PDA

View Full Version : Is there a problem with mosquitos in Tenerife, this year?

cjd01
14-06-2011, 10:36
Two years ago hubby got bitten when we went to Los Gigantes at this time of year - last year we took your kind people's advice and took vitamin B before we came out - are there any mossies this year? Do we need to start taking them again?

TenerifeTeddy
14-06-2011, 10:43
We get the odd mozzie, now and again, but nothing really to worry about. But I guess it may depend where abouts on the island you are staying.

Andy0210
14-06-2011, 11:01
There are always mossies, you will have more success with the vitamin trick if you take vitamin B1. Thats the specific one you need its available from places like Holland and Barratt etc. :)

cjd01
14-06-2011, 11:05
There are always mossies, you will have more success with the vitamin trick if you take vitamin B1. Thats the specific one you need its available from places like Holland and Barratt etc. :)

Thanks Andy - will check when I go home! They seem to prefer the old man to me :pray:

Andy0210
14-06-2011, 11:07
Thanks Andy - will check when I go home! They seem to prefer the old man to me :pray:

No problem, it was actually a G.P that told me about the vitamin B1 and he specified it should be that one not just B.

tracey
14-06-2011, 11:12
you shouldnt be bothered by the´mosquitoes cjd because they all live in my bedroom!! :mad:

cjd01
14-06-2011, 11:14
you shouldnt be bothered by the´mosquitoes cjd because they all live in my bedroom!! :mad:

Oh dear - that sounds awful - which part of the island do you live on Tracey?

Sundowner
14-06-2011, 12:04
Two years ago hubby got bitten when we went to Los Gigantes at this time of year - last year we took your kind people's advice and took vitamin B before we came out - are there any mossies this year? Do we need to start taking them again?

If you want to keep Mosquitoes away use Deet.........it works............there is no scientific evidence that B vitamins work, but there is evidence that they don't work. You can google it and make up your own mind, but here is a link which I think explains it well. http://www.lisashea.com/birding/mosquito/thiamine.html

cjd01
14-06-2011, 12:14
If you want to keep Mosquitoes away use Deet.........it works............there is no scientific evidence that B vitamins work, but there is evidence that they don't work. You can google it and make up your own mind, but here is a link which I think explains it well. http://www.lisashea.com/birding/mosquito/thiamine.html

Thanks everyone - thats why I love the Forum!

karinagal
14-06-2011, 13:23
I have an apartment on Amarilla Golf, and because we are so close to the golf course we get lots of hungry mozzies. I take vitamin b1 - can't say it's stopped me being bitten, but it does mean that I no longer get the nasty reactions to the bites. Another tip I was given was to use Avon Skin so Soft dry oil on my skin as this contains citronella which apparently they are repelled by - I've bought it but keep forgetting to use it!! :doh:

Suej
14-06-2011, 14:15

We can´t understand why we´re so careful in the evenings not to leave lights on with windows open, when others have patio doors wide open all lights blazing....and we´re the ones who get the mozzies whizzing past our ear holes every few minutes!!!
Yes we do have the plugs in´s everywhere! ARGHHH!!!

slodgedad
14-06-2011, 14:19
We've had a few in Las Chafiras this year. Normally we don't get them until mid to late summer but they were here in May.

The plug ins work great though.

Strange thing is we never see them outside..???

curlytop
14-06-2011, 14:22
Mercadona do a cheap and fairly pleasant smelling repellant for a couple of euro's (comes in a bright orange bottle). Also, go and buy an electric tennis racket from one of the chinese shops and zap them with it. Satisfaction as they fry and exercise all in one!

Suej
14-06-2011, 14:24
Mercadona do a cheap and fairly pleasant smelling repellant for a couple of euro's (comes in a bright orange bottle). Also, go and buy an electric tennis racket from one of the chinese shops and zap them with it. Satisfaction as they fry and exercise all in one!

I know the one! Shame I can´t use the spray mozzie killer as it´s not good for animals...and the cat hates it too!

slodgedad
14-06-2011, 14:31
I know the one! Shame I can´t use the spray mozzie killer as it´s not good for animals...and the cat hates it too!

