PDA

View Full Version : Other Why are there no dog poo bins in Tenerife?

minimadmandy
10-06-2012, 17:12
Just back from a week in Tenerife and had a great time.
However i have to ask the question why are there not any dog poo bins in Tenerife?
It's like the UK was 20 years ago when you spend most of the time whilst walking dodging the numerous dog deposits left behind.
I cannot believe that some owners will let their dog go right outside restaurants or in the middle of a pedestrian area where hundreds of people walk every day. I have noticed that it is particularly bad near and around residential complexes. Do the dogs owners not mind walking through other dogs deposits? This seems to be getting worse not better. I am a dog fan , so I'm not saying get rid of them, but if bins were provided and owners were encouraged to use them we would hopefully see a great improvement. It was the same here in the UK once but a million times better now owners accept the responsibility!

nigelmercier
10-06-2012, 17:26
The bins don't make much difference, irresponsible dog owners will still ignore their social responsibility. If the punishment for failing to clear up after a dog was that the dog was put down, perhaps more would comply. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but some dog owners make me mad.

marbro8
10-06-2012, 17:42
The bins don't make much difference, irresponsible dog owners will still ignore their social responsibility. If the punishment for failing to clear up after a dog was that the dog was put down, perhaps more would comply. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but some dog owners make me mad.bloody hell nigel that's a bit strong:wow: i think a large fine would suffice:bootyshake:;)

[QUOTE=marbro8;186159]bloody hell nigel that's a bit strong:wow: i think a large fine would suffice;)

sunseeker
10-06-2012, 18:44
put the dog owners down instead. :)

9PLUS
10-06-2012, 18:56
At the dog fight in Guia de Isora we have dog poo bins and refreshments for the kids

Everyone abides by the rules

x

Malteser Monkey
10-06-2012, 21:26
At the dog fight in Guia de Isora we have dog poo bins and refreshments for the kids

Everyone abides by the rules

x

Isn't that kid bins and refreshments for the dogs

(before anyone starts it's just a joke -trust me):D

you need to have our sense of humour coz there's always someone out there ..............:whistle::D

lapalma
10-06-2012, 22:03
Just back from a week in Tenerife and had a great time.
However i have to ask the question why are there not any dog poo bins in Tenerife?
It's like the UK was 20 years ago when you spend most of the time whilst walking dodging the numerous dog deposits left behind.
I cannot believe that some owners will let their dog go right outside restaurants or in the middle of a pedestrian area where hundreds of people walk every day. I have noticed that it is particularly bad near and around residential complexes. Do the dogs owners not mind walking through other dogs deposits? This seems to be getting worse not better. I am a dog fan , so I'm not saying get rid of them, but if bins were provided and owners were encouraged to use them we would hopefully see a great improvement. It was the same here in the UK once but a million times better now owners accept the responsibility!

There are no poo bins due to the fact that Spain sees no need of them and also the fact that Spain does not have any cash to deal with the problem.

angeldrawers
10-06-2012, 23:05
I bag it up and put it in any bin.What else are we supposed to do.Makes me so mad to see all the doggy do everywhere.Picking up after your own dog is part of the responsibility of dog ownership..Its not the nicest thing but it has to be done.

chifleta
11-06-2012, 16:39
unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any "fine" system for owners letting their dogs poo anywhere, and also letting dogs roam around the streets..... once the local councils/government start a system to put a halt to it, we'll just have to keep out heads down.. so we don't stand in any "caca de perro"

kingbaker
11-06-2012, 16:52
They did put out doggie pooh bins.......... but the little beeky chastards would'nt use them!!!!:crylaughing:

cainaries
11-06-2012, 20:15
I'm not very convinced people would use them even if they were everywhere. We frequently find cardboard boxes and empty water bottles in the containers designed for bagged domestic rubbish even when these are side by side with the recycling bins. I didnīt open the thread which said that Tenerife only recycles 5% of its waste, but it didnīt surprise me based on what goes on here on la isla bonita aka la isla verde.

lapalma
11-06-2012, 22:11
I'm not very convinced people would use them even if they were everywhere. We frequently find cardboard boxes and empty water bottles in the containers designed for bagged domestic rubbish even when these are side by side with the recycling bins. I didnīt open the thread which said that Tenerife only recycles 5% of its waste, but it didnīt surprise me based on what goes on here on la isla bonita aka la isla verde.

So you dont think that dogs crap is of any danger to children or adults ! and as you have had a look at the recycle thread I would think that you throw all your waste in one bin.Unless we all look after each other with dog poo bins and recycling I dont think we will survive.Going by what you have said in your post you do not seem to be very happy in living in the Canary Islands.I hope all goes well for you in the near future and that you may come into the year 2012.Thanks.

primrose
11-06-2012, 22:18
So you dont think that dogs crap is of any danger to children or adults ! and as you have had a look at the recycle thread I would think that you throw all your waste in one bin.Unless we all look after each other with dog poo bins and recycling I dont think we will survive.Going by what you have said in your post you do not seem to be very happy in living in the Canary Islands.I hope all goes well for you in the near future and that you may come into the year 2012.Thanks.

What on earth are you on about, where has Cainaries said all that you have accused her of. I find your post extremely rude.

chifleta
11-06-2012, 22:24

??? I think you read Cainaries post totally wrong Lapalma.... but hey ho, we all have our opinions :)

What on earth are you on about, where has Cainaries said all that you have accused her of. I find your post extremely rude.

glad I wasn't the only one that was surprised at lapalmas post.... I thought maybe it was late and I'm tired LOL:crazy:

Malteser Monkey
12-06-2012, 09:07
I'm not very convinced people would use them even if they were everywhere.

:eek::eek::eek:

No Cainaries not people DOGS !:crylaughing::crylaughing:

Yeap with you ! There's always one

Suej
12-06-2012, 11:04
It's the same here where we live! Dog pooh everywhere! even on community pathways! As for the recycling Don't think the Spanish have grasped that idea yet! :)

Happy Days
12-06-2012, 13:09
I have three dogs...and have asked the same question may times... why no dog poop bins.

Dog owners will all have place near their homes suitable for walking their dogs. Don't think the cost would be so high as to outweigh the benifits! Were I go, four bins would be enough.

Still, I would miss the times when people relise that the little blue bag I have in my hand is full of poo :)

Also, where we walk our dogs in the morning there are some handy re-cycling bins but am never sure which one to put it into! Plastic into one....

csoti
12-06-2012, 13:34
Hi there
I'm new in Tenerife and this Forum as well.
I can not tell how shocked was I when I first saw all of those dog poops...
Unbelievable.

carpenter
12-06-2012, 14:08
It's not as easy as the UK for several simple reasons.
In the UK it takes one dog to poop, one owner to pick it up and deposit the bag at a specially designated poop bin that ensures that the poop police don't fine you.

In the Canaries the one dog that poops doesn't necessarily have an owner with them to pick it up, if there is an owner then they would most likely pick it up I like to believe, but where do they put it ??? The heat would cause a normal bin to stink and breed all manner of bacteria and so a special bin would be required one that keeps the pong in.

So why not fine the owners of the dogs? Because no one knows who the owners are! The dogs have no medals or micro chips and so the owners cannot be traced and if a fine is attached to retrieving your dog from the pound then the dog will not be claimed.

"You can judge the greatness a a nation by the way they treat their animals" M Gandhi.

Again this is Spain not the UK and common sense does not prevail here and nothing changes, if you tried to include the basura de caka with the refuse collectors normal round then one word "STRIKE"

TenerifePool
13-06-2012, 12:40
Along the promenade between Caletillas and Candelaria there are a number of poop bins. We also have plastic bag dispensers and even a flushing doggie pee post. It's spotless!

Suej
13-06-2012, 13:01
Along the promenade between Caletillas and Candelaria there are a number of poop bins. We also have plastic bag dispensers and even a flushing doggie pee post. It's spotless!

On visiting Playa San Juan recently I noticed they had pooh bag dispensers on lamp posts! unfortunately they were all empty! I think it is down to the individual Ayuntamientos as to how much they want to invest in this project! It appears Arona don't want to spend anything to keep their pavements and thoroughfares clean!

