PDA

View Full Version : Internet I'm having problems with Europa TV

pjelec
17-05-2012, 22:07
I have been with Europa now for about 5 months. The free tv system has not worked properly since we had it installed. For the last 2 weeks our Roter keeps locking and I have reported it and a Telefonica engineer came out and told me it is my router. They have not even bothered to contact me even after 4 e mails i have sent. Final straw now.

Can anyone reccommend an Internet and phone call company. Luckily I still pay telefonica for the line rental and not Europa.

Suej
17-05-2012, 22:14
Thanks for posting pjelec as I recently had a call from Europa promoting their system! I will think twice now about going with it! can't be bothered with all the hassle you have had! Hope you get it sorted very soon!

timmylish
18-05-2012, 02:39
Anyone like to guess what I,d say to this?

waveydavey
18-05-2012, 06:49
I had this system last year and I had nothing but trouble with it,it's a long story so I will not bother you with it but I had to go to the Managing director to get it resolved. sophie.b@europa-network.com is who you need to talk to.Good luck with the router.

Vortex Wake
18-05-2012, 10:10
Do remember , that the best connection to your router is via ethernet CABLE (not wifi ). A neighbours router on the same channel or even a microwave oven can can cause a data slow down (buffering) due to radio frequency interference via wifi

Suej
18-05-2012, 10:52
Do remember , that the best connection to your router is via ethernet CABLE (not wifi ). A neighbours router on the same channel or even a microwave oven can can cause a data slow down (buffering) due to radio frequency interference via wifi

I mentioned this problem to Europa as my computer and router are upstairs and TV downstairs so running unsightly cables wouldn't be a viable option as there is nowhere the cables could be hidden! Europa say they supply (at a cost of 39€) an extender which is not unlike a Baby monitor.:dontknow:

Nigel
18-05-2012, 14:11
I've been with Europa for years and had their TV set top box since it was available. I've found it a great service and the few problems I've had have been dealt with very quickly. I like the fact their engineers are English as my Spanish is not good,

The last time I had a problem was after they had done a network upgrade and the TV stopped working on the STB although it still worked on the PC. I gave their engineer remote access to my router, he made a few changes and everything was fine.

I do use my own router although it is the same make they supply and I have it cabled into the STB. Wireless doesn't work well throught the thick rock of my Canarian walls.

timmylish
19-05-2012, 01:17
I mentioned this problem to Europa as my computer and router are upstairs and TV downstairs so running unsightly cables wouldn't be a viable option as there is nowhere the cables could be hidden! Europa say they supply (at a cost of 39€) an extender which is not unlike a Baby monitor.:dontknow:

Sue. It looks like its down to me to help you again!
What you need, and we have them in house and they work perfectly, is a pair of Netgear (or similar make) Powerline adapters. Got them on a recommendation from my old pals in the VPN when I first had problems with B/width thru' the old house and these things solved the problem immediately. More importantly they save the need for extending your cables all up and down the house, walls and floors etc. This is on the USA Amazon site but I,ll try to get a UK one after I,ve stopped watchin' my US TV channels this evening. You can but these now in Spain but rotten expensive here! Please do me a favour and read all the info on this site. You,ll learn all you need to know!
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline-200-Adapter-Kit/dp/B0036R9YA6

Added after 10 minutes:

What you need, and we have them in house and they work perfectly, is a pair of Netgear (or similar make) Powerline adapters. Got them on a recommendation from my old pals in the VPN when I first had problems with B/width thru' the old house and these things solved the problem immediately. More importantly they save the need for extending your cables all up and down the house, walls and floors etc. This is on the USA Amazon site but I,ll try to get a UK one after I,ve stopped watchin' my US TV channels this evening. You can but these now in Spain but rotten expensive here! Please do me a favour and read all the info on this site. You,ll learn all you need to know!

Now the UK Amazon service;-
now its best if you get the 200 megs. version to get the best out of the electrical system in your house. These are the ones we actually have at home and as I,ve said, they work perfectly. There may be an intrusion by an expert on such maters making alternative suggestions but I,ll just ask you to take my advice on this. Not expensive and "FREE DELIVERY" in the UK which means you can get them sent here at no cost.

Muppet
19-05-2012, 09:33
As VW says further up, it is unfair to critisize any of the IP tv systems for not working if you are trying to use them on wireless networks in the home. This comment also applies if you are using a VPN (as timmylish recommends) over your wireless home network.

The Europa system, the DT television system, Premier and even Telefonica's are very unlikely to work reliably unless they are hard-wired into your router. Wireless signals are subject to all sorts of problems, neighbours on the same channel, the fact that there is so much metal in the construction of newer properties and the thickness of the older stone walls. Microwave ovens very often cause problems as do other types of video extenders and so on which all use the same frequency. Even if you had the STB standing on top of your router the chances are you will still have problems because standard wi-fi networks run at much slower speeds than direct connections. They are fine for emails and browsing, but for downloading large files much less so (which is exactly what you are doing with a VPN or other IP type service).

All these things work on the same frequencies.

The "power-line" adaptors do work - they are still not as fast as a direct connection but are somewhere in-between. They use a similar method as baby-intercoms where they plug into sockets and use the house wiring to carry the data. There is a major problem with them though, which has been the subject of a campaign to have their use either restricted or banned altogether. They create significant levels of interferance to normal radio listening, which here is already bad enough because (primarily) of the amount of metal used in the construction of buildings. So if you (or your neighbours) listen to normal radio a fair bit, you may find that difficult and interfered with significantly if you use the power-line adapter systems and if you have a radio-ham living next door expect a visit!

I have some experience of the Europa system, and it does work quite well, the other similar systems are, as far as I am aware, also OK - but in all these cases you will note that the suppliers recommend you do not rely on your wi-fi connections (for the reasons above) and arrange to plug your STB directly to your router - they even provide the appropriate cable.

But before you rule out any of the currently available IP TV systems on offer (DT, Europa, TeleCONica etc.,) because they don't seem to work reliably, ask yourself (or check) whether you have installed the kit correctly.

karinagal
19-05-2012, 11:44
As VW says further up, it is unfair to critisize any of the IP tv systems for not working if you are trying to use them on wireless networks in the home. This comment also applies if you are using a VPN (as timmylish recommends) over your wireless home network.

It just goes to show that you learn something new every day! Thanks for this - I did not know that if using the VPN I should use the Ethernet cable from the router to the laptop. So, this will make the connection more stable?

Karina

The undisputed queen of de-nial

Suej
19-05-2012, 13:46

Added after 10 minutes:

Now the UK Amazon service;-
now its best if you get the 200 megs. version to get the best out of the electrical system in your house. These are the ones we actually have at home and as I,ve said, they work perfectly. There may be an intrusion by an expert on such maters making alternative suggestions but I,ll just ask you to take my advice on this. Not expensive and "FREE DELIVERY" in the UK which means you can get them sent here at no cost.

Hi Timmy!

I know it might seem like I am not listening but I haven't decided to change my system yet! I have Miller rental box and aerial and all work perfectly well (just the odd glitch now and again) but I like to listen and learn also ask questions on what other systems are available via the internet! So I have noted your post! I always do :)...Thanks! X

ali marshall
16-08-2012, 00:22
I am also having major problems with europa,i was with talk talk for 2 years unlimited calls to uk and very happy with there service but when europa phoned me the idea of having uk tv attracted me to change,what a big mistake.As i had 30 days free trial with the tv box i held off as i was going on holiday and just had the router delivered.I was told that i could receive 8mb,(thats what telefoncia told them)lol router plugged in and i was getting about 1 and a half,no good for the tv.Europa sent a technical man out for telefonica and he messed around and said for the zone i was in i would never get anything more than 3.So the tv was not a option.With the offer of only 120 minutes free to the uk i told them i was going back to talk talk.

After 2 weeks of talk talk trying to reconnect me to internet they said they no longer could supply internet service to the canary island,something to do with tax???So i phoned europa back and said i would go back just for internet and phone calls,as i would not have to wait for a router and thought i be back on line within no time.LOL if i only knew.After 3 weeks waiting they told me the delay was getting me back on the 19.95 a month package as i was not a new customer,i told them i was never on that package i was on the 3 months free,after getting sick of waiting and fobbed off i told them just put me on the normal package of 29.95.This was last tuesday,woke wednesday morning i have internet,Yes!!!!At 3pm it goes off,comes back on for 2 hours,and it been like this ever since,i had no net at all on saturday and sunday,was on monday morning but off monday night,back on tuesday off by 9pm and now its just come back on,they saying that there is no problem there.Ive phoned telefonica to come and check my line but sometimes the internet light goes off so i think the problem is there as it was only a month ago i had the man here checking everything for the internet speed.If anyone can give me advice why im losing connection please let me know.Please also before you go for the tv box check with telefonica about the speed you can get,i was told 8 and when the telefonica bloke came to look at the line said 3 was max for my zone and could not understand why i was told 8???I was without internet for total 0f 4 weeks messing about and i have had it for one week and only been on 25% of the time,i wish i never had changed in 1st place:(

