PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get Spanish lessons in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife?

curriegirl
07-06-2012, 21:58
Does anyone know of any free or cheap Spanish lessons in or around Puerto? We hope to be there from September till December and would appreciate any information on this.
We have attended one course for beginners early this year in Puerto, but it was quite pricey, so looking for something else.

Megaloo
08-06-2012, 08:46
Hello curriegirl. I am starting up a language school in Tenerife and although I am starting small with beginners courses, by September I hope to have rented some premises and be introducing more levels. Unfortunately it might be a wee bit far for you to travel as I am in El Médano, just north of the south airport. If you are interested though, please check out my website www.babelacademy.es. I'm currently also doing Skype lessons with many of my students which may be something that interests you?
Whatever you choose, te deseo mucha suerte!!

Thanks for that information but more affordable lessons are needed here in the North of the Island

Not sure what Curriegirl thinks but travelling that distance really is a bit too far.

canarybird
09-06-2012, 11:02
Currie Girl...
Someone has posted a notice at Alvaro's tennis club for getting together a group once a week for tea and conversation in Spanish.
Not sure who is doing that or how good they are as a teacher. They want to charge 20 Euros per month. I'll try and find out more for you if I can.

Canarybird

curriegirl
09-06-2012, 20:21
Thanks for the information, yes i probably is a wee bit too far away as we don't have a car. Skype may be a possibility
Will think about that.

Thanks again

Added after 7 minutes:

Hi Canarybird. The notice at Alvaros does sound good. I would really be interested in that. I am sure Megaloo would be interested as well!!!!!! what do you think about that Megaloo???
Price is very good, even just trying to have a conversation in Spanish is a great way to learn. The class I have been taking in Scotland is a conversational class and I must say half of the sentence is in Spanish and the other half is in English. Still it's the only way to learn and I feel I must continue with this. It is also good fun and a way of making new friends.
Would appreciate it if you could find out more for me Canarybird.

Megaloo
09-06-2012, 21:35
Yes good idea Curriegirl, your conversation meet up sounds like me here with the Canarian lads their English has improved very well but not my Spanish:lol:

tracy hampshire
10-06-2012, 13:05
there´s a place down calle mazaroco, on the left down near the bottom, it´s some sort of comunity collage, they do 4 month courses, 2 classes a week, for 90 euros, at the end you sit an exam & get certificates, but there are quite a few places in puerto, usually about 6 euros an hour for a small group lesson x

Nata
17-06-2012, 17:41
I use http://www.spanishdict.com/learn
Its free and really fun!

Tizer
22-06-2012, 17:38
I went to the classes in Puerto in 'Universidad Popular' They are all in Spanish and I found them quite difficult! There wasn't an exam at the end of my course. Lots of hand outs and interaction though. I had to travel 30 kms to get there. I think I think I would prefer smaller groups. The next course won't start until October now.

curriegirl
28-06-2012, 19:42
Hi Tizer, this may have been the same one as I attended. It was upstairs in the harbour house that is the tourist information, down at the harbour in Puerto.
Exam at the end was optional. I didn't think they had another course until January next year. It was difficult and no English spoken at all. I suppose that was sensible as there was 14 in the class and all different nationalities, but I found that really hard. You had to ask questions in Spanish and the teacher replied in Spanish, so I was none the wiser. I felt if I could understand that then I wouldn't need to be there.

Tizer
29-06-2012, 08:43
Hi, Thank you, I need not feel so stupid any more.:spin: I was putting it down to being a 'mature student'!! The college is in Calle Mazarocco. Any way I am now trying 'spanishdict.com' as mentioned by an earlier blog, it is great! I am still having trouble memorizing words though!!:

curriegirl
04-07-2012, 20:59
A great podcast is Coffee Break Spanish. Free download. I have had loads of help from that.

ribuck
04-07-2012, 22:25
A great podcast is Coffee Break Spanish. Free download.
I'll second that! The Coffee Break Spanish episodes are great! Don't worry about the "premium materials", the free podcasts are fine by themselves.

cypriancal
13-04-2014, 11:37
Hi, I am in Puerto De La Cruz aswell and I need to learn spanish too. I `ve been at Cruz Roja and they booked me for spanish classes on 23 April 16:30. So far I don`t know how it`s gonna be look like but it`s free I rekon. Anyway I`ve heard that some people willing to exchange for example spanish people are looking english to help each other. i`ve seen some posts before. Well, I try every option and will see what suits me ;-)) PS: I wonder how you doing ?

canarybird
13-04-2014, 12:57
Thanks for that link Currie Girl. Although I am fluent in Spanish I see they also have German and French, which I need to brush up on as I have spoken both but am rusty.
I also like that they offer "One Minute" language lessons (http://radiolingua.com/shows/other-languages/) for getting the basics of a whole list of other languages.
I would like to at least be able to say a few words to a Norwegian friend in her language and maybe learn some basics of some exotic Oriental language just for fun!
All of these without cost as I will only be listening to pod casts without buying books or flash cards.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-fw4SgJf/0/L/One%20Minute%20Langiages-L.jpg

Tijuana
13-04-2014, 13:12
A great podcast is Coffee Break Spanish. Free download. I have had loads of help from that.

Agreed. So have I. Doesn't do any harm that Mark & Kara are Scottish either :wink:

curriegirl, can I ask what course you attended in Scotland? I've been looking at Lorca Spanish but I'm not sure how I feel about the 'total immersion' approach, which is what they use.

cypriancal
13-04-2014, 13:36
Well, I can say that I like that coure Coffe Break Spansih ;))) I would recomend that to a friend ;-))

cypriancal
14-04-2014, 21:49
Today I've been at Fu Internationale Academy North. In my opinion it is too expensive so I'll stay with coffee break Spanish but you can always have a look on their website www.fu-tenerife.com

curriegirl
19-04-2014, 19:31
Hi there, I am STILL attending a Spanish class in Edinburgh. It is once a week in the local community high school. The teacher is great. She is from Madrid but lived in the Canaries for some time. I am now in the post beginners, but struggling a bit, however I think some of my classmates are swots!!!! Or maybe I am just getting too old to learn a new language.
There is a website caller "study spanish" I do a bit extra homework on this. It is really good. Our teacher is covering most of what is on here. The is a free test, but if you want to subscribe, obviously you get more info. I feel the free stuff is ok. Hope this helps.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The website is study spanish.com

Hope you like it

Curriegirl