The plug ins work just as well, plus they are pet friendly.

Suej
14-06-2011, 14:34
The plug ins work just as well, plus they are pet friendly.

Got them everywhere slodge! luckilly we don´t get bitten too much but I´d rather that than the ZZZZzzzz-ing round my ears just as I´m about to drop off to sleep!

Pooh
14-06-2011, 14:40
I grew up in a country where there were billions of mosquitoes every summer, so they don't bother me much...
However, does anyone know if there has been any cases of mosquito transmitted diseases here on the islands?

Suej
14-06-2011, 14:45
I grew up in a country where there were billions of mosquitoes every summer, so they don't bother me much...
However, does anyone know if there has been any cases of mosquito transmitted diseases here on the islands?

I´ve not heard of any cases Pooh, but some poor people are badly allergic and the bites become very inflamed and infected, they look terribly sore too.

Pooh
14-06-2011, 14:58
I´ve not heard of any cases Pooh, but some poor people are badly allergic and the bites become very inflamed and infected, they look terribly sore too.

Well, yes, I remember the first bites every year were quite bad when I was a kid... later one became more or less immune.
I suppose now I'm more sensitive than I was then, too.
But I don't remember anyone being allergic to them... that's terrible.

Suej
14-06-2011, 15:26
Well, yes, I remember the first bites every year were quite bad when I was a kid... later one became more or less immune.
I suppose now I'm more sensitive than I was then, too.
But I don't remember anyone being allergic to them... that's terrible.

My friend has injections before she comes over, if she got bitten in the past they would come up like brown water blisters the size of a thumbnail and very painful.

wahay
14-06-2011, 15:32
there an app for this ..... anti mosquito.....................This application turns your phone into a virtual mosquito repeller. The application produces high frequency that mosquitoes dislike. The sound is beyond what most humans can perceive. Feature three fequencies 14, 16 and 20 Khz. Try out which one works best in your area because there are over 3000 known mosquito species.

curlytop
14-06-2011, 15:53
there an app for this ..... anti mosquito.....................This application turns your phone into a virtual mosquito repeller. The application produces high frequency that mosquitoes dislike. The sound is beyond what most humans can perceive. Feature three fequencies 14, 16 and 20 Khz. Try out which one works best in your area because there are over 3000 known mosquito species.

Lol, there is an "app" for virtually anything. The anti-mozzie one I tried didn't work! I could hear a high pitched beeping sound which prevented sleep and when it did eventually happen I woke up with bites on my face looking like I'd done a few rounds with a pro boxer! I think it was a case of mozzie revenge.

Suej
14-06-2011, 15:55
Lol, there is an "app" for virtually anything. The anti-mozzie one I tried didn't work! I could hear a high pitched beeping sound which prevented sleep and when it did eventually happen I woke up with bites on my face looking like I'd done a few rounds with a pro boxer! I think it was a case of mozzie revenge.

There is NO scientific proof that these work at all......waste of money if you mean the plug in types, don´t know about the phone app.:eek:

Bazz
14-06-2011, 15:57
Funny they don't seem to bother me in Tenerife. But in Majorca I've been eaten alive by them! :whip:

wahay
14-06-2011, 16:01
im trying the phone app out tonite lol but then again a few bows could also keeps them away it works on my hubby lol

williethetim
14-06-2011, 16:05
The mossies are pansies compared to the Scottish Midge...

Suej
14-06-2011, 16:06

And Horseflies...........:nurse2:

Chris P. Bacon
14-06-2011, 16:10

Believe me, you would'nt want to have malaria though Willy :eyebrows:

howard thornton
14-06-2011, 16:15
im trying the phone app out tonite lol but then again a few bows could also keeps them away it works on my hubby lol

mmm i think i would prefer the bows method, doe's darada have the same effect?

williethetim
14-06-2011, 16:18
Believe me, you would'nt want to have malaria though Willy :eyebrows:

Ive had the pleasure of a bite from the jumping spider in Tenerife...wouldnt wish that on anyone..

Suej
14-06-2011, 16:28
Ive had the pleasure of a bite from the jumping spider in Tenerife...wouldnt wish that on anyone..

Me too...bloody hurt for weeks!

curlytop
14-06-2011, 17:27

Yeah, but these are easier to avoid with their bright kilts and bagpipes.

Susief
14-06-2011, 18:10
We have a pull down screen on our bedroom window and patio doors, they are brill cause we can leave window and door open without them coming in. Have net with the Velcro round the frame for our lounge windows! Very rarely get mossies in.

Hubby used to get bitten and they went blistery but takes Piriton or similar for a week before we come out and whilst we are there! Do help.

warbey
14-06-2011, 19:04
Gin and Tonic used to help they say,
A substance iin the Tonic they dont like either.
Wifie reckons Vodka and Tonic works even better
as long as its Smirnoff Blue.....ha..ha

hedgehog
14-06-2011, 19:11
Yeah, they are really mean...and they can't half jump (guess that's where the name comes from...doh!)

Suej
14-06-2011, 19:43

It´s the quinine in the tonic not the Vodka! LOL! Shame!!!

tracey
14-06-2011, 20:05

lol sounds like a good enough excuse to me!!

Added after 3 minutes:

Oh dear - that sounds awful - which part of the island do you live on Tracey?

We are in Granadilla. Water deposits and animals, bad mix. Its not just the mossies, its the cats and dogs and chickens and lizards, all getting in (even a few tortoises)!! Mad house

Krizzy
14-06-2011, 21:46
I am vegan, I take Vit B12 - we realised a long time ago that mosquitos do not like me (hooray)
They used to love my husband until he began to take B12 as well. He takes them a couple of weeks in advance of the holiday so they are in his blood. We have found them useful - can't be a coincidence.

Jackie
14-06-2011, 22:14

That sounds a good enough for me:lol:

It´s the quinine in the tonic not the Vodka! LOL! Shame!!!

Thanks Sue:fryingpan:

with cheese
14-06-2011, 22:19
I am vegan, I take Vit B12 - we realised a long time ago that mosquitos do not like me (hooray)
They used to love my husband until he began to take B12 as well. He takes them a couple of weeks in advance of the holiday so they are in his blood. We have found them useful - can't be a coincidence.
Cobalamin...........in what form do you take it, if tablet ensure the Stearic acid used as an excipiant when making, is of veggie source.

kieraj
15-06-2011, 00:11
if you do get a bite put vinegar on on this takes away the reaction pretty quickly has worked for me every time if there is no vinegar try lemon.

used2bTurner
15-06-2011, 00:42
we always use those electric plug ones you can get in hyper trebol in los cristianos. They work great

samnickgodber
15-06-2011, 08:11
Eat Garlic,,,, i love garlic (people around me don´t lol) and i very rarely get bitten, if i do, i just make sure i have some garlic and hey presto no more bites x

wahay
15-06-2011, 11:58
mmm i think i would prefer the bows method, doe's darada have the same effect?
haha i would say so lol.................................

Krizzy
17-06-2011, 23:24
:doh:
So sorry for giving the wrong information last week, I am blonde but no excuses here !!
I am vegan, I do have Vit B12 injections and also take B Compound.
My husband is a meat eater.
I said my husband takes Vit B12 but he doesn't !
He takes Vitamin B Compound before a holiday, the mossies do not touch him since he began taking them.

princessmonika
24-06-2011, 16:27
have not jet had any in my place -- but hopefully this summer there are not too many -- keeping the mossidoors closed --

She Sells Seashells
24-06-2011, 16:57
We've got loads - all the ones not staying at tracey's are in our house. We use the plugins but are still getting bitten quite a bit.

I assume that vitamin B is one of the few things you cannot buy at a ferretería (or am I wrong?), so were do you buy it? I'll give it a try.

princessmonika
24-06-2011, 17:04
i do not know i bring it from ireland enough for a few month

tracey
24-06-2011, 17:28
Since I started using the ceiling fan, I have not been bothered by them ????
Maybe they dont like the breeze

princessmonika
24-06-2011, 17:29
thats a good idea they do not like the cool wind

tracey
24-06-2011, 17:34
Plus the geckos have moved in so they will be helping keep the numbers down

Susief
24-06-2011, 17:46
We've got loads - all the ones not staying at tracey's are in our house. We use the plugins but are still getting bitten quite a bit.

I assume that vitamin B is one of the few things you cannot buy at a ferretería (or am I wrong?), so were do you buy it? I'll give it a try.

Try putting marmite on your toast, they hate that. It has Vit B complex/yeast.

Sal
24-06-2011, 17:46
I have had terrible bites this year, but previously I would only have an odd one or two in Tenerife. This year my feet, legs and even one bite on my shoulder are as bad as when I have been to Crete or Rhodes. I went to a Farmacia where a lady in front of me was smothered in bites on her legs. Why so different this year? ???

Chris P. Bacon
24-06-2011, 17:49
Since I started using the ceiling fan, I have not been bothered by them ????
Maybe they dont like the breeze

We always had the ceiling fans on full blast in Africa, they clearly can't fly against the breeze lol

Not seen one mozzie this year in Tenerife :crazy:

Sal
24-06-2011, 18:37
We always had the ceiling fans on full blast in Africa, they clearly can't fly against the breeze lol

Would have been good if the ceiling-fans had been working in the apartment we rented. :mad:

They were all too busy munching on me Chris P! :hungry:

Chris P. Bacon
24-06-2011, 18:55
Would have been good if the ceiling-fans had been working in the apartment we rented. :mad:

They were all too busy munching on me Chris P! :hungry:

bar stewards :mad:

howard thornton
24-06-2011, 19:01
Try putting marmite on your toast, they hate that. It has Vit B complex/yeast.

mmm, i think i prefer the mossies.good evening susie.

Susief
24-06-2011, 19:03
mmm, i think i prefer the mossies.good evening susie.

Can't beat a slice of toast with marmite!

Evening HT

howard thornton
24-06-2011, 19:03

very interesting, a bit like peeing against the breeze.evening mucka.

Can't beat a slice of toast with marmite!

Evening HT

does it not work with peanut butter?

BrianT
24-06-2011, 21:48
When I am in Tenerife I have never been bitten by mosquitos but when in the South of France or Mexico I am eaten alive. Must be a different type in Tenerife.

astara
24-06-2011, 22:44

Thats cos they are all in my bedroom in chayofa - drinving me nuts this year.. I wake up in the dead of night with a zzzzzzzzzzzzzz in my ear & then the little buggers hide when i,m trying to zap them ....

Chris P. Bacon
25-06-2011, 08:47
Thats cos they are all in my bedroom in chayofa - drinving me nuts this year.. I wake up in the dead of night with a zzzzzzzzzzzzzz in my ear & then the little buggers hide when i,m trying to zap them ....

Try spraying the room half an hour before you go to bed, then switch off the light and close the door....

Susief
25-06-2011, 11:46

Invest in some mossy blinds in bedroom. Or even get some net and velcro from Ebay stops the blighters coming in!

Suej
25-06-2011, 12:27

Not found it too bad...YET! I would rather they take my blood silently and put up with the itching than the Zzzzzzz in my ears every five minutes, I was told they buzz around your ears because of the heat we emit from them???

astara
26-06-2011, 00:43
Not found it too bad...YET! I would rather they take my blood silently and put up with the itching than the Zzzzzzz in my ears every five minutes, I was told they buzz around your ears because of the heat we emit from them???

so how do we stop omitting heat - i,d like to know that one - especially in this weather !! agggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

MummyJ
26-06-2011, 01:47
i was bitten loads easter time and once this month and vinegar in a saucer keeps them at bay ive found

slewi
04-07-2011, 17:52
Never bothered us in tenerife before. But this year we were on their menu. Don't know if its the new Siam Park which opened up next to us. I hope they're start spraying there next year. Don't like looking like a dart board:devil:

Suej
04-07-2011, 20:20
There is a spray by Raid called Yard guard don´t know whether it´s available here but it is made for outside use. I would think it´s probably quite expensive too.