PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy taxi-boat tickets from Masca beach to Los Gigantes online?

dolmard
19-05-2012, 06:47
I'm planning to do the Masca trek in july. I can't find the taxi-boat in the Tenerife Sunshine website...

poker
19-05-2012, 07:50
PM emski of the forum she works for tenerife sunshine .

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

bonitatime
19-05-2012, 12:18
Flipperuno.com do this sort of pick ups

jatas
19-05-2012, 18:54
hello,

why not walk back up to Masca ? it's a fantastic walk and challenge, completely different than walking down to the beach.

Jack

Harmonicaman
19-05-2012, 19:00
hello,

why not walk back up to Masca ? it's a fantastic walk and challenge, completely different than walking down to the beach.

Jack

Isn't that uphill though?...

jatas
19-05-2012, 19:11
it's tougher than a ,,normal" walk, so don't do it when you are not used to walk several hours a day. The hardest part is the final ascent to Masca ( after the bridge), but then you can see already the bar with the cool beers.

But in the gorge the light is completely different than before noon, and you have all the times. So....

With an early start ( around 9 am) you have all the time and it is a fantastic day, we did do it twice.

Jack

slodgedad
19-05-2012, 19:52
Make sure you research thoroughly before you do it now we are in summer time.

Only last weekend an experienced walking couple got into difficulties with the heat and one had to be rescued.

jatas
19-05-2012, 21:11
yes, if not used to walk several hours a day , better don't do it. we did do it once in winter, once in summer. it's tough but we did do tougher walks on tenerife.

Jack

Muppet
20-05-2012, 10:01
Remember as well, the only way out, once in, is by rescue helicopter, and they are about to charge a lot of money if they have to come find you - quite rightly too!

Only our President is allowed free rides in the Emergency Chopper

dokgolf
20-05-2012, 11:18
You mean Slodgedad??

Muppet
20-05-2012, 11:26
You mean Slodgedad??

Lol - nah the other one !!

dokgolf
20-05-2012, 11:46
I'm planning to do the Masca trek in july. I can't find the taxi-boat in the Tenerife Sunshine website...

You can book online here

http://www.mascalosgigantes.com/page0/page0.html

or ring Los Gigantes Marina at 922861918

The return trips leave Masca at 13:30, 15:30 & 16:30

dokgolf
21-05-2012, 21:21
You're welcome!

ribuck
12-06-2012, 17:12
You don't need to book in advance. You can buy tickets "on the day" from several of the little shops in Masca. This way you can keep your options open, depending on the weather.

They don't limit the number of tickets sold. If there are too many people for the boat that you booked for, the boat keeps coming back until everyone with a ticket has been taken back to Los Gigantes.

I've done the Masca Gorge three times. I get my ticket on the day from Bar Soto in Santiago del Teide, where I have some time to spare because that's where I need to change buses.

I like to have some time to spare before the ferry is due, because it's really nice swimming in the clear water off the stone jetty at Playa de Masca. The jetty is a good height for jumping off too. If it's a really hot day though, it's better to wait in the last shade before the beach.

PUDCLARKE
09-07-2012, 16:33
I would like to do this walk and then catch the boat to Los Gigantes. If i wanted to park the car at Los Gigantes, is there a bus that goes to Masca ?
Thanks

ribuck
09-07-2012, 19:58
Pudclarke, there's no direct TITSA bus. Standard sized buses can't fit on the narrow winding Masca road.

Park in Los Gigantes and catch the 08:20 route 325 bus to Santiago del Teide (08:30 on weekends and holidays). From Santiago del Teide catch the 10:35 route 355 bus from Santiago del Teide to Masca. It's a compact 24-seater, and the best seat for this scenic route is the seat directly opposite the driver.

Doing it this way gives you a lot of time to kill in Santiago del Teide where you change buses. If you like, you could walk south about five blocks and follow the line of crosses up the hill. There's an interesting sight at the end.

If you don't want to wait around while changing buses, you could park your car in Santiago del Teide in time to catch the 10:35 route 355 bus to Masca. Parking is easier in Santiago del Teide too. After the boat drops you back in Los Gigantes, you can take the 17:05 or 19:00 route 325 back up the hill to Santiago del Teide. This gives you time for a waterfront meal in Los Gigantes. The bus stop in Los Gigantes is 10-15 minutes up the hill.

PUDCLARKE
12-07-2012, 15:03
Many thanks for this info - i have a another couple of questions below if you are able to help

Park in Los Gigantes and catch the 08:20 route 325 bus to Santiago del Teide (08:30 on weekends and holidays). From Santiago del Teide catch the 10:35 route 355 bus from Santiago del Teide to Masca. It's a compact 24-seater, and the best seat for this scenic route is the seat directly opposite the driver. - this sounds ideal. Do you know how often the buses run from Los Gigantes to Santiago del Teide or is it a case of having to catch the 08:20 service ?. Also once in Santiago del Teide, will it be clear where the bus stop is for the journey to Masca ? [B]

Doing it this way gives you a lot of time to kill in Santiago del Teide where you change buses. If you like, you could walk south about five blocks and follow the line of crosses up the hill. There's an interesting sight at the end.[B]Looking at Google maps, do you have to cross over a pretty yellow and white arch footbridge ?

ribuck
12-07-2012, 16:06
Hi pudclarke,

Do you know how often the buses run from Los Gigantes to Santiago del Teide or is it a case of having to catch the 08:20 service?
Buses leave Los Gigantes at 08:20, 10:45, 12:30, 17:05, 19:00 and 21:15 on weekdays, and at 08:30, 12:30, 17:05 and 20:40 on weekends. The 08:20/08:30 service is the only one that's practical, except that a really fit hiker who has done the gorge before would be able to take the 10:45 bus which connects with the 12:55 out of Santiago Del Teide. But don't do it that way on your first time. You really don't want to be stuck out overnight after missing the last boat at 4:30.

There are a few other ways to do this trip by public transport. You could do the walk uphill, by taking the early boat from Los Gigantes to Masca Beach. It leaves Los Gigantes at 09:30, which allows plenty of time to get to the top for a bus out of Masca at 16:15 or 18:15.

Alternatively, you can start and finish somewhere other than Los Gigantes. The route 460 bus leaves Costa Adeje at 09:35 and passes through Guia de Isora at 10:05 to arrive in Santiago del Teide at 10:35. It's a tight connection, but whenever I've caught the 355 it has waited for the arrival of the 460 from Adeje/Guia.

If you're coming from the North, you could catch the 355 Masca bus from Buenavista bus station at 09:30.

Bus timetables are here: 325 (http://www.titsa.com/index.php?accion=linea&IdLinea=325) 355 (http://www.titsa.com/index.php?accion=linea&IdLinea=355) 460 (http://www.titsa.com/index.php?accion=linea&IdLinea=460)

once in Santiago del Teide, will it be clear where the bus stop is for the journey to Masca?
The bus stop for the 355 is directly opposite Bar Soto, near the main intersection. There isn't the usual blue "TITSA" bus stop sign, but the word "BUS" is painted on the road. Bar Soto sells tickets for the Masca boat, and has toilets and decent coffee.

...do you have to cross over a pretty yellow and white arch footbridge?
Yes, that's the one.

PUDCLARKE
12-07-2012, 16:18
Brilliant - many thanks for your help. We are staying in LC so i will drive to Los Gigantes to catch the 08:20 bus to Santiago Del Teide. Will then explore the town for a while (and buy a boat ticket) and then catch the 10.35 bus to Masca.
Then a nice walk down to the beach to catch either the 3.30 or 4.30 boat back to Los Gigantes.

Last couple of questions i promise - do i need a particular bus stop in Los Gigantes and is there a public car park i can use or is it a case of finding somewhere on a side street (with parking meters ?)

ribuck
12-07-2012, 17:19
Last couple of questions i promise - do i need a particular bus stop in Los Gigantes and is there a public car park i can use or is it a case of finding somewhere on a side street (with parking meters ?)

The main bus stop is the bus terminus on Calle del Hibisco. On Google Maps look for the bus stop symbol closest to the port (it's quite a way up the hill).

I didn't have a car in Los Gigantes, so others will know more about parking than I do.

Masca Gorge is a fantastic, dramatic trip. Don't forget your camera, and have a great trip!

imablue
12-07-2012, 17:20
As with any walk here in Tenerife..make sure you have plenty of water... more so in the summer months....
good luck with the hike ...

PUDCLARKE
12-07-2012, 23:31
Don't worry i will - 2 weeks today we will be in Tenerife :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Eugen
14-07-2012, 10:13
Any parks in Santiago, Ted and Masca bus, or stop the Giants and take the bus to Santiago's General Ted and then on the bus next to Masca. After walking under the masks and take a boat taxi and pick up where his car was parked.

KirstyJay
14-07-2012, 13:12
Any parks in Santiago, Ted and Masca bus, or stop the Giants and take the bus to Santiago's General Ted and then on the bus next to Masca. After walking under the masks and take a boat taxi and pick up where his car was parked.Hi Eugen, have you used a translator for this, as it does not make sense? What did you want to say in Spanish? I will translate it for you. :) Hola Eugen, usó una traductor, porque su frase no tiene sentido? Escribelo en español y voy a traducirlo. :)

TheBloke
14-07-2012, 14:36
Why don't you drive to Masca walk down to the beach,have a swim then walk back up to Masca?

It's not as difficult as you may think.It usually takes about two and a half hours down and about the same back up the worst section being right at the end when tiredness sets in!You can see the bar above in Masca so thats my motivation by then.

I have done this walk four times and I'm by no means fit....more fat.

KirstyJay
14-07-2012, 15:27
I have done this walk four times and I'm by no means fit....more fat.I can vouch for that ;)

PUDCLARKE
14-07-2012, 16:33
Why don't you drive to Masca walk down to the beach,have a swim then walk back up to Masca?

My 11 year old daughter is doing the walk with me and i think the uphill leg might be a bit much for her (or me :) ).
Plus she likes the idea of the bus and boat trips.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

ribuck
14-07-2012, 16:42
Don't be put off by the sign at the beginning which may make it seem like the walk is closed. It's only the sandy part of the beach that's officially closed.

PUDCLARKE
16-07-2012, 15:06
In your experience, should i try and book the boat tickets in advance ? Some people say you should, others say it is not necessary. If i do, can they be bought in LC anywhere as thats where we are staying ?

ribuck
16-07-2012, 16:20
They don't limit how many tickets are sold. The boat just keeps coming back until all the ticket-holders are transferred back to Los Gigantes. So I don't see how there can be any advantage to booking in advance.

The unlimited tickets means that if you book the 3:30 boat, if it's a busy day you might not get on that boat and might get picked up at say 4:00, but you won't be abandoned.

Their main boat, the Nashira Uno, is slow but quite nice with a glass-bottomed section and also rooftop seating. If the Nashira Uno can't fit everyone, they also use a smaller but very fast boat that can get to Los Gigantes in about 10 minutes.

Just occasionally, the sea is very rough and the boat can't run. They will generally know this by the afternoon of the day before. But again, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to booking in advance.

Hmm. I see now that their web reservations page offers a 20% discount for reserving by web, but it's not clear to me whether this is for the masca boat or for their round-trip excursion. Anyway, if you want to ask them, here's their contact/booking form:
http://www.mascalosgigantes.com/page6/page6.php

By the way, do let us know afterwards how your trip went!

PUDCLARKE
16-07-2012, 16:35
Many thanks for the reply - i was a little concerned that we might be left stranded if we didn't buy in advance and the boat was full !
Will certainly let you know how we get on - i am taking my laptop on holiday so will post upon my return when i return to the bar for a well earned beer :)

ribuck
29-08-2012, 12:15
Will certainly let you know how we get on
So how did your adventure go, Pudclarke?

PUDCLARKE
29-08-2012, 14:09
So how did your adventure go, Pudclarke?

Hi - sorry i haven't reported back - only back at work this week and still trying to clear the backlog of work......

My daughter and I had a great walk down to the beach (and back up again !!) from Masca - we actually drove to Masca via Santiago Del Tiede. We decided against the boat trip as earlier in the holiday we went on a Dolphin trip and she got a little sick so was not keen on going on the waves again..

The walk was lovely and not quite as hard as i imagined it was going to be - although the legs were beginning to go by the end !

We also walked up the hill with the crosses in Santiago Del Tiede - such a lovely spot up by the large cross at the top. There was a cave like hole that was fenced and locked but you could just about peer into it - can anyone advise is this cave has any significance please ?

Many thanks

ribuck
01-09-2012, 22:37
Hi - sorry i haven't reported back - only back at work this week and still trying to clear the backlog of work......

My daughter and I had a great walk down to the beach (and back up again !!) ...

We also walked up the hill with the crosses in Santiago Del Tiede - such a lovely spot up by the large cross at the top. There was a cave like hole that was fenced and locked but you could just about peer into it - can anyone advise is this cave has any significance please ?

Hi Pudclarke,

I'm glad you both enjoyed the trip. Well done for doing Masca Gorge in the uphill direction! I've yet to do it uphill myself, but will do it that way next time I'm in Tenerife.

Regarding the "cave like hole" on the hill with crosses, do you mean the green door in the little chapel at the top of the crosses as shown in the following photo?

My guess is that the chapel was built because of the "miracle" of the water that seeps out from between two layers of rock in this otherwise-dry landscape, and that behind the green door there is some plumbing that collects some of the water and pipes it down to the village to be used. But that's just my assumption. It must be an important place to the locals, because someone climbs up the hill to light the candles, presumably every day.

Peanuts
05-03-2013, 14:49
hello,

Jack

Showing off?

ribuck
05-03-2013, 15:30
Showing off?
No, just sharing his enthusiasm. Thanks jatas!

I'm going to try the uphill walk later this month.