PDA

View Full Version : Employment Do people really want to work?

sunseeker
30-05-2012, 17:13
im begining to woder if there really is a crisis at the moment because people dont seem to want to work. my friend has been looking for a builder for ages and not one of the ones that have said theyd give a quote have bothered to turn up and do it. a friend with a bar has gone thru loads of staff that cant seem to cope with a few hours of hard work. everyone keeps saying how little work is available but the jobs that are there are abused. im begining to wonder if peo[ple realy know how serious the crisis is and how bad it will get or if there just not bothered about working hard to stay in tenerife. the benefit system wont be there when they fail. what do other people think? am i being to hard?

craftycarder
30-05-2012, 17:53
No I don't think you are being hard. There are always those that want to work and those that do not.

My son is moving over here early next year and he is a builder (he also speaks spanish, having lived and worked in mainland Spain). He's hoping to get work and will do anything for a decent wage. Shame he is'nt here now to help your friend !!!

seanocelt
30-05-2012, 18:13
Last year i interviewed several applicants for a part time, well paid bar job. Almost all told me what they were NOT willing to do, not what they WERE willing to do. So, yes, getting good people with the right attitude is hard.

marbro8
30-05-2012, 18:17
some tradesmen wont get out of bed for a job less than a few grand, you try to get someone to rewasher a tap or renew a lock and you will never see them, they would rather renew the whole kitchen or all the doors and windows:wow:

henry
30-05-2012, 19:17
i really want to work full time or part time. looking all over the place. but just nothing is out there. i been looking for a year and a month now.

marbro8
30-05-2012, 20:14
i really want to work full time or part time. looking all over the place. but just nothing is out there. i been looking for a year and a month now.bloody hell henry that is a long time:wow:, what sort of work are you looking for brain surgeon:D

warbey
30-05-2012, 20:15
I think You are being realistic Sunseeker.

Many Years ago People who didnt work went to the Workhouse for a sharp short Lesson

Too many do gooders using other People's money now., although Tenerife seems more extreme than here by far.

Ali.xx
30-05-2012, 22:18
Last year i interviewed several applicants for a part time, well paid bar job. Almost all told me what they were NOT willing to do, not what they WERE willing to do. So, yes, getting good people with the right attitude is hard.

Blimey if I was there i'd be after an interview! Not too keen on toilets after loads of lovely people have done things in them but anything else i'd give a go! Some people want it all for giving nothing!

amanda
30-05-2012, 22:40
yes they do want to work my husband is canarian speaks perfect english and has his city and guilds from the uk if you need any work carried out contact us why not try local builders you wont be dissapointed or ripped off

Sundowner
31-05-2012, 00:04
Do people want to work..........some do some don't........give them enough benefits and work becomes a no no......don't blame the people blame the system!!

dominatormadmax
31-05-2012, 00:14
Oh , well I have been trying to find a job in a bar for 5 weeks now and left my cv in so many bars but no reply yet and it doesn't seem that anyone needs extra staff before the summer . I have years of experience in catering done my best to find a job now to no avail...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

seanocelt
31-05-2012, 01:17
But its the worst 5 weeks of a very crap year, if you have savings hang in you may get lucky soon. I have been served by some total wasters lately, how they got hired i will never know, but good people will surely find work soon. DISCLAIMER: Euro crisis and Spanish economy implosion aside!

dominatormadmax
31-05-2012, 01:38
Thats true and I will never loose a hope , I have some savings ,the thing is that I don't want to spend it so if I am lucky I will get employed over this weekend :)

Megaloo
31-05-2012, 09:08
Do people want to work..........some do some don't........give them enough benefits and work becomes a no no......don't blame the people blame the system!!

I think that applies more in England with so many benefits but not in Tenerife the handouts are not so forthcoming here for them

Vortex Wake
31-05-2012, 09:43
I think You are being realistic Sunseeker.

