PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about the Hotel Sol Tenerife?

grimbo
14-06-2012, 10:17
Hello, im new to the forum :cheeky:.

I have signed up for some information really. I normally stay at the Parque Santiago 3 hotel and I did have it booked for this year too. But this year ive had to make amendments to my holiday and change the date of when I fly out. I spoke on the phone to my travel agent which informed me that the Parque Santiago 3 was fully booked during July so the travel agent gave me a list to choose from.

Having been going to Tenerife for a number of years I did have some knowledge of the hotels etc, anyway I decided to choose the Hotel Sol Tenerife as it seemed the best out of the bunch and the 4* really grabbed me (although reviews suggest its more like a 2* :doh:).

My question is, what is this hotel like? Ive read the reviews and they seem mixed. A lot of the reviews say the hotel is quite loud (its across from the strip). Is the hotel safe? good security?

Also, what preferences should I ask for when checking in? I understand that this hotel as two buildings and obviously I would be looking for a room with the lovely sea views.

We are in our twenties, just the two of us. We enjoy going to restaurants and having a few drinks in bars. We will probably go to the strip 3 times during the week. But most of the time, we like to relax during the day.

Any advice would be much appreciated, I am just having second thoughts about this hotel because its so close to the strip and I was really looking forward to another stay at the Parque Santiago. Please make me feel better about this hotel haha. Honest opinions though please :laugh:.

Thanks in advance.

Suej
14-06-2012, 11:01
Hello, im new to the forum :cheeky:.

I have signed up for some information really. I normally stay at the Parque Santiago 3 hotel and I did have it booked for this year too. But this year ive had to make amendments to my holiday and change the date of when I fly out. I spoke on the phone to my travel agent which informed me that the Parque Santiago 3 was fully booked during July so the travel agent gave me a list to choose from.

Having been going to Tenerife for a number of years I did have some knowledge of the hotels etc, anyway I decided to choose the Hotel Sol Tenerife as it seemed the best out of the bunch and the 4* really grabbed me (although reviews suggest its more like a 2* :doh:).

My question is, what is this hotel like? Ive read the reviews and they seem mixed. A lot of the reviews say the hotel is quite loud (its across from the strip). Is the hotel safe? good security?

Also, what preferences should I ask for when checking in? I understand that this hotel as two buildings and obviously I would be looking for a room with the lovely sea views.

We are in our twenties, just the two of us. We enjoy going to restaurants and having a few drinks in bars. We will probably go to the strip 3 times during the week. But most of the time, we like to relax during the day.

Any advice would be much appreciated, I am just having second thoughts about this hotel because its so close to the strip and I was really looking forward to another stay at the Parque Santiago. Please make me feel better about this hotel haha. Honest opinions though please :laugh:.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Grimbo! If you are expecting Tenerife Sol to be anything like Santiago 3 you might want to reconsider staying at this hotel! My Sister in law stayed there a couple of times and IMO it is most definitely more a 2 star rating. It is quite a noisy buzzy place and IMO needs updating both the rooms and the public areas the whole place seems a bit tired and worn. The pool area is chocka and the sunbeds could do with replacing. Personally I thought it was a fine for families with kids on a budget and youngsters wanting the clubs and bars on Veronicas but not for a relaxing quieter holiday which it sounds like you are looking for. Having said all this the Hotel might have made some improvements over the last year or so! Also I have to admit although I wouldn't want to spend even one night there the staff all seemed really helpful and pleasant! Sorry to be negative about the place but there is no comparison between Santiago 3 and Tenerife Sol on any level. :goodluck:

grimbo
14-06-2012, 11:20
Hi Grimbo! If you are expecting Tenerife Sol to be anything like Santiago 3 you might want to reconsider staying at this hotel! My Sister in law stayed there a couple of times and IMO it is most definitely more a 2 star rating. It is quite a noisy buzzy place and IMO needs updating both the rooms and the public areas the whole place seems a bit tired and worn. The pool area is chocka and the sunbeds could do with replacing. Personally I thought it was a fine for families with kids on a budget and youngsters wanting the clubs and bars on Veronicas but not for a relaxing quieter holiday which it sounds like you are looking for. Having said all this the Hotel might have made some improvements over the last year or so! Also I have to admit although I wouldn't want to spend even one night there the staff all seemed really helpful and pleasant! Sorry to be negative about the place but there is no comparison between Santiago 3 and Tenerife Sol on any level. :goodluck:

