PDA

View Full Version : Other New port in Granadilla in the South of Tenerife... What's the deal?

Nicole
20-06-2012, 11:11
Hey Guys

I moved to El Medano a few weeks ago and have noticed that there building a new port in the South. What's the general feeling out there about this?

I would have thought that the port in Santa Cruz (45 minutes away...) would be sufficient for the island. I just hope it doesn't wreck the beautiful beaches here or interfere with a windsurfers wind!

Moki Dog
22-06-2012, 17:16
Welcome to El Medano Nicole!

I've lived here in the village for about three years now. The port (that you'll be able to see from Playa Cabezo) is definitely a contentious issue. On one hand with the current economic conditions, it's hard to see how there can be demand for a new port on Tenerife. On the other hand, the jobs that the construction brings, even if they are temporary, are badly needed.

And I share the concerns about what may happen to the beaches if the structure alters the currents or wave paths. I've seen reports that say everything from the beaches will disappear to nothing will happen....

Like you, I hope the beaches and windsurfing - the two big reasons to live here - aren't impacted by the port!

Nicole
23-06-2012, 10:36
Hi Moki

Nice to meet a local :)

It's lovely here...I hope nothing changes!! Enjoy your weekend

Nicole

kingbaker
23-06-2012, 11:08
I have'nt heard anything about this recently. Has the work started yet? :wave:
Any-one got any photos?

Margaretta
23-06-2012, 16:41
Ahem! If you think some construction work is beginning on a plot near you....think again.
In Llano del Camello residents thought that their park was at last being built as the projected site was suddenly being cleared. It occurred that something was wrong when the hole for 'foundations' was becoming deeper and deeper until the digger disappeared below the edge. Truckloads of volcanic rock were taken away day by day until the police came and closed the site. We have seen armies of trucks laden with rock heading for the projected site of the port. Whether the rocks are being used for the new port or other work we don't know but certainly rock pirates are about and leave huge holes for residents to admire. They should have been made to fill in the hole!

kathml
23-06-2012, 18:19
Ahem! If you think some construction work is beginning on a plot near you....think again.
In Llano del Camello residents thought that their park was at last being built as the projected site was suddenly being cleared. It occurred that something was wrong when the hole for 'foundations' was becoming deeper and deeper until the digger disappeared below the edge. Truckloads of volcanic rock were taken away day by day until the police came and closed the site. We have seen armies of trucks laden with rock heading for the projected site of the port. Whether the rocks are being used for the new port or other work we don't know but certainly rock pirates are about and leave huge holes for residents to admire. They should have been made to fill in the hole!

possibly they could use it to get rid of basura take out 100,000 tonnes of rock replace it with basura soil over the top no problem!!