PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Estate Agents: how does the commission work?

Balcony
19-06-2012, 13:14
Has anyone sold a property where they used multiple estate agents? What experience did you have with commission billed?

I just wondered in the scenario that I will place my property with, for simplicity, two agents. It could well be they both show the same prospect the property and that that prospect buys. Now, if I were resident I would easily prevent this from happening, but if I am an absentee seller and unlikely to be informed of each and every viewing what happens once the prospect buys - who would bill me for commission - the one who actually completes forms etc, or both?

Suej
19-06-2012, 14:03
Has anyone sold a property where they used multiple estate agents? What experience did you have with commission billed?

I just wondered in the scenario that I will place my property with, for simplicity, two agents. It could well be they both show the same prospect the property and that that prospect buys. Now, if I were resident I would easily prevent this from happening, but if I am an absentee seller and unlikely to be informed of each and every viewing what happens once the prospect buys - who would bill me for commission - the one who actually completes forms etc, or both?

Hmmm! I've wondered this at times! When we bought our house we were introduced to the property owner by their neighbour, we liked the property but decided to still look at others on the same complex which were available through Agents, they all showed us the property that we had already looked at through the owner! we did the deal with the owner as that was our first introduction, but I wondered what might have happened otherwise with at least 3 Agents selling the same property! What was more confusing was the Agents all had the property on at different prices! Split Commission???

Malteser Monkey
19-06-2012, 14:07
What used to happen was that you were charged a low % rate for sole agent - and a higher % for multi.

Whoever sells and completes first should charge you.

I worked in an Estate agents for a short while some time back now

Suej
19-06-2012, 14:15
That's the first sensible post you've made in ages! I'm a bit worried about you hon! :console:

Malteser Monkey
19-06-2012, 14:17
That's the first sensible post you've made in ages! I'm a bit worried about you hon! :console:

EVER you mean !

I must go have a lie down:help:

TOTO 99
19-06-2012, 14:24
What used to happen was that you were charged a low % rate for sole agent - and a higher % for multi.

Whoever sells and completes first should charge you.

I worked in an Estate agents for a short while some time back now

It's changed a lot since 1948...:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
19-06-2012, 14:25
It's changed a lot since 1948...:laugh:

:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

Stumped for once - no reply !

Suzanne
19-06-2012, 15:14
when I worked for an estate agent here, if another agent contacted us regarding a property we always checked we didnt have the client registered with us first, if they werent, then they were shown the property, If they then decided to buy, the commission was divided between the two agents which was agreed on prior to the viewing.

Malteser Monkey
19-06-2012, 15:17
when I worked for an estate agent here, if another agent contacted us regarding a property we always checked we didnt have the client registered with us first, if they werent, then they were shown the property, If they then decided to buy, the commission was divided between the two agents which was agreed on prior to the viewing.

Well back in 1948.....:whistle:

Yes we did the same I had forgotten that - that way everyone was happy, lettings too -

Balcony
19-06-2012, 17:53

Would you advise informing each agent that a property is registered with another also? Some agents I have spoken with seem coy on the subject and makes me wonder why!

Balcony
22-06-2012, 17:49
Mods could you close this post please

slodgedad
22-06-2012, 17:55
Thread closed