PDA

View Full Version : Finance Has Tenerife turned into a sad place to live?

Tom & Sharon
18-06-2012, 12:20
As per the title - Has it turned into a sad place to live?

I was talking to a waitress yesterday who also does apartment cleaning, telling me what a struggle it is to get enough work to pay the rent.

People on here who are returning to the UK due to no work who can't afford to take their own dogs with them.

Dog rescue centres full of abandoned dogs are bulging at the seams.

The FB page "Tenerife Flogg it" is full of people selling absolute garbage, old clothes for 2/3/4€.

It all seems a bit desperate to me! Has Tenerife turned into a nightmare for people? Trapped here penniless, and selling old clothes just to survive and pay this month's rent?

Malteser Monkey
18-06-2012, 12:28
Blimey Carrie Bradshaw !

So is this Tom or Sharon ?

When I first moved out in 1991 we had to take to the streets OPC'ing as there wasn't anything available in Silencio. Then I got a job working in a bar 6 nights a week ridiculously long hours earning just enough to pay the rent and be able to afford shampoo etc and food.

We lived off the real basics - In the fridge would be a 90 psts carton of wine alongwith that UHT crap milk. Liptons tea bags as we couldn't afford British tea and bimbo bread.

So have things really changed !

Things went well after that but you do go through some hard times

carpenter
18-06-2012, 12:34
Did you see on the news this week in Barcelona and Madrid "we buy your gold" on every corner not just the low key shops but actual people soliciting.
At least Tenerife is Autonomous but it does carry the highest unemployment levels in Spain.
When Time Share does well everyone does well I think is the simple answer much as it pains me to say it.
I think the money has gone from Tenerife and it will be many years before it sees a return the fact that the government make it so difficult and expensive to do an honest days work and the increase of all inclusive holidays and clamping down on self catering stay's that bring money to the island.
I think in answer to your question Tenerife is becoming a retirement island and not one that will earn you a retirement. Maybe a bit different from being called a sad place.

Tom & Sharon
18-06-2012, 12:38
Blimey Carrie Bradshaw !

So is this Tom or Sharon ?

When I first moved out in 1991 we had to take to the streets OPC'ing as there wasn't anything available in Silencio. Then I got a job working in a bar 6 nights a week ridiculously long hours earning just enough to pay the rent and be able to afford shampoo etc and food.

We lived off the real basics - In the fridge would be a 90 psts carton of wine alongwith that UHT crap milk. Liptons tea bags as we couldn't afford British tea and bimbo bread.

So have things really changed !

Things went well after that but you do go through some hard times

Sharon "Carrie Bradshaw"!

Did you see on the news this week in Barcelona and Madrid "we buy your gold" on every corner not just the low key shops but actual people soliciting.
At least Tenerife is Autonomous but it does carry the highest unemployment levels in Spain.
When Time Share does well everyone does well I think is the simple answer much as it pains me to say it.
I think the money has gone from Tenerife and it will be many years before it sees a return the fact that the government make it so difficult and expensive to do an honest days work and the increase of all inclusive holidays and clamping down on self catering stay's that bring money to the island.
I think in answer to your question Tenerife is becoming a retirement island and not one that will earn you a retirement. Maybe a bit different from being called a sad place.

I think you're right with that! In the meantime though, there are people here who are not retired, and for them my question is "has it become a sad place?"

YOUNG GOLFER
18-06-2012, 12:44
Think Tenerife will always be a sad place for some people.....but more so when we are going through times like this work is hard to find.

That flogg it site is funny though you get to see what other people are selling and some of the items could just go to a charity shop.....but there are some good bargains on there also....my wife bought some good stuff only the other day.
Think face-book are taking over the likes of newspapers/forums ect when it comes to selling stuff it's fast easy and free and as we know loads of people like to use face-book.

As for going back without taking your dogs i agree but today we see a member who took in these dogs when no one else could help but now they too need some help finding new homes its a shame but at least they are trying their best.

carpenter
18-06-2012, 12:58
Sad? I think everyone has their own definition of that word. Unfortunate, unhappy, not cool.

If you mean unhappy then as YG said it will always be sad for some, i think it depends on what you are trying to do here for me I would never say sad just frustrating.

Malteser Monkey
18-06-2012, 13:06
Thanks Sharon
didn't know if Tom would know who Carrie Bradshaw is !! :D

she always used to end everything with a question !

davship
18-06-2012, 13:51

Hi Carpenter
Please clarify what you mean by "clamping down on self catering" are the government trying to discourage it? I'd have thought that in some of the out of the way places it was the lifeblood of some of the food shops!
Cheers
Davship

chifleta
18-06-2012, 13:59
I don't know about it being a sad place to live, i'm really happy to be living here. I can imagine that it's very very difficult if your life isn't settled and you're out of work and not able to claim dole, have no emergency money to back you up, not sure what to do, stay, go back to your own country if you don't call Tenerife "home"!!!!!!!.....and also I agree, some people find it hard to be happy with what they have, even if they have got a decent job/home etc.... I used to be a bit like that, always finding something to complain about (I realised I took after my mother then LOL).... 3 years ago I decided to change that, my nauseatingly "think positive" mood LOL

I've been here a long time, and can see over the last 5-10 years there was such an influx of people moving over here, firstly there were the Africans on the cayucos, poor souls, the ones that got here safely, then all the South Americans, who got 120% mortgages and who are now out of work and handing back keys to their homes and cars to the banks and buggering off, don't blame them, blame the banks.... so of course, with the huge amounts of people that moved over here in such a short period of time, now there is a huge number of people either claiming dole, or registering as unemployed.

I'm probably one of the lucky ones, bought apartment 13 years ago, but because they undervalued it, I had to pay a big deposit, so after the first 5 years or really struggling with mortgage and two loans (luckily I had a full time job at that time) we are now sitting pretty with a small mortgage payment.... and although i'm out of work at the moment, we're managing to keep out heads above water, even with a son that's studying at college.... the purse strings are so tight that I can't even get my pinky finger in it.

The thing that makes me angry is the attitude of the people that are working e.g. if I go to a restaurant, I don't want to hear about your problems (I know a lovely lady, who shot herself in the foot, people who knew her stopped going to her cafeteria because she'd tell you all her woes, and we can only give so much sympathy before you get depressed yourself, so you stop going because you don't want to hear it when you have your own problems too). I'm of the opinion that I'm paying a price to have a nice meal with a nice atmosphere, not to become depressed myself. I know it probably sounds nasty to some people but i'm at that stage now where I think if you have a job, do it properly, not half hearted... I was taught to keep a smile on my face, be friendly and pleasant. Even the supermarkets the people look miserable, no "hola" no "gracias" no "buenas dias", it's incredible.... is it because they are sad, struggling, miserable?, or is it because they are not being trained in the art of customer service/care... who knows.... but sometimes I feel like saying "smile for gawds sake"... even when I knew I was losing my job 3 years ago, I still kept the smile on my face, was pleasant to the customers, when they said "como estas" i'd say "muy bien" and smile, even though I was totally miserable and stressed, I didn't let them see that ....

OH gets angry at the blokes in the bars with their "caña" bemoaning the fact that they are out of work and there are no jobs, no money... but you're stood in a bar with your caña! ....if you were that desperate you'd be pounding the streets looking for a job....

Re: Flogg It ....... I think it's a great idea .... i've always donated things from my apartment that I don't use any more, and over the last 3 years i've given a LOT LOT LOT of clothes to charity, so the last few bits I have left I reckon i'm entitled to get a wee bit of cash in my pocket so that when the sales are on, I can buy a couple of items of clothing that I need (not want, but need) :D

Oh, before anyone asks why I haven't found a job yet, easy... i've taken the opportunity to do something positive with my life for the time being.... I won't bore you even more, as i'm very very very nauseatingly positive/enthusiastic with that particular subject :v2::v3::heyhey::rofl:

carpenter
18-06-2012, 14:20
Hi Carpenter
Please clarify what you mean by "clamping down on self catering" are the government trying to discourage it? I'd have thought that in some of the out of the way places it was the lifeblood of some of the food shops!
Cheers
Davship

Simply I was talking about the illegal lettings, many second home owners let their property out to holiday makers that then spent their money within the local community many of these owners now have to sell their apartments because they are no longer allowed to short term let there's a whole thread about it.

Sundowner
18-06-2012, 14:24
Maybe sad for some, but not for others! I think it depends on your circumstances. A lot of places in the World that depend on tourism are suffering now, it's not just Tenerife........http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18332793

My guess is that it will be a long time before things pick up again! And by then the face of tourism in Tenerife will have changed perhaps forever.

Muppet
18-06-2012, 15:16
Simply I was talking about the illegal lettings, many second home owners let their property out to holiday makers that then spent their money within the local community many of these owners now have to sell their apartments because they are no longer allowed to short term let there's a whole thread about it.

Correction (if you are referring to places on residential complexes), not no longer, but for the past 16 years have not been allowed....

mike in chayofa
18-06-2012, 15:32
...... The thing that makes me angry is the attitude of the people that are working e.g. if I go to a restaurant, I don't want to hear about your problems (I know a lovely lady, who shot herself in the foot, people who knew her stopped going to her cafeteria because she'd tell you all her woes, and we can only give so much sympathy before you get depressed yourself, so you stop going because you don't want to hear it when you have your own problems too).

I have my own 'take' on this. I can immediately identify a couple and a young lady, that have really bad reputations for being miserable.

I don't know if it is the general answer, but before I walk into the shops, I become an actor and bounce in to the shop full of the joys of spring (no matter how crap I feel)and say something that I hope they will find amusing

Noy had a problem since and they are always happy and helpful - at least whilst I'm there

TOTO 99
18-06-2012, 15:34
I have my own 'take' on this. I can immediately identify a couple and a young lady, that have really bad reputations for being miserable.

I don't know if it is the general answer, but before I walk into the shops, I become an actor and bounce in to the shop full of the joys of spring (no matter how crap I feel)and say something that I hope they will find amusing

Noy had a problem since and they are always happy and helpful - at least whilst I'm there

Yeah and I bet they're sticking 2 fingers up at you on your way out Mike..:laugh:

carpenter
18-06-2012, 15:54
Correction (if you are referring to places on residential complexes), not no longer, but for the past 16 years have not been allowed....

It's a blooming long thread so I do apologise for not bothering to read it, still it's Spanish bureaucracy killing the island.

BobMac
18-06-2012, 16:17
It's a blooming long thread so I do apologise for not bothering to read it, still it's Spanish bureaucracy killing the island.

That's only part of the problem, the price of flights is also crippling the tourist sector as well.

At the October half term holiday this year. for a party of 4 adults, it will cost over £1600 with Ryanair and over £1800 with easyjet and that's the cheap end of the market for flights

atlantico
18-06-2012, 17:09
on the positive side, 2 years ago the pensioners could just about get €1 for their £1 pension income, now its €1,20 (thats like a 20% pay increase) so things maybe starting to look up. Carry on like this and those pensioners will start to be happy ! I'm happy, and don't have a pension or a job in Tenerife !

carpdaught1
18-06-2012, 17:59
we are happy up in the mountains can be boring but then we get on a bus down to beach, on a moderate income our landlord and neibours very good to us give us fruit ,papas,veg i make them a cake in return they are all spanish work on the land a good people when i hear expats moaning about life here spanish being ignorant etc having no money cos they dont get social i tell them go back to bloody england then and leave the ones who are happy here to enjoy it !

Suej
18-06-2012, 18:05
It's not Tenerife that's sad it's some of the sad people that live here!:wink2:

marbro8
18-06-2012, 18:36
That's only part of the problem, the price of flights is also crippling the tourist sector as well.

At the October half term holiday this year. for a party of 4 adults, it will cost over £1600 with Ryanair and over £1800 with easyjet and that's the cheap end of the market for flightsi told my mate today sod the school's, take the kids out and pay the £50 fine it will be a lot cheaper than paying the extra for the hol:)

chifleta
18-06-2012, 18:42

LOL I don't quite bounce, but I always try to have a smile on my face and say hi :)

Jackie
18-06-2012, 18:46
i told my mate today sod the school's, take the kids out and pay the £50 fine it will be a lot cheaper than paying the extra for the hol:)

No one has to get a fine...if you are self employed you are allowed to take your kids out of School during term time for up to ten days for family holidays and the same goes for the employed...if you can only get your holiday from work at a specific time there is nothing the schools can do if you take your kids out of school providing you fill in the necessary school holiday request form stating that fact.

chifleta
18-06-2012, 18:49
we are happy up in the mountains can be boring but then we get on a bus down to beach, on a moderate income our landlord and neibours very good to us give us fruit ,papas,veg i make them a cake in return they are all spanish work on the land a good people when i hear expats moaning about life here spanish being ignorant etc having no money cos they dont get social i tell them go back to bloody england then and leave the ones who are happy here to enjoy it !

that made me laugh... so true... the other week after a heavy gym session, myself (British), a Canarian, an Italian, a German and an Argentinian (sounds like the start of a joke) were off for our normal "after-heavy-gym-session-cafe-con-leche-y-taza-de-tè" and the local school were having their Canarian day fiesta in the playground, with typical Canarian timplè music playing, so I started jigging down the street (like you do :jump2::049:), and they all started going on about "ohhhh what boring music blah blah blah" so I just told them to shut up, if you don't like it, pack your cases and go back to your own country hahahaha all tongue in cheek obviously :fpull:

Margaretta
18-06-2012, 19:12
Chifleta, brilliant positive postings but you forgot the Russians!!:spin:

You only have to be away for a while to know how much you miss Tenerife.
We, the great retired, silvery wrinklies, should be lovingly fostered. We do pay our taxes and all utility bills, buy fuel, rent cars, shop lots and drink plenty. We also observe and promote the island by bringing over all our friends and family and only moan about doggy mess and people who don't signal at roundabouts. So please be very charming and entertaining to we, the elderly, and Chifleta, we'd love you to dance for us but don't tell us to go home!:)

mike in chayofa
18-06-2012, 19:13
on the positive side, 2 years ago the pensioners could just about get €1 for their £1 pension income, now its €1,20 (thats like a 20% pay increase) so things maybe starting to look up. Carry on like this and those pensioners will start to be happy ! I'm happy, and don't have a pension or a job in Tenerife !

Although what you state is fact, it is only a short term truth.

Once upon a time the exchange rate was 1.50€ and interest rates were 5/6%, so people that have been here a fair while have suffered a double 'whammy'

BobMac
18-06-2012, 19:22
i told my mate today sod the school's, take the kids out and pay the £50 fine it will be a lot cheaper than paying the extra for the hol:)

Unfortunately, we can't take advantage of that - our wives work in schools and they can't take holidays other than the school holidays so we are shafted !!

chifleta
18-06-2012, 19:30
Chifleta, brilliant positive postings but you forgot the Russians!!:spin:

You only have to be away for a while to know how much you miss Tenerife.
We, the great retired, silvery wrinklies, should be lovingly fostered. We do pay our taxes and all utility bills, buy fuel, rent cars, shop lots and drink plenty. We also observe and promote the island by bringing over all our friends and family and only moan about doggy mess and people who don't signal at roundabouts. So please be very charming and entertaining to we, the elderly, and Chifleta, we'd love you to dance for us but don't tell us to go home!:)

LOL thanks Margaretta :D, and you're right, there was an influx of Russians at one point too... but none in my gym lessions for the time being.... we love it though, we're multi-national :)

I always like a laugh, my dear old nan said to me last year, why do you laugh so much, I said why not, better than crying :) ... oh, I complain about the doggy mess , and people that for some reason like to walk down the middle of the street instead of on the paths, wierd.... (talking about poo, the poo lorry has just turned up, i've had to run and close the windows phewwwweeeeee)

Actually, it looked like I was doing a Scottish sword dance more than a Canarian dance, but hey ho.... I used to be very shy and introvert..... eeeeek, what happened!

i'm rambling..... chow for now :wave:

tracy hampshire
18-06-2012, 20:03
where i live in icod, no one you speak to has a job, myself included, but no one seems sad , infact i´ve never met such nice happy people, there seems to be fiestas daily in the surrounding villages, the town is full every morning, with people shopping or having a natter, my next door neighbours who i have never met ( a canarian family who moved in a couple or days ago ) knocked on our door, invited us for a beer & gave us a big bag of veg, so i think it all depends on who you speak too, after all some folk are natural moaners, & wouldn´t be happy with a lottery win, and others just get on with things & are happy whatever life throws at them, when you look at how some poor souls live in this world, and with a smile on there faces, what have we in tenerife got to moan about :):):)

carpdaught1
19-06-2012, 00:16
sorry i forgot the russians but some live near our village they come to our local el chamo never heard them moan so cannot comment on their frame of mind lol

carpenter
19-06-2012, 00:26
where i live in icod, no one you speak to has a job, myself included, but no one seems sad , infact i´ve never met such nice happy people, there seems to be fiestas daily in the surrounding villages, the town is full every morning, with people shopping or having a natter, my next door neighbours who i have never met ( a canarian family who moved in a couple or days ago ) knocked on our door, invited us for a beer & gave us a big bag of veg, so i think it all depends on who you speak too, after all some folk are natural moaners, & wouldn´t be happy with a lottery win, and others just get on with things & are happy whatever life throws at them, when you look at how some poor souls live in this world, and with a smile on there faces, what have we in tenerife got to moan about :):):)

Hi Tracy, I don't know you from Adam so I apologise in advance but may I ask if you are retired or does your other half have an income? How does your rent get paid or are you living mortgage free?

