PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Monarch - What are the benefits of web check-in?

Goforgold
28-05-2012, 17:57
Hi,

We're flying with Monarch in a couple of weeks from Birmingham to Tenerife and I've been sent a text asking us to check-in on line, which we've just done and printed off the Boarding Passes.

Can anyone tell me what the benefits are of doing this as we are still being asked to arrive 1.50 hours before the flight time - surely we will still have to stand in a queue and be asked if we have packed our own cases etc? Does this checking in on line actually save any time?

Simon-M
28-05-2012, 18:04
If you are hand luggage only then you don't need to check-in from a queue. Just go right to security. If you are taking hold luggage you will need to drop that off at the drop off point. The queue there should be smaller.

Goforgold
28-05-2012, 18:07
If you are hand luggage only then you don't need to check-in from a queue. Just go right to security. If you are taking hold luggage you will need to drop that off at the drop off point. The queue there should be smaller.

Thanks Simon-M. I could understand the hang luggage only being much quicker, but of course we have cases. Do you know what they dispense with if you have cases? Would that be asking if you've packed the cases and printing things off?

How are you getting on over there, I haven't been on TF for quite a while so haven't kept up with things.

Suej
28-05-2012, 18:18
You will have to queue as normal to put your cases through GFG! they still have to be weighed and tagged to go into the Hold the only thing that saves them time as I see it is you have already printed your own boarding passes!:)

Goforgold
28-05-2012, 18:19
You will have to queue as normal to put your cases through GFG! they still have to be weighed and tagged to go into the Hold the only thing that saves them time is you have already printed your own boarding passes!:)

That's what we thought!!! :( Only taken half an hour to go through the procedure and then print the the paperwork off and our ink and paper too!!!

kingbaker
29-05-2012, 07:31
That's what we thought!!! :( Only taken half an hour to go through the procedure and then print the the paperwork off and our ink and paper too!!!

OH Dear!! We'll have to have a collection for you!!!! You poor thing!!!;)

:hello: Should've booked with Ryanair and gone hand-luggage only:bootyshake:

Goforgold
29-05-2012, 08:10
OH Dear!! We'll have to have a collection for you!!!! You poor thing!!!;)

:hello: Should've booked with Ryanair and gone hand-luggage only:bootyshake:

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:: hello::hello::hello:

How you doing KB??!!! Have you had anymore Krispy Kremes?? ;)

Can't just go hand luggage KB, wouldn't get all the necessaries in there ie Laptop, Kindle, MP3, Phone chargers, eyedrops, nosedrops, migraine tablets, cold sore lotion, pain killers, atheletes foot lotion - just for starters!!!! Nope!! I need that villa - did you get that pub over there yet?? :hello::hello::hello::hello:

samnickgodber
29-05-2012, 08:27
They normally have a fast bag drop, if they donīt then they might have a desk for people who are not able bodied, they have used this desk with us when we have already checked in ect, we always try to check-in on-line, Flying with Thomson tomorrow night from TFS and they wonīt let me check-in on-line or do the api info as we have booked it a little late,,, gggrrrr x

Goforgold
29-05-2012, 08:39
They normally have a fast bag drop, if they donīt then they might have a desk for people who are not able bodied, they have used this desk with us when we have already checked in ect, we always try to check-in on-line, Flying with Thomson tomorrow night from TFS and they wonīt let me check-in on-line or do the api info as we have booked it a little late,,, gggrrrr x

I'll take my zimmer frame with me then !! ;)

kingbaker
29-05-2012, 08:47

Same advise to you. Should've booked with Ryanair, and hand luggage only!!!!!!!:hello:

Megaloo
29-05-2012, 09:05

I am sure you already know but thought I would mention Thomson only allow 5 kilos hand luggage, only a friend got caught going hand luggage only with them with 10 kilos used to ryanair and got caught to pay excess.

VideoMem
29-05-2012, 09:11
???We're flying with Monarch in a couple of weeks from Birmingham to Tenerife and I've been sent a text asking us to check-in on line, which we've just done and printed off the Boarding Passes.???

Have they also given you a refund on your total fare ? If I chose to check in on line with Jet2 I would save Ģ20 per person ?:tiphat:

Leam_Lin
29-05-2012, 09:25
With Monarch can you only check in on line if you have reserved seats.

samnickgodber
29-05-2012, 09:38
Again canīt do just hand luggage, and would rather swim and walk the fly with them,,, sorry ;-)

dixie4
29-05-2012, 10:14
Can not speak for Birmingham check in but in Manchester the Monarch check in has for me always been efficient with very little queue. So I have never had the urge to check in online.

Maybe one day if I get into a long queue situation or have hand luggage only I will reappraise this for next time.

Some airlines do give a cost saving for checking in online but in my case I have always found that Monarch has come up with a total flight price more reasonable than the competition with or without online check in.

obs
29-05-2012, 10:55
If you check in online, when you get to the airport go to the Vantage check -in desk, it acts as a fast luggage drop for you. We have done this several times now, never had a queue more than 3 deep. :)

jack oakley
29-05-2012, 14:03
If you check in online, when you get to the airport go to the Vantage check -in desk, it acts as a fast luggage drop for you. We have done this several times now, never had a queue more than 3 deep. :)

This may be applicable in Tenerife but it certainly is not in the U.K. I am a frequent vantage traveller and whilst flying from the U.K. i have regularly seen passengers clutching bits of creased up paper boarding passes with hold baggage trying to use the vantage desk and have been sent to the back of the BAG DROP DESK queue where they should have gone in the first place. In the U.K. there are well marked desks with three different catagaries: standard check-in,"express" bag drop check-in (for on-line checker inners), and vantage for silver and gold frequent flyer's. On-line check-in is only advantagious if you are travelling with just hand baggage (ONE BAG INCLUDING LADIES HANDBAGS) that is no more than 10kilos and fits into the required size parameters, the problem now is because of the greed of some airlines including Monarch who insidiously charge for a suitcase, you will find great difficulty in trying to find room in the overhead storage bins because quite simply aircraft were designed with a HOLD to store cases big or small, the overhead storage was designed for briefcases, small bags and coats and not small suitcases so there quite simply is not enough space for 175 small cases. Due to most passengers now shuffling along with 'cabincrew' type wheely cases avoiding extortive suitcase charges spend ages trying to find overhead bin room, the embarkation time is now taking 20minutes longer resulting in delays due to missed air traffic allocation slots. Quite simply the "brain-boxes" who dreamed up this insidious policy are trying to save money by making check-in staff redundant yet causing the airline extra charges in delays and cabin crew overtime charges, also security staff who are already overworked are acting as check-in bods anyway. The vantage desk in tenerife is being used as a bag-drop for on-line checker-inners but genuine vantage travellers are greatly inconvenienced by this silly policy. All in all there is no advantage in overworking your printer cartridge and the more people do it the worse the whole system will be in the long term..arrgggg:mad: Flying used to be an enjoyable part of the holiday now it is a nessessary tedious and stressfull experience, but that said enjoy your holiday on this beautiful island. Jack.O

Goforgold
29-05-2012, 18:35
???We're flying with Monarch in a couple of weeks from Birmingham to Tenerife and I've been sent a text asking us to check-in on line, which we've just done and printed off the Boarding Passes.???

Have they also given you a refund on your total fare ? If I chose to check in on line with Jet2 I would save Ģ20 per person ?:tiphat:

No we didn't get any refund VideoMem!! :(

Hi LL - no you can check in without having reserved any seats - however there is a section where you can reserve seats if you wish to when you are doing the check in on line.

Added after 3 minutes:

This may be applicable in Tenerife but it certainly is not in the U.K. I am a frequent vantage traveller and whilst flying from the U.K. i have regularly seen passengers clutching bits of creased up paper boarding passes with hold baggage trying to use the vantage desk and have been sent to the back of the BAG DROP DESK queue where they should have gone in the first place. In the U.K. there are well marked desks with three different catagaries: standard check-in,"express" bag drop check-in (for on-line checker inners), and vantage for silver and gold frequent flyer's. On-line check-in is only advantagious if you are travelling with just hand baggage (ONE BAG INCLUDING LADIES HANDBAGS) that is no more than 10kilos and fits into the required size parameters, the problem now is because of the greed of some airlines including Monarch who insidiously charge for a suitcase, you will find great difficulty in trying to find room in the overhead storage bins because quite simply aircraft were designed with a HOLD to store cases big or small, the overhead storage was designed for briefcases, small bags and coats and not small suitcases so there quite simply is not enough space for 175 small cases. Due to most passengers now shuffling along with 'cabincrew' type wheely cases avoiding extortive suitcase charges spend ages trying to find overhead bin room, the embarkation time is now taking 20minutes longer resulting in delays due to missed air traffic allocation slots. Quite simply the "brain-boxes" who dreamed up this insidious policy are trying to save money by making check-in staff redundant yet causing the airline extra charges in delays and cabin crew overtime charges, also security staff who are already overworked are acting as check-in bods anyway. The vantage desk in tenerife is being used as a bag-drop for on-line checker-inners but genuine vantage travellers are greatly inconvenienced by this silly policy. All in all there is no advantage in overworking your printer cartridge and the more people do it the worse the whole system will be in the long term..arrgggg:mad: Flying used to be an enjoyable part of the holiday now it is a nessessary tedious and stressfull experience, but that said enjoy your holiday on this beautiful island. Jack.O

Thank you for a very informative post.

marbro8
29-05-2012, 19:03
we always fly with monach but last time we checked in on line the queue was actually longer than the one where you just booked in on the day lol, but having said that when we got to the airport a couple of weeks ago they were booking in 5 flights in at the same time and we were through in about 20 mins, but because we wanted a better flight time back from tenerife( because monach only do 7.30pm) we booked the return with thomas cook(what a mistake) not only did they cancel our flight and put us on the next day's flight, therefore throwing our hols a day out, but it took us 1.5 hrs to book in at tfs because they only had 2 staff on untill the last 8 couples when they put another on? and then told us that we couldn't have the seats that we had booked because thomas cook had not sent them the info? never again no wander they are in trouble:doh:

Goforgold
29-05-2012, 19:13
we always fly with monach but last time we checked in on line the queue was actually longer than the one where you just booked in on the day lol, but having said that when we got to the airport a couple of weeks ago they were booking in 5 flights in at the same time and we were through in about 20 mins, but because we wanted a better flight time back from tenerife( because monach only do 7.30pm) we booked the return with thomas cook(what a mistake) not only did they cancel our flight and put us on the next day's flight, therefore throwing our hols a day out, but it took us 1.5 hrs to book in at tfs because they only had 2 staff on untill the last 8 couples when they put another on? and then told us that we couldn't have the seats that we had booked because thomas cook had not sent them the info? never again no wander they are in trouble:doh:

That was a nightmare Marbro!! We never travel back in the evenings, but as we had such a fantastic 2 weeks last October and only able to go for a week this time (can't leave doggie in kennels for more than a week!!), we decided that the 7.30pm flight would give us the whole day there, thus squeezing every drop out of our holiday!! :) I wonder if we'll feel the same when we get into the house about 1.00 in the morning, if we're lucky with the flight!! :)

marbro8
29-05-2012, 19:21
That was a nightmare Marbro!! We never travel back in the evenings, but as we had such a fantastic 2 weeks last October and only able to go for a week this time (can't leave doggie in kennels for more than a week!!), we decided that the 7.30pm flight would give us the whole day there, thus squeezing every drop out of our holiday!! :) I wonder if we'll feel the same when we get into the house about 1.00 in the morning, if we're lucky with the flight!! :)the only probs we have had with monach are they have been delayed a couple of times, but my way of thinking is when it comes to going home we want to do it as quick as possible lol, my mate who has got his own place there was telling us the other day that he used to fly back with monach and get back at 1.00am and be at work for 4.00am as a milkman:wow:

Goforgold
29-05-2012, 19:29
the only probs we have had with monach are they have been delayed a couple of times, but my way of thinking is when it comes to going home we want to do it as quick as possible lol, my mate who has got his own place there was telling us the other day that he used to fly back with monach and get back at 1.00am and be at work for 4.00am as a milkman:wow:

We have always been the same, just get back home as quickly as possible - I'm just hoping I'll enjoy myself as much as last year and not want to come home - that's the theory anyway!!!

I could have done what that milkman did a few year's ago - but not these days!! When I worked in Tenerife I'd go out on the town drinking Barcardi and Cokes, get back at 6.00 in the morning, have a shower, just in time to start work at 9.00am, still hungover and do a day's work - wouldn't even want to go out in the evenings now let alone stay up all night!!! :) - how things change!! :(

Red Devil
06-06-2012, 16:22
Hi GFG, cant answer for Birmingham but Manchester to Tenerife there is a fast bag drop check in that you can go straight to, that desk includes hold baggage already checked in online.
At Tenerife you use the Advantage check in desk for online check in, again regardless of whether it is hand or hold luggage.
We have just got home, enjoy yourselves - it is hot at the moment!:)

lesbroz
06-06-2012, 16:43

Yes, I believe so. Monarch do have a dedicated bag drop only desk, so it is much quicker than the usual long queues to check in.

Goforgold
06-06-2012, 16:49
Hi GFG, cant answer for Birmingham but Manchester to Tenerife there is a fast bag drop check in that you can go straight to, that desk includes hold baggage already checked in online.
At Tenerife you use the Advantage check in desk for online check in, again regardless of whether it is hand or hold luggage.
We have just got home, enjoy yourselves - it is hot at the moment!:)

Hi Red Devil :) Thanks for the information :)

Added after 2 minutes:

Yes, I believe so. Monarch do have a dedicated bag drop only desk, so it is much quicker than the usual long queues to check in.

When we checked in on line, we had already booked our seats, but there was a facility to book seats if not already booked. I'm impressed with all the texts I'm getting from Monarch, very efficient so far. We flew when them a few years ago too and had no problems, but touch wood we've been lucky with all the Carriers :) I hope I haven't spoken too soon ;)

Red Devil
06-06-2012, 18:24
Thats just reminded me, when we arrived at Manchester airport the queues at the Monarch check ins were massive but we could fortunately go straight to the bag drop desk - however a woman who hadnt checked in online just went to one of those bag drop weighing machine thingy's that they have, put her cases on it, got something printed out, then went straight to the bag drop desk also.
She said sshhh, not many people know about doing it this way