Muppet
16-08-2012, 00:51
So what you are really saying is that the condition of your line and your distance from the nearest exchange means that the ADSL speed available on your line is not good enough to receive IPTV, and that Telefonica appear to be refusing to resell their service via Talk-Talk - hardly Europa or Talk-Talk's faults, but entirely that of Telefonica who are essentially the providers of all ADSL on the island.

The fires last weekend caused a lot of people to lose internet for a good while - maybe your loss of service is/was related?

ali marshall
16-08-2012, 08:47
I am losing connection everyday,some times its on all day and then goes off of a night,im sure if i was losing connection because of the fire it would not be on for half a day and then on the next then off the next.Its on this morning but i bet anything when i get home later tonight it will be off and this is how its been since last wednesday.Was off saturday night all day sunday,was off yesterday,i sure it would not be like this due to fire,if i lost connection it would stay off.

Why would telefonica say i could get 8mb then if they did not want me to be with a other company,i not been with telefonica for about 3 years for internet,so its not like there losing a exsiting customer.I am not blaming talk talk or europa,all im saying is i want people to be aware that they may be told they can get a certain speed but the information is not 100% correct,as i found out.I think its unfair people changing companys like me and ending up having no net with all the messing about,if i knew my max was 3mb i would not of changed and would of been happy still with talk talk.

Muppet
16-08-2012, 10:02
The service you get from any of the TV by internet providers will only be as good as the ADSL line you have which is pretty much 100% in the hands of telefonica and no matter what speeds they may promise you, or another provider, if they cannot come up with the goods it is an issue. Free call deals are a very different thing to ADSL speeds. I don't suppose you know what speed your line actually achieves when it's working??

Kirsty did post a movistar/telefonica check a while back - can't find it for the life of me at the moment, but basically, you put your phone number in on their website and it will show you what the maximum speed available on your line is. This is maximum of course, most do not get that much. The Europa system needs a good 3 megs to work properly - I have 6 and it is absolutely fine. Your line going on and off is a telefonica issue and IF Europa are managing your line they should be able to get it looked at. If however, as is often the case, you pay telefonica directly for your line, then you need to have a moan at them !!

timmylish
16-08-2012, 10:17
Just a general observation.
Recently, although having had up to 10 mgps with Telefonica and no difficulties, I have noticed a decided drop in speed on Saturday/Sunday evenings. Obviouslt this is the heavest time of the week for traffic so consumption against demand will rule but it didn,t happen in the past! I can only presume/assume that maintenance work is now being carried out by Telefonica at these times which, if correct will be particularly stupid.
Right, you can all go back to what you were doing!

junglejim
16-08-2012, 14:52
Speed Test
http://www.speedtest.net/

5Mbps in San Eugenio , 500kbs upload

ali marshall
20-08-2012, 09:15
I have phoned telefonica and they said there is nothing wrong with my line,sorry i did not reply but been with out net again for 4 days.Apparently europa is getting on to the internet provider,who they will not name,the problem may be to do with ping???.They could see that my router was not connecting to the internet.Its on this morning but i do not know if its been fixed or it is going to go back off again.

Muppet
20-08-2012, 10:53
I have phoned telefonica and they said there is nothing wrong with my line,sorry i did not reply but been with out net again for 4 days.Apparently europa is getting on to the internet provider,who they will not name,the problem may be to do with ping???.They could see that my router was not connecting to the internet.Its on this morning but i do not know if its been fixed or it is going to go back off again.

Which all brings us full-circle back to the root of the problem - the quality of the ADSL/Internet provision you have, and again an issue which, given ADSL provision is via teleKONica, is as much out of the hands of 3rd party providers like Europa and DT as it is out of yours.

Probably though, more chance of getting it fixed with Europa than with TeleKONica - keep us updated.

I would say however, aside from the issues earlier in the year which were well publicised, my Europa TV has worked and continues to work well.

