PDA

View Full Version : Information needed about bringing a UK car to Tenerife

woodchip68
02-08-2011, 21:20
I am moving to Tenerife and driving my Ferrari 612 Scaglietti over in 2 weeks. It is RHD and is very rare. This type of car is worth doing. However, I have held an empardromento for over a year and will have to pay 13% tax on the invoice value 90k as I have owned it for less than 1 year. The car is 4 years old and if I had owned it for 1 year and 1 day, I would have to pay the valuation rate. As they dont have a valuation for this car, they rate it at the new price of 240k, the age is not taken into consideration.

As from April 2011

The first thing you need to do is contact a shipping agent in the UK to complete an HMRC form C88 (bifa dot com) they will ask you for your start and stop addresses and a copy of your log book. They then convert this to a T2LF European declaration certificate. This is for goods in transit, showing the final taxable destination.

2, Contact a Gestor like "Abona Gestión" in Granadilla (they speak English) and email your invoice and logbook for a valuation. If you have not owned a +1yr empardromento you do not pay import tax on a car you have owned for over 6 months.

3, Let the gestor do the rest. their fees are not high but the amount you pay can depend on the amount of fees they have to pay to sPAIN

4, With all the paper work you can carry including your insurance green card, logbook, T2LF, driving licence, passport, original invoice, MOT, tax disk displayed, empardromento, residencia and ferry tickets. Drive over.

5, On arrival your docs are checked by customs. If you have to pay import tax, you need to leave your car at the dock and go to the bank and get a proof of payment slip. Collect your car.

6, You now have 6 months to register the car. The gestor will take care of this, including the technical details for the ITV (MOT) Max 600 euros

It sounds worse than it actually is. If I sold my car in the UK and bought the same car in sPAIN, It would cost me around 150K. but I could sell it in Tf as a RHD in 2 yrs for 100k

You need to do the math

I am also bring my wifes sPAINish registered 06 Megan glass top convertable. Bought in the UK for 6k + 450 to the Gestor for registration. This car is 15k in tenergrief

smigster
29-05-2012, 13:07
iam thinking about taking my uk car to tenerefe,any information regarding the laws,eg tax ,insurance,how long it can stay.

algowall
05-12-2014, 11:09
Hi everyone,I`m new to site and would like to ask if anyone has any info hints or tips on driving my car over to tenerife i.e. I`ve heard when you change your car to Spanish plates , depending on how long you`ve owned the vehicle you are liable to a tax of 13% of the vehicles value . Is this true? Would value any info. Thanks

lynno52
05-12-2014, 11:17
Hi everyone,I`m new to site and would like to ask if anyone has any info hints or tips on driving my car over to tenerife i.e. I`ve heard when you change your car to Spanish plates , depending on how long you`ve owned the vehicle you are liable to a tax of 13% of the vehicles value . Is this true? Would value any info. Thanks

Welcome from me. :welcome: If you check the Cars and Transport Threads you may find the answers to some of your questions until someone comes along who may be able to help?

ArtyWendy
05-12-2014, 11:31
Welcome to Tenerife Algowall, We were lucky enough to change our car with a person just 10 days before we left the UK. All done via this forum too, we swapped our UK car for his (recently returned to the UK from living in Palm Mar). You might think about doing likewise by putting a request on here for anyone returning to the UK for whatever reason. Whatever, it is a lovely uncrowded drive down through Spain so remember to enjoy it!

admin
05-12-2014, 12:49

Your post has been merged with an existing thread on the same subject. Please have a look through earlier posts.

algowall
06-12-2014, 00:25
Thanks for advice really looking forward to the adventure.

martincrabb99
06-12-2014, 09:17
Welcome to Tenerife Algowall, We were lucky enough to change our car with a person just 10 days before we left the UK. All done via this forum too, we swapped our UK car for his (recently returned to the UK from living in Palm Mar). You might think about doing likewise by putting a request on here for anyone returning to the UK for whatever reason. Whatever, it is a lovely uncrowded drive down through Spain so remember to enjoy it!

Good idea and much more economical!