PDA

View Full Version : How do I open a non-residents bank account in Tenerife?

jn1702
25-06-2012, 11:51
Hello! this is my first post and hopefully someone can help me. My Son lives in Tenerife and I visit regularly. I would like to open a non residents bank account but when I tried I was told that I had to prove that I payed tax in the uk. Which I cant do as I am retired! Does anybody have any experience of opening a non residents bank account? If so at what Bank and what did you need to provide? Many thanks

Su1
25-06-2012, 13:04
Hello! this is my first post and hopefully someone can help me. My Son lives in Tenerife and I visit regularly. I would like to open a non residents bank account but when I tried I was told that I had to prove that I payed tax in the uk. Which I cant do as I am retired! Does anybody have any experience of opening a non residents bank account? If so at what Bank and what did you need to provide? Many thanks

You need to take proof of your pension with you and also if you have it your tax return plus passport. I also took a utility bill for proof of address. We had to do this despite already having have a non resident bank account, they neede to update files ...'new' rules regs it seems. We bank with Banca March and have had no probs. Banking is not free in Spain so you will have to pay charges however with Banca March they do a non residents over 60's account (which we have), where the charges are cheaper. Cannot remember how much..sorry. Good luck

atlantico
25-06-2012, 21:34
we opened another account last month, Santander, all they wanted was passport

slodgedad
26-06-2012, 02:27
Whoever you open an account with remember it is nothing like having a current account in the UK.

You will have charges