Thanks for your reply. Is it really that bad? :laugh:

What are the people like who stay at the hotel? groups? hen and stag nights? what will expect to see in the hotel?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

If I was to swap the hotel from this to a similar price one such as the columbus, what is the hotel columbus like?

curlytop
14-06-2012, 11:32
I have friends who stay at the Santiago 3 every year because they get good value for money, it's very clean and the location is superb. Like you grimbo, they have been pleased enough to return for the past 4 years! The Tenerife Sol was one on my list of hotels when I worked with Tour ops a few years ago. I agree with Suej and would personally have another look at your list. What options have they given you as other people on here may be able to advise?

Suej
14-06-2012, 11:34
Thanks for your reply. Is it really that bad? :laugh:

What are the people like who stay at the hotel? groups? hen and stag nights? what will expect to see in the hotel?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

If I was to swap the hotel from this to a similar price one such as the columbus, what is the hotel columbus like?

Sorry Grimbo but in my opinion The Tenerife Sol is second rate! Can't comment on the Columbus I'm afraid...I'm sure someone else will have had experiences to share though! As curlytop says put your list of hotels on here and see what feedback you get!

grimbo
14-06-2012, 11:40
Or what about the Sol Princesa Dacil Hotel?

tonypub
14-06-2012, 11:43
busiest time of year on veronicas is july,so it will be noisy.columbas a cheap hotel that will be full of young uns.try costa adeje,torviscas,fanabe,del duque areas.princess dacil area is ok,not sure about the hotel though

Suej
14-06-2012, 11:48
Or what about the Sol Princesa Dacil Hotel?

Still a low star rating but hear quite good reports about the cleanliness and apparently the food is quite good if you are on Half board or all inclusive! and in a quieter locality.

curlytop
14-06-2012, 12:09
I worked at the Columbus and the Dacil as well. I think in July you're going to get a mixture of people in a lot of the hotels - families and youngsters in the main. The majority of more senior people tend to visit in the Winter months and the Dacil had lots of repeat guests each year!
IMO the Dacil is a nicer hotel than the Columbus and if you're going to be spending a lot of time around the pool then the surroundings are far prettier. If you opt for this one then request a high floor and you'll get some nice views.
The Dacil is in Los Cristianos - it's set back slightly from the main road and is a short walk to both the sea front and town centre. It's a bit further away for the strip though!
The Columbus is closer to the strip and has, or certainly did have a lot of youth guests ie stag/hen parties etc. It's located on the corner of a busy intersection in Las Americas so you could expect a fair bit of traffic noise into the early hours. The pool area isn't much to write home about - concrete and more concrete as I recall.
Basically, the Columbus I would rate as a 2* and the Dacil more like a 3* I would ask if they have any 4* places available to compensate for the error? Worth a try!

grimbo
14-06-2012, 12:11
After reading comments on other forums and reading all the reviews, i phoned my travel agent and they have swapped the holiday but charged my card with 1p. Im very happy now, and really looking forward to the my holiday again. I have choosen the Sol Princesa Dacil. This is the one I was originally going to choose until the travel agent persuaded me to go in the 4 star sol tenerife.

Thanks everyone for your input.

AL JAY
14-06-2012, 15:37
Welcome to the forum grimbo, You should swerve the High st travel agents and do it yourself online! Take a look at the link below!

http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/holidays/spain/holidays_in_tenerife.html

grimbo
14-06-2012, 23:05
Welcome to the forum grimbo, You should swerve the High st travel agents and do it yourself online! Take a look at the link below!

http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/holidays/spain/holidays_in_tenerife.html

Thanks for this, I think that I will book like this next year. I normally just book through travel agents so I can pay with instalments but I might just do it this way and save myself some money.

barryk
16-06-2012, 14:29
Book direct with Solmelia.com for these hotels, pay when you get there.

Barryk