PDA

View Full Version : Massive weekend on the way for CD Tenerife

Fred Perry
06-06-2012, 10:10
CD Tenerife are very much alive and kicking. Not just on the pitch as we play our play-off games for a possible promotion but more importantly(for me) off the pitch. As long as that is healthy it is only a matter of time before the club gets back in to the "big time" if it is not to be this time.

THURS June 7th @ 11am - Children´s "Open Day" in the Heliodoro. Hundreds of children from all parts of the Island will go and watch the players training session. After treats will be handed out plus the usual photos and autographs signed.

BIG WEEKEND - FRENTE BLANQUIAZUL 25th ANNIVERSARY

Friday 8th June 8pm - Talk with ex-players in the local, Cristo Marrero, Pier and others
Sat 9th June 11am - 7 a side tournament CDT Veterans vs Fan Clubs vs Frente Blanquiazul
Sat 9th June - Concert in Los Realejos with NON SERVIUM(punk/oi!) & Oi! Se Arma(Street punk/metal)
Sun 10th June Midday - Play-Off semi final - CDT vs Linense with 25th anniversary TIFO which will be awesome(a lorry has needed to be hired just to transport this flag!)

Exciting times, tickets already sold out for Sunday in the Grada Popular. :tiphat:

FinnKris
06-06-2012, 12:34
CD Tenerife are very much alive and kicking. Not just on the pitch as we play our play-off games for a possible promotion but more importantly(for me) off the pitch. As long as that is healthy it is only a matter of time before the club gets back in to the "big time" if it is not to be this time.

This is always great to hear (&read), CDT is indeed a fantastic club that for me belongs in La Liga for so many reasons.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know the current state of our finances? There was talk a while back that the players hadn't been paid for a few months & the major sponsors not paying up? Any light at the end of the tunnel in this regard?

What worries me is the situation with our old debt, as the bulk (if I have understood it correctly) of it is held by the Canarian bank Caja Canarias & they are being bought up/merging with some other bank & additionally given the worrying situation Spain & Spanish banks in particular are facing. In essence, is there any risk the bank is gonna pull the plug on us?

Fred Perry
06-06-2012, 18:00
The debt has been reduced to somewhere near 20 million€. That was due to selling of land owned by the Club from the 90´s. As I understand it the players have all been more or less paid up to date and the employees have received a part of what they owed. The money probably came from ticket sales plus TV Canaria paying extra for the play-off matches.

Sponsors have still not paid up and what is worse the Tourist board despite having a contract with CD Tenerife until 2015 said they cannot pay anything (and still owe for last season!). Incredibly there are rumours that the Tourist board are about to sponsor the "Canarias" basketball team to the tune of 2 million€ so that they are able to play in the top basketball league next season. They need to raise 4 million before next week(2 million from Tourist board, 1 million from La Laguna council and 1 million from sponsors/fan season tick. sales). So now you know where our money has gone. Scandalous if confirmed.

bonitatime
06-06-2012, 21:26
The money for all the wages was ground by the President and the council members. People should remember this sort of thing before they bad mouth them.

As for the Canarias money, if the Cabildo think their advertising money is better spent there that is their choice. But what is worth remembering is that the Cabildo have just taken On a several millón euro debt for land mortgaged by the club.

Chayofa Tete
07-06-2012, 08:26
The debt situation can wait lets sort out Sunday first wish I could be there but the computer will have to do Aupa TeTe

Becky
07-06-2012, 10:41
The debt has been reduced to somewhere near 20 million€. That was due to selling of land owned by the Club from the 90´s. As I understand it the players have all been more or less paid up to date and the employees have received a part of what they owed. The money probably came from ticket sales plus TV Canaria paying extra for the play-off matches.

Sponsors have still not paid up and what is worse the Tourist board despite having a contract with CD Tenerife until 2015 said they cannot pay anything (and still owe for last season!). Incredibly there are rumours that the Tourist board are about to sponsor the "Canarias" basketball team to the tune of 2 million€ so that they are able to play in the top basketball league next season. They need to raise 4 million before next week(2 million from Tourist board, 1 million from La Laguna council and 1 million from sponsors/fan season tick. sales). So now you know where our money has gone. Scandalous if confirmed.

From what a friend tells me, it is scandalous also that the football club was literally gifted prime land by the authorities for a big training complex in La Laguna, which it then cleverly managed to have reclassified as building land to be able to sell part of it off recently to reduce its crippling debts. They have been living off the Cabildo for donkey's years. They do absolutely nothing to generate revenue themselves through corporate events, proper merchandising and fund-raising etc. So they shouldn't moan if other clubs and other sports, particularly if they are more successful, get a look in from time to time.

bonitatime
07-06-2012, 21:08
I think you are somewhat confused.

The club hasn't complained and the land was heavily mortgaged and the 10 million which comes off the quantity Fred Perry talks about comes from this.

Fred Perry
07-06-2012, 21:59
From what a friend tells me, it is scandalous also that the football club was literally gifted prime land by the authorities for a big training complex in La Laguna, which it then cleverly managed to have reclassified as building land to be able to sell part of it off recently to reduce its crippling debts. They have been living off the Cabildo for donkey's years. They do absolutely nothing to generate revenue themselves through corporate events, proper merchandising and fund-raising etc. So they shouldn't moan if other clubs and other sports, particularly if they are more successful, get a look in from time to time.

You are quite right about the lack of generating money by the club Becky. The Cabildo did though sponsor the shirts that is why they paid the money in the past. The club have not moaned in the slightest in the case that the basketball team does in the end receive the big funding but never in a million years will basketball have as much interest as football in Spainn, Europe or anywhere.
The thing that annoys me is that the cabildo had a signed contract with Tenerifwe which has basically been ripped up as they said there is no money. Then 3 weeks later they suddenly have 2 million€ towards a sport with a minority following.