PDA

View Full Version : My nice car to sell, swap or transfer

Dave Social
30-05-2012, 16:01
Not sure what to do with my British reg’d car…
I drove over here about 8 weeks ago. I have a nice 2004 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 Hatchback (new shape) on British plates. Great car and although its right hand drive I find it very easy driving it on the island instead of the left. Have some months left to continue driving it legally over here but not sure which is going to be the cheapest way to go about things.
Do I export it and transfer on to Spanish /Canarian plates? Or do I sell it? If I sell it, I need to be selling it to someone going back to the UK. Or maybe could do a straight ‘SWAP’.
I called in at a local garage near Costa del Silencio they quoted me 1,200 euro’s to transfer the car over. That included import tax, itv and the rest. But told the head lights will cost an arm and a leg and that’s extra! However I have just been told that it’s possible that with my car being a modern car with HID’s the lights could be manually adjusted. I’ll need to check this with Vauxhall.
The tax duty quote was taken off the computer data base at the garage, but my car model was not listed. Vauxhall Opel Vectra GTi was listed but not my model. So they said they had to go on the nearest model to mine. GTi I believe is a more expensive car than mine. So I end up paying more than I should. Is this correct, anyone know?
If you can recommend someone that can do me a good deal on getting it transferred, Or if you or someone fancies doing a left hand drive for right hand drive a car swap let me know ASAP.

Dave

timmylish
30-05-2012, 16:58
I know that this does not help you in the situation you find yourself in however, if there was ever a an example of why not to bring UK cars here, this is it!
Sorry.
Hopefully a few of the car guys will be on later, after work? (To-Day? Maybe, maybe not!)

casabonny
30-05-2012, 18:21
you are not likely to get a very good price for your car here simply because it's rh drive and you market is limited . Having said that there are always people going back but sadly they are the least likely of people to have the money to buy.
as for matriculating into spanish plates I assume you went to either Mend it or Agencia autos for your costing.I can pm you a phone umber of a person who does this (he actually does the work for Mend it ) for obtaining a price but you must remember that even if it's on Spanish plates its not worth much as its r h drive.
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but I would hate to see anyone spending money unnecessarily .
If its an option why not drive it back to Uk yourself and get family to sell for you and then buy here ?
Good luck whatever you decide

Dave Social
31-05-2012, 13:39
you are not likely to get a very good price for your car here simply because it's rh drive and you market is limited . Having said that there are always people going back but sadly they are the least likely of people to have the money to buy.
as for matriculating into spanish plates I assume you went to either Mend it or Agencia autos for your costing.I can pm you a phone umber of a person who does this (he actually does the work for Mend it ) for obtaining a price but you must remember that even if it's on Spanish plates its not worth much as its r h drive.
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but I would hate to see anyone spending money unnecessarily .
If its an option why not drive it back to Uk yourself and get family to sell for you and then buy here ?
Good luck whatever you decide

Yes please PM the contact details! Think cheaper to matriculate the car then run it in to the ground. It's a good car, good engine and great size for the work I do.