the Bar Central - known for good Spanish omelettes and an amazing bruschetta of a tender jamon serrano on crispy bread with chopped tomato, olive oil and a creamy sauce. (To die for.) Today we had the omelette, a tomato and onion salad and pimientos de Padrón. We passed the Hotel Monopol where a lady in Canary dress was arranging the fresh hibiscus and bougainvillea on the doorstep.
They've been doing this every day since I can remember and I've lived here for over 25 years.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-tZ5b2sv/0/L/P1150508-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-SXXx493/0/L/P1150509-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-kDDBS4B/0/L/P1150510-L.jpg

And here's that incredible bruschetta which I sampled the other day with my daughter:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Nature/Spring-2012/i-2bTJqwc/0/L/P1150388-redu-L.jpg

Canarybird

We stayed overnight at the Hotel Monopol a couple of years ago, it was an ideal location, we had a room overlooking the church square with Teide in the distance, it was wonderful. And it is lovely to see the lady putting out the fresh flowers every day, what a fabulous tradition.

I love the north, we had a great day out last Saturday - lunch at El Monasterio in Los Realejos (my first visit, but not my last!) then up to the Casa de Carta museum in Valle de Guerra.

Sylla
01-06-2012, 11:03
Hi, lovely photographs, we often walk past here to look at the sea, as many thousands must have done. There are always fresh flowers on these steps, for as long as I can remember.

I also love the flower ladies along the walk way ....

melm
01-06-2012, 18:39
lovely pictures. wont be too long till we are back again. thanks for photographs.

Northern Monkey
09-06-2012, 13:54
Hi everyone, just seen this thread- I live in Los Silos (the next town from Garachico). This area of Tenerife, in my opinion, is the most beautiful area on the whole island. People should check out:

The soon to be opened port in Garachico
Punta de Teno- beautiful fishing bay with views to Los Gigantes
Buenavista beach- great for kids
Buenavista golf course- brilliant Seve designed course

Also if anyone is interested in staying in this neck of the woods let me know as I help with holiday rentals

Sylla
09-06-2012, 14:19
Hi everyone, just seen this thread- I live in Los Silos (the next town from Garachico). This area of Tenerife, in my opinion, is the most beautiful area on the whole island. People should check out:

The soon to be opened port in Garachico
Punta de Teno- beautiful fishing bay with views to Los Gigantes
Buenavista beach- great for kids
Buenavista golf course- brilliant Seve designed course

Also if anyone is interested in staying in this neck of the woods let me know as I help with holiday rentals

Hi NM ....... What is this about "a soon to be opened port in Garachico" ? the first I have heard ...please tell us more ... and links if it is a news item .... Thanks

Sylla

AL JAY
09-06-2012, 14:35
Just found this pic of the new port it was taken last August,there is loads of info on google!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenerifemagazine/6963163964/

Sylla
09-06-2012, 14:46
Wow ! thanks for that AL JAY ...will take a peek at Google LOL ! :wow:

AL JAY
09-06-2012, 14:59
Also found this video of Los Silos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febL9EfBU9k

grimley
09-06-2012, 15:15
thanks northern monkey all booked up for this year have to have a ride out that way. by the way what price holiday rentals up there for two weeks

Northern Monkey
09-06-2012, 18:22
Sylla, the port was "officially" opened 3 weeks ago but it wasn't finished! typical Canarian logic! Anyway when they opened it they said it would be open 2 weeks later but this hasn't happened. I don't think there is much work left to do on it and I expect in the next month or two it will be open for business. Its a port for small boats and I think there is room for 1 or 2 larger ships and rumour has it that they are hoping to get ferries to and from La Palma.

On top of this there is talk of a project to build a funicular between Garachico and San Juan del Reparo (a small village in the hills behind Garachico) AND they are trying to build a runway between Los Silos and Buenavista for small aircraft e.g. 2 seater planes so there is a lot happening here!

I also forgot to mention that there are some really good hikes around here as well with amazing views!

Al Jay- love the video!

Grimley, prices for 2 bedroom villa with lounge, private roof terrace, private garden, kitchen and 2 bathrooms, 40 euros per night.

Hope this helps everyone!

Harmonicaman
09-06-2012, 18:49
Sylla, the port was "officially" opened 3 weeks ago but it wasn't finished! typical Canarian logic! Anyway when they opened it they said it would be open 2 weeks later but this hasn't happened. I don't think there is much work left to do on it and I expect in the next month or two it will be open for business. Its a port for small boats and I think there is room for 1 or 2 larger ships and rumour has it that they are hoping to get ferries to and from La Palma.

On top of this there is talk of a project to build a funicular between Garachico and San Juan del Reparo (a small village in the hills behind Garachico) AND they are trying to build a runway between Los Silos and Buenavista for small aircraft e.g. 2 seater planes so there is a lot happening here!

I also forgot to mention that there are some really good hikes around here as well with amazing views!

Al Jay- love the video!

Grimley, prices for 2 bedroom villa with lounge, private roof terrace, private garden, kitchen and 2 bathrooms, 40 euros per night.

Hope this helps everyone!

Garachico port...Canarian Weekly (http://www.canarianweekly.com/garachico-port-open-june/)

katax
17-06-2012, 00:23
That lady is the owner of the hotel it has been run by her family for years,now her son has taken over but she still has a lot to do with it,she puts flowers in the toilets everyday aswell!

Sylla
17-06-2012, 12:06
Thank you all AJ... NM...and HM ..for all the info ..loved the video ....Love
those small town squares.....I'm all booked up for another three weeks
later in the year in the north ... :)

I noticed all these last posts were posted on the 9th .....I only just got
notification of them today ...any one else have such a delay ?

Sylla

grimley
19-06-2012, 10:15
thanks for that all ready booked this year were paying about the same for a 1 bed in pdlc so thats a good price can you get there with out a car. i will bear that in mind for next year wish i had come on here sooner

Sylla
19-06-2012, 10:36
thanks for that all ready booked this year were paying about the same for a 1 bed in pdlc so thats a good price can you get there with out a car. i will bear that in mind for next year wish i had come on here sooner

Hi Grimley ....

There is a very good bus service ....see link ...

http://www.titsa.com/index.php?accion=linea&IdLinea=343

Bus number 343 direct .....or 111 and change in Santa Cruz

Northern Monkey
19-06-2012, 11:46

Grimley, you do need a car but we offer pick ups. Send me your email address in a private message because I am in the process of setting up a website for the area i.e. accommodation/activities/town info- I can keep you up-to-date with everything Isla Baja- i.e. Los Silos, Buenavista del Norte, Garachico, El Tanque.

Would anyone else like to be sent info?

Sylla
19-06-2012, 12:26
Grimley, you do need a car but we offer pick ups. Send me your email address in a private message because I am in the process of setting up a website for the area i.e. accommodation/activities/town info- I can keep you up-to-date with everything Isla Baja- i.e. Los Silos, Buenavista del Norte, Garachico, El Tanque.

Would anyone else like to be sent info?

Hi NM .....yes please ...I sent you a PM ....

Sylla

melm
19-06-2012, 18:18
HI NM

do you have any accomodation in Puerto de la Cruz?

thanks

bardofely
24-06-2012, 01:07
Tracy, just wanted to say it was wonderful meeting you and chatting tonight! As you now know I love Garachico, San Marcos and Icod!

tracy hampshire
24-06-2012, 10:01
Tracy, just wanted to say it was wonderful meeting you and chatting tonight! As you now know I love Garachico, San Marcos and Icod! me too, really enjoyed our chat, hopefully see you again soon down in san marcos.

bardofely
24-06-2012, 10:55
Yes, that would be really good. I tend to go to Bar No Name when I'm there. Do you get in that bar?

tracy hampshire
24-06-2012, 11:31
Yes, that would be really good. I tend to go to Bar No Name when I'm there. Do you get in that bar? yes, thats where me & bachir normally go, nice little bar .

bardofely
24-06-2012, 12:20
I'll look out for you there! :)