PDA

View Full Version : What is it like in Lanzarote for a holiday from Tenerife?

sunseeker
12-06-2012, 00:08
im thinking of taking a holiday in lanzarote. wheres the best place to go? is it any good? is there much to do?

i can take the car on the ferry for about 200€, so we can get around easily. has anyone been?

Ed3229
12-06-2012, 07:36
im thinking of taking a holiday in lanzarote. wheres the best place to go? is it any good? is there much to do?

i can take the car on the ferry for about 200€, so we can get around easily. has anyone been?

Playa Blanca is nice and Puerto del Carmen is like Playa de las Americas with all the clubs and bars....Fire mountain is worth a trip and the camel ride is good.I did the day trip to Fuerteventura on the ferry to visit the vineyards...I liked Arrecife for the shops and the restaurants on the Puerto del Carmen strip do some great steaks...https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=restaurants&hl=en&ll=28.920317,-13.649869&spn=0.010368,0.021136&safe=off&hq=restaurants&hnear=Fareham,+Hampshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&fll=28.91934,-13.648024&fspn=0.010443,0.021136&z=16&layer=c&cbll=28.920308,-13.649786&panoid=RGJBnswvWDp_CZCyuI1_qA&cbp=12,17.63,,0,4.39 Had a great steak here....

lesbroz
12-06-2012, 15:41
Lanzarote doesn't really do it for me, but if I was to stay there it would be Playa Blanca.

christa
12-06-2012, 18:54
We are just back from 2 weeks there, 1st week in PDC, 2nd Week PB. We also took the car on the ferry, enjoyed it that much are going back later in the year. Both resorts are great, PDC being bigger so more to do, but have to say, PB suits us better. (guess it depends on age and what type of holiday you want.) Dont forget to catch the ferry over to La Graciosa for the day, talk about unspoilt!!!

AL JAY
12-06-2012, 21:37
The book Treasure Island ...Is supposedly based on La Graciosa... see literary past below!

La Graciosa is often referred to as the eighth Canary Island. And with just 600 inhabitants, no roads and some seriously impressive beaches this arid little island is certainly a great destination for both day trippers and holiday makers alike.

General Information

The harbour at Caleta del SeboLa Graciosa already features on the itineraries of many Spanish and German visitors to Lanzarote. And it's a firm favourite with holiday makers from other Canary Islands, including Lanzaroteños.

But many British tourists usually opt to explore the larger neighbouring island of Fuerteventura instead. As there are no organised tours actively marketed to visitors from the UK.

But don’t let that put you off. As it´s simple to get to La Graciosa under your own steam and the island is well worth the visit. Thanks to the hugely impressive backdrop of the Famara massif which looms sentinel like above La Graciosa.

And an underdeveloped and relaxed feel that is reminiscent of Spain in the 1970´s when tourism was first taking off.

Literary Past?

Treasure Island – the great children’s book written by Robert Louis Stevenson, is said to be based on an incident that took place in the 1760s on La Graciosa.

On the road to Playa FrancesaDuring the 18th Century, many ships and trading vessels bound for the West Indies would pass through the Rio Straits, which run between Lanzarote and Graciosa. On one occasion, a British ship dropped anchor there, laden with spoils from a battle at sea.
Buried Treasure

Not realising that a pirate galleon had trailed them, the sailors managed to reach land and bury their treasure before the buccaneers stormed ashore. However, the British crew was hopelessly outnumbered. They were soon captured and tortured by the pirates in order to force them to reveal the whereabouts of their hoard. But they stayed tight lipped and died without revealing their secret.

Unbeknown to the pirates though a cabin boy managed to escape, making his way over to Lanzarote, from where he managed to board a ship to England. He only revealed the secret location of the buried treasure on his deathbed.

Mmmmmmm *Buys bucket and spade!:D

slodgedad
12-06-2012, 22:24
Lanzarote doesn't really do it for me, but if I was to stay there it would be Playa Blanca.

Iagree. Called there as part of a cruise a few years ago and it was shut..:devil2:

kathml
12-06-2012, 22:32
Iagree. Called there as part of a cruise a few years ago and it was shut..:devil2:
Same as santa cruz when the cruise ships come in

slodgedad
12-06-2012, 22:37
Same as santa cruz when the cruise ships come in

Only on a Sunday. This was a Thursday.

christa
12-06-2012, 22:37

Shut?? how long ago?? its got quite alot going for it now, a lovely seafront walkway (sea one side/restaurantes, bars shops on the other) which stretches quite a long way from the oldest marina to the new (rubicon) Lots of lovely shops bars etc in the town and the ferry leaves PB for Fuerteventura for those that fancy a day trip. Its only 2 years ago since we last went but its even bigger now.

slodgedad
12-06-2012, 22:42
8 years ago. We spent €20 on a taxi to the resort for the day and it was absolutely dead.

Half the bars and restaurants were closed.

Jackie
13-06-2012, 07:08
If you haven't been before then 2 weeks would be plenty to see and do everything available...you wouldn't need to go back lol. There are a few good 'touristy' things to see as in Ceasar Manriques house built in lava bubbles (I want that house lol), the underground audotorium where they hold concerts and the underground cave there that is home to thousands of blind white crabs..an amazing site, Timafaya (sp) National Park, much the same as Tiede although there is a bit more to do once you get tot the top of Fire Mountain. A must is a day at Papayago beach. It is between Playa Blanca and Puerto del Carmen and is set in a bay, it's stunning and could rival many other Tropical beaches. There is, or there was only one little shop there for food and drink and that is a trek up the cliffs, so be sure to take food and drink with you if you go and also some kind of shade, there are no sunbeds and umbrellas which for me makes it all the more appealing. Personally for me Playa Blanca was a bit dead and much preferred Puerto del Carmen. One thing to remember though is it does get quite windy even on sunny days so if you don't mind getting pebble dashed on the beach then you'll be fine lol

christa
13-06-2012, 07:51
A "Must do" is a visit to Lagomar in the small village of Nazaret. Its the house Omar Sharif had commissioned, built out of caves, and on the site is a lovely restaurant. Sadly Omar didn't have the house very long after it was built for him as he gambled it away in a game of bridge!