Many Years ago People who didnt work went to the Workhouse for a sharp short Lesson

Too many do gooders using other People's money now., although Tenerife seems more extreme than here by far.

Not forgetting, that the Workhouse, housed all types of people - mentally handicapped, physically handicapped and those who simply could not work.

A women with children, who's husband was killed or injured at work and thus no longer had an income to support the family could well have end up in the Workhouse - the kids in one door, and the mother in another. Possibly never to be reunited again. There was certainly nothing 'short' about it - you tended to die in the Workhouse.

We shouldn't confuse lazy, materialistic (cell phone / Satellite flat screen TV / Internet / Games console ) people of today who'd rather survive on handouts than work , to many of those really 'poor' people (through no fault of their own) from the Workhouses of a century ago.

pollye
31-05-2012, 10:58
I don't want to work! I'm happy sat on my ass! Tried twice last year to give up my job, redundancy and MARS (Mutually agreed resignation scheme), failed both times.
I guess what I'm saying is I work to live and as soon as I can afford it, my ass is in my recliner and it ain't moving!
What about Bob the Builder? He did some good work for me.

cainaries
31-05-2012, 13:12
Where we are there are a lot of German swallows. In April I heard several conversations about how to find a reliable gardener who would come for four hours a week EVERY week and not leave the garden untended for 5 months and then work flat out for a day or two in October trying to get the garden up to scratch before the swallows flew back. No-one had found anyone reliable of any nationality even though we all agreed it would be quite a nice little business for someone with basic gardening skills and a van to see them through the summer months.

sunseeker
02-06-2012, 12:59
yes they do want to work my husband is canarian speaks perfect english and has his city and guilds from the uk if you need any work carried out contact us why not try local builders you wont be dissapointed or ripped off

its the local buiders theyve tried. ;)

thanks for the replys. i thought i must be going mad. :)

but if u dont work there are no benefits here. its not like the uk here.

Added after 5 minutes:

Thats true and I will never loose a hope , I have some savings ,the thing is that I don't want to spend it so if I am lucky I will get employed over this weekend :)

we all have savings we dont want to use. if we used them they wont be there when there needed and usually there not that much! one or two months not working and most people would be wiped out. :(

Added after 2 minutes:

I don't want to work! I'm happy sat on my ass! Tried twice last year to give up my job, redundancy and MARS (Mutually agreed resignation scheme), failed both times.
I guess what I'm saying is I work to live and as soon as I can afford it, my ass is in my recliner and it ain't moving!
What about Bob the Builder? He did some good work for me.

at least ur honest. lol

warbey
02-06-2012, 20:27
Not forgetting, that the Workhouse, housed all types of people - mentally handicapped, physically handicapped and those who simply could not work.

A women with children, who's husband was killed or injured at work and thus no longer had an income to support the family could well have end up in the Workhouse - the kids in one door, and the mother in another. Possibly never to be reunited again. There was certainly nothing 'short' about it - you tended to die in the Workhouse.

We shouldn't confuse lazy, materialistic (cell phone / Satellite flat screen TV / Internet / Games console ) people of today who'd rather survive on handouts than work , to many of those really 'poor' people (through no fault of their own) from the Workhouses of a century ago.

Sorry I oversimplified I meant a modern method of action based on previous experience.

The Welfare State is a great idea, until it is abused, then We ALL PAY.

videotalker
04-06-2012, 10:11
I just came back from Tenerife last Tues and although I cannot comment on the job situation, i did notice that the looky looky men and even the chinese girl with the gadgets which light up all seemed a lot more desperate to sell to you and would not take no for an answer. Seems everyone is desperate for money.

willowlily
04-06-2012, 11:16
we were in goodfellas on the beach on friday and as one looky looky guy was leaving another one was entering i counted 50 in 2 hours, it was truely a nightmare and if i had been a first time tourist here in tenerife it would have been my last. the local governement ignores this problem at their peril allowing such a simple problem to destroy a beautiful resort and peoples holidays. i know some people say they dont mind but normally they live here and are more tolerant as this is not the only 2 weeks of the year where they spend a years hard earned cash in this paradise

DOREEN QUINN
04-06-2012, 14:47
Must agree Willowlily - I am sick and tired of all the 'sellers' that are around, shoo them away when I catch them but they seem to arrive at 2 minute intervals! Only this last year or so have I seen the looky looky men out and about during the day - they only seemed to appear at night years ago- but I suppose they are out to sell whatever they can whenever they can!

bonitatime
04-06-2012, 14:55
They seem to be about to do something about the massage people.

ednikk
05-06-2012, 01:46
There are people out there that want to work me being one of them, however it is hard to find a job when you apply for them and do not get any response back. I have applied for many jobs not only on Tenerife forum but also on other web sites but with every one of them i have received no responses of any kind or feed back from the people advertising the job vacancy, either for an interview or even to let you know the job is no longer available.
Do the people advertising these jobs really want to hire hard working, honest, reliable people, because if they do maybe they should get back to the people answering their ads. Just a suggestion!!!!!!!!

sunseeker
05-06-2012, 10:38
rudeness isnt right from either side.

Lyudmila
12-06-2012, 21:32
Hi! If you are still looking for job we've got a vacancy in the bar. PM me

Jackie
12-06-2012, 21:35
There are people out there that want to work me being one of them, however it is hard to find a job when you apply for them and do not get any response back. I have applied for many jobs not only on Tenerife forum but also on other web sites but with every one of them i have received no responses of any kind or feed back from the people advertising the job vacancy, either for an interview or even to let you know the job is no longer available.
Do the people advertising these jobs really want to hire hard working, honest, reliable people, because if they do maybe they should get back to the people answering their ads. Just a suggestion!!!!!!!!

To be honest I wouldn't bother applying for jobs on a majority of the websites...there are some still being advertised on websites that were there 5 years ago when we first moved here :(

dominatormadmax
12-06-2012, 21:56
Hi! If you are still looking for job we've got a vacancy in the bar. PM me

Hi I am Paul. I just got a message from this thread and was wondering if I could apply for this job in your bar. I am still looking for job and have years of experience in bar work .

ednikk
12-06-2012, 22:08
Hi Lyudmila,

Just saw the message, yes still looking for work PM sent.

the_kat
15-06-2012, 10:38
I think generally people do want to work, but as with everything there are two sides to the story. Some people are happier to live of benefits and handouts than to drag their behinds out of bed to go to a job everyday, although I believe here the benefit system isn't so easy to abuse as in the UK. Some people are so obsessed with what they USED to be able to earn that they expect the same sort of wage package, and won't even consider a job if it isn't up to what they are prepared to accept money wise. On the flip side a lot of employers now are using the crisis to their advantage, paying minimum wage for a maximum workload, not caring about the attitude or service skills of those they employ, so long as they do the amount of work required and will do it for a pittance they are happy. Fortunately for them there are a lot of people out there who will do it. I do think a lot of employers are abusing the power they have at the minute, employing people based of how little they can get away with paying them, rather than on skills, personality and suitability to the job. I will say that you can generally tell staff that are well paid, they will normally be friendlier, happier and better qualified at what they do, ones that aren't tend to be unpleasant to deal with and as if it's a chore to serve you....why?? well maybe they resent that they are being paid so little, maybe they are stressed because they are being asked to do TOO much but can't quit for fear of not finding another job....maybe they have had to work everyday that week or month even and can't refuse the work for fear of being fired.......I think that is a big issue aswell.

Javi
27-06-2012, 23:52
Ironically, I went to England once month ago looking for job and willing to work and found nothing...decent, just a few hours here and there. Mini jobs or what people say here: "trabajo basura" which didn't allow me to afford a lease and even less having brought my family from Tenerife in order to start a new life in UK.