Muppet
27-08-2012, 09:49
I described this issue to Europa as my pc and wireless router are upper level and TV downstairs so operating undesirable cords wouldn't be an choice as there is nowhere the cords could be hidden! Europa say they provide an stretcher which is not as opposed to a Child observe.

Which takes us right back to the first page of thread, and the previous advice that using the TV systems, or watching anything else over your wireless home network is not the way to do things, certainly not in Tenerife with the construction methods and other gadgets lurking.

What I don't quite understand though, is a TV set requires an aerial feed to it, which involves a cable running to to it from somewhere??

timmylish
28-08-2012, 03:15
Which takes us right back to the first page of thread, and the previous advice that using the TV systems, or watching anything else over your wireless home network is not the way to do things, certainly not in Tenerife with the construction methods and other gadgets lurking.

What I don't quite understand though, is a TV set requires an aerial feed to it, which involves a cable running to to it from somewhere??

But you know that I have to disagree with your comment that "or watching anything else over your wireless home network is not the way to do things". I have for years used this method of getting my choice of TV, mainly English speaking UK/US stations, without any difficulties, problems or failures!
VPNUK is the way to go!

Vortex Wake
28-08-2012, 09:13
If two people are having a conversation , and a third person comes along at talks at the same time - the chances are, that the first conversation may falter or stop altogether.

You may be happily using you wifi laptop downstairs, but when you move the laptop upstairs, it could become susceptible to a neighbours wifi router (if on the same channel) or interference - your own wifi router connection could slow up or stop . If you are streaming video content , then this slowing up can cause poor video quality .

A direct wired connection to the wifi router would overcome the problem above.

timmylish
28-08-2012, 12:19
If two people are having a conversation , and a third person comes along at talks at the same time - the chances are, that the first conversation may falter or stop altogether.

You may be happily using you wifi laptop downstairs, but when you move the laptop upstairs, it could become susceptible to a neighbours wifi router (if on the same channel) or interference - your own wifi router connection could slow up or stop . If you are streaming video content , then this slowing up can cause poor video quality .

A direct wired connection to the wifi router would overcome the problem above.

What about using home-plugs to get round the problem of laying new cables from one floor to another?
Max Value 200Mbps Home Plug
do a search on Amazon. I don,t wish to show personal details!

willowlily
05-03-2013, 13:45
we have no uk tv in los cristianos since yesterday it worked on sunday which was the worst weatherwise anybody else had problems we are on europa

sunspot
05-03-2013, 14:00
No uk tv yesterday but alls back on today, im with premier

Dodger
05-03-2013, 14:29
we have no uk tv in los cristianos since yesterday it worked on sunday which was the worst weatherwise anybody else had problems we are on europa
No break in transmission with DT media

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Malteser Monkey
05-03-2013, 14:31

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just repeats yeh ?:cheeky:

TF1
05-03-2013, 14:33
Don't watch the UK stuff but a few of the Spanish TDT channels have been on and off over the last few days. Antena 3 is still off.

Suej
05-03-2013, 14:47
No problems with DT for me all stayed on until the leccy went off of course but came on when the power returned!

Malteser Monkey
05-03-2013, 14:54
No problems with DT for me all stayed on until the leccy went off of course but came on when the power returned!

Everyday's a learning day:cheeky:

afternoon Mrs !

Suej
05-03-2013, 15:32
Everyday's a learning day:cheeky:

afternoon Mrs !

Afternoon MM! Fings 'ere don't always come back on when the leccy returns after a power cut! :bootyshake:

tfs_longlets
05-03-2013, 16:40
Not had any problem at all with Europa. The power was on and off frequently over the weekend and the Set Top Box rebooted every time OK.

Assuming you watch it through a STB, try disconnecting it from the supply for 10 seconds, reconnect and watch the screen, it should say 'do not switch off while the box is in setup' or something like that. Then it loads and should be OK. If not, then the STB may have had a surge and will need investigating.

Is it OK when you watch on your computer?

imablue
01-12-2013, 10:38
we have had no Europa network since yesterday ."No Match of the Day!!":redcard:...again today screen showing "do not switch off whilst box in set up".....any help out there ?

imablue
03-12-2013, 20:45
We have done the above ..emailed Europa and they said try the same .. no joy whatsoever and of course no telly .....:cry:

Ricman
04-12-2013, 09:57
How odd. No problems with Europa at GDS.

Only slight problem with the rain as one room is flooded, but TV fine.

skin12089
04-12-2013, 15:32
no probs in callao