Money may not bring happiness but Tenerife is a westernized island and you cannot compare it to those in the 3rd world that are less fortunate. They have no rent, tax, fuel bills, worries of flying home for weddings and funerals. Money is a necessity in this life when you live here.

slodgedad
19-06-2012, 00:39
In response to the original question I don't think it's changed very much, especially if you integrate.

If you live in one of the ghettoes then it probably has changed as you are surrounded by moaning ex pats.

If this Forum had existed 20 years ago the same moans would have been made.

We're Brits after all.

seanocelt
19-06-2012, 04:09
On my night off tonight, in 4 bars i met- (local workers) - 11 people , 3 Scots, 3 Irish ,4 English and an African. All moaned a bit, 1 Scot less than the rest, the African the least of all. Still, it was just one night maybe all will be different manana.

willowlily
19-06-2012, 06:34
perhaps some of us brits have always moaned, normally its about the weather which we cannot blame in tenerife so maybe we can always find something else to moan about.
our nickname " whinging poms " sums us up according to the aussies.
i don't believe most of us whinge but the few that do make up for the rest of us, and then some.

Ed3229
19-06-2012, 07:02
Maybe Tenerife has become a sad place to live........So has a lot of the world.
I just wish people would take some of the advice given on here and stay home until things get better.(living not holidays)
Maybe then less people would be unhappy about Tenerife....:D

Ed3229
19-06-2012, 07:02
Maybe Tenerife has become a sad place to live........So has a lot of the world.
I just wish people would take some of the advice given on here and stay home until things get better.(living not holidays)
Maybe then less people would be unhappy about Tenerife....:D

TOTO 99
19-06-2012, 07:28
You have to laugh at this thread..

We're all whinging about whingers..

tracy hampshire
19-06-2012, 09:36
Hi Tracy, I don't know you from Adam so I apologise in advance but may I ask if you are retired or does your other half have an income? How does your rent get paid or are you living mortgage free?

Money may not bring happiness but Tenerife is a westernized island and you cannot compare it to those in the 3rd world that are less fortunate. They have no rent, tax, fuel bills, worries of flying home for weddings and funerals. Money is a necessity in this life when you live here. no not working at the moment & not retired, worked here for 2 years , so at the moment claiming paro, oh does a bit of this & that & we get by, we have just moved to a cheaper area, cutting our cloth so to speak, i have money set aside in the uk for emergencies, my point is in times like this you have to change & get on with things, it is more dificult here than the uk, no state handouts to fall back on, but there are people who are struggling just as much if not more in the uk.

curlytop
19-06-2012, 10:37
no not working at the moment & not retired, worked here for 2 years , so at the moment claiming paro, oh does a bit of this & that & we get by, we have just moved to a cheaper area, cutting our cloth so to speak, i have money set aside in the uk for emergencies, my point is in times like this you have to change & get on with things, it is more dificult here than the uk, no state handouts to fall back on, but there are people who are struggling just as much if not more in the uk.

I agree! I was back in the UK for a while whilst my Mum was being treated for skin cancer and there were no state handouts over there either. I paid into that ridiculous system for years. I'm single, I've worked all my adult life, I've never had children so not even had any maternity benefits etc. I was told that because I have savings of over 16K I'm not entitled to anything. My response was "do I have a bank account that I don't know about and you do, because I don't have 16K in savings"? Oh nooooo, it's because I thought I was being sensible when I bought a couple of properties which are mortgaged and rented out (hardly a tycoon)! By the time the mortgages are paid, the estate agent fees are paid and any maintenance etc is done what's left wouldn't feed a dog, but apparently bricks and mortar are classed as savings! So, if I go back to the UK and climb on one of my roof tops to get a tile I wonder if any supermarkets will accept it as payment for a loaf of bread to feed myself!
Some brits over here are struggling - I've sold my apartment because it was costing so much and I'm now renting for less than half of what I was paying out. If the recession affects my work (fingers crossed it won't) at least I'm now free to leave at any time to find work elsewhere. So, if people want to sell 2nd hand goods to get a few more euro's then good for them. One man's junk is another man's treasure as they say!

carpenter
19-06-2012, 11:16
I came to this island as a marine carpenter/ boat builder and although this does pay well I can count the jobs I've had in three years on one hand. General carpentry, kitchen and bathroom fitting and handyman being the main bulk of my work outside of this field.