Nicole
13-06-2012, 13:07
Hi Guys

I just moved here from the UK with two dogs. Having been here many time as a toursit it did always surprise me the amount of poop on the pavement. I would have thought that for a place that depends sooo much on tourism that this wouldn't be tolerated. I don't know if the lack of "poo pick up" is related to the reason why dog's aren't permitted on the beaches here?

I do usually believe when in Rome do as the Romans do, but this is one cultural apsect I intend to avoid.

Personally I don't like to stand in dog doo and would hate for others to stand in anythings my two did. If others in my area don't agree it's not really my place to comment ( especailly being the newbie and all). I will continue to clean up after my 2 furry woof's and watch where I step.

Adios
Nicole

missSJ
14-06-2012, 12:44
Quite a long time ago (about 10 years) they used to put little segments on the local tenerife TV channel, showing photos of dog owners & dogs that where caught pooing in Santa Cruz, with the question..who pooed here, the dog or the owner?!

Rochelle
12-01-2013, 21:29
I saw street cleaners in Adeje but they didn't clear up poo ? Surely if they are suppose to be cleaning the streets this is part of it ?

Maybe instead of fining criminals or putting them in prison they could "pick up poo", there is certainly plenty of it !!!

essexeddie
12-01-2013, 22:04
Disgusting, particularly bad around the Arona Grand Hotel. LC Just a dog toilet area.

YOUNG GOLFER
12-01-2013, 22:07
I saw street cleaners in Adeje but they didn't clear up poo ? Surely if they are suppose to be cleaning the streets this is part of it ?

Maybe instead of fining criminals or putting them in prison they could "pick up poo", there is certainly plenty of it !!!

Why should a street cleaner pick up pet owners poo because they cant be bothered.........pet owners should look after their pets and the mess they make end of story.
What they should do is really come down on owners who leave this mess and a huge fine of 1000 euros will make them think twice.
To many pet owners here can hardly look afer themselves let alone a pet.
Huge fines are the answer......and enforce them.

slodgedad
12-01-2013, 22:13
Why should a street cleaner pick up pet owners poo because they cant be bothered.........pet owners should look after their pets and the mess they make end of story.
What they should do is really come down on owners who leave this mess and a huge fine of 1000 euros will make them think twice.
To many pet owners here can hardly look afer themselves let alone a pet.
Huge fines are the answer......and enforce them.

I agree. Why should it be left to street cleaners?

YOUNG GOLFER
12-01-2013, 22:23
With out being rude someone is asking another human being to pick up s..t left by another human being who cant be arsed.........and it's their pet.:angry:

essexeddie
12-01-2013, 22:23
True but if the owners dont pick it up, who will?

YOUNG GOLFER
12-01-2013, 22:31
A 1000 euro fine will make them pick it up the next time.

Rochelle
12-01-2013, 22:34
Yes that was my point, just meant its a shame that the streets are being cleaned but kind of still left dirty if the poo is still there. I agree entitrely that the responsibility lies with the dogs owners..that is if the dogs have one. We actually saw someone just let there dog poo in the street and then just walk off but they were spanish and as "tourists/visitors" felt uneasy about confronting her, especially with the language barrier. My husband frequently hands poo bags to people in the UK who look like they aren't going to clear up ! Maybe dog licences and micro chipping should be made law and obviously need much stricter laws needed full stop with regards to dog ownerships and the responsibilites that come with such a privilage. It is NOT the dogs fault is it !

TF1
13-01-2013, 12:44
The problem with this is that enforcing fines would be close to impossible. Most dog owners take their pets out early morning or late evening; who is going to be patrolling the streets at these hours to sanction offenders? (it would require someone authorized to request ID and issue fines). CCTV is not a legal option due to privacy issues.
A more effective means could be an intensive public awareness campaign, pointing out that such behavior is anti-social, etc etc, hopefully the law abiding public would be so annoyed at seeing an offender that they would shame them in their own communities as dirty slobs.

Rochelle
13-01-2013, 12:54
Good idea, as I see what you mean about enforcing it. Very weird because as a responsible dog owner here in the UK I would not dream of not clearing up. I have gone so far as to picking up other people's dog mess just to keep my neighbour hood a "poo free zone". Education from a early age is needed to as people just need to realise that not clearing up is not an option !!! Maybe just a few noticea on lamposts from residents "We are watching you"...could frighten them into submission !