PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch Sir Terry Pratchett tonight?

megsdad
13-06-2011, 23:39
and the ensuing newsnight programme? How bout the doctor who said in a very Germanic tone " If he vas not English perhaps ve vould hav let him live til xmas"A non profit making organisation? Who pays the 2 minders when you arrive? who pays for the killing house? That "doctor" was no Mother Teresa!
1100 murders at 10k a time= 11 million quid, wish I could turn over that non profit making dosh and find those "willing" volunteer workers.
The most frightening statistic of the programme? 21%, thats 1 in 5 did NOT have a terminal illness, thet just had the money to be killed, ah well saves the governmnt a few bob I suppose

Goforgold
14-06-2011, 17:26
and the ensuing newsnight programme? How bout the doctor who said in a very Germanic tone " If he vas not English perhaps ve vould hav let him live til xmas"A non profit making organisation? Who pays the 2 minders when you arrive? who pays for the killing house? That "doctor" was no Mother Teresa!
1100 murders at 10k a time= 11 million quid, wish I could turn over that non profit making dosh and find those "willing" volunteer workers.
The most frightening statistic of the programme? 21%, thats 1 in 5 did NOT have a terminal illness, thet just had the money to be killed, ah well saves the governmnt a few bob I suppose

I didn't see this one, but they had a similar programme a year or so back, following someone who used Dignitas. Great set up, but we could do with one in the UK, or better still be able to have the facility at home.

garlicbread
14-06-2011, 18:12
I didn't see this one, but they had a similar programme a year or so back, following someone who used Dignitas. Great set up, but we could do with one in the UK, or better still be able to have the facility at home.

What on earth do you mean by that?

Suej
14-06-2011, 18:15

Cant ever see that happening in the UK GFG but wouldnīt that be the perfect way to go! circumstances allowing of course.

howard thornton
14-06-2011, 18:19
Cant ever see that happening in the UK GFG but wouldnīt that be the perfect way to go!

yes ,better than having to suffer like my mother inlaw,and my wife having to watch her.some people have no idea at all.

Goforgold
14-06-2011, 18:20
What on earth do you mean by that?

Exactly what it said.

It would be the perfect way to go - having that choice. However I do respect anyone who does not hold those beliefs, just wish they wouldn't stand in the way of those that do.

Bazz
14-06-2011, 19:21
We don't let animals suffer. Why should humans have to suffer? Totally agree with GFG.

Vortex Wake
14-06-2011, 19:36
How do you know if someone with alzheimer's IS suffering?

Suej
14-06-2011, 19:39
How do you know if someone with alzheimer's IS suffering?

You probably would not consider this option if the person was not of sound mind.

Goforgold
14-06-2011, 19:51
We don't let animals suffer. Why should humans have to suffer? Totally agree with GFG.

We had to let our very much loved Goldie Greyhound go just over a week ago. Such a very hard decision to make, but we loved her too much to let her suffer and waste away. If OH or myself are in the same position at some time, this is how we would like to go.

I don't think people with alzheimers do suffer - but if I get that awful disease then I definitely would like to be put out of my misery. I see no point in me carrying on living if I don't know anything about it!!!

Added after 7 minutes:

You probably would not consider this option if the person was not of sound mind.

For me, not being of sound mind, would be even more reason for my life to be ended. Everyone in my family knows how I feel, so no chance of me being bumped off against my will. I can't see the problem if everyone around you knows exactly how you feel. The thing is, if I wasn't well enough to speak up and stop anyone who was going to get rid of me prematurely, then in my mind I might as well not be living anyway, so they will have done me a favour.

Vortex Wake
14-06-2011, 20:00
We had to let our very much loved Goldie Greyhound go just over a week ago. Such a very hard decision to make, but we loved her too much to let her suffer and waste away. If OH or myself are in the same position at some time, this is how we would like to go.

I don't think people with alzheimers do suffer - but if I get that awful disease then I definitely would like to be put out of my misery. I see no point in me carrying on living if I don't know anything about it!!!

My mother has severe alzheimer's but she still reponds in a limited way (she can see me, she responds to my touch, she gives me a beaming smile ) . The idea that SHE could decide when she wanted to die many years earlier, when she WAS of sound mind does not bear thinking about.

Suej
14-06-2011, 20:24
My mother has severe alzheimer's but she still reponds in a limited way (she can see me, she responds to my touch, she gives me a beaming smile ) . The idea that SHE could decide when she wanted to die many years earlier, when she WAS of sound mind does not bear thinking about.

Sorry to hear that! thatīs awful VW! itīs a freedom of choice thing I suppose and would only suit a small percentage of many people who are sufffering or dying. I would hope that anyone considering such measures would be 200% sure that this is what they want, same goes for the family. and as we always say on here itīs only personal opinions.

Goforgold
14-06-2011, 20:35

I'm sorry to hear about your mother and I don't want to be disrespectful, but surely the decision is something personal to each individual who decides that this is what they want, not for the people around them. If I had alzeihmers it would be my choice that I wouldn't want to continue, I wouldn't want to stay around just to keep my family happy.

kieraj
15-06-2011, 00:35
I work in this area, and oh my god if if I knew this is how I was going to end my days I would personally choose to go sooner rather than later, I am sure my family would not want to see me like that kinda ruins the good memories. my opinion