PDA

View Full Version : How To Become A Singer In Tenerife?

sarahdjcleaner
17-05-2012, 13:30
Hi,

Just wanting any of your advice really!! After always having a passion for music,I am now at a point in my life where I would like to embark on some kind of singing career! I have had years of experience DJ ing,However it never really took off.My whole reason for doing that job was so i could work with music!..Because that was the main thing i wanted to do all my life.Yes,I would be an amateur singer.But i'm pretty sure i can sing well! ..and if I'm not that great after all,well i realize that in Tenerife you don't have to be Adele to get a job singing!! I don't know where to start looking for this opportunity so I thought here would be a great place to start! Does any body know of any agents or bands (preferably rock bands) that would require a female singer and don't mind if she's new to the gig??...Thanks very much for your help!

Andrzej
17-05-2012, 17:59
Oh dear! Can't help you with agents or rock bands and although I don't want to sound negative but you say "you don't have to be Adele to get a job singing"????????????
All the entertainers in Tenerife that I have heard..and other places abroard.... have been of exeptionally high standard and still haven't made it "big time"........... I suppose it's the case of being in the right place at the right time...........
Have you tried kareoke?
Good luck in your quest and I do wish you all the best in your singing career...but I'd rely on a day job too

Jelly Baby
17-05-2012, 18:05
i realize that in Tenerife you don't have to be Adele to get a job singing!!

They may not be but they will be part of the community you wish you join and that's a rather sweeping statement to make as a newbie trying to find work here.

AL JAY
17-05-2012, 18:10
Welcome to the forum, Im sorry to say that if you have never sang professionally you don't stand a chance,the standard in Tenerife is high,Over the years i have seen many come and go and only the good ones get regular work, One of the best female singers i have ever seen (Karen Newman R.I.P) was better than a host of famous recording artistes,So i would say the standard is pretty high! I wish you the very best of luck, Give it a go and i hope you prove me wrong!

P.S Its also a lot harder to get work now than in the boom years of the 80s/90s

Zara
17-05-2012, 19:52
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum.

If you have experience as a DJ you will know that you have to go looking for work it doesn't come to you. You need to market yourself in every way possible. I would suggest you have a promo/press pack including CD that you distribute to bars and hotels. You need to be on social networking sites plugging away. It really depends on how badly you want it as to what you are prepared to do.

If you have a link to any of your music that I can download then send it to me by PM and I will see if I canīt pass it on, but I canīt promise as has already been said there are loads of excellent people out there working hard to promote themselves and finding it hard.

warbey
17-05-2012, 20:08
Sarah, You omit to say where You have D.J'd, but You should already have a good idea what's wanted through Your existing work experience.

Whats wrong on a good night to sing along with one song as a D.J.?

If good enough, You will soon find out and hopefully progress from There.

If not, well only YOU will know.

Recently a Person asked a similar question on here with the idea of being a tribute Artiste.

Again, if Youre good enough..?

Good Luck

sarahdjcleaner
17-05-2012, 21:09
Sarah, You omit to say where You have D.J'd, but You should already have a good idea what's wanted through Your existing work experience.

Whats wrong on a good night to sing along with one song as a D.J.?

If good enough, You will soon find out and hopefully progress from There.

If not, well only YOU will know.

Recently a Person asked a similar question on here with the idea of being a tribute Artiste.

Again, if Youre good enough..?

Good Luck Yes that is a good point thankyou for your encouraging comments, will keep that in mind:wink:I

tonypub
17-05-2012, 21:12
we need more elvis acts here:crazy:

sarahdjcleaner
17-05-2012, 21:27
That's Great! Thank you so much for the advice.yes,I completely understand what you're saying about promotional work it's not easy and I haven't even got that far with it yet! So i have a lot of work to do! I haven't even recorded anything yet ! But I'm so glad that you were prepared to actually help me and give me some useful advice!and a scope for what needs to be done! I also completely understand how hard it is out there for anybody to make it. So hopefully one day when I'm ready i'll be able to send you some of my stuff, Thanks again Zara, I apreciate it!

Added after 7 minutes:

thanks Al Jay, you know I honestly thought it might be easier to get work singing but it seems just the same if not worse chance getting to dj and I am not even working as a DJ at the moment! It sure ain't easy! especially when your time is always limited! But Your Right! If It's worth doing it's worth doing and Rome was not built in a day! Thanks again for your help!:agree:

Added after 8 minutes:

They may not be but they will be part of the community you wish you join and that's a rather sweeping statement to make as a newbie trying to find work here.
No Sorry About That, you are right.That statement was just my personal opinion of a couple of acts that i have heard,I did not mean it in a nasty way and would probably not be so disrespectful as to say it to their faces,at least they got the guts to get up there in the first place.Yes a newbie on the forum but I've lived here for a couple of years now,still clawing my way up.

Andrzej
17-05-2012, 22:45
Sarah, Good Luck...as the song says "When You wish upon a star".............. Good Luck and "May Your dreams come true!"....just be different and original!

Added after 31 minutes:

What? with another wig? Sorry! Get used to it! ELVIS IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!

AL JAY
18-05-2012, 01:51
Andrzej, You do really need to differentiate when a post is said "tongue in cheek" tonypubs Elvis post was taking the Michael!

janes
18-05-2012, 08:47
Andrzej, You do really need to differentiate when a post is said "tongue in cheek" tonypubs Elvis post was taking the Michael!

What you have to understand is that not everyone is native English speaking.
Hard as it may be to believe, but the internet is filled with differing nationalities, languages and cultures.

English speakers come across as very arrogant in several cultures so there is always bound to be misunderstandings.

Andrzej, your English is excellent considering it's not your mother tongue, just the wry English sense of humour you have to get used to. :eyebrows:

As far as singing in Tenerife goes, I think Zara's suggestions are excellent and if the OP follows her advice, it will give her the leverage over others in a similar situation.

sarahdjcleaner
18-05-2012, 11:44
Sarah, Good Luck...as the song says "When You wish upon a star".............. Good Luck and "May Your dreams come true!"....just be different and original!

Added after 31 minutes:

What? with another wig? Sorry! Get used to it! ELVIS IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: aaww thanks luv! That's a nice thing to say and yep! always pays to be different and original!!

Medman
18-05-2012, 12:01
:laugh: aaww thanks luv! That's a nice thing to say and yep! always pays to be different and original!!

If you are different and original or differently original, does that not make you the same ? :crazy: :goodluck: