PDA

View Full Version : Internet Can I get internet whilst on holiday in Tenerife with a dongle?

conandina
09-06-2012, 20:32
Hope somebody can advise.

I need to have internet/email access whilst on holiday and I will be taking a netbook with me.

I was over at xmas for nearly a month and bought a dongle (from the small shop next to Afortunadas in Las Chafiras)
with one month's worth of use. That was fine for that length of time but I'm only coming for 2.5 weeks this time and
the same thing would work out to be really expensive.

I did try looking for pay as you go or something but couldn't see it anywhere.

I don't want to use free wi-fi for security reasons.

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks

curriegirl
09-06-2012, 20:39
sorry I can't help you with this but I am also interested in getting internet access for a short time. I will be in Tenerife for 10 weeks from September. Do you mind me asking how much it cost you for the dongle for one month???

junglejim
09-06-2012, 20:52
You might find some answers in this link or use search
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?12822-Buying-a-dongle-in-Tenerife-south&highlight=dongle

chris
09-06-2012, 21:47
sorry I can't help you with this but I am also interested in getting internet access for a short time. I will be in Tenerife for 10 weeks from September. Do you mind me asking how much it cost you for the dongle for one month???

I bought one for the month from a shop near the church square in Los Cristianos it cost 35 euros for 2 Gb of use and worked very well, this was using the Orange network.

Skeggy
09-06-2012, 22:01
I bought one for the month from a shop near the church square in Los Cristianos it cost 35 euros for 2 Gb of use and worked very well, this was using the Orange network.

I used a Vodafone Dongle whilst there for a month recently it cost 20€ for the dongle and £30€ for 2GB for the month which lasted me Ok, I still have the dongle and I beleive when I am over in Nov I can top up with varying amounts from about 5€, I bought it from Vodafone in Las Galletas. If you go there allow plenty of time because the last thing they do is rush.

Leam_Lin
10-06-2012, 00:05
I bought an unlocked dongle for 39 euro in January, locked would have been 29 euro.

Used orange in Jan/Feb for 10 euro a week.

In Tenerife at the moment & was advised to use vodaphone still 10 euro a week unlimited use.

Try A1 computers in San Eugenio shopping centre, first floor overlooking the taxi rank/las dalias., they are very good.

miguel
10-06-2012, 01:08
Hi, I believe you can hire a dongle for €39 for a month from the electrical shop in the Arona Gran Hotel Los Cristianos.

Hey Jude
10-06-2012, 08:46
Take a look at Masmovil 1 GB 15€. I have used it prepaid or you can get automatic reload when it falls below 5€ booked per creditcard. If you come to Tenerife often you can have a pause for months and then continue where you left off when you return. There is a shop now in Los Cristianos somewhere near the bus stop(Premium) or between Ten Bel and Chaparal (PH Electronics).

nigelmercier
10-06-2012, 10:24
Take a look at Masmovil 1 GB 15€. I have used it prepaid or you can get automatic reload when it falls below 5€ booked per creditcard. If you come to Tenerife often you can have a pause for months and then continue where you left off when you return. There is a shop now in Los Cristianos somewhere near the bus stop(Premium) or between Ten Bel and Chaparal (PH Electronics).

I've got MasMovil contract, but I'm sure there was a reason why I didn't go for the prepaid version. I must look into this...

OK, I've looked on their web site (http://www.masmovil.es/en/internet), nothing about prepaid Internet.

Pengwynne
10-06-2012, 13:34
Many pubs and coffee bars offer free wifi. So, if you need your netbook to access your emails, etc., buy a drink and/or a snack, and spend a couple of hours browsing the web at your leisure. Perfect!!

nigelmercier
10-06-2012, 15:25
Many pubs and coffee bars offer free wifi...

It would be really handy to have a list of these, perhaps I'll start a new thread (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?17232-Free-Wi-Fi-Hot-Spots-in-Tenerife&p=186067#post186067)...

sunseeker
10-06-2012, 19:03
OK, I've looked on their web site (http://www.masmovil.es/en/internet), nothing about prepaid Internet.yes there is. i was looking at it last night. they have 4 varying data plans. all can be payg or contract.

Margaretta
10-06-2012, 22:01
Very cross and disappointed with the Orange Dongle we bought last year...about 30euros, 12 euros connection and 35 euros for the month we were here. I only used it sometimes in the evening and most of the time it wouldn't connect or froze. Suddenly a total was running up which reached 11euros. We had been told that 35euros was for the whole month. The next time we came to Tenerife we found that the wrong finale date had been put on which meant the next block began two weeks early! Their error. We retrieved half our money and will never use the dongle again. It could be too that poor reception is because we are up the hill but it was never explained to us that the minutes are tallied! We use the internet cafes and bars now....WIFI in so many. Much nicer.