PDA

View Full Version : Other Some sad times we live in right now.

YOUNG GOLFER
29-05-2012, 17:20
Just had a young man around 30yrs old come in my office asking if there was any work i could offer him as he has lost his job his house everything and they have just cut of his electric so no light for a week or so where hi is staying.

He did say he is getting 80€ a month from Arona to buy food but for 2 adults and a child it does not seem a lot he said they are eating pasta and nothing much else as he can't afford fruit or veg or meat on that amount.

Poor bloke was crying his eyes out. He did say he does not want to steal or rob people all he wants to do is work, but i could not offer him any work so i just gave him a little something and he went on his way.

Now i like to think i am a good judge of character and he never came across as a drinker or druggie just trying it on to get a little cash....... i think he was just a dad trying to look after his family.

Never once did he ask for any money and he was so polite all the time he was in my office.

But whats me sad is that £64 a month is meant to feed a family.

Could someone tell me if this is true.....and the electric can they really cut it off.

Maybe i am just a softie and fell for his tears...... but looking at him i am not so sure.

Or maybe you might have seen him around.

TOTO 99
29-05-2012, 17:41
Either way, you did the right thing YG...:tiphat:

Ed3229
29-05-2012, 17:41
And here we get this in the news today

A mother-of-10 who claims £50,000 in benefits has provoked outrage by declaring: "I'm better off volunteering than working."

Stephanie Fennessy-Sharp, 29, works a 40-hour week in a charity shop for free because she says she is "not a stereotypical scrounger" and she wants to set a good example to her children.

But she can only afford to do voluntary work because she claims so much in benefits. She admitted that she is healthy enough to do a paid job – but the way Government benefits are structured means it isn't worth her while.

"The benefits are being offered to me, so I'd be silly to turn them down," Stephanie told Closer magazine.

"I know taxpayers are being punished – I hate taking their money. But we're being allowed to get away with it.

"We're taking advantage of the system, but that's the system's fault – we'd be silly not to with so many mouths to feed.

"It's ridiculous, but I'm better off volunteering than earning – we're well off and I'm not going to give that up until I have to."

Stephanie lives with her partner Ian Sharp and six of their 10 children in a five-bedroom detached house in Kent.

Neither she nor 56-year-old Ian work – he suffers from debilitating headaches - but they claim the equivalent of a £72k salary before tax.

In an interview with Closer, Stephanie defended herself by saying she volunteers because she wants to "give something back to society".

And she explained that it made more sense for her to work for free than to get a job that would pay a fraction of her handouts and lose her benefits.

But her comments have made some taxpayers see red.

One wrote on an online forum: "There are enough truly poor and needy families in this country that this woman's story is obscene - she is stealing from those that pay their taxes and from those who really need help.

"Cut her benefits and make this family go out to work.

"This government needs to get a grip and force people like these people to work - most people in this country don't earn £70K per year so why should she get it for nothing?"

But others leapt to Stephanie's defence.

"If you break it down £50k ain't a lot to support a family with 10 kids in it," one wrote.

"I don't really see any other option but to supporting them with benefits. The children exist. It would be more expensive, not to mention traumatic, to split the family up and put the kids in care, so realistically keeping them at home with a decent-ish benefit cheque is best."

Stephanie, who used to work in a shop before leaving work after having her second child, has three children of her own, Jack, 10, Charlie, eight, and Steven, six, with her ex-husband, and is stepmother to Ian's seven children - Bobbie, 19, Nicole, 16, Alexandra, 14, Sian, 13, Callum, 10, Cameron, seven, and Summer, three, from his relationship with his ex-wife.

She says that she dreamed of being a teacher before having children put paid to her goal.

Before she split with the father of her three children, she lived in a three-bedroom house, paid for with housing benefit, and claimed income support, child benefit, child tax credits and council tax benefit.

When she then met Ian, who left his job as a factory worker 20 years ago after he began suffering migraines, she took on the role as his permanent carer - enabling her to claim carer's allowance in addition to Ian's £60 a week incapacity benefit.

It also allows Stephanie to be exempt from the Jobseekers Allowance rules, meaning she does not lose her benefits when she fails to look for employment.

According to the magazine, Stephanie should be caring for Ian 35 hours a week, which she admitted she doesn't need to, given that Ian suffers from headaches only once every few weeks.