I do agree one mans junk is another mans treasure look at ebay.

My wife is a star she is 8 months pregnant and is out there now working and I'm so proud of her. But at the same time this makes me feel like crap! It should be me out there working and her sat here on this computer talking on her pregnancy forums, looking for nursery designs and above all relaxing. But my phone hasn't rung for quite a while now and nor has most other people in my profession.

It is when I think of this that I really do hate this place and although jobs aren't plentiful in the UK I can't help feel that we would be better off there. No language barrier, no Guardia Civil giving you made up fines, no endless amount of paperwork, no social payments.
Now my Spanish is pretty good for the time that I have lived here but I am not fluent but my wife is.

All I want to do is look after my wife and child and keep a roof over our head and put food on the table but a few home grown vegetables and a smile from your neighbor isn't anywhere near close enough to what I would call minimum requirement.

Before I said this place is frustrating not sad and I stand by that, this island is a paradise island but it has had it's day and it's been bled dry. Biggest question now is what to do now and whether or not to stay or go?

Balcony
19-06-2012, 11:58
I'm not a resident, but visit a lot. I can't say I notice great sadness. Sure, you can see signs that things are tight and you can clearly see businesses that are suffering (that is not just bars etc). It's the same everywhere. It's not just Tenerife! Some relatives have just come back from Fort William in Scotland and they said that a huge number of shops there had closed, that the place was dead and it's expected several more pubs will close before the year is out.

Tenerife residents I know seem happy enough, but just as at home you don't delve too deeply into their private lives. One exception is someone who has to return to the UK because of acute illness and the additional care he'll need, which would only be available to him privateyl in Tenerife. Most of our favourite spots for a drink, or dinner seem to be well patronised most of the time and we are always greeted with a good welcome, which makes a huge difference. I don't know what it's like away from the coast.

I'm out again in a few weeks, so it will be interesting to spot any changes. In the meantime, I've been in ringing tradespeople with about a third of numbers are now dead and also trying to contact agents both to buy and sell a place with very mixed results. I have to go with the enthusiastic and those that are showing up well on forums!

carpenter
19-06-2012, 13:40
no not working at the moment & not retired, worked here for 2 years , so at the moment claiming paro, oh does a bit of this & that & we get by, we have just moved to a cheaper area, cutting our cloth so to speak, i have money set aside in the uk for emergencies, my point is in times like this you have to change & get on with things, it is more dificult here than the uk, no state handouts to fall back on, but there are people who are struggling just as much if not more in the uk.

I'm not saying you don't deserve it far from it but you are on paro, you don't have to worry about the rent being paid or the food being on the table as the state are giving you that hand out that you say you don't get here admittedly it doesn't last for ever .

Forgive me I can honestly say that i am not trying to be rude or disrespect you but I don't think you know just yet how hard it is for those wanting to work and not being able to and not having the money. I'd love to live in an ignorant bubble but reality won't let me.

My dog is currently undergoing life threatening surgery and all I could say to the vet was do it and all I can think is how the hell am I going to pay.

I must stress I'm not being funny with you, what I feel I sometimes cannot write

chifleta
19-06-2012, 14:25
I'm not saying you don't deserve it far from it but you are on paro, you don't have to worry about the rent being paid or the food being on the table as the state are giving you that hand out that you say you don't get here admittedly it doesn't last for ever .

Forgive me I can honestly say that i am not trying to be rude or disrespect you but I don't think you know just yet how hard it is for those wanting to work and not being able to and not having the money. I'd love to live in an ignorant bubble but reality won't let me.

My dog is currently undergoing life threatening surgery and all I could say to the vet was do it and all I can think is how the hell am I going to pay.

I must stress I'm not being funny with you, what I feel I sometimes cannot write

i'd be very surprised if she is getting a huge dole handout, and like she said, she's moved away from the expensive areas up into the hills, and give her her due, she's one of the intelligent ones, at least she has savings put to one side for emergencies, there aren't many Brits over here that do that. I have a Brazilian friend, I really don't know how she survived, but with help from her friends, even if it was just inviting her round for a meal, she got through a few months getting NO MONEY whatsovever (and she was another clever girl, who have emergency money, though obviously none left now, but I can guarantee she will be putting what little she can away for that next "rainy" day), and they nearly didn't renew her residencia, a right nightmare, but she's back in work again for the time being, albeit only temping....

I've tightened purse strings every which way so that I can at least keep my internet, though if things got that bad, ADSL would definately go .... also, a lot of us that have been here many years in employment and had never claimed dole monies in their lives learnt the lesson hard regarding work contracts, I worked for 15ish years on a part time contract for the 3 companies i've worked for, and didn't think anything of it really, obviously not realising how buggered I'd be once I had to claim dole money.... needless to say, what I was getting on the dole was laughable..........I think you get 4 months dole money per 12 months you've worked, based on a percentage of your final months "nomina" (wage slip).

I doubt that tracy will think you're being funny with her.... I'm sat here imaging you grinding your teeth and chuntering ..... I chunter :) .... I can feel your frustration in your typing .... we each have our own opinions, that's why I like having a look on the forum ... and the great thing is we don't have to agree with one or the other.... oh, by the way, your wife is a WOMAN(obviously :D), we're strong, but don't let feeling guilty get you down, just be a fantastic house husband - i'm being a fantastic house wifey at the moment, and I know I shouldn't say this nowadays with sexual equality et al, but i'm loving it, i've got a great routine: get up, put washing on, brekkie (oats and banana), heavy 1 to 2 hour gym session, cuppa tea with the girls from gym, home, housework, hang washing out, make lunch for OH or son or just me... chill, make tea, chill oh chill, go fishing when OH is off (free/cheap food), more fishing, oh, and chill :) .... I don't let OH do hardly anything round the apartment any more (unless i'm hormonal, then he bows and scrapes :bowdown: coz he knows me so well) ... when I start working fulltime again, well he can do his share, as can my son who's well housetrained too LOL .... I know it's always being said, but keep your chin up, and think positive, congrats on upcoming baby, and i've got fingers crossed your doggy will be ok :goodluck:

TOTO 99
19-06-2012, 15:00

I doubt this scenario is set to improve in the immediate future but rather than bite the bullet and all return to the Uk could you not consider pestering some of your old contacts and see if you could fly back and to?
It might just give you the breathing space you need financially and you don't have to give up on your dream. I know it's not an ideal time given that baby carpenter is almost on you but once he/she arrives it might be worth some consideration.
Hopefully just a short term fix.
When my eldest was born 18 years agi I was working away in the midlands. I drove back, attended the birth, gave him his 1st bottle and then had to go back to work. I didn't see them for another 5 days but it had to be done. Ex wifey wasn't too chuffed but I had no option and I made sure she had help if required. I knew I was doing the right thing.
I hope it works out for you.

tracy hampshire
19-06-2012, 15:02

I must stress I'm not being funny with you, what I feel I sometimes cannot write no offence taken, but i do think you have got me wrong, yes i am claiming dole here in tenerife, i get €400 a month, my rent is €300, so i wouldn´t say i don´t have to worry, i am looking for work, & me & oh do what we can, when we can to bring in a bit extra, when i was working i was lucky to have a contract, which is quite rare here, i worked 50 hours a week for 600 euros, my oh was out of work so we lived on my wage, rent then was €360, when i got laid off, i couldn´t get any paro for a couple of months, & was near to being homeless, and i am sad to say if it wasn´t for the fact that my mother passed away at the same time i lost my job i probably would have been with out a roof over my head, so i by no means live in a bubble, i have been close to the edge myself, i do hope everything turns out well for you and your family, but please do not be so quick to judge people. best of luck for the future, i think think we all need a good dose of that x

carpenter
19-06-2012, 16:31
no offence taken, but i do think you have got me wrong, yes i am claiming dole here in tenerife, i get €400 a month, my rent is €300, so i wouldn´t say i don´t have to worry, i am looking for work, & me & oh do what we can, when we can to bring in a bit extra, when i was working i was lucky to have a contract, which is quite rare here, i worked 50 hours a week for 600 euros, my oh was out of work so we lived on my wage, rent then was €360, when i got laid off, i couldn´t get any paro for a couple of months, & was near to being homeless, and i am sad to say if it wasn´t for the fact that my mother passed away at the same time i lost my job i probably would have been with out a roof over my head, so i by no means live in a bubble, i have been close to the edge myself, i do hope everything turns out well for you and your family, but please do not be so quick to judge people. best of luck for the future, i think think we all need a good dose of that x

Forgive me if you thought I was judging you, never would do that intentionally. My sincere good fortunes to you as well

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I doubt this scenario is set to improve in the immediate future but rather than bite the bullet and all return to the Uk could you not consider pestering some of your old contacts and see if you could fly back and to?
It might just give you the breathing space you need financially and you don't have to give up on your dream. I know it's not an ideal time given that baby carpenter is almost on you but once he/she arrives it might be worth some consideration.
Hopefully just a short term fix.
When my eldest was born 18 years agi I was working away in the midlands. I drove back, attended the birth, gave him his 1st bottle and then had to go back to work. I didn't see them for another 5 days but it had to be done. Ex wifey wasn't too chuffed but I had no option and I made sure she had help if required. I knew I was doing the right thing.
I hope it works out for you.

I think returning short term would be a good move but unfortunately it is not an option. We have numerous pets and we would never leave them behind also my wife has some serious issues (not nice ones) with being in the UK so if we were to go it wouldn't be there so at the moment it's up the creek without a paddle.
Sad place? no frustrating!

golf birdie
19-06-2012, 16:39
everyplace is a sad place if you have no money or prospects. Take a walk around London in the early hours and see the 1000's sleeping on the streets. Without the food and soup handouts they would starve. A lot end up like this just because something went wrong at the wrong time in life.

Tom & Sharon
19-06-2012, 17:56
I think returning short term would be a good move but unfortunately it is not an option. We have numerous pets and we would never leave them behind also my wife has some serious issues (not nice ones) with being in the UK so if we were to go it wouldn't be there so at the moment it's up the creek without a paddle.
Sad place? no frustrating!

I think he means for you to fly back and to to the UK (or elsewhere?) to work, and your wife and baby stay here. Not an ideal scenario with a new baby, but the reality is that men have to go where the work is. There are many couples in the UK where the man works away 5 days a week, so really no difference.

carpenter
20-06-2012, 12:03
I think he means for you to fly back and to to the UK (or elsewhere?) to work, and your wife and baby stay here. Not an ideal scenario with a new baby, but the reality is that men have to go where the work is. There are many couples in the UK where the man works away 5 days a week, so really no difference.

I don't think that is an option, working away when your in the UK and staying in B&B's is one thing but earning enough each week to pay for 2 lodgings, 2 flights and still finding the time to be good a husband and father doesn't sound possible , I also couldn't leave my wife to look after the entire household in my absence It's just too much to ask.
I have worked away since being here the last time being just after Easter when I had some work on Mr Binter airways yacht in GC so it's not if I'm not willing to travel (or not allowed to).

Suej
20-06-2012, 13:50
I don't think that is an option, working away when your in the UK and staying in B&B's is one thing but earning enough each week to pay for 2 lodgings, 2 flights and still finding the time to be good a husband and father doesn't sound possible , I also couldn't leave my wife to look after the entire household in my absence It's just too much to ask.
I have worked away since being here the last time being just after Easter when I had some work on Mr Binter airways yacht in GC so it's not if I'm not willing to travel (or not allowed to).

Think I have to agree with you it sounds easier than it is! I have known someone to try but it made matters worse! I hope something comes your way soon!

tmfkahs
21-06-2012, 21:33
As per the title - Has it turned into a sad place to live?

I was talking to a waitress yesterday who also does apartment cleaning, telling me what a struggle it is to get enough work to pay the rent.

People on here who are returning to the UK due to no work who can't afford to take their own dogs with them.

Dog rescue centres full of abandoned dogs are bulging at the seams.

The FB page "Tenerife Flogg it" is full of people selling absolute garbage, old clothes for 2/3/4€.

It all seems a bit desperate to me! Has Tenerife turned into a nightmare for people? Trapped here penniless, and selling old clothes just to survive and pay this month's rent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgb1BdPBZo

Balcony
22-06-2012, 12:45
Carpenter - mail sent

KirstyJay
22-06-2012, 13:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgb1BdPBZoIs the human race a virus on the Earth?... now there's a topic for another thread!!! :eek: