PDA

View Full Version : Why are my photos displaying sideways on Windows photo viewer

Suej
10-06-2012, 11:44
I get lots of photos sent to me from a friend's Blackberry phone (attachments in emails) the photos will only display sideways on Windows photo viewer and cannot be rotated!??? I have to open each pic in the Paint program but still have to rotate! Is the problem with my PC program or from my friends Blackberry and how can I rectify it please?:(

Harmonicaman
10-06-2012, 12:15
I get lots of photos sent to me from a friend's Blackberry phone (attachments in emails) the photos will only display sideways on Windows photo viewer and cannot be rotated!??? I have to open each pic in the Paint program but still have to rotate! Is the problem with my PC program or from my friends Blackberry and how can I rectify it please?:(

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture-17.png

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture-18.png

Suej
10-06-2012, 12:32
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture-17.png

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture-18.png

Hi HM! The photo viewer is my default program. I double click on the attachment from the email which then automatically opens the pic in WPV the two buttons you indicate for rotating are faded out so do not function! I only have this problem with the photos from my friend's BB phone! the only way they display the right way up is if he turns the phone sideways when he takes the shot! which he keeps forgetting to do!:(

Harmonicaman
10-06-2012, 12:50
OK. Click on Start button, then click on "Default programs". Next click on "Set default programs" and then pick another photo viewer/editor like "Windows live photo gallery". Try that and see how you get on...:hello:

Suej
10-06-2012, 12:57
OK. Click on Start button, then click on "Default programs". Next click on "Set default programs" and then pick another photo viewer/editor like "Windows live photo gallery". Try that and see how you get on...:hello:

Can't see that program? :doh:

DaveCull
10-06-2012, 13:01

We have the same problem, using Picaso viewer as default viewer.

Harmonicaman
10-06-2012, 13:08

Set it to "paint" then, and it'll save you having to open it each time.

Suej
10-06-2012, 13:16
Ta for that! I am just downloading Windows Live photo gallery so will give that a whirl!:thanx:

markcuk
10-06-2012, 13:28
you cannot rotate them if opening direct from your email program you have to save them to a folder and do from there.

Mark

Suej
10-06-2012, 13:39
you cannot rotate them if opening direct from your email program you have to save them to a folder and do from there.

Mark

Thanks Mark! but why do all other photos from attachments display the right way up? Sorry I like to know things! :lol:

Added after 4 minutes:

Installed Windows Live photo gallery but still displaying sideways! My friend and I are both sure that this never used to happen???

markcuk
10-06-2012, 13:43
might sound stupid but your friend might of took them on the side wrong way round :dontknow:

Suej
10-06-2012, 13:45
might sound stupid but your friend might of took them on the side wrong way round :dontknow:

If he turns his phone sideways to take the pics they will then display the right way up! but he keeps forgetting to do it!

:stupid:

nigelmercier
10-06-2012, 15:21

I think what Mark says is correct, have you tried it? Most modern cameras can sense which way up they are being held, and will normally display correctly in Windows.

Suej
10-06-2012, 15:37
I think what Mark says is correct, have you tried it? Most modern cameras can sense which way up they are being held, and will normally display correctly in Windows.

I've saved the attachment in a folder in My pictures but still opens up sideways! Ah just noticed I can actually rotate once it's in the folder! Cheers!

Easiest way I have just found is to change the "file type" after clicking on "Save As" then you don't have to put the pic in a folder!

nigelmercier
10-06-2012, 16:21
Ah just noticed I can actually rotate once it's in the folder! Cheers!

Easiest way I have just found is to change the "file type" after clicking on "Save As" then you don't have to put the pic in a folder!

Glad it's working, but changing the file type is not a good idea.

Harmonicaman
10-06-2012, 16:25

I assume it's a .jpg file to start with. If you change it to .png you won't lose too much resolution. (Shouldn't matter much unless you are a professional photographer!).

Suej
10-06-2012, 16:39
I assume it's a .jpg file to start with. If you change it to .png you won't lose too much resolution. (Shouldn't matter much unless you are a professional photographer!).

I just changed to (*.jpg) then it can be rotated with a right click > Rotate Clockwise or anti clockwise! It's still a pain when I don't want to keep the pic but can't find another way until my friend remembers to turn the phone sideways! :lol:

nigelmercier
10-06-2012, 16:42

Huh? PNG files are not lossy, whereas JPG files are, so you wouldn't lose any resolution. What I meant was, if you save it as a different file type, you may end up with duplicates.

If this is necessary to ensure that it opens in the correct viewer, then the file associations have got messed up. This is easy to fix, but I await replies to confirm this is the problem.

Suej
10-06-2012, 16:43

Actually I didn't change the file type is just gives an option of "Save file as" on the drop down option! OH! I'm all confused now! :ashamed:

EDIT!

I just took the pic that I had saved and emailed it to myself! it displays fine so I hope I haven't messed things up!