Between them, the family claim £4,524 child benefit, £14,456 tax credits, £1,200 council tax benefit and £8,320 incapacity benefit. They also receive £20,400 housing benefit a year, which works out at £1,700 a month.

In total, they get £48,900 a year.

They were given a four-bedroom council house in April 2010, which they swapped in February 2011 for a privately rented five-bedroom house in Erith after they complained of damp.

Their new house, in a leafy suburban area, has a large garden, driveway and a garage for their Toyota Previa people carrier.

Stephanie said: "Obviously, I could work and I'd like to. I feel guilty about how much we claim – we don't even need a five-bedroom house as the kids could share. But it's a nice area with good schools."

She said she works in the charity shop from 9am to 5.30pm four days a week because she doesn't want to fall into the trap of "no job, no confidence".

"I want to meet new people – and teach my kids a work ethic," she said.

"My young children think I get paid for working at the charity shop."

Stephanie insists the job gives her a sense of pride - but that if she were to work in a shop for a wage, the money she would be paid (she estimates £13,000) wouldn't cover her rent.

"I don't have a choice,' she told Closer.

"I feel like this situation has been forced upon us by the Government."

YOUNG GOLFER
29-05-2012, 17:55
Ed3229

The people in your post sound better off than most people with two jobs.........no wonder he gets headaches with all them kids.

I am sure people in the UK have it much better playing the system than they do here.

warbey
29-05-2012, 19:53
I read this with sadness Y>G>, and thought of the many who arrive each Year to live a Dream.

It doesnt matter too much what Nationality He was, but if He checks out, He DESERVES a Job

from someone to reward His Honesty.

Did He leave any forwarding information, if something should turn up.?

Thans for helping Him out. You wont be a loser, that's for sure.

YOUNG GOLFER
29-05-2012, 20:04
Well if he does come in again then i will ask him if i can go and visit where he is living with his family.
If all is good then i will do what i can to help him out i have a few contacts who might be able to help.....or at the very least ask on here for help.

But i will make sure they have a good meal

Today is my oldest daughters birthday and she and her 8 friends are dancing after just finishing some birthday cake all very happy having fun and my kids are not and never will be spoit just normal kids (but i am still a little sad thinking of this poor dad) the thought of a young child with a diet of just pasta really shocks me.

no.job.2.small
29-05-2012, 20:21
Please post on here YG if he checks out to be genuine as will help if possible in whatever way I can !

Fred Perry
29-05-2012, 20:57
Well done YG, not many like you about. That is what happens here with benefits, once your dole runs out(it is only for a certain amount of time depending on how many days you have worked on contract) you get nothing. Considering 36% are unemployed here in Tenerife (and many of them have finished their dole period) and live off no benefits at all I am suprised he even gets 80€ from the Arona Council. It must be an emergency fund as he has a child. Perhaps an organisation could be set up to help ex-pats during this economic crisis, at least so people have somewhere to go for food.

True Story; Some years ago when I lived in Sueño Azul, Callao Salvaje, a British family of five there hit on hard times. The small ex-pat community rallied round and took them food parcels most nights. They all went back to the UK where some months later they appeared on the front page of The Sun having won the lottery, 1.5 million€!! I kid you not. We never saw them again though.

marbro8
29-05-2012, 21:00
Well if he does come in again then i will ask him if i can go and visit where he is living with his family.
If all is good then i will do what i can to help him out i have a few contacts who might be able to help.....or at the very least ask on here for help.

But i will make sure they have a good meal

Today is my oldest daughters birthday and she and her 8 friends are dancing after just finishing some birthday cake all very happy having fun and my kids are not and never will be spoit just normal kids (but i am still a little sad thinking of this poor dad) the thought of a young child with a diet of just pasta really shocks me.dont beat yourself up to much mate there are kids out there dieing every day but we can't help all of them, just do what you can and feel proud of what you have done;)

delderek
29-05-2012, 21:07
I fear it may be true YG, we have a friend who has been on the Island for 20 years, always worked, cleaning, bar work etc. Lost her job over a year ago, and is getting no financial help at all. now behind with rent elec, etc had 4 euros left to feed herself this week.
I wonder how long the social fabric can hold up in Tenerife, under these conditions.

glostergirl
29-05-2012, 22:26
if any expat is in a position where they have no food or need help with paying rent please go to your local town hall. there are red cross food parcels available for families with children,there is also help with buying school books and clothes for children,also help for paying rent and electric bills.lot of forms to fill out but worth it if u get help!!

marbro8
29-05-2012, 22:49
sometimes there is no justice???

Well done YG, not many like you about. That is what happens here with benefits, once your dole runs out(it is only for a certain amount of time depending on how many days you have worked on contract) you get nothing. Considering 36% are unemployed here in Tenerife (and many of them have finished their dole period) and live off no benefits at all I am suprised he even gets 80€ from the Arona Council. It must be an emergency fund as he has a child. Perhaps an organisation could be set up to help ex-pats during this economic crisis, at least so people have somewhere to go for food.

True Story; Some years ago when I lived in Sueño Azul, Callao Salvaje, a British family of five there hit on hard times. The small ex-pat community rallied round and took them food parcels most nights. They all went back to the UK where some months later they appeared on the front page of The Sun having won the lottery, 1.5 million€!! I kid you not. We never saw them again though.sometimes there is no justice

seanocelt
30-05-2012, 00:10
It sucks, i saw an ex boss of mine raking in bins today in Los Cris, and she lives in San Eugenio (or did). Tough times here, and no real sign of it getting easier. Well done Stuart, usual big heart.

Megaloo
30-05-2012, 09:23
I know of several Canarian young men and women here in the North some qualified in different professions some have had no work for 2 or more years, they do not receive any handouts how they live I do not know, families are just helping each other, we try to do what we can also.

Suej
30-05-2012, 12:13
sometimes there is no justice???

sometimes there is no justice

It's only going to get worse for these poor people! from what I have been told Canarians only get 6 months Paro...that's it! they're on their own after that!

Nice gesture YG!

Jackie
30-05-2012, 16:50
Ed3229

The people in your post sound better off than most people with two jobs.........no wonder he gets headaches with all them kids.

I am sure people in the UK have it much better playing the system than they do here.

Might have done the Tax Payer a favour if she'd had a few headaches ;)

caroll72
30-05-2012, 19:34
What amazes me is how easy it is for people to fall into this trap of no work, no money.
Surely, if you lose your job, you know that your dole/paro will only last for so long, and after that, you're on your own.

That's where forward planning comes in. You know the situation is bad, then the obvious answer is to get out, and not wait till you're down to your last 4 euros.

The uk may be pretty bad right now, but THERE ARE JOBS for those who are prepared to work.
And at least there's the safety net of the benefit system till you're back on your feet.

Well done to you YG for helping this guy out, but scavenging around in bins, practically begging for work/money, would not be my idea of living the dream in the sun.

YOUNG GOLFER
30-05-2012, 19:52
I agree with most of your post Caroll72 but if British living here then there are ways out like moving back to the UK were it seems easier to get help.....but being born here in Tenerife really does not give you any other options than help from family, or the hope some sort of work turns up.

Very sad times people live in right now.

But i guess that's life...... s... at times.

Megaloo
30-05-2012, 20:04
I agree with most of your post Caroll72 but if British living here then there are ways out like moving back to the UK were it seems easier to get help.....but being born here in Tenerife really does not give you any other options than help from family, or the hope some sort of work turns up.

But i guess that's life...... s... at times.[/QUOT

Totaly agree ex-pats may have the option of going back, but the people I was talking about were Canarians born here, even a couple of them have tried other countries and made the effort to learn English to help them on their way, but still no job.

Added after 2 minutes:

[QUOTE=Megaloo;182355][QUOTE=YOUNG GOLFER;182353]I agree with most of your post Caroll72 but if British living here then there are ways out like moving back to the UK were it seems easier to get help.....but being born here in Tenerife really does not give you any other options than help from family, or the hope some sort of work turns up.

But i guess that's life...... s... at times.[/QUOT

Totaly agree ex-pats may have the option of going back, but the people I was talking about were Canarians born here, even a couple of them have tried other countries and made the effort to learn English to help them on their way, but still no job.

Sorry Youngolfer I was really answering Carols post

glostergirl
30-05-2012, 21:02
I probably should have put in my original post its not only expats that get the help i have mentioned!! its a canarian thing open to all nationalities!! it is not going to be offered to you, if you want help wotever nationality you are you have to ask for it!! there is also a payment monthly from the town hall for those people who have no benefits left, also all town halls have a work scheme around the island for all people whose benefits have run out!! i personally have picked tomatoes and cleaned and cleared the verges and barrancos of arico to feed my 3 kids!! if anyone wants any further info re living in poverty in tenerife pls pm i could write a book!! i am willing to help anyone if they need info. I am now living back in uk i signed on 2 days after i landed here waited 5 days for job seekers allowance to be paid, 4 weeks later i was working and now i have just moved into council property and receiving all benefits i am entitled to!! i have my two youngest kids in uk my oldest plus his canarian girlfriend and my grand daughter leave tenerife to come to live and work in uk in august. my advice to anyone on the poverty line in tenerife with kids is get yourself home!! the dream fast becomes a nightmare!!

caroll72
30-05-2012, 21:14
Couldn't have put it better glostergirl!
You done well to get benefits within a few days, we waited 4 weeks. Probably depends on what part of the country you live in.
We got a job pretty quick, but it was 'as and when' so still had to sign on when no work.

Just before we left tenerife, i remember talking to a PR down fanabe. She said she was desperate to move back to uk, but didn't know how.

seanocelt
31-05-2012, 01:40
Glostergirl is one of those people you meet and think "survivor". She would scrape the pavements if it meant feeding her family. But on the other hand, as YG said, the locals , indigeonous workers, may not have the know how, sense or education to get help, and that IS sad. Well done Glostergirl, you seem happier than ever, no more tears, and less betrayal? Sean.

glostergirl
31-05-2012, 07:59
Thank you sean,you know me so well!! you were a brilliant boss to work for and thanks to your glowing reference for me i got my 1st job here at the harvester chain of restaurants for that i will always be greatful to u and imelda. its been tough waiting for all the various benefits that are available here now but payments now coming through soon have my dog and cat home plus my son and his family. having a lovely time decorating my new home. yes i know have a more positive attitude and am certainly a lot happier. julie x

geedee
31-05-2012, 19:34
What amazes me is how easy it is for people to fall into this trap of no work, no money.
Surely, if you lose your job, you know that your dole/paro will only last for so long, and after that, you're on your own.

That's where forward planning comes in. You know the situation is bad, then the obvious answer is to get out, and not wait till you're down to your last 4 euros.

The uk may be pretty bad right now, but THERE ARE JOBS for those who are prepared to work.
And at least there's the safety net of the benefit system till you're back on your feet.

Well done to you YG for helping this guy out, but scavenging around in bins, practically begging for work/money, would not be my idea of living the dream in the sun.

Carol, there are over 2.5 million unemployed in the UK, so just where are these jobs that you talk about. People who are prepared to work are applying for numerous jobs and don't even get an acknowledgement, never mind an interview. There can be hundreds of people applying for one position. It doesn't matter if a job is high or low paid, there are so many applications that the employer has his/her pick. I wouldn't want anyone thinking of returning to the UK to read your post and think it will be easy to get a job, because it won't.

YG, I hope the guy in your original post gets sorted soon.

caroll72
31-05-2012, 20:14
Carol, there are over 2.5 million unemployed in the UK, so just where are these jobs that you talk about. People who are prepared to work are applying for numerous jobs and don't even get an acknowledgement, never mind an interview. There can be hundreds of people applying for one position. It doesn't matter if a job is high or low paid, there are so many applications that the employer has his/her pick. I wouldn't want anyone thinking of returning to the UK to read your post and think it will be easy to get a job, because it won't.

YG, I hope the guy in your original post gets sorted soon.

I can only speak from my own experience. Wev'e had no problems finding work, maybe just being in the right place at the right time, who knows?? And actually turning up for a interview helps.
At one interview we attended, the guy actually thanked us for coming. He said he'd had 200 applicants, and only 50 bothered to turn up!

Added after 15 minutes:

And as a afterthought, me & hubby have spent the last year since we left Tenerife doing field-based merchandising. This entails travelling up to 150 miles to work 12 hour night shifts doing re-fits & stock replenishment in large superstores, and all for less than £7.00 a hour, 25p a mile & not paid for travelling time. Not a ideal job, but a job all the same.

Determined as i am to find something better, we kept applying for other jobs & it's finally paid off as we start a new job next week.
It all depends on the individual, what you're prepared to do to earn a living. In my mind, any job is better than no job.

geedee
31-05-2012, 21:43
I can only speak from my own experience. Wev'e had no problems finding work, maybe just being in the right place at the right time, who knows?? And actually turning up for a interview helps.
At one interview we attended, the guy actually thanked us for coming. He said he'd had 200 applicants, and only 50 bothered to turn up!

Added after 15 minutes:

And as a afterthought, me & hubby have spent the last year since we left Tenerife doing field-based merchandising. This entails travelling up to 150 miles to work 12 hour night shifts doing re-fits & stock replenishment in large superstores, and all for less than £7.00 a hour, 25p a mile & not paid for travelling time. Not a ideal job, but a job all the same.

Determined as i am to find something better, we kept applying for other jobs & it's finally paid off as we start a new job next week.
It all depends on the individual, what you're prepared to do to earn a living. In my mind, any job is better than no job.

As you say it all depends on the individual, and there are many thousands who are just as determined as you are. The difference is though they will not get the opportunity. They will apply for just as many jobs,low paid jobs,and not even be afforded the courtesy of a reply. At least you were invited for interview and given the chance to talk yourself up. Many,many people would be delighted just to get that chance. And being in the right place at the right time may also be a possibility.

Of course you could have been back from Tenerife for a year and still not be in work. You could have been just as determined, applied for just as many jobs, but had no success. It could have happened, and probably will for others. Sometimes good fortune plays a part.

And congratulations on the new job, I hope all goes well.:)

Mawkin
31-05-2012, 21:59
I just waiting for someone who did return to the UK to post on here they regret returning and wished they had stayed in Tenerife with the present financial situation everywhere. I would think I will have a long wait still you never know.

caroll72
31-05-2012, 22:02
Well we don't regret moving back.
Just wish we could get to Tenerife more often, as tourists of course!! :party4:

lapalma
31-05-2012, 22:18
Well we don't regret moving back.
Just wish we could get to Tenerife more often, as tourists of course!! :party4:

caroll72,I wish you all the best and Iam quite sure you will return to Tenerife in the not too distant future as tourists.
All the best.

Sundowner
01-06-2012, 12:29
[QUOTE=geedee;182777]Carol, there are over 2.5 million unemployed in the UK, so just where are these jobs that you talk about. People who are prepared to work are applying for numerous jobs and don't even get an acknowledgement, never mind an interview. There can be hundreds of people applying for one position. It doesn't matter if a job is high or low paid, there are so many applications that the employer has his/her pick. I wouldn't want anyone thinking of returning to the UK to read your post and think it will be easy to get a job, because it won't.

There are jobs in the U.K. But it is patchy.

If anyone fancies a job in retail try here http://careers.bicestervillage.com/en_GB/careers?outlet=&page=1#village-brands-tab

They are always looking for staff...........

caroll72
01-06-2012, 17:02
Sundowner, There is definetley more work in the Midlands & the South than up north.
Just depends what part of the uk you live in.

It was nothing unusual for us, in our last job, to travel 100 miles down south, work a 12 hour nightshift, then another 2 hour drive back home.
There were even people travelling all the way from County Durham!
The job is not ideal, that's why there's such a high turnover of staff, but it's a job all the same.

Hard times we live in, yes, but to get a job, sometimes you have to take a step down to what you were previously used to.
Gone are the days of enchanced pay rates for nights, sundays & bank holls, maybe some folk wouldnt work under those conditions, and thats why there's a lack of 'suitable' jobs.

Sundowner
01-06-2012, 22:37
Sundowner, There is definetley more work in the Midlands & the South than up north.
Just depends what part of the uk you live in.

It was nothing unusual for us, in our last job, to travel 100 miles down south, work a 12 hour nightshift, then another 2 hour drive back home.
There were even people travelling all the way from County Durham!
The job is not ideal, that's why there's such a high turnover of staff, but it's a job all the same.

Hard times we live in, yes, but to get a job, sometimes you have to take a step down to what you were previously used to.
Gone are the days of enchanced pay rates for nights, sundays & bank holls, maybe some folk wouldnt work under those conditions, and thats why there's a lack of 'suitable' jobs.

Yes there are more jobs in the South!! That is probably why I am here in the South instead of watching Everton play at home every other week!!

I worked that one out a long time ago!!

But good on you for getting stuck in and I wish you all the best for the future.......I am glad you now have a better job.