PDA

View Full Version : Other Phone call about virus

mariben
14-05-2012, 14:17
I recieved this phone call about 30 minutes ago, this guy said he was calling to inform me that there was a problem with my computer, it was to do with windows 7 and they very getting messages saying there was a virus and my computer could crash, so they were phoning to advise me and to talk me through how to get rid of the problem on my computer.
He asked me if my computer was in front of me and to switch it on, I said it was not and I was not going to switch it on as I did not feel comfortable about the phone call so he told me to hold and another mail voice came on the line, the first thing he said was switch on your computer, I refused, told him that I would not do anything with my computer while he was on the phone, he then said goodbye. Has anyone else recieved a phone call like that today.

BobMac
14-05-2012, 14:19
I recieved this phone call about 30 minutes ago, this guy said he was calling to inform me that there was a problem with my computer, it was to do with windows 7 and they very getting messages saying there was a virus and my computer could crash, so they were phoning to advise me and to talk me through how to get rid of the problem on my computer.
He asked me if my computer was in front of me and to switch it on, I said it was not and I was not going to switch it on as I did not feel comfortable about the phone call so he told me to hold and another mail voice came on the line, the first thing he said was switch on your computer, I refused, told him that I would not do anything with my computer while he was on the phone, he then said goodbye. Has anyone else recieved a phone call like that today.

It's a scam and costs about £80 if you go for it - a friend of my daughtre's mum fell for it.

Muppet
14-05-2012, 15:05
Had loads of these over the past 6 months or so - if you check back you will probably see the call came from a number in Egypt (0020xxx) or 00501. Google the number - there are world wide reports

As above, it is a scam - they tell you they are from Windows, which of course doesnt actually exist since it is Microsoft. Some reports say the callers are very rude - they would be - they probably get 2% of the takings from the scam!!

chocaholic
14-05-2012, 15:05
we have had several its a scam

irishmusico
14-05-2012, 15:06
It is a scam.I have had them on to me twice now.They tell you to open some windows application that shows up errors and tell you your pc is riddled with this virus,they then direct you to some other web page where they can take over your PC remotely.Not very nice people.

lesbroz
14-05-2012, 15:11
It is a scam. 3 times they have tried this with me. When I asked them which of my computers it was on, they couldn't answer me. Then another man came on line and said it was both. When I said it to them, this is a scam, I have only got one computer, they put the phone down.

Muppet
14-05-2012, 15:17
I did wonder for a moment if it was a forum member I'd upset - (think big dishes pointing at the sky) - however.......

Megaloo
14-05-2012, 15:18
Yes I have had this, and someone else I know did have something come up on their computer with an order by Police to pay £100, they left the computer locked so they could not use it.so in other words virused. Apparently it looks very official . Some people pay up on their credit cards to get their computer sorted, fortuntely my friend knew somebody who could fix it for them.

tonypub
14-05-2012, 15:32
my mum got scammed with this last week:(

Suej
14-05-2012, 16:38
It is a scam. 3 times they have tried this with me. When I asked them which of my computers it was on, they couldn't answer me. Then another man came on line and said it was both. When I said it to them, this is a scam, I have only got one computer, they put the phone down.

Oooooh! I bet you got a nice feeling catching them out like that!!! :jumping:

Harmonicaman
14-05-2012, 16:45
Had loads of these over the past 6 months or so - if you check back you will probably see the call came from a number in Egypt (0020xxx) or 00501. Google the number - there are world wide reports

As above, it is a scam - they tell you they are from Windows, which of course doesnt actually exist since it is Microsoft. Some reports say the callers are very rude - they would be - they probably get 2% of the takings from the scam!!

Egyptians eh? Probably a pyramid scheme...caveat emptor

Balcony
14-05-2012, 17:58
This is so obviously a scam. Just have fun and keep them talking and ask all sorts of stupid questions, then put your phone down and leave them whilst you look something up for them.....

melm
14-05-2012, 18:42
I have had several of these phone calls over the past few months.

when i said my computer was fine he wished my computer every horrible virus under the sun.

needless to say i hung up

macdonald5
14-05-2012, 19:06
Oooooh! I bet you got a nice feeling catching them out like that!!! :jumping:

We have had these calls many times, I tell them we have no computers at home as we are poor and have to use computer at library !??

DJandDeid
14-05-2012, 19:16
There's another scam doing the rounds. (not computer related, so apologies if off thread). You get a missed call on your mobile, naturally you phone back and you are treated to the sound of a woman screaming sounding as if she is being raped, a male voice urging her to be quiet. This is in fact a recording to keep you on the line while your phone bill is being racked up by mega bucks as this is a premium rate number somewhere in Africa. This has happened in recent times in Ireland and strangely the phone companies were less than helpful.

karinagal
18-05-2012, 15:08
We received a call earlier today from the "Windows help desk" - hubby answered it and put on his best fake 'concerned' voice and told the person to wait while he transferred them to 'our IT department' (me)..... The line seemed to go dead for some reason.....!!! :p

The undisputed queen of de-nial

Malteser Monkey
18-05-2012, 15:13
We received a call earlier today from the "Windows help desk" - hubby answered it and put on his best fake 'concerned' voice and told the person to wait while he transferred them to 'our IT department' (me)..... The line seemed to go dead for some reason.....!!! :p

The undisputed queen of de-nial

Like your style - good one IT dept :laugh:

I'm the IT dept in our house - I'm in charge of the electric stove

(stove?? bleedin' ell where am I coming from):crylaughing: