PDA

View Full Version : Sting concert cancelled in Tenerife

Canarian Weekly
04-06-2012, 12:20
Sting’s concert planned for Tenerife at the end of this month – 30th June – as part of his “Back to Bass” tour has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales, only 6,000 tickets of the 13,000 capacity venue have been sold. A further reason for the cancellation is due to the logistical requirements set [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/sting-concert-cancelled/)

9PLUS
04-06-2012, 16:24
The second concert to cancel in the same number of weeks not great is it.

TOTO 99
04-06-2012, 16:30
Let's hope Pitbull doesn't get distemper.........:laugh:

9PLUS
04-06-2012, 17:23
€25 tickets well within reach of most people.

Heard there's going to be a free admission event in the south soon...

henry
04-06-2012, 18:41
hey browski´s and peps. yup it something!! first wrestling cancelled, then the rock show, now sting. cancelled. i like some music of sting and i bet you bet you and pitbull going to cancelled as well!!! sorry but to me it feels like the big stars coming here and relized omg!! low low ticket sales then to me it feels like the stars giving us the finger and go to madrid or barcelona etc. i think that´s not right for us music fans. if you have a good price like maybe 15 euros or so yeah!! you get more people not no 35 euros or more. sorry browski´´s and peps but it really feel like the stars giving us the finger on this. if this keeps up no stars be coming to tenerife

KirstyJay
04-06-2012, 21:32
I think with the highest unemployment rate in Spain, concert tickets are not at the top of the majority of people's priority list... I'd be interested in hearing who'll be playing at a free one though.

Loaded
04-06-2012, 21:37
It's got nothing to do with how much tickets are or how many people are unemployed, they just keep bringing rubbish over. Sting hasn't been any good for as long as steve martin hasn't been funny - maybe longer ....

tonypub
04-06-2012, 21:52
I think with the highest unemployment rate in Spain, concert tickets are not at the top of the majority of people's priority list... I'd be interested in hearing who'll be playing at a free one though.elvis will be there for surerolleyes2:

tmfkahs
04-06-2012, 22:03
It's got nothing to do with how much tickets are or how many people are unemployed, they just keep bringing rubbish over. Sting hasn't been any good for as long as steve martin hasn't been funny - maybe longer ....

The annual 3 day FREE Blues festival in Santa Cruz ( Santa Blues) has been reduced to just 1 night this year. Was this down to (in your opinion) the rubbish that have performed consistently over the last 10 years and those that would have been booked this year? Or down to the current financial climate?
I have tickets for Sting, apparently one of only 6,000 who could afford and was willing to pay the entrance fee, along with all the other concerts I have attended over the last 15 years. From BB King to Alicia Keys, including Bonnie Tyler, Joe Cocker, Craig David, Simply Red, Shakira et al.
There are no concerts in Tenerife like there used to be and this is down to the current climate, not to the artist. It was a bold gesture, in my opinion, by the promoter.
If Sting is not your thing, so be it, but you seem almost happy that this effort has failed. I feel sad for you.
I wish I could have your tastes and then I wouldn't be as disappointed by the lack of concerts in Tenerife.

Loaded
04-06-2012, 22:54
The annual 3 day FREE Blues festival in Santa Cruz ( Santa Blues) has been reduced to just 1 night this year. Was this down to (in your opinion) the rubbish that have performed consistently over the last 10 years and those that would have been booked this year? Or down to the current financial climate?
I have tickets for Sting, apparently one of only 6,000 who could afford and was willing to pay the entrance fee, along with all the other concerts I have attended over the last 15 years. From BB King to Alicia Keys, including Bonnie Tyler, Joe Cocker, Craig David, Simply Red, Shakira et al.
There are no concerts in Tenerife like there used to be and this is down to the current climate, not to the artist. It was a bold gesture, in my opinion, by the promoter.
If Sting is not your thing, so be it, but you seem almost happy that this effort has failed. I feel sad for you.
I wish I could have your tastes and then I wouldn't be as disappointed by the lack of concerts in Tenerife.

Firstly congratulations on being able to access my mood by reading one post ....

However; BB king - legend, Joe cocker - legend.... Bonnie Tyler.... Hmmm I'll let you off only because of total eclipse of the heart (her only good song?).

All the rest you mentioned, utter crap, shakira? Simply red? Craig David? And you forgot to mention 50cent who was shocking too.... Do me a favor this is a poor ensemble of music.

The best band to have come here in recent years was ocean colour scene 5-6 years ago

Elton, rod Stewart, Michael Bolton... Oh my god a who's who of banality

Added after 19 minutes:

Here's an idea, the concerts that have been cancelled : sting and the rock coast festival......

Sting they expected far too many people, James blunt has recently done a successful gig at the auditorium.... Now, blunt is not as big as the police in their day but currently he's more of a star, yet he performs at a smaller venue and doesn't have to cancel.... Maybe sting should have done similar instead of expecting 20,000 people to come and see him - seriously, 20,000 sting fans in Tenerife willing to go and see Him? No way. Even 50c managed to fill the recinta ferial and thats a rapper!

Rock coast tried to put on too many acts and the quality of them was poor, marylin Manson and smashing pumpkins???? Wow.

Angusjim
05-06-2012, 08:45
Firstly congratulations on being able to access my mood by reading one post ....

However; BB king - legend, Joe cocker - legend.... Bonnie Tyler.... Hmmm I'll let you off only because of total eclipse of the heart (her only good song?).

All the rest you mentioned, utter crap, shakira? Simply red? Craig David? And you forgot to mention 50cent who was shocking too.... Do me a favor this is a poor ensemble of music.

The best band to have come here in recent years was ocean colour scene 5-6 years ago

Elton, rod Stewart, Michael Bolton... Oh my god a who's who of banality

Added after 19 minutes:

Here's an idea, the concerts that have been cancelled : sting and the rock coast festival......

Sting they expected far too many people, James blunt has recently done a successful gig at the auditorium.... Now, blunt is not as big as the police in their day but currently he's more of a star, yet he performs at a smaller venue and doesn't have to cancel.... Maybe sting should have done similar instead of expecting 20,000 people to come and see him - seriously, 20,000 sting fans in Tenerife willing to go and see Him? No way. Even 50c managed to fill the recinta ferial and thats a rapper!

Rock coast tried to put on too many acts and the quality of them was poor, marylin Manson and smashing pumpkins???? Wow.

Could be that the so called quality bands etc are just not interested in coming to a wee rock in the middle of no where.

Loaded
05-06-2012, 09:11
Could be but that's why the organizers need to get up coming talent or guys on their way down but not at the very bottom (Michael Bolton, smashing pumpkins, rod Stewart) and don't try and get acts or bands that are easy listening like Elton John in the misguided idea that "everyone likes a bit of (insert crap generic has been here)".

Obviously up coming bands and ones on the way down aren't going to get 20,000 people going to them but this amount is perhaps not currently achievable or normal for the acts we're talking about, would michael Bolton play a stadium gig in the Uk or an arena? That's right, an arena.

50c came over , and although I HATE that sort of music I had to go because of my partners 15year old sister.... He had a very good turn out at the recinta ferial and I would say his concert was a success. 50c is a massive artist in that genre but is a few years after his peak sonot was possible to bring him here.

Maybe the organizers need to look at a few bands that could do similar to 50c and James blunt (who successfully played the auditorio)?

Added after 34 minutes:

The way we're going Cliff Richard will be here next

sunseeker
05-06-2012, 10:35
id rather marilyn manson and smashing pumpkins than ocean colour scene. dont put ur tastes on us all. i like hard rock. why cant there be artists playing that i like to in ur opinion?

Loaded
05-06-2012, 10:47
There can be , I like hard rock too - I just don't rate Marilyn Manson.

Added after 3 minutes:

Strange wording to your post sun seeker "why can't there
Be bands i like in your opinion?" - please show me where i have said this?

TOTO 99
05-06-2012, 11:21
It's always about money in the end and who can blame them. Moving stuff around by sea must be a logistics nightmare and a lot of these gigs seem to just be tagged onto an already planned tour as an afterthought. Then someone realises it's not as handy as they first thought. If ticket sales aren't great they will lose on the deal.
I think the gigs would have gone ahead had they been on the mainland which wouldn't incur the same costs.
It's not a particularly large island so it would be hard to guess which acts would be most successful given the numbers who would actually make the effort and turn out let alone part with £30 or so.
Out of the "successful" acts so far, I wonder if any of them have plans to return to Tenerife? That would prove to me that they'd made enough money on the gig.

Suej
05-06-2012, 13:53
Could be but that's why the organizers need to get up coming talent or guys on their way down but not at the very bottom (Michael Bolton, smashing pumpkins, rod Stewart) and don't try and get acts or bands that are easy listening like Elton John in the misguided idea that "everyone likes a bit of (insert crap generic has been here)".

Obviously up coming bands and ones on the way down aren't going to get 20,000 people going to them but this amount is perhaps not currently achievable or normal for the acts we're talking about, would michael Bolton play a stadium gig in the Uk or an arena? That's right, an arena.

50c came over , and although I HATE that sort of music I had to go because of my partners 15year old sister.... He had a very good turn out at the recinta ferial and I would say his concert was a success. 50c is a massive artist in that genre but is a few years after his peak sonot was possible to bring him here.

Maybe the organizers need to look at a few bands that could do similar to 50c and James blunt (who successfully played the auditorio)?

Added after 34 minutes:

The way we're going Cliff Richard will be here next

I agree! and I am not in the least bit surprised that only 8000 tickets were sold for Sting! Newer talent please! Stop digging up these ageing rock stars! they should know when it's time to give up and make way for newer talent!

God forbid!!!!:laugh:

Loaded
05-06-2012, 15:23
Also with the cost of transport issues.... I agree to an extent that we are added as an afterthought and then when the costs are really analyzed the organizers decide it's more than usual, but here's some bands that did come out and play in Tenerife that have a big set up and didn't try to play to 20,000 people:

The pretenders
Van Morrison
James blunt
Ocean colour scene
The beach boys
Bootleg Beatles
Counterfeit Beatles
Chuck berry
Joe cocker
Jamiroquai
Wilco
Teenage Fanclub

TOTO 99
05-06-2012, 15:33
Also with the cost of transport issues.... I agree to an extent that we are added as an afterthought and then when the costs are really analyzed the organizers decide it's more than usual, but here's some bands that did come out and play in Tenerife that have a big set up and didn't try to play to 20,000 people:

The pretenders
Van Morrison
James blunt
Ocean colour scene
The beach boys
Bootleg Beatles
Counterfeit Beatles
Chuck berry
Joe cocker
Jamiroquai
Wilco
Teenage Fanclub

Agreed, but you can bet your life they lost money on it don't you think?
As I said earlier, how many play more than once?
You'd better dust the axe off and put your band on tne list for the free concert..lol

Loaded
05-06-2012, 17:02
Lol I wish I could!

chifleta
05-06-2012, 17:16
oh well, I've been to 2 concerts in my life, David Bowie in the 80's before his music got too wierd for my taste, and I got to go watch my all time faves, the old n wrinkly Simply Red over here, and paid LOTS of dosh for two VIP tickets (5th Row, don't mind if I do) and I didn't bat an eyelid at that time LOL actually still don't care that i spent that sort of money, and one of the tickets was for OH just so he could video it all for me .... I can live the rest of my life here on the Reef a happy girl..... :band::049::guitar2::rave:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHWPyXWesvU&feature=plcp

9PLUS
05-06-2012, 17:28
The Jamiroquai concert in Tenerife was great.

Loaded
05-06-2012, 17:53
The Jamiroquai concert in Tenerife was great.

Agh can't stand him lol

9PLUS
05-06-2012, 18:09
Him? Them...

Loaded
05-06-2012, 18:24
Yeah you say them but no one knows anyone in the band except the dude with the hat

9PLUS
05-06-2012, 18:30
still them

hair splitter

x

TOTO 99
05-06-2012, 20:25
Are you guys Kidding? Stuart Zender.. incredible bass player and part of the JK machine.

Hands up, I can't name any other member of the band...lol

Loaded
05-06-2012, 20:35
Wikipedia is your friend.

9PLUS
06-06-2012, 19:17
I think with the highest unemployment rate in Spain, concert tickets are not at the top of the majority of people's priority list... I'd be interested in hearing who'll be playing at a free one though.

A few local bands from around the island so i've heard.

warbey
06-06-2012, 20:07
I believe the South at least should have a decent sized Theatre

cum Entertainment Centre.

The o nly way is maybe to do more than just the One Show, at a better (Lower) Price

and a bit of sunbathing in between

You would need deep Pockets before it was proved to work though.

It woulalso be alternative attraction for Holidaymakers too, which cant be bad.

KirstyJay
08-06-2012, 02:16
There's Magma and Tropicana. Both decent sized venues in the south, and both under-used - especially the latter.

9PLUS
08-06-2012, 08:03
There's Magma and Tropicana. Both decent sized venues in the south, and both under-used - especially the latter.

Magma for one thing on another it's used nearly every weekend, The non public stuff is nomally presentations or private conferences, and a national and worldwide level

csoti
12-06-2012, 14:39
hmm.
I am (sort of) a musician. For me: Those people how play any type of instrument, but cancel a concert because less people would come and see/hear them as they expect, are not musicians. They are just people how want to take out more money from our pockets. I think it is so simple.
And if somebody acting like this